PDA

View Full Version : P. is.s is censored?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:29:32 PM
Goodness why? Its one of my favorite terms for getting too drunk.

Charley
Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:15:56 PM
(shrugs) Good question.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:29:10 AM
Piss.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:10:51 AM
I was under the impression piss wasn't a censor word now, but apparently it is at GJO. Is that some kind of oversight, or was it left intentionally?

I'll wait to change my post pending an answer.

Edit: the offending post is in the Bar and Grill forum, which might make a difference. Still, it'd help to know.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:04:27 PM
Would you say the word "piss" in front of an eldery relative whom you respect highly and typically do not curse around?

Censoring has only two options. It is either on or off (which I have hacked so we can do "on" or "off" on a forum by forum basis). There is no seperate censor list for individual forums/sub-forums.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:09:22 PM
If you can't invent a creative option, I say you shouldn't say it at all, but that's just me. Case in point = frell. Works just fine for most of us.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:11:41 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
If you can't invent a creative option, I say you shouldn't say it at all, but that's just me. Case in point = frell. Works just fine for most of us. Exactly!!! :)

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:38:20 PM
oo, I even got a reply in bold! And a smiley! Today is my day! :)

Pierce Tondry
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:59:06 PM
Because the issue came up recently, I had thought said word was deemed acceptable in general usage, although I admit to not knowing what went down about the situation. Apparently I was wrong and I'm sorry about that, but that's 20/20 hindsight there.

C'mon. Give me some credit here. I've got an RP placed on Meras because of the potential for using swears. A simple 'yep, it's still censored' was all I needed to know.

Anyways, I'll go give that post a twitch. Thanks guys.

Edit: Incidentally, the way it was used was "pissed" (as in angry) not "piss" (to take a leak or get too drunk) and that happens to be something I consider fairly harmless, which was part of my confusion.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:22:30 PM
Ugh. I thought we uncensored it.

TheHolo.Net
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:46:20 PM
Looks at his replies to this topic

Nope, I never conveyed that, nor agreed to it.

What may have caused the confusion, is the fact that the censor is not enabled in this forum.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:16:33 PM
-sigh-

Charley
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:34:34 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Would you say the word "piss" in front of an eldery relative whom you respect highly and typically do not curse around?

Censoring has only two options. It is either on or off (which I have hacked so we can do "on" or "off" on a forum by forum basis). There is no seperate censor list for individual forums/sub-forums.

That's highly unrealistic. That being considered, all wording that isn't respectful would have to be pulled from use here. That is 70% of everything posted, give or take.

While we're at it, lets remove the guns in ET.

I can understand the censor and even abide by it, but I'm calling this particular interpretation into scrutiny. I think looking at the MPAA for a meter stick on the issue is best, as this does set the standard in the acceptibility of metaphors.

Piss is in the same category as butt, jerk, etc. It isn't going to make something PG-13, much less R.

TheHolo.Net
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:17:21 PM
I find the word piss to be vulgar and immature while I find the words jerk and butt to only be immature. Vulgarity clinches it. That is my stand on this right now and I have not been convinced otherwise.

Charley
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:44:38 PM
And what of crap?

TheHolo.Net
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:49:07 PM
My radar has not spotted it being used in a way I find vulgar, while I have seen and edited out cases of the usage of the word piss that were used in a vulgar manner.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:01:04 AM
At the risk of Agent Charley hunting me down, I agree with Ogre on this. Though I do say 'pissed off' some, it is a rather vulgar word. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:27:23 AM
I agree. You guys just need to stop being such potty mouths. :p

Pierce Tondry
Aug 29th, 2003, 02:01:22 PM
If you had the ability to swear, you might think otherwise. ;)

I'm not trying to nitpick on this, but next time it would be helpful if there was a direct response on the issue the first time it arises, rather than an ambiguously interpretable non-answer.

Whether the word is censored or not is a non-issue to me. I personally don't think of it in vulgar terms, but I admit I really don't think to use it to begin with. In any case, this is a public board and erring on the side of caution is wise. Might as well leave it.

SAURRON
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:20:53 PM
-sigh-

Ditto