PDA

View Full Version : Dude, where's my Batmobile?

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:07:03 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1056202774,30970,

It might work. Doubtful, but MIGHT :)

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:18:49 PM
No.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:19:50 PM
Hmmm I find this fascinating... It would be a good chance for Ashton to either sink like a rock, or swim like a...bat?

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:20:46 PM
Or a good chance for the Batman movies to lose all their credibility.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:23:27 PM
Yeah, like they did when that Michael Keaton guy took over :rolleyes

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:24:11 PM
Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:24:14 PM
And I was so hoping that this one wouldn't suck. Gah, by bye, Batman. Holy bad casting choice.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:25:41 PM
Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

What had Keaton done before Batman? Heck, what has he done SINCE?

Remove Batman, he has had a nothing career. But you are willing to hail him as the best Batman, and not with Kutcher a chance? How is this fair?

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:27:27 PM
Kutcher is way too goofy to be Batman.

Charley
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:30:38 PM
It'll be noticably better than Batman & Robin.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:31:36 PM
Kutcher is way too goofy to be Batman.
All he has played is goofy. Keaton has done goofy too, Multiplicity.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:37:22 PM
Multiplicity was after Batman, and that wasn't entirely goofy, it was a comedy. Beetlejuice was the same, a comedy. Kutcher is just generally goofy, and acts like a retard.

I don't see him being serious enough to play Batman.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:38:56 PM
Kutcher reminds me of the George Clooney version, it just didn't fit, hell Robin looked buffer than Batman and that ain't right..if Kutcher gets the role, I'm not watching it, it's doomed to fail....

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:40:26 PM
Proof goofy types can be great actors?

Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.

I rest my case :)

Charley
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:41:13 PM
Before you write him off, keep in mind that comedy actors are EXTREMELY versatile, when they need to be. Not only do they have to be able to act, but they also have to know how to be funny, which often isn't the same as acting. Can anyone imagine Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) from Office Space playing a serious role?

Echo: Foxtrot, Bravo!

Jinn Fizz
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:16:30 PM
Geez, forget about the arguments about whether Ashton Kutcher is too goofy to play Batman, because there's more pressing problem with this whole idea....

Ashton Kutcher is simply too young to play Batman, as far as I'm concerned! :p

Charley
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:23:04 PM
Depends on the slant of the movie. Could be the beginning years.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:25:52 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Proof goofy types can be great actors?

Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.

I rest my case :) Wow, you just keep missing my point. Comedy actors are great actors, there's no question. Robin Williams and Jim Carrey have both proven they can do serious roles as well as comedy. Ashton on the other hand is just entirely too goofy, I don't even consider him a comedy actor. I just can't picture Ashton in a serious role that will be entertaining.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:57:15 PM
He is way too young and wouldn't work. I think they should go with Guy Pierce myself.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:36:47 PM
I just read the article it seems like to me that Nolan wants Pierce but the studio wants Kutcher, is it me or does it sound like the whole Ratner mess again. Sigh, DC comic movies are just a mess they have so many good comics they can make into films, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Aquaman that they haven't had one film in over 5 years, while Marvel is shelling them out like there is no tomorrow.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:45:55 PM
A Green Lantern movie would be amazing.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:53:49 AM
Oh yeah, a GL movie would be awesome, especially if you could take fifteen years off of Mel Gibson and put him in as Hal Jordan.

Or, if you wanted to go old school, cast Cary elwes as Alan Scott. That would be reeeaaaally cool.

Screw Kyle Rayner.
Screw Ron Marz.
With a big, big screwdriver of unrelenting pain and suffering.
And screw the guy that currently writes the series, too. I hate him almost as much as I do Marz. Marz killed Hal and brought about Kyle. He susks. And he's a jerk in real life. I'm so glad he's with that POS line Cross-Gen now, and unable to ruin yet another classic character.

Princess Sunflower
Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:52:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
He is way too young and wouldn't work. I think they should go with Guy Pierce myself.

I agree...he's just way too young. I wouldn't count him out to play Robin instead.

In any case, this guy is getting way to much exposure lately. Seems like he's the lead story on every entertainment news show and magazine these days. People Magazine even just named him one of the 25 hottest bachelors.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:40:57 AM
WHAT?

