PDA

View Full Version : An OT character returns (No Spoiler tags)

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:52:02 PM
As Episode III bridges the prequel era with that of the original trilogy, many of the characters and situations will begin to resemble or tie in with those found in Episodes IV, V, and VI. A character that played a relatively small but important part in Return of the Jedi will return in a younger incarnation as actor Genevieve O'Reilly plays Mon Mothma in the next Star Wars movie.
O'Reilly has performed such stage roles as Ruth in Cosi, Veronica in The Ugly Man and Olivia in Twelfth Night. On television, she has appeared on "Beastmaster," "Life" and "All Saints." Her film credits include Avatar, and most recently, she played Officer Wirtz in The Matrix: Reloaded.

In Episode VI, Mon Mothma, played by Caroline Blakiston, appears during the Rebel Alliance briefing prior to the attack on the second Death Star. She is the leader of the Rebellion, and expanded universe publications explain that Mon Mothma was once an idealistic young Senator during the fall of the Republic -- the era in which Episode III is set.

Keep checking starwars.com for more casting updates in the coming weeks. For the full making of Episode III experience, complete with daily diary reports and on-set webcam, make the jump to Hyperspace today.

She is the leader of the Rebellion, and expanded universe publications explain that Mon Mothma was once an idealistic young Senator during the fall of the Republic -- the era in which Episode III is set.

That's right, you mention the EU ;)

Well, I'm glad she's in.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:58:41 PM
That is very cool I am glad to see her in it. Will Garm be in it now, he would be cool in the movie. Hopefully they will announce Tarkin soon as well.

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:01:24 PM
I hope Travolta plays him. Only so I can starta thread saying "Look who's Tarkin!" ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:18:54 PM
LOL I hope not, If I went picked the person I go with Jason Issacs he is great at playing villains.

ReaperFett
Jun 20th, 2003, 03:27:49 AM
It could be Walken just about now :)

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:39:32 AM
I'm still hoping for Gabriel Byrne for Tarkin.

This Mon Mothma appearance is good news though!

THX 1138
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:47:41 AM
Mon Mothma, well she is the leader of the Rebellion, only right she should be in Episode III. Glad to hear it.
I tell you who'd make a great Tarkin, someone who'd be perfect, Ralph Finnes. English, serious, clipped voice like Peter Cushing, that kind of drawn face. He reminds me of Cushing in the way he acts, so I think he'd be superb and totaly beliveable.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:14:53 AM
He's my #2 pick for Tarkin, and if he were selected as #1 I wouldn't really complain except for the fact that he's a little too tall for Cushing.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:33:22 AM
Fiennes would work, I am okay with Byrne as well. The other candidate to me who could pull it off is Gary Oldman he has a knack at playing good villains.

THX 1138
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:56:40 PM
Hmm, for me Oldman is a little to rough for Tarkin, I see him as more refined (almost a pun :D ). Plus the fact would'nt he be too old to play the young Tarkin?
I'd be pleasantly suprised if Oldman could pull it off though.

Sanus Paean
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:28:32 PM
Originally posted by JMK
He's my #2 pick for Tarkin, and if he were selected as #1 I wouldn't really complain except for the fact that he's a little too tall for Cushing.

He'd be the YOUNG Tarkin which is to say, people shrink when they get older, your spinal cord compacts and thus you shrink.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:00:59 PM
I get that, but generally people don't ever shrink more than an inch or 2. Fiennes is 5'11 about and Cushing is lucky if he was 5'7". That's a little more than osteoporosis and a hunch back.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:17:58 PM
Well here are heights of the mentioned actors

Gary Oldman 5'10''
Jason Isaacs 5'11''
Gabriel Byrne 5'11''
Christopher Walken 6' 0''

Heck of the guys we named Oldman is the shortest but only by one inch. Really though Height to me shouldn't be a problem if you do good camera angles the audience would never know.

