PDA

View Full Version : US Women's Open !!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:57:56 PM
My work had a raffle and I won one (1) general admission ticket to the US Women's Open at Pumpkin Ridge.

I was hoping to win the deluxe box seat in a private, catered skybox. BUT...still I 'never win anything,' and even though I don't paticularly care for golf, I'm still going to try to go. Should be interesting. :) So that's how I'm going to spend my July 4th, as that's the only day off I have that corresponds with the Open.

Just wanted to share! Is there anything I should know (besides clap quietly ;)) ?

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:03:15 PM
- Chant.

- Yell "Use the force" as someone prepares to swing.

- Take a sign with my name on to show to all cameras, so I get famous.

:D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:08:42 PM
Um...no.

:) I think I'm going to hit on some rich, handsome old men. ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:26:29 PM
Ask someone which one is Colin Montgomerry.

...doubt you'll get that :)

Ace McCloud
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:05:07 PM
Cool, congrats. I can give you some tips, I just went to the US Open.

For starters, bring lots and lots o money. Tis VERY expensive. In chicago, a bottle of water was about 3 bucks or so. I'll give some golf watching tips later, cuz im too lazy right now =P

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:29:26 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Just wanted to share! Is there anything I should know (besides clap quietly ) ?

Just don't make noise during anyone's preswing prep or backswing, and don't use a camera flash if you plan on taking pictures. If you are standing in the gallery along a fairway or behind a green, and a ball heads toward you,
a) don't let it hit you, as it'll hurt a lot
b) if does hit you, make sure you step back from wherever it lands, because hitting a person in the gallery, in most cases, is considered "in-play," and the golfer will likely have to play the ball as it lies.

Useful terminology:

Par - the number of strokes designated as "normal" to place the ball in the cup. Holes will either be Par 3, 4, or 5. Total par for a course varies depending upon the number of each of these holes on a course (though it usual is between 68-72). A golfer achieves par for a hole when he/she places the ball in the cup in the designated number of strokes.

Birdie - 1 under par for a hole (ex. placing the ball into the cup in 2 strokes on a par 3, 3 strokes on a par 4, etc)

Eagle - 2 under par for a hole

Albatross - 3 under par for a hole (only valid for par 4 and 5 holes)

Hole-in-One - Placing the ball in the cup in one stroke.

Bogie - 1 over par for a hole

Double Bogie - 2 over par for a hole

Triple Bogie - 3 over par for a hole

Scores displayed on the leaderboard will be shown as number relative to par. It's always the first number displayed. A score of -1 mean the golfer is 1 under par so far in the tournament. A score of +1 means 1 over par for the tournament. The current hole which the golfer is playing (1-18) will also be shown, or if the golfer has completed the day's round, the score for the round will be shown (such as 68, meaning 68 total strokes for the round).

I suppose I could go on, but you probably don't care that much. This'll give you a little bit of info on what's going on as you watch.

Root for Annika Sorenstam for me. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:18:05 AM
Annika Sorenstam it is. :)

*hed spins*

JMK
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:20:00 PM
Could you steal Grace Park and mail her to me please?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:23:53 AM
I'll see what I can do. ;)

JMK
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:41:11 PM
Much appreciated. I'll forward you my new home address. :)