:x pleeease no

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:29:11 AM
I think DC will never make a REALLY good movie again. With Superman and Batman they are intent on reinventing their stories before doing crossovers and similar. Catwoman has Owen Wilson and is going to be scripted by the guy who wrote Third Rock from the Sun, so that might be made comediatric. And the rest of the characters come of to me as cheesy. I've seen the movie with Green Lantern, it was comical when he used his powers :)

Also, I have to question wether Superman would be popular in this day in age. I look at the Marvel-dominated Diamonond comic sales chart, and see Batman riding high at #2. Where is the highest Superman comic(barring JLA)? 46. It isn't even in the top few DC comics, it is their #12 best seller. Now, why is this? Yes, you could argue it is just a bad creative team to blame. But surely it would have a core of fans who'd stick buy it? Surely people would give it a try occasionally?

Or MAYBE, few care about Superman these days. Maybe the entire Superman premise isn't popular these days? Could be.

The best franchise I think they have barring Batman is Birds of Prey. I just started collecting that because of Gail Simone, and it is brilliant. But I hear the TV series sucked majorly, so they screwed that one up.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:16:11 AM
I completely agree with the idea that Ashton Kutcher is way overexposed right now. As it is, I've never really liked him anyways. I like That 70's Show, but I think Kelso is a total dork, can't stand him or that dippy Jackie.

And to top it off, the guy is apparently doing the nasty with Demi Moore :p. I did read the article in People magazine a week or 2 back about their relationship, and it was interesting to see that more than one anonymous friend of his was quoted as saying he's acting like a total jerk now, and that some suspect that the relationship with Demi Moore is just a career- and visibility-advancing tool for him. :p

Anywho, I wouldn't be interested in a Batman movie that featured him in any role, because I'm sick of looking at him :x.

And Owen Wilson is in Catwoman? Argh, another guy who drives me nuts. :x

I don't think any of these projects will get off the ground since they've been stuck in development hell for so long. I would be interested in a Wonder Woman movie, but I'm sure we'll have plenty of arguments over casting for that one as well...for quite a while Sandra Bullock's name was attached to that one, and while I have absolutely nothing against Sandra Bullock in general, I don't think she'd be right for the WW role. :\

And Reaper Fett, yeah, Birds of Prey was pretty much a disaster. I only watched the first episode, but it tanked pretty badly. :p

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:21:46 AM
Apparently it wont be Bullock any more.

Oh, and Kutcher is in a movie by the guy who directed THe Sixth Sense soon :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:36:58 AM
M. Night is making a new movie?? Ossum. :D

I think he's too young too...but you never know. I'd watch it, just for curiosity's sake.

And...Owen Wilson is Catwoman!? Ugh.

;)

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:39:56 AM
:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:36:58 AM
Yeah its called the Woods, no clue what he will be like in that movie.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:34:31 PM
Dood, I think it could work. He's not that goofy IRL as he is in the dumb movies I'd bet. I think it may be good.

Still, I'm not holding my breath on it. Just as long as they don't cast Avril Lavigne as his sidekick or something. :\

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:43:32 PM
She wouldnt make a good Robin ;)

Jinn Fizz
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:42:15 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
And...Owen Wilson is Catwoman!? Ugh.

;)

bwahahahaha!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Sage Hazzard
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:10:04 AM
Actually, on that M. Night Shamalan part: Kutcher is in it as well as Kirsten Dunst and Jaquin Pheonix. Shamalan has said it's the best story ever. :lol Which is a good thing. :lol It's called the Woods, like has been said, and what it is about is secretive sort of at the moment. If it's the best idea ever, it's probably going to be mysterious until the end. Shamalan is my favorite director, btw. Unbreakable is still my favorite Comic Boom/Comic Book inspired movie. :)

And that brings me to the point that Shamalan is an excellent caster. And he can bring the best out of his actors. In fact, and this is odd, he wanted to do Superman but it never got final... Which sucks. But if he casted Kutcher for his film maybe he isn't all bad...

Okay, I TRY to be an upper, glass half full guy about Comic Book Movies. So here goes some PROS on Ashton as Bats:

In my opinion, it's easier to act the opposite of how you really are. Try it. Do two scenes, one goofy like Kelso, one serious like Batman. See which one is easier and better.

Ashton would have a great chin/jaw line and voice for when he's in the suit, as well as a playboy look when he's not. I know he gets all squeely and high pitched on that 70's show, but watch interviews and his voice is deep. Imagine some gravel in it and it'd be Batman.

He has a workable body. It's not that bad, and his frame is similar to Batman. He could get in the right shape.