Kack Mebuff
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:04:07 PM
I'd like to see Ralph Fiennes as Tarkin. He just fits that role so well. And he's young enough too.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:43:54 PM
JMC, you are totally right. Isaacs would rawk as Tarkin. Even if it was only one or two snide remarks in a snooty British accent, I'd dig it.

However, I just found this tidbit, quoted from a SW insider, I believe. "There will be no cameos of characters from the Classic Trilogy in Episode III. No Chewie, Mon Mothma, or Tarkin."

Huh? Haven't Chewie and Mon Mothma already been agreed upon? I'm so confused.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:01:14 PM
That was from resident producer and idiot Rick Mccallum he says some stupid stuff, I have no clue why he though that, the First two have been cast so I think we can say Tarkin will return as well.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:06:44 PM
Rick Mccallum just seems to get in his own way most of the time.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2003, 10:29:03 PM
LOL I guess he must have a lot of money because I can't see what else use he is for.

Lance Freestar
Sep 16th, 2003, 10:48:30 AM
I think Sean O'conner should be in this movie, although as who I have no idea. Mel Gibson should be in it as well.
I think Sean should be in the movie as an Jedi Master, and Mel should be a Dark Jedi. Mel, and Sean should fight each other. Sean should win. Sean should live through the film.

Figrin D'an
Sep 16th, 2003, 01:02:31 PM
McCallum is blabbering idiot. The only reason George brought him into the entire Star Wars process was to deflect attention from himself. In some ways, I'll be glad when the prequels are completed, so we don't have to hear about his stupidity anymore.

Mon Mothma and Tarkin would be good cameos, since they have clear ties to the early days of the Rebellion and Empire. I'm still skeptical of the Chewie cameo, though. That one seems really forced, and could end up being really lame.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 16th, 2003, 03:05:05 PM
Seeing the Wookie home planet enslaved by the newly forming Empire would be cool. If that is how they put his 'cameo' in then that's awesome.

I remember someone saying that Chewie is supposed to be delivering the babies, or maybe just around to catch 'em or something, but since we already know there's going to be a battle or something on Kasshyykk (can't spell it) it would be interesting if Padme was there too at the same time, hiding out or something...reminds me of the Zahn trilogy with Leia pregnant and being hidden on the Wookie planet. Just a random thought.

ReaperFett
Sep 16th, 2003, 06:31:30 PM
Before you start bashing McCallum, think about it. McCallum knows what LUCAS tells him, and that quote is O-L-D. His point was, no CAMEOS. The next part was just name dropping. Mon Mothma is NOT a cameo. If it was a cameo, would she have been announced so early in production? Wouldn't they try keeping it a secret? Ditto Chewie.

Maybe if you'd asked again, he may have said "No Han, Lando or Wedge.". Or any of the other names he could use as an example of cameos.

Bit of an overreaction to call him stupid and an idiot isn't it? I'm sure I could dig up WRONG quotes by everyone in this thread. Shall I start calling you all names too?

Kharis
Sep 17th, 2003, 12:34:37 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
McCallum is blabbering idiot. The only reason George brought him into the entire Star Wars process was to deflect attention from himself. In some ways, I'll be glad when the prequels are completed, so we don't have to hear about his stupidity anymore.

Mon Mothma and Tarkin would be good cameos, since they have clear ties to the early days of the Rebellion and Empire. I'm still skeptical of the Chewie cameo, though. That one seems really forced, and could end up being really lame.

A Public Spokesman Sockpuppet? ::grin:: As you know I am no big fan of the prequels and quite outspoken. Honestly, I am not sure Lucas knows what he is doing, it is generally known that pressure from fans convinced him to finally conceive the promised episodes. I think he is just slapping them together and trying to make everyone happy. Compared to the quality of the original trilogy, this last prequel episode feels like it's going to a funeral of a very old and very dear friend.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 17th, 2003, 01:20:12 AM
I think he knows what he is doing. And I like the prequels I loved by TPM and AOTC to me they are great movies but hey that is my opinion.

