PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Roleplayer: The Importance of RCP

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:50:19 AM
What does RCP stand for, you ask? That is a very good question, little Johnny Roleplayer!

RCP is an acronym for "Read, Comprehend, Post." Simply put, Johnny, RCP means that you should always be sure that you know what you're replying to. There are three steps to a good reply post, in either IC (in character) or OOC (out of character) posting.

Read: You must read the posts before yours. Read them carefully. If you do not read a thread, you cannot possibly follow through with the next step of posting.

Comprehend: Johnny, 'comprehend' is a big word that means, basically, 'understand.' If you do not understand those posts that you've just read, then you need to go back to the previous posts and read them again. If you still don't understand the posts or their intent, then you will need to clarify with the posters themselves, and ask them what they meant. You can do this through the PM (private messaging) system, or even an IM (instant messaging) service on your computer. Most poster's Instant Messenger names can be found in their profiles.

Once you have Read, and Comprehended the posts that you wish to respond to, then you are ready to move onto the next step.

What's that? Very good, Johnny! You're right, now you get to Post: Since you've Read the post previous to the one you're about to make, and you fully understand, or Comprehend what the individual before you has said, or asked (in the case of responding to a question posed to you), you may now click the "post reply" button and type.

Using the knowledge gained from Reading, and Comprehending, your Post will be on topic, easier to understand for the next poster, and you will be able to fully answer any and all questions to the best of your ability. If someone asks you a question and you don't know the answer, you can type that. It's ok to not have all the answers.

However, little Johnny Roleplayer, there is nothing worse than a poster who pretends they know all the answers. Also, sometimes people post without making sure they know what the question was, and end up answering a question that was never asked. This leads to unnecessarily long topics, Johnny, as the poser of the question must now re-post his question in an effort to get an answer.

Johnny Roleplayer, I hope that was informative! Now you too can go and use the principles of RCP in your own posting. Good luck!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:51:57 AM
But my name isnt Johnny

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:00:38 PM
Nice :lol

Thanks for the clarification, LD. I have a good resource to direct poor, unknowing Janie Roleplayers to(gotta keep it PC, you know :P).

:D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:34:56 PM
I exist to serve. :)

Rage
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:55:38 PM
Nicely put & thanks! :)

Charley
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:12:06 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I exist to serve. :)

:mischief!

*places a few orders* :cool

Lord Soth
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:00:18 PM
More like jonny be good... NOT! If only some out there took thier own advice...:lol

Kelt Simoson
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:14:31 PM
Does the same*

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:34:53 PM
Soth, are you implying that I do not RCP? o_O Sometimes I'm sure I haven't done the best job of it, sure, but if that is what you're saying then kindly take a flying leap. :D

*hugses Soth so he knows she's not mad...and then socks him in the shoulder* >D

Lord Soth
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:53:03 PM
Nope,... just an honest observation.

Wipe’s mirror so everyone can see themselves clearly. :rolleyes

:zzz

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:54:48 PM
Originally posted by Lord Soth
Nope,... just an opinion.Fixed.

Lord Soth
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:58:56 PM
And that's yours dude.... Opinion

Fixed.....

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:00:25 PM
Please do grow up and show some maturity, else find yourself without access to this forum any longer.

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:14:51 PM
Nope,... just an honest observation.

Wipe’s mirror so everyone can see themselves clearly. :rolleyes

So you start by saying LD misinterpretted your post, and then make a statement that is basically repeating the previous comment?

Lord Soth
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:23:11 PM
Wrong...Wasn’t' saying that at all. :)

Pilot Akito
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:27:43 PM
Good evening.

I have been selected to end this constant smoldering by pouring water on everyone.

Due to time constraints, cost of 100 US Gallons water, and the costs of delivering it I shall be using gasoline instead. Therefore there are three simple rules.
1)You will not be allowed to breath for the vapors are toxic.
2)All forms of fire must be extinguished for saftey
3)There will be no cooking, unless someone breaks one or two.

Now I hope you all see the irony at least in the above paragraph. It's ment for you to read. But if you do want me to hose you down with gasoline, let me know. If

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:39:07 PM
Wrong...Wasn’t' saying that at all. :)
So he.........but he didn't..........meaning he.................STOP CONFUSING ME!

;)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:39:59 PM
Aren't non constructive posts in a constructive topic fun? :D

Pilot Akito
Jun 17th, 2003, 07:14:14 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
Aren't non constructive posts in a constructive topic fun? :D

Yeah, I'm sorry for trying to be a comedian here but I'm getting tired of two things.

1) The Vamps VS The Admins and Mods

2)The Holy Crusade to fix the problem that doesn't exsist.

Now 1 is self-explanitory after last nights little flameing campfire over alot of things that everyone took out of context (including me).

But 2 is more about recent things like the bar thread where Agent Charlie goes a little too far in expressing someone read the FAQ. And then threads like this that may make some people (like Lord Soth) go freeking crazy.

It's a fact of life that no one is perfect and has their faults, but I don't think that no one likes being talked down to. I see what LD was trying to do, but a better place would be to put the RCP in the FAQ and then pointing that out to those who need the help and the new people who are joining.

No offence given, I hope

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 07:22:12 PM
Actually, your post was constructive in that it served the purpose of trying to diffuse a possible situation, which is exactly what I was trying to do as well.

Pilot Akito
Jun 17th, 2003, 07:28:13 PM
Yeah, well I hope my second post gets over like this.

"Hay you guys, if you do this then you'll get into a flamewar, again."

I'm just saying watch what your doing. :| I don't know, can I put it any more clear then that?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 07:30:49 PM
Yeah but it is a repeat of what I said too. :)
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
...else find yourself without access to this forum any longer. Though not directed at you.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:14:58 PM
Honestly I hardly see why this would be considered a "holy crusade" thread. As far as it being placed in the FAQ, well just wait and see.