He WANTS to be Batman apparently. I think it's obvious that this is the kind of guy who digs comic books. So he'd probably do his damndest to nail it, working on his posture, voice, tone, and cadence.

Okay, that's all I could think of. Oh and Grev, I know he's goofy, but look at Carrey and Williams. They can't contain themselves in interviews, often yelling and standing up. Funny, but it's like they have ADD. But they're really good actors. How you are in RL is TOTALLY different than acting.

Oh, and on Superman being a popular, bankable film, I think it is. In America anyway. I think with the whole war over seas, terrorism, etc. that Superman's ideals would probably hit a chord with youngsters. They're frightened and want a idol, a hero, to look to. Although I think they could find one in a marine/cop/fire fighter, they'd want a Super Hero. Superman stands for Truth, Justice, and the American way. I think that'd be popular to youth and even others. Plus Smallville enjoys good ratings, so Superman is popular. Also Wizard ranked Superman: Red Son as the best selling comic, or whatever, where they have the top ten. :)

BTW, NOTE: I think for the same reasons mentioned above, Marvel needs to get a Captain America movie underway. I think it's more likely to make money now than ever. Plus I love Cap, and the Ultimate uniform he has is great for the big screen. I just don't see why they're making Iron Fist and not Captain America...

JMK
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:44:22 AM
Don't you mean Iron Man? ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 26th, 2003, 10:54:17 AM
No JMK, Iron Fist too :)

And the word is they want to make one, based on Ultimate Cap (Not the Ultimates though).

Dyan Kharis
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:57:20 PM
Christopher Nolan would be out his mind to consider Ashton in any Batman movie. I know that he aims to focus on the Gotham noir atmosphere of the comic book and regain the character's dark detective persona. Guy Pearce would be an improvement (bearing in mind his performance in Memento). Personally, someone of a larger build and perhaps more sophiscated if possible would be much more preferable.

I have to admit Ben Affleck is a perfect Bruce Wayne!!!!!

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:01:41 AM
Originally posted by Dyan Obrosk
I have to admit Ben Affleck is a perfect Bruce Wayne!!!!! Even though I disagree with him being an even remotely decent Batman, I'm sure they wouldn't pick him just for doing Daredevil.

Oh and Guy Pearce would be the greatest Batman ever.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:41:47 AM
Ben? I can't see that, even with Daredevil, I still see Ben as the jerky guy who liked to do *ahem* in Mallrats...it's like I'll always see Keanu as the goofy guy he was in Bill and Ted.....and yes, Guy Pierce would make a great Batman.....

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:30:01 AM
IMHO, Guy Pearce's physical image is amiss. Too small and all teeth to carry the role of Bruce Wayne. (He kinda reminds of a chimp hehehe.) Though the essence of the character is well within his repertoire. No doubt about that.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:38:36 AM
Hugh Jackman as Batman.

Come on, admit it. You would want to see that

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:52:23 AM
I have alot of respect for Hugh Jackman and he is Wolverine allover. Another plus is he can carry the role of a dark anti-hero type very well. He has the look and the appeal. But can he bear the role of a tall statured sophisticated aristocract like Bruce Wayne.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:33:42 AM
*ahem* Did you SEE Kate and Leopold? No? Didn't think so.

Hugh would be ideal, yes, but he's got his finger in too many comics already. :(

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:08:42 AM
Jackman would be a passable Batman IMO, but not a good one.

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:52:42 PM
And I am not sure Jackman has the height either. Bruce Wayne in my book always had a high-brow, strong jaw, and sculptured-like visage. That is why I mentioned Ben Affleck. Darken his hair and have Affleck's demeanor rather subdued, quiet, and dangerous. And has the height too. IMHO, he is very passable as a younger Bruce Wayne.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:28:04 PM
How about Jude Law? I think he could pull off Batman. I have also heard Christian Bale mentioned a lot.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:37:08 PM
Jude Law no, he just doesnt fit the bill IMO. Bale would work good though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:38:26 PM
Wasn't Jude Law mentioned back in the World Finest Days? Or was that as Superman?

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:41:11 PM
He was Superman, I think it was Farrell who was being mentioned as Batman.

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:08:01 PM
I think Jude Law would be okay, his features are too light though. But Colin Farrell and Christian Bale would be outstanding, if the proper designers and make-up crew primped them up.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:27:27 PM
How can you say some guy has the wrong pysique when Michael Keaton is a weed and yet pulled off a superb Batman? I would call Jackman as a better Batman simply because he has some acting talent, because I can imagine him able to get the right mannerisms and dualality of Batman.

