PDA

View Full Version : Aliens....Gorman and Burke?

THX 1138
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:15:10 AM
This is for anyone who loves James Cameron's Aliens.
My little theory....
in Aliens, Carter Burke opens the cannisters with the facehuggers in the medlab and leaves Ripleys pulse rifle outside so the facehuggers can infect Ripley and Newt.
Now think about this, Burke would have to open the cannisters, and there would be loads of time for a deadly facehugger to get him.It seems pretty impossible. Now what if he had help?
Who's the only other person who is not 100%? Lt. Gorman. Its him and Burke who visit Ripley in the first place, and even though Gorman redeems himself at the end...he might have had it in for Ripley from earlier, when she'd taken over after the marines got their asses kicked. Gorman says he only has done 2 combat drops....now is'nt that weird considering what they suspect is out there? In the original script Gorman was meant to have tried smuggle the aliens back to Earth. Maybe Gorman was a company man in the marines, along to make sure the marines did what the company wanted?
What do you reckon?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:23:30 AM
I reckon that youve watched it one too many times :)

My money would be on Bishop, not Gorman. The 'facehuggers' would be powerless against his greater strength plus I think they could sense he wasnt a suitable host. Bishop had been in the lab as well, dissecting a dead one. Remember...Burke had conveniently forgotten to mention to Ripley that a synthetic was on board ;)

THX 1138
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:50:38 AM
I've only seen it 5 times..........:D

Yes, but what about the fact that Bishop has behavioural inhibitors which mean that he cannot, through his own actions, or indirectly, cause any harm to humans. Also, this would make his later help to Ripley seem puzzling to say the least.
Well, thats IMO.

Denali Gue
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:43:42 PM
Bishop states that he has behavioral inhibitors....doesnt mean he actually does. Supposedly, so did the one in the first movie.

both are machines and can be programmed as such. What if Bishop received new programming during the mission?

THX 1138
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:46:24 PM
^Possibly, but this would not explain his attitude later in the film. Why then would he have helped Ripley to escape?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:24:53 PM
Could be he was instructed to make it back with what he could if the mission were to fail.

Zasz Grimm
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:10:04 AM
Bishop wouldn't do that. On my readings of the Aliens books, they do have inhibtors, and there's a certain law. It escapes me for the moment. But this law is in a synthetic's mind, and they "can't harm, or mby mission of action, allow to be harmed a human being." :)

And I don't think Gorman would be stupid enough to get in a room with a Facehugger. Even if he is company, he isn't stupid. He wants to get out alive.

THX 1138
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:20:17 AM
OK, but if you rule out Gorman and Bishop, whos left? Vasquez? Hudson? Neither of them like Burke and would'nt help him, their loyalty is to Hicks, and we know Hicks is 100%.
Bishop has the inhibitors like Zasz Grimm said, so he would not be involved. Gorman is the only guy left, and it would be impossible for Burke to plant the facehuggers by himself, I'm not suggesting that Burke got Gorman to go in and throw the facehuggers by the tail, just that Burke needed help, to carry those big containers, syphion off the water, plant them etc. He would have needed help, he could'nt leave the containers slightly ajar, the facehuggers could have got out.
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mac/aliens/fhug.jpg

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:38:43 AM
I think it was just Burke acting alone. If he had made it back, he probably would have garnered some huge promotion/major bonus.

Zasz Grimm
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:46:17 PM
Watch the scene again when Ripley is waking up, you'll see a container knocked over. It's possible he merely kicked it, and ran. Or, he could have tied some sort of rope around it, and stood right next to the door, and pulled it. After pulling, leaving, lock.

Thus, successfully screwing over Newt and Ripley.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:21:46 AM
*knocks a container over close to Zasz :mischief

I agree that it had prolly just happened....the container is still rolling slightly.

Zasz, you havent said who you thought it was, only who you think it isnt :p

Zasz Grimm
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:19:37 PM
Burke, of course. None of the marines would've. Gorman isn't that stupid. Bishop can't.

Burke's a company man. They want it for their bio-weapons division. Of course it was him.

:)

Jarek T'chort
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:44:53 AM
Maybe......Yeah it was Burke, but a rope by the door? No thats too difficult to pull, off too many things to go wrong.
Your right though, Gorman is'nt the guy, I think he's more an honourable soldier type.
Another thing about Burke though, after he abandons the Marines, Ripley and Newt and locks the door, how in the hell was there any chance of him escaping? He would have to get to the landing area which I doubt he knew, through all those Xenomorphs! He was'nt armed either.
Finally, he said in the APC after the first engagment he could'nt give Ripley permission to nuke Hadley's Hope, ("I know its an emotional time" speech) so what other way could he have possibly thought he would survive down there with only three Marines and Ripley?