PDA

View Full Version : busting your clutch sucks

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:26:16 PM
the title pretty much says it all.

i accidentally downshifted to 2nd instead of 4th at 60 mph; 'nuff said. Thankfully i was almost home, and so the tow was only 30 bucks, but still. DAMNIT. that car is my life. without it i have no way to get to work; i have to rely on others. and the thing is, i'd been having a good day. oh well. at least my neighbor will fix it if i get the parts, and those wont hurt me a whole awful lot.

my flywheel is in pieces, and its looking like ima have to get the partitions or whatever theyre called replaced; im pretty sure the trany is fine, its just the clutch. but still. DAMNIT.

i = teh suk

Morgan Evanar
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:33:59 PM
2nd instead of 4th, eat tranny, every day. That blows. In the Civic that my family owns you'd really have to shove it into 2nd, I guess your gearbox is a little more forgiving.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:38:57 PM
this is my car

http://www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/2002/january/10best_gallery/1988_integra.jpg

its an '88 acura integra; a good little car that has plenty of life to it. and i plan on keeping it around for a good long time

ReaperFett
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:42:26 PM
I did that once. Luckily nothing screwed up.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:49:22 PM
Integras are Acuras = Hondas, which means they basically last forever with basic maintiance. Nice car.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:57:26 PM
yes 'tis

i love it, and dont plan on getting another in a good long while

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 15th, 2003, 12:35:30 AM
If your flywheel is in bits, then that's a good deal worse than a clutch plate and a pressure plate assembly. Then, that's major. I bet it was the clutch plate. I HOPE it was the clutch plate

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 15th, 2003, 02:54:58 AM
I remember when the clutch in my Mazda went out. Ugh, I was pissed... and it was expensive, too.

I feel your pain, s'Il. I feel it all too well, and I'm really sorry. Clutch blowing blows.

Taylor Millard
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:25:42 AM
ow...I'm sorry s'Il....that can't be fun at all.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:25:43 AM
YUK poor s'Il! Hope your neighbor can fix it!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 15th, 2003, 06:23:07 AM
thanks guys ^_^

paul was with me when it happened, and said he was surprised i wasn't freaking out. he expected me to be all stressed out and stuff. my thing is, accidents and crap like this happen, and when they do, theres nothing you can do about it. the nice thing is that we're in the south, and southern people are awesome. we had like, 8 people stop and see if we were alright. one lady let me use her cellphone to call my boss, and another guy let paul use his to call some friends. and get this. a towtruck pulled up, and the guy offered to tow me back to the house for 30 bucks. i swear, if we'd been in cali, no one woulda stopped, and a truck wouldnt have showed up for over an hour. i love the south!

and thankfully it wont be too expensive; i can get a new clutch for 90, and like i said; my neighbor tony is gonna fix it

get this, all he wants in payment is a burned cd

Morgan Evanar
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:39:45 AM
get this, all he wants in payment is a burned cd

I wish I lived in the south =/

People in Missouri are nice too, from what I've heard.

Charley
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:05:10 PM
Everybody should live near me, so um...I wouldn't have to drive forever to see people. Southern hospitality > all the "bad" things people think the South is about.

Oh, and if you don't like sweet tea, you should be shot in the genitals.

Figrin D'an
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:17:43 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Southern hospitality > all the "bad" things people think the South is about.

Only to be followed by...

Oh, and if you don't like sweet tea, you should be shot in the genitals.

:lol

you funny ha ha.

I shredded a transmission a couple of years ago. I too feel your pain, s'Il.

AmazonBabe
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:57:27 PM
>_<

Hope things get fixed for your car, s'Il.

As for me, this is why I'll never drive a manual and why I refuse to even buy one (even though I'm gonna be getting me a muscle car). Say what you will, but I must get what I feel most comfy with... and that'd be an automatic.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:02:42 PM
-Bashes head on desk- WHAT IS IT WITH MOST OF YOU WOMEN AND AUTOMATIC CARS!?!?!?

