PDA

View Full Version : Making A Photo Into A Drawing

Syrius Cline
Jun 15th, 2003, 02:37:32 AM
I often look around on the web for graphic tutorials. PS and PSP, since I'll one day have PS. Anyway, I believe I once found a tutorial about making a photo look like a drawing, where only the most distinguished lines were left. The effect kind of looked like a inked drawing, like in a comic book. The tutorials was, I believe, in PS. I can't for the life of me find a way to do this in PSP.

Can someone help me out? Anyone know how to do this? If so, I'd like to give a pic and maybe have that person do this for me.

If you haven't already figured out why I've asked this, I'll tell you. I've been coloring some comic art, for practice. Now, I think it'd look cool if a picture was made to look like a drawing, and then colored. Kind of like making a picture look like a comic book pic. A neat style, I would think. I'd be totally cool with coloring anybody's pic, if they did this effect to their own pic and wanted it colored.

So, any thoughts how this would be done, or if someone could do it for me?

Seteth Morters
Jun 15th, 2003, 03:21:44 AM
i dont know if this is quite the look you were looking for, but if you use "posterise - level 3" then hue/saturation to turn it all black and white, then adjust brightness/contrast to about bright -40 and contrast +45 you get something like this:

imported_Eve
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:34:07 AM
I've done this with a couple of my webcam shots to authenticate my website. My avatar for my Sonja account is one. The entrance image to holoplanet and somafix are also that. They're not drawing-like, but they are re-colorized for the digital world.

If you had a tablet for drawing... you could trace the picture I suppose.

Dae Jinn
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:46:23 AM
You can do line drawings in Illustrator, but it would take awhile :\

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:46:34 PM
Well I experimented with a picture of Michelle Rodrieguez. In PS, I used the Ink Outlines filter, and then smudged the heck out of it.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:13:13 AM
That looks really cool LD, but I wanted to color it myself. Though that does look pretty cool. Though it still looks like a altered photo. Neat though!

Actually, that's really close Seteth. I'll try that! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:57:14 AM
Yeah I know its not what you wanted. I looked and looked for a long time.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:08:59 AM
Looks pretty cool though. Kind of makes it look painted... Hold on, I think I might remember how I found that tutorial back when...

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:12:09 AM
Sage, I've tried doing what you want many times, and I've never had much luck. Posterize and also the Cutout filters get me the closest I can to what you're thinking of, but without third-party filters that cost monet, I don't know of a good way to do that conversion.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:15:19 AM
http://www.jereme.com/tutorials/clipart/cart.php

BAM

Not as great as I remembered it being, but it isn't terrible. I knew the site started with a "J"! Anyway, I think I might be able to do this in Paintshop... though I'm not positive... hmm...

I could of course try to just color over a pic. Lay in flats under a lowered opacity pic, then delete the pic alltogether and go with the flats.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:17:09 AM
Sejah, this is what I got earlier, using the cutout option.

It leaves the huge black parts still...huge and black. Not good for coloring?