PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Question

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:24:14 PM
Hello friends at Fans!

I seek the advice and counsel of the mass here, because I am at a loss for options. I am shopping for suits online--but not just any kind of suit. I am seeking a zoot suit. I need a suit I can wear to dress-up affairs and whatnot, so I am going to buy a conservative--yet suave--zoot suit. What I mean is something in a single color but with all the classic zoot suit style. Perhaps black or black with white pinstripes, etc. I found an expensive (but quality) site (http://www.zootsuitstore.com) but that was about all I found.

Can anyone help me?

If you know of any alternate vendors or selections I could puruse online OR (and even better) if you know of any stores in the Kansas City area that would sell and fit such suits that would be better because I could go and try them on.

Anyway, your help rules and I appreciate your time and effort. You all rock. :D

Figrin D'an
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:44:43 PM
*sings*

Zoot Suit Riot... (riot!)
Throw back a bottle of beer...
Zoot Suit Riot... (riot!)
Pull a comb through your coal black hair...

'k... anyway...

I'm big on pinstripes, personally. Charcoal black with pronounced (but not overstated) pinstripes. Shirt to match pinstripe color (doesn't have to be sheen white... can be a bit off-color).

I like the Bogart look too, though... Rick Blaine from Casablanca... very nice...

Charley
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:54:26 PM
While pinstripes are nice for certain occasions, it can seem tacky in other ones. I'd suggest a good matte neutral tone suit...like something in a bronze or gun metal grey sorta thing. Platinum is also nice, though you can never beat a good all-purpose black suit.

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:59:38 PM
Agreed--black and white pinstripes are the coolest. Solid black is always a good fallback.

But where'n the monkey-lovin' do you get one??? I can't find another online store anywhere, let alone a listing for KC.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:14:10 PM
well unfortunately you are either going to have to go to a mens clothing store that will charge you an arm and a leg or go to Famous Barr or J.C. Pennys and go to their men's business section

Figrin D'an
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:26:58 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
... though you can never beat a good all-purpose black suit.

This is true. It really depends upon your primary usage for the suit. If you want versatility, then this is the way to go.

I like to switch things up just a touch, though. For example, I have a suit that is pretty much your standard double-breasted black suit, but it has very fine blue pinstripes that aren't that noticable by themselves (so a plain white shirt can be worn with it and look just fine), but also allows me to wear a blue shirt with it, and it looks great, bringing out the subtle lines on the suit itself.

That's just me, though. Some people prefer the straight-up, no-nonsense black suit/white shirt thing, which is fine. :)

Charley
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:29:50 PM
There are specialty stores...the ones that sell Fubu and such, and I think they may have zoot suits for you.

Aaron Vilnaldi
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:32:50 PM
The same kind of store that sells Fubu would sell a zoot suit? Crazy. Guess I'm behind in the fashion times! :)

Yeah, I like colors too, Figrin, but I need something that will be a base, all-purpose suit to start out with. That is, until I have the income to invest in more suits and variety. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:38:11 PM
Get a royal blue one. :crack With matching hat. ;) You'll be pimpin' in that.

Dae Jinn
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:55:25 PM
Oooo, good suggestion LD! Black or a dark blue would be nice.:)

Pierce Tondry
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:23:06 AM
Two words.

Powder blue. :)

In all seriousness, a good charcoal suit jacket and pair of pants also tend to go well with most clothes.

Dae Jinn
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:29:22 AM
Don't tell him that! >_<

Once you get this suit, I want to see pictures! :crack

Kelt Simoson
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:12:07 AM
Man hes turning into a Gangster. :D

Charley
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:13:36 AM
I own several suits. Two in navy blue, one in light grey, one in a bronze-ish color, etc. I'm planning on losing a ton of weight, and then getting a pair of black suits :cool

Dae Jinn
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:44:28 AM
Take pictures! Guys in suits look so nice! ;) :D

Charley
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:46:03 AM
I am not picture worthy right now. I'll probably take pictures when I look excellent, as to shock people.

Dae Jinn
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:48:15 AM
:rolleyes

Fine. You owe us a suit picture than. :)

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:15:57 PM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
Man hes turning into a Gangster. :D

That is the fashion style I am seeking, Kelt. I think that the 20s through 50s had the best fashion style ever. The days when men always wore suits and just looked sharp. :)

Finrod Ar-Feiniel
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:42:02 PM
I will send you my brothers graduation suit. Orange and blue plaid. With matching hat.

Please take it.

Please.

>.<

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:45:01 PM
I doubt it would fit, but yeah, more than likely I would love it! :D I love crazy clothes. :)