Batman doesnt need to be tall or built like a brick crap house, he needs attitude and mannerisms. Keaton pulled that off extremely well. I would suggest Jackman could be equally as good.

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:35:39 PM
Yes, but Michael Keaton was particularly talented with duplicity though. Honestly, I really can't say whether or not Jackman would be suited for the role until I actually saw him as Bruce Wayne and the costumed alter-ego. Personally, something is missing in Jackman. Some key element.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:54:23 PM
Remember, Jackman IS tall. James Marsden had to stand on higher areas in scenes with him, so Cyclops was taller than him.

Dyan Kharis
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:59:10 PM
What is his precise height? Because remember, Wolverine is a very short character in the comics, well under six feet.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:02:52 PM
He is 6 1 or 6 2 IIRC.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:25:17 PM
Still I don't think Jackman is right only because If I saw him in another comic book movie I would think Wolverine.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:43:13 PM
Yeah, that's a problem I get too. It doesn't matter so much if they wear heavy makeup for example (Rebecca Romijn Stamos being in X-Men and Punisher doesn't bother me), and I let Clooney off because I refuse to think that a guy perfect for a few Marvel roles has already missed his chance. But when I watch, say, Catwoman, I'm going to be watching Storm in my mind, not Catwoman (Although maybve a lack of wig might save her).

Sage Hazzard
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:19:02 AM
Don't you mean Iron Man?

Iron Fist, though Iron Man is in production too. Iron Fist will be played by Ray Park.

Wolverine is 5 foot 6 in the comics isn't he? I think I remember it being that.

Height really shouldn't be a problem. Look at LOTR and how they did the height thing. They should be able to make a shortish actor look a little taller.

Batman, in my mind, needs toughness over anything. You need to believe he is a total tough guy. Just look at Batman: Year One to see Batman's threshold for pain. It's not that he's invincible, it's that he refuses to let the pain get to him. There's a wonderful painting by Alex Ross that exibits this. It's Batman, sans costume, back turned to the viewer. His back is scarred, stitched, and wrecked beyond imagination. And his costume hangs on a rack in front of him. It's wonderful. That's Batman to me.

Yeah, apparently Cap might be played by Brad Pitt. Actually, today I had a wonderful idea for Captain America. I think they should show the entire first movie from War World II, with Cap embedded in a batallion, maybe on a mission. Kind of like Saving Private Ryan except with Cap. And they're not saving a Private, they're on their way to the Red Skull's base or something. Then it could end in a cliff hanger, with him under ice. NOTE: Ultimate Cap rocks.

Oh, and Stamos in Punisher is great! I'm so glad they're going to have Joan the Mouse in this movie!! With that and the brutal, real life portrayal of violence they're promising, it seems this movie might just kick butt. The dude(what's his name) actually looks a lot like the way Punisher is drawn in the covers of Garth Ennis' series.

ReaperFett
Jun 29th, 2003, 07:12:04 AM
Thomas Jane :)

Jedieb
Jun 30th, 2003, 02:48:40 PM
I can actually see Kelso as a perfect young Bruce Wayne. If they want to go to a Batman Year One type of story he could certainly handle that side of the role. I just don't know if he could turn it around and be dark and edgy enough to pull off Batman. Physically he seems fine for the role. He just needs to put on some weight. But hell, if they could get Mr. Mom/Beetlejuice to pass, they could certainly get Kelso. I think his press agent has done a good job of getting him "out there." He's got that lame MTV Candid Camera rip off going and That 70's Show getting him plenty of exposure to young viewers. The studio is probably drooling.

Jackman would be an excellent Batman IMO. He's an even better physical fit than Ashton. He's older, and Kate and Leo showed he could certainly pull off the well to do aristocrat. But would he want ANOTHER superhero role? I don't know if he or the studio would go for that.

JMK
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:29:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Eric Bana. Can he pull off the Bruce Wayne part of the role? I don't know, but I think he would make a good Batman, or a good James Bond for that matter.

ReaperFett
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:33:34 PM
I would think Bana would be good, and I would love it just for the possible thread title, based on the old TV series theme song.

"BANABANABANABANABANABANABANABANA BATMAN!" :D

JMK
Jun 30th, 2003, 05:21:02 PM
:lol