PDA

View Full Version : Combat Basics - Sameer Aryan

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:58:22 AM
Unlike the studious looking training room of yesterday, this one provided ample space for sparring with weapons or in unarmed combat. For those that were learning the sabre, plenty of practice droids could be used to hone a Padawan's skill of parrying blaster fire while learning to control their movements with the Force.

That was a little to advanced for today. Navaria was quite certain that Sameer's involvement with fighting was limited and would be starting off with the basics until the time was right to introduce sabre combat.

If one could not stay on their feet during regular combat, giving them even a practice sabre was asking for a lot of trouble. Her Padawan's confidence was an issue and she didn't want him to feel overwhelmed.

She shed her outer robe, folding it, and setting it on top of the teacher's desk in the far corner and began to loosen up with some stretching exercises.

Sameer Aryan
Jun 29th, 2003, 09:43:32 AM
A few minutes later, Navaria's robes floated in front of her. Her Padawan had practiced all night long his control over objects and had finally mastered it. Standing at the door, Sameer was proudly showing his Master that he had finally made it!

"Wasn't that hard after all!", he said joyously. Sam was starting today's training in a great mood.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 29th, 2003, 11:55:30 AM
A ripple in the Force had informed Navaria that Sameer was showing off his new skills that he acquired the day before. She brought her arms down from stretching the muscles, and turned around with a smile unseen by Sameer, for her cloak was blocking the view. A pleasant way to start the day since her Padawan was in good spirits.

"I see that. Good work, though I would appreciate it being hung back up before we begin."

Sameer could hear the joking manner of his Master but there was that hint of seriousness that was associated with Navaria when a lesson was going to start.

Sameer Aryan
Jun 29th, 2003, 04:14:37 PM
"I'm Sorry ma'am! I was gonna put it back as it was...I swear!". Sameer replied, slightly afraid that his Master might get angry.

Navaria might have been joking, but her Padawan took it seriously. He brought the robes towards him through the Force and folded them back neatly, just as the Knight had done previously. Sameer finally put it back where it was before.

"So what are we doing today?"

The Padawan looked around and noticed that it looked like a combat room.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 1st, 2003, 09:24:12 PM
"I told you yesterday before we departed for the afternoon."

Navaria extended her arms outwards as if displaying the room.

"Combat today..."

The light in the room made her blue eyes dance a little.

"... remember?"

Sameer Aryan
Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:54:07 AM
"Now yes. Sorry, I have a bad memory."

Indeed, Sameer had a hard time remembering information. He would forget someone's name two minutes after being introduced.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:18:56 PM
"It is all right. At least you remembered to show up."

Navaria gave him a reassuring wink.

"Now... I need to know what skills you have in fighting hand to hand or with any weapons... including blasters. Be honest if you have had none."

She wanted Sameer to have a basic understanding of combat... With all the recent problems with security ... Navaria was making it a point to train her Padawans in this area.

Sameer Aryan
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:47:28 PM
"I think you've figured out that I have none", Sameer said confidently. "I once sparred with Wei, but that was the only serious combat I can remember having. And it was without any kind of weapons."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:50:31 PM
'Ah ... Wei is a good one to go against hand to hand."

She showed a proud smile.

"He was my Padawan once."

Backing off to give some space between them, Navaria stood in a defensive posture and explained the reason for her stance.

"The point is to give as little target for your opponent to hit. Notice how you only see my left side? It also gives me enough room to move my arms to deflect oncoming attacks. Keeping your arms closer to your body can provide strength and quickness."

She pivoted so Sameer could see her from the back.

"My legs are only a few feet apart, giving ample room to move side to side, and back and forth to attack or be on the defensive."

Sameer Aryan
Jul 7th, 2003, 10:04:23 AM
Wow! You learn something new everyday. Wei was Navaria's Padawan eh...

Sameer listened attentively to what Navaria had to say. He positionned himself like her while she was explaining the benefits of her posture.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:16:46 PM
"No. Close but not quite right."

She stood normal and moved behind Sameer, placing on hand on his shoulder and the other on his side. With some nudging, Navaria was able to get him into a better position.