Kharis
Sep 17th, 2003, 03:36:34 AM
IMO, the Prequels are far below my expectations. These movies are dull, lifeless, and mechanical especially the characters. There is not a single one that I have found a connection with. I could care less about any of them. By comparision, the originals had plenty of life, personality, and magic.

Another gripe, Lucas has wasted alot of reeltime not progressing the storyline nearly enough. TPM was unecessary, even detrimental. And because of that, Lucas has dug a hole per se. Too much material to cram into the final film.

Personally, my expectations were something more along the lines of Original Trilogy meets Dune meets Original Trilogy again.

However Lucas did try to incorporate more political intrigue into the movies with Count Dooku and the Separatists factions but unfortunately it suffers from a rather adolescent delivery.

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:42:42 AM
The worst evil Lucas has done in the Prequels was to the Anakin Skywalker character. For example, when Old Ben (Alec Guiness) spoke to Luke about his father in that Tatooine adobe bungalow, how little did we Star Wars fans know the legendary Jedi Master was speaking solely about a six-year old padawan learner. He (Lucas) sure fooled us.

:lol Lucas, you're a riot.

I feel once more and more fans come back down from all the hype and extravagant eyecandy, they will realize just how beyond bad these two films were.

ReaperFett
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:05:38 AM
Originally posted by Jhoram Hyde
I feel once more and more fans come back down from all the hype and extravagant eyecandy, they will realize just how beyond bad these two films were.
Or MAYBE, get this, they have a different opinion from you! :eek

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:17:39 AM
Yeah the movies are bad that is soley your opinion I love them and that will not change.

JMK
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:37:57 AM
Isn't it amazing how some people register at a Star Wars forum then have nothing constructive to add.

However:

These movies are dull, lifeless, and mechanical especially the characters. There is not a single one that I have found a connection with. I could care less about any of them. By comparision, the originals had plenty of life, personality, and magic.
I do see where Kharis is coming from here. The prequels haven't resonated emotionally to me as the originals do, still to this day. Stragely, I still like them a whole lot....

Jhoram Hyde
Sep 21st, 2003, 01:32:55 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Isn't it amazing how some people register at a Star Wars forum then have nothing constructive to add.

Hey, just because I am highly critical of George's late material doesn't mean I am not an SW fan. Frankly, I feel he has sold the series out. Too busy counting his millions to put together a story as powerful or enriching as the original trilogy. IMO, these are very lackluster movies that will never be an impact like A New Hope; The Empire Strikes Back; and Return of the Jedi. When Episode III is done and finished the only people going to be discussing it long after it is run at the theatres will be the hardest hardcore fans. And them, for how long? These movies are incapable of transcending the genres and drawing wider audience interest amongst fans of cinema like the OT movies. I have already witnessed this decay.

Doc Milo
Sep 27th, 2003, 10:13:55 PM
In my opinion (notice, my opinion) I think we run into problems when we try to view the prequels as a separate Star Wars story from the OT. They are not written as a separate story from the OT. They are written as an addendum. They aren't to be viewed separately. They are to be viewed as part of a whole. When viewed separately, the criticism is valid. If the prequels had to stand on their own, as a separate story, then they are lacking. But when viewed as part of the whole, the story fleshes itself out over the six episode saga.

By comparison, not knowing if he would ever make the prequels, the OT is written as a complete story unto itself. You don't need the beginning (the prequels) to have the story resonate. With the prequels attached, it only enhances the resonance of the OT. The prequels, on the other hand, are very dependant upon the OT -- that is not a flaw, it's a mere fact that these were written to serve a different purpose (stylewise.)

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 10:51:15 AM
Very fair analysis, but I think there could be a couple arguments against that. Of course, I'm working with under the pretense that a large percentage of people disliked TPM, and that alot of SW fans were more than disappoited with TPM.

