PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Care What Universe You're From...

Jinn Fizz
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:43:45 PM
...this has gotta hurt. :cry

Excerpted from the review of Hollywood Homicide at www.boxofficemojo.com:

The end of Ron Shelton’s haphazard Hollywood Homicide should include this dedication “In Memory of Harrison Ford's Career 1977-2003” because the final nail has been driven into the coffin of one of movie history’s most stalwart performers.

(. . .)

The only reason to see Hollywood Homicide is to pay one’s last respects to Harrison Ford’s brilliant career. May it rest in peace. Hopefully, the next Indiana Jones can resurrect it.

Ouch!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:47:29 PM
Yeah that is very painfull. Harrison hasn't had a hit in a while thought. The last film of his to make a 100 was What Lies Beneath so its been 3 years. Still I have to say his career is better than Eddie Murphy's.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:09:05 AM
Hollywood Homicide was awful. I have no idea who thought that Ford andf Hartnett would work well together, because they sucked together onscreen, and the plot was horrid.

It was either see that or the Rice Festival (2F2F), and I thought Ford would be better. Well, it sucked.

sirdizzy
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:03:18 AM
Hollywood Homicide (2003)

Action/Adventure and Comedy 1 hr. 51 min
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for violence, sexual situations and language.
Release Date: June 13th, 2003
Starring: Harrison Ford, Josh Hartnett, Keith David, Lolita Davidovich, Bruce Greenwood
Directed by: Ron Shelton

Joe Gavilian is a veteran, grumpy old police officer that has been working in the LAPD homicide department for decades. K.C. Calden is his new brash, young partner that really doesn’t want to be a detective anymore or part of the police force. Both do have something in common besides being homicide detectives and that is they both moonlight in other careers, Joe as a real estate agent and KC as a yoga instructor and a wannabe actor. Sometimes these alternate careers disrupt their police work as they try and balance both and each other. But there has been a major homicide committed and they are sent to investigate the slaying of a rap group on stage. The issues are murky, as the hit may have been possibly orchestrated by Sartain a notorious rap label boss who is rumored to have arranged the death of his rap artists in the past when they wanted to get out of their contracts and spent prison time for not being totally honest about his finances. But that’s not Joe’s only problem as he now has the head of internal affairs that hates him breathing down his neck for some of his own fishy moneymaking and income. So now Joe fines himself with little time to solve the case before he has IA bust him as he must prove his innocence, solve a crime, deal with a young partner, and battle everyone from the IA to a an ex LAPD officer who might now be gunning for him.

I have trouble seeing how they could have ever made this movie work. I don’t think it was the actors, or a script that looked to be a rewrite of a 100 different movies done before it, or the fact that the movie seemed to lack suspense of any kind, I think it was a little bit of everything rolled into one. Harrison Ford who can be a great actor and who has some of the most unforgettable characters of all time just seemed to walk through this movie not caring that he was making a very sub par movie that just had no panache or would not really keep the audience interested. Him and Josh Hartnett had absolutely no on screen chemistry and just did not seem to fit together, which makes you wonder of they were going for a buddy cop movie and juts failed miserably or was the disaster on purpose. The script had no originality as it has been done so many times before you just got lulled into boredom. The final action sequence that must have been one of the longest chases in movie history ever was silly, trite, and had no suspense whatsoever. The movie had some funny one liners and a few moments of comedy but that’s it just a few and far between. The movie is billed as action/adventure which it had very little of, and comedy which it was also lacking. This might be an OK movie to rent on a boring night or it might have made a good straight to video movie but it was a waste of time in the theatres.
2 stars out of 5

JMK
Jun 18th, 2003, 06:39:18 AM
That really does sting!

Charley
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:30:22 AM
He's boinking Skeletor, so isn't it a little obvious that the man has lost his ever-loving mind? This isn't news, people.

darth_mcbain
Jun 18th, 2003, 11:42:27 AM
Ever since he got the earring (don't know if he still has it) and spiked his hair he's been off. Maybe he's like Samson with his hair - grow it back the way it was before, Harrison, maybe those B.O. Numbers will start growing again...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:11:34 PM
Well he first got the earring when Air Force One came out and that was a huge hit. I think he has just been picking bad scripts though really he has only had two flops in the last 5 years, K-19 and Hollywood Homicide, he has gone through this before. Before Air Foce One he had a bad streak making movies like Regarding Henry.

Charley
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:34:51 PM
Regarding Henry was excellent, however. Not steaming feces like K-19 or Hollywood Homicide.

Figrin D'an
Jun 18th, 2003, 03:30:57 PM
Once Indy 4 is done, the critics will come clamouring back to Ford's side. Yeah, his recent films have been pretty bad, but if Indy 4 is good, which I fully expect it to be, this whole discussion will become moot.

CMJ
Jun 18th, 2003, 05:41:47 PM
Some of Ford's "misses" have been really good. I agree "Regarding Henry" was really underrated. He's had some other films that were good which were ignored BO wise.

It happens to all of'em.

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2003, 05:48:24 PM
I think his career has been sunk for a while. He makes some awful films, and thenr ejects films that could really kick start his career like Traffic.

And I have absolutely no real hopes for Indy 4. Every time I've seen him talk about it he has sounded so disinterested it worries me.

James Prent
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:33:41 PM
Regarding Henry is SUCH a good movie.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 18th, 2003, 08:33:49 PM
It used to be a ritual that my mother and I would go see every new Harrison Ford movie the weekend it came out. That kind of came to an end with Random Hearts. For some reason, we didn't go see that one, and from what I've heard, I didn't miss anything.

He hasn't done a decent movie since What Lies Beneath, unfortunately. I saw K19, thought it wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't a great movie either.

What's really kind of odd is that, for being so publicity-shy, he sure has done a lot of stumping for Hollywood Homicide, which has turned out to be such a stinker. :\

I also just do not get the whole Calista Flockhart thing. That just does not compute at all. And last week's People magazine, with the lovey-dovey portraits of them...ugh, scuse me while I hurl :x.

But still, what this guy wrote was beyond cold, man, it's subzero! :eek

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2003, 08:43:25 PM
He hasn't done a decent movie since What Lies Beneath
He's only done two since then ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:08:06 PM
LOL True he doesn't do make many movies. Still there is no reason to ridicule Harrison, I have to say his career is in better shape than Eddie Murphy, compared to Pluto Nash, Hollywood Homicide looks like a blockbuster.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:37:21 PM
:lol @ Reaper Fett

sirdizzy
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:34:04 PM
i agree i wanted to gnaw my eyeballs out during pluto nash

but i thought i spy was hillarious for murphy, then again daddy day care was kind of a stinker too

Charley
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:44:27 PM
Hahaha you went to go see Pluto Nash. End of story right there.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:53:33 PM
Ah well, Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" will forever be one of the greatest stand-ups ever.