PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shrine FAQ and SWFans policy.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:51:42 PM
I found this in the Shrine Rules sticky thread in their top forum and found it quite debatable and somewhat infringing on our overall policies, since it basically says its SWFans policy not to allow people to play Vampiric raced characters without Shrine approval.
~ It is a violation of our FAQ's of the Shrine to run a Vampire Char. without the express permission of the Shrine Council. As all other forums here at SWfans we respect the individuality of each group. Please respect ours. It is common courtesy and good manners to ask first before you run a Char. species that has already been well established. *Any "Rogue Vampire Char. or Sub-Class Vampire" will not be acknowledged or tolerated. If an RPer is found in violation of creating a Vampire Char. without permission or admittance here at the Shrine by the whole Council, appropriate action will be taken and reported immediately to the SWfans Admin's. ~ By the reasoning they are using there it could be said that RP groups like the GJO could disallow people to play human characters since they were the first SWFans RP group to establish human characters in the SWFans RP Universe.

I'm not too hip to them threating to have us enforce one of "their" policies. One which we have not established as one of our own.

I mean come on thats a bit ludicrous and self righteous.

Here is a simple hypothetical situation that could have standing based on the precident this policy sets IMO:
"Oh, I'm going to start a new group at SWfans for Rodian Bounty hunters and then no one else can create a Rodian character without our group's council permission".

I am just bewildered by this restriction myself.

Can anyone here explain it to me in a way that makes sense? Or point me in the right direction to understand this portion of their FAQ? Or...should we ask that they ammend this policy to not be required across all of SWFans since they are not the staff of SWFans and should not be setting our policies without first consulting us at least?

If this were a case of it being a race they created from their own imaginations I would be more supportive, but being something so widely known of and used in RP settings as Vampires I don't think this rule should be allowed to fly as is.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:31:32 PM
I have started a thread in the Shrine's OOC forum to hear their reasonings on this matter:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=540824>Link</a>

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:54:10 PM
Jeez Im glad I have nothing to do with this. How do you manage this when every five posts is someone not involved trying to cause an argument or just generally not being constructive?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:58:29 PM
Ignore their post and try to stay on topic. @_@

Charley
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:22:42 PM
Renaming the Shrine as "Vampyre FYAD" would be very :cool

/pipe dream

imported_Eve
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:24:04 PM
They're a lil sensitive. Is Alana anyone we know? She keeps getting pissed.

Charley
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:31:01 PM
Just Soth's IRL sis. They're all like that, estrogen++ and such (shrug)

imported_Eve
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:33:01 PM
Well end of story is they can't dictate the general policy. They have to edit. I think that thread is at that stage now. But the debate goes on. People keep saying the same thing over and over. That thread could be 10 posts.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:34:52 PM
Originally posted by Eve
Well end of story is they can't dictate the general policy. They have to edit. I think that thread is at that stage now. But the debate goes on. People keep saying the same thing over and over. That thread could be 10 posts. Indicative in a big way by my having quoted myself so many times. >_<

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:57:14 PM
Ah well, I had to throw my two cents in. It was like Soth was trying to say that their history was unique... it isn't. not by a long shot.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:00:52 PM
I said almost word for word. Mother of all Vampires and her name and picture is almost word for word IMO. Didnt say it was completely.

And actually, since that stuff is copyrighted by Anne Rice herself, names and pictures like that shouldnt be used.

someone back me up on this because this is true right

imported_Eve
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:03:48 PM
Yeah but then we couldn't use anything starwars either. I said this is Star Wars based. IMO vamps shouldn't even be here the way they're used.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:06:04 PM
true but it is a copyrighted thing. Anne Rice, Ashiva her picture from the movie Queen of the Damned? I mean, we asked others to change things for the same reason.

Course, I do feel stupid for not realizing this sooner >_<

imported_Eve
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:14:59 PM
I got ya. Well one can not watch everything here, and some of us avoid the shrine. ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:15:34 PM
like me now. I dont think after my wonderful commentary with that thread they are going to want me around.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:24:54 PM
I removed myself from the debate tonight, so if anyone points at me saying I told them their storyline was needed to be changed, that isnt what I meant. I meant the name Ashiva and her pic. That's all. The history thing I don't have a problem with

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:26:14 PM
They are all far too emotional for their own good. I have had Soth say at least three things about me or what I said in that thread now (in what appear to be attempts to start a flame war to me) that are completely untrue.

>_<

And like eve said, we can't catch it all.

imported_Eve
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:31:01 PM
No worries Nav. They're getting touchy. The thread is going nowhere. If we keep in it, words will fly. They're already being thrown (not by the staff, thankfully).

They're also not getting it. We're blue in the face - no change.

Lay down the law buddy.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:33:01 PM
:)

I am a big believer in freedom of expression and they will not be allowed to control forums not under their administration. no way, no how.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:50:39 AM
Let me take this opportunity to thank each and every staff member who participated in the debate thread. I am proud to be able to say that at no time was any SWFans RP staff member anything but completely professional and a shinning example of a good administrative body in what easily could have been, and was tried to be construed by some as, a volatile situation.

Thanks gang, you have done right by me and by the entire community. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 17th, 2003, 08:42:31 AM
Even me who was hella tired? :p

I actually realized :: when I woke up this morning :: I said nothing wrong so :mneh at the Shrine

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 04:03:08 PM
I was gone all day. I think the thread should be closed as its run its course?

TheHolo.Net
Jun 17th, 2003, 04:09:07 PM
Saurron should be allowed to say his piece when he gets the chance. The thread is far from out of control and does not need to be closed.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:10:02 PM
Oh I didn't realize we were waiting for Saurron.