TESB and RotJ may not have been made if it not for the critical acclaim and huge fan response that ANH received. It was a story unto itself, but left it open ended for sequels. TPM largely follows the same arc as ANH and it could be argued that it could stand alone. I'm not so sure that if TPM was made before the OT it would had the same success which would bring on the sequels. I think that's largely because much of the humanity that was there for ANH is declared by many to be non-existant in TPM (and to some in AotC as well).

Commander Zemil Vymes
Sep 29th, 2003, 07:11:54 PM
OMG You don't like the prequels. That means you don't like America. WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA SO MUCH???

:rolleyes

C'mon guys. The prequels aren't on the same standard as the OT. Entertaining? Definitely. But they are incongruent with the feel of the originals, take that as you will.

Kharis
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:15:12 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
OMG You don't like the prequels. That means you don't like America. WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA SO MUCH???

:rolleyes

C'mon guys. The prequels aren't on the same standard as the OT. Entertaining? Definitely. But they are incongruent with the feel of the originals, take that as you will.

Yeah, the OT definitely raised the bar too high but another fault I identify is ... Lucas' lackluster vision for the Prequels. IMO, they're more like amateur cartoonish soap operas compared to the originals, and pretty dull to watch.

I miss Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker; Harrison Ford as Han Solo; Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia; Alec Guiness as Obi Wan Kenobi; Chewbacca and David Prowse's Darth Vader. Fully developed and memorable characters. I wanted a second go around in the (more somber?) Prequels and my expectations weren't gratified. I am not pleased with Lucas' direction and vision.

Preacher Blake
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:39:03 PM
I'm not in your camp. I enjoy the movies. They're just as well done as the OT stuff.

Not that it matters. Not a single SW movie would fall into my top 10 anyway.

Kharis
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:46:04 PM
Originally posted by Preacher Blake
I'm not in your camp. I enjoy the movies. They're just as well done as the OT stuff.

Not that it matters. Not a single SW movie would fall into my top 10 anyway.

Neither would they be in mine either, but I find it very difficult even to bear sitting through ten minutes of either Prequel.

Doc Milo
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:52:50 PM
TPM largely follows the same arc as ANH and it could be argued that it could stand alone. I'm not so sure that if TPM was made before the OT it would had the same success which would bring on the sequels. I think that's largely because much of the humanity that was there for ANH is declared by many to be non-existant in TPM (and to some in AotC as well).

I disagree that TPM can stand alone. Yes, it has a complete story arc for the episode -- what I have taken to calling the Episode Plot -- but the Episode Plot was not what was given the most development over the course of the movie. The episode plot actually served to further the Trilogy and Saga plots. It served to introduce situations that would be further developed over the course of the next two films, and over the course of the six film saga. ANH, however, was more limited in scope. It's episode plot was the central plot of the story -- and the Trilogy and Saga plots (which at that time were one and the same) took a "back seat" they came along for the ride and were only fleshed out and developed in ESB and RotJ. There is a world of difference between how both movies were treated stylewise in that regard.

For the record of clarification I submit the following:

Episode Plot -- the plot of any single episode in the saga.
-- TPM: The Naboo Conflict
-- AotC: Anakin and Padme's Love Story
-- ANH: Luke Skywalker's Hero's Quest
-- ESB: Han and Leia's Love Story
-- RotJ: Rescue of Han Solo

Trilogy Plot -- the plot arc of the Trilogy as a whole
-- PT: The Rise of the Empire (Fall of the Republic/Jedi)
-- OT: The Fall of the Empire (Victory of the Rebellion/Return of the Jedi)

The Saga Plot -- the plot arc of the entire six episodes.
-- The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of Anakin Skywalker

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2003, 10:19:43 PM
I like your analysis Doc. I think the prequels are great but that is my opinion.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 1st, 2003, 02:14:37 PM
The prequels are all but PERFECT. I have said it once i'll say it agian. The ONLY thing TPM needed was longer Duel and about 5 mins more of Maul.