Unless its CVT, auto = terrible losses in the drivetrain, worse fuel effiency, and absolute hell if it breaks. Mrhs;jfdlfdkldsf;lajsdf

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:15:36 PM
Southern Hospitality does sound good...

If I break down on the road, all I get is laughed at, and an empty Starbucks cup thrown at me. Oh, and lets not forget that Racist Chinese Quickstop guy refusing to let me use his phone and making me walk another mile to an Texaco...

Charley
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:03:12 PM
Automatic is ok for a car that goes from point A to point B and thats really all you want, but an automatic sports car? You've lost your mind.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:15:02 PM
Automatic in ANY car?

EWWWWWWWWW!

Charley
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:25:09 PM
Can it. Not everybody wants to hump a clutch and shift gears. For performance issues, sure, but that isn't everything.

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:50:51 PM
I'd rather an automatic so I dont have to move my hands :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:10:30 PM
You fall asleep in Automatics! Nothing to do.

Automatics are for weaklings, and old people who have knee problems.

Charley
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:13:25 PM
Or people who just don't want to be bothered by the aforementioned hassle and aren't terribly in need of the added power of a manual.

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:39:01 PM
And because you have both hands on the steering wheel you are in a safer drive, as you dont have to worry about the stick to your side.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:33:34 PM
personally I prefer automatic, people are retarded around here and I'd rather be able to focus my full attention on breaking and/or dodging them when needed....

Moltar
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:37:34 PM
I like Automatics, no clutch to mess up my transmission. No the car can do that on it's own, like in the middle of an intersection.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:44:55 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
And because you have both hands on the steering wheel you are in a safer drive, as you dont have to worry about the stick to your side.

Wrong. Absolutly and completely wrong. Autos dont give full control of a vehicle to you. Autos are not for safety, they are for convenience and ease of use. Too much ease of use, which means those of low skill level can drive a car. Now THAT is dangerous.

I'd post a few pages on why and the facts and figures on power deliverys and control, but you'll wouldn't be interested. However, given I actually know somethign about car control, I wouldn't even give an auto the diginity of being peed on and in all situations, no matter the traffic levels, manuals are superior.

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:50:28 PM
Hey, feel free to post your few pages, considering the fact that I cant see how the hell a car where you keep two hands on the wheel is less safe than one where you have to keep moving a hand, ESPECIALLY when my big problem presently is that every time I change gear I start veering ever-so-slightly.

And a person of a low skill level can also drive a manual. It's not rocket science, it's a cheaper car. Hence, more bad drivers can afford one.

AmazonBabe
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:18:30 PM
Bashes head on desk- WHAT IS IT WITH MOST OF YOU WOMEN AND AUTOMATIC CARS!?!?!?

It's convinient?

You've lost your mind.

:lol! Well...duh! :D

Automatics are for weaklings...

Come here, Dyzm... lemme show you just how much of a weakling I am. >D

Or people who just don't want to be bothered by the aforementioned hassle and aren't terribly in need of the added power of a manual.

:: Nods head emphatically. ::

What can I say? I'm a lost cause. :)

Speaking of cars... I may be going for my first one in the next month. Here's hoping I find what I'm looking for. :D

Charley
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:32:40 PM
Don't buy new. Instead, buy reputable. Relationship between price and age is hyperbolic. You wait and get a 2 or 3 year old car, you can get something extremely nice for very cheap.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:01:03 PM
Manual Subaru Forester. I've got my father's right now and I've never come across a car so outright friendly to drive, a hoot on dirt, sure footed and just total barrel full of fun. I dont like the driving position, but it's livable.

Just wish it had the turbo.

And just to partially answer Fett

1) You cant bump start an auto

2) Autos use more fuel

3) Autos are heavier and are higher powerloss in the driveline

4) autos are a bloody nightmare and bloody expensive to repair

5) Autos are harder on the brakes, as the natuarl eingine braking can not occur, due to the torque convertor.