"You are too ridgid. Relax. Your body needs to be loose in order to find a proper flow. Much like it is to meditate to open your mind to the Force."

Sameer Aryan
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:54:36 AM
Sameer became even more tense when Navaria told him he wasn't in the right position. This gave her a hard time positioning him properly but she finally made it. When she was done, Sam took note of his mistakes so they wouldn't happen again. He also loosened himself up a bit.

OOC: Sorry for the late reply! Got busy.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:59:42 PM
OOC~ No worries :)

IC~ She returned back in front of Sameer, getting back into a proper defensive posture.

"Good. Much better. Your reflexes should come natural to you. Nothing should be forced."

And then Navaria stood up straight and laced her fingers together.

"Now ... try and hit me."

Sameer Aryan
Aug 4th, 2003, 03:38:04 PM
"Why would I want to hit my own Master?"

There was confusion on Sameer's face. He knew it was part of the exercice but he didn't think he would be able to hit someone without a good reason. Aryan gently kicked Navaria. His foot barely touched the side of her stomach.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:21:10 PM
Navaria didn't even move out of the way or block the attack. Even before Sameer went to attack, she felt the lack of response from his mind.

Her brow raised.

"Need reason?"

She took a deep breath and stepped forward, aiming her fist towards his chest. It wasn't a hard blow, nor a difficult punch to dodge, but Navaria wanted to get the point across.

Sameer Aryan
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:31:30 PM
Sameer backed off a bit when he saw the punch coming.

"Okay I got my reason! Do you mind if I just imitate your moves at first? Because I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I know they should be reflexes but I've never... you know, never had to hit anyone."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 11th, 2003, 09:50:00 PM
"If you wish... This was my way of seeing how you reacted at first. I get a sense of what you know by how you move and by what you think.

Stand next to me ... that way you have a better look at what I am doing. Being in front of me shall give you a mirror image and is not imitation."

Sameer Aryan
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:53:14 PM
"Ok"

Sameer placed himself beside Navaria and took the initial position she had shown him. He looked at himself to check if he didn't make any mistakes again and thought he was okay. Sam also loosened his muscles a bit. He looked back at his Master.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:59:00 PM
"Good. Now follow me..."

She started off with some basic punches, keeping an eye on Sameer that he was keeping up. The Knight up the difficultly and began to jab forward with her hands, inching back and forth with her legs as if going against an unseen opponent.

Sameer Aryan
Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:47:40 PM
Sameer smiled when he saw his Master punching in the air. He found it funny but knew it wasn't the time to laugh. He imitated her punching in the air. He looked forward and closed his hands tighter. The Padawan almost saw an imaginary opponent in front of him. He kept punching in the air.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:37:19 PM
She continued to up the difficulty by throwing simpliestic kicks, making sure that there was nothing fancy involved. Time to see how nimble her Padawan was and perhaps they could move onto something that required more balance and concentration. One thing that Navaria was able to pick up was that her Padawan was slowly getting into the moment. There was a sense that he was envisioning himself in combat and it showed in movements.

Sameer Aryan
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:20:24 PM
Sameer looked at Navaria, standing on his left, and observed her kicks closely. He first tried to kick with his right leg, because he was right-handed and thought it would be easier for him. To his surprise, his leg flew like an elastic and came back into position. He liked the feeling. He tried it again and again.

"Cool!"

After a few minutes, Aryan decided to kick with his left leg. He put his right foot in front and changed his position before lifting his left foot. He felt strange. It didn't come to him as easily. Sameer kicked poorly in front of him.

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 5th, 2003, 09:45:28 PM
She heard the frustration next to her and stopped.

"Ah ... you are right-handed?"

Sameer Aryan
Sep 14th, 2003, 04:28:50 PM
"Yes", the Padawan replied, still concentrated on his leg's movement. He kept trying over and over, to finally see minor improvements in his kicks.

OOC: Sorry, school's much tougher this year. I don't have time to post during weekdays.

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:41:23 PM
"Focus on what you know. You are right handed so lead with your left. Once that becomes more of a natural response, then move on to the unfamiliar. At least then you have a bases for what to do correctly then stumbling all over yourself and learning nothing."