AOTC onlyu thing needed was Dooku fighting Yoda with two sabers, other than that perfect. I actually like the prequels better than the OT.

The only REAL problem with the Prequels are people that cant accept the fact that Lucas Makes the films the way HE wants them and not there way. And as matter of fact the dialogue is 100 times better in the pre's than the OT, and the acting is much better. Lets face it Ford looked and acted BORED in every line. But does that mean I hate the OT HECK!! No love them wouldn't trade them for all the spice in kessel.But that's my humble opinion :rollin

Ardath Bey
Oct 1st, 2003, 03:35:26 PM
IMO, the OT were far more grittier, better cast, and better written.

The acting is terribly constipated in the Prequels, everyone appears quite dully bored or frankly annoyed (even the great Chris Lee). The whole cast of both movies are b-grade Harrison Fords (as you say Buff), but unlike them Ford brought Solo entertainingly to life.

These movies lack the sheer energy, emotional impact, and sheer physicality of the OT. The Prequels suffer from it's over utilization of CGI FX, making them sterile and artificial, like it's storyline and characters.

BUFFJEDI
Oct 1st, 2003, 03:40:37 PM
Originally posted by Ardath Bey

Fords (as you say Buff), but unlike them Ford brought Solo entertainingly life.

. I have to agree with that, although fords acting was just plain BAD, he did bring solo to life/ although I have no idea how, now that I think of it.

Ardath Bey
Oct 1st, 2003, 07:25:53 PM
Originally posted by BUFFJEDI
I have to agree with that, although fords acting was just plain BAD, he did bring solo to life/ although I have no idea how, now that I think of it.

I think it stems from Han Solo being a charismatic and exciting character. No one could portray him better than Ford. Solo's sarcasm and the cocky grin, the actor was perfectly molded for this role. But the OT also suffers in the script department too. Yet, I can't think of any actor that could have done a better job than Ford. Not even one, can you?

Ford's performance in the role was far from perfect. But gathered experience for his stronger and more refined portrayal of Indiana Jones. Now that's the classic Ford.

Doc Milo
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:51:12 PM
These movies lack the sheer energy, emotional impact, and sheer physicality of the OT.

But, you see, this is another "symptom" of what I was talking about earlier. When you view the PT as a separate story unto itself, this would indeed be true. But, when you view it as part of a whole -- the way it is supposed to be viewed -- it is false for the simple matter that to put an equal amount of energy and emotional impact into the prequels would detract from the story as a whole.

It is about progression.

If you view each movie as a separate entity, then you want to see the emotional progression throughout the film; if you view the trilogy as a separate entity you want to see the emotional progression throughout the trilogy. In each case, the progression will be quick. If each film is a separate story, then the emotional progression has to reach its peak by film's end. The same goes for the trilogy. That means that a lot of emotional impact has to take place in a shorter amount of time. Because ANH was written as a totally stand alone movie (since Lucas did not know if he would ever be able to do another SW movie) the emotional impact is great because the progression is complete. ESB and RotJ add to the quick progression of ANH, and thus the trilogy as a whole has a great emotional impact.

By contrast, TPM and AotC have a much slower emotional progression and thus not as great an emotional impact. Even after Ep3, the PT will not have the same emotional impact as the OT, because the PT is not being written to be a stand alone trilogy, just as each individual movie is not written to be a stand alone movie. Part of the PT's purpose is to set-up the events of the OT. This means, the PT's success has to be measured by a different standard -- namely, it will be a success if it adds to the emotional impact of the OT. Why? Because the OT is the second half of the entire story -- the place, when writing, that the emotional impact truly takes place...

The PT is setting up a progression that is not meant to be completed by trilogy's end. It's meant to be competed by saga's end...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:08:30 PM
I agree with you Doc and to me it is succeeding in that aspect. The more I see ROTJ now that end is more emotional.