6) The steering wheel is not the only thing you use to steer a car with. You also use throttle and brakes. If you dont know that, HAND YOUR LICENCE BACK NOW AND GET OFF THE ROAD. It is one of the most critical aspects to driving. An auto takes away trottle steer capability to varying degrees. You lose to accuratly and quickly select gear ratios as well. The so called semi autos are not a subsitute for a manual, not even the M3's SMG ver 2. All racers know this, that is why not a single one of use will race a auto. The new racing systems still have a clutch, but they are electric servo shift sequential, with equipment tough enough that clutches are not really needed. The point tho is that the driver selects the gear himself, precisely and as needed, with no stupid and frankly in some siuations (liek a corner) dangerous torque convertor.

In racing is the proof that when you need total and utter control of a car, autos just can not do. Even drag racers are discoverign the beauty of a 6 speed sequential Hollinger.

Mmmmm, seq shift WRX. That'll be hoon.

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:47:37 PM
The steering wheel is not the only thing you use to steer a car with. You also use throttle and brakes. If you dont know that, HAND YOUR LICENCE BACK NOW AND GET OFF THE ROAD.
First, they dont use the HANDS ;)

Second, I dont have a licence :)

Figrin D'an
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:51:33 PM
I'm not going to disagree with a good portion of what you said Marcus, because your facts are correct. However, not everyone here is a racer. Not everyone wants to push their cars to limit, and drive such that the degree of precision and control gained from a manual transmission is necessary. If you are a driver that is capable of completely utilizing the performance benefits gained from a manual, that's great. The simply fact is that most drivers are not in that category, and in a good many cases, the added coordination necessary for pushing in a clutch and operating a shifter will distract them from the rest of the basic operation of the car.

Now, I know you are probably saying to yourself that, in that case, such people have no business driving to begin with, because they obviously aren't paying close enough attention to their surroundings. Most drivers don't pay enough attention on the reads... I completely agree with this. But, what are you going to do? Force everyone to go back to driving vehicles with manual transmissions?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:06:49 PM
Forcing people how to properly learn to drive will do me. I'd care less with auto drivers if it weren't for the fact most of them cant control a vehicle. No one should be allowed a licence without some sort of advanced drivign that teaches skid control, proper braking, swerve / recover and the dynamic differences of slippy surface driving.

That's just for a start. Once you are shown what a benifit a manual is to survive on the road, I'm sure less autos would be sold. I'm also sure that there would be less incompetent fools on the road too - fools who think they can get away without a seatbelt, talk on a mobile, drink drive, drive on drugs or tired, maintain their car to a sub standard level. Or think SUV's have anything to do with Sports.

really, a car is not a toy or somethign to be taken caually. I'ts 1.5 ton of machinery that can kill in a blink and unforgiving. A licence should be a privledge, not a right.

Charley
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:08:09 PM
Been driving an auto for 7 years. Still alive. Thx.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:59:52 PM
I've owned/driven both. I prefer manual because I have more control over the car that way.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:31:48 PM
I've only driven a manual. *le shrug*

Morgan Evanar
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:48:33 AM
I much prefer a manual. When I get in the minivan or the Prius my left foot starts looking for a clutch pedal, esp in the Prius. The Prius needs to be "auto" though, because of its crazy hybrid CVT drivetrain and regenerative breaking.

I LOVE my friend's Maxima, hopefully he will get his clutch fixed soon. =/ Chasing him through the Grove is fun, even though I have to keep the Civic near the redline most of the time. x_x

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:36:48 PM
Life begins at 7,000 rpm :p

Morgan Evanar
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:38:58 PM
Yes, but it would be nice if the car had some power before that.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:43:35 PM
So? You still have 1000 rpm to play with :p

Rotaries are the yum for revs. Used 11,000 rpm to beat my brother in a dirt track event once

Nevlonniel
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:03:03 PM
Don't buy new. Instead, buy reputable. Relationship between price and age is hyperbolic. You wait and get a 2 or 3 year old car, you can get something extremely nice for very cheap.

I plan to get used. :) Besides, what I want (and will get) isn't being manufactured anymore, so it forces me to go for used. :p