PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying is hard!

Destiny Stormrider
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:15:24 PM
I don't know if this also applies to others, but I find it hard. One day, you're in a very good mood and you start a thread: your character's in a great mood, all happy and gay. The next day, something crazy happens to you, so you have all these emotions mixed in you. You're going crazy because you're confused and you might even be a bit moody. If you reply to the thread mentionned previously, you (okay maybe just me) won't be able to keep the same ambiance/attitude.

(Yeah, stupid post. I'm sorry, just had to let it out. Going nuts :( )

Kariss
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:24:53 PM
Oh no, you are NOT alone in this! What ever your RL mood is, it can reflect in your RP characters...something I have found to be quite true! :lol

Dae Jinn
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:25:26 PM
*hug*

I've had that happen to me quite a few times. So no worries! Just leave the thread for another day. :) (and it's not a stupid post either.)

Taylor Millard
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:26:24 PM
Well the way I do it, is I try to partition my mind so I can get into the various characters. It shouldn't matter what kind of mood I'm in (unless I'm dead tired and can't put a coherant thought together).

Being able to seperate yourself from your character is something extremely hard to do, but it can only help you in your writing.

Or that's how I think of it anyway.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:31:35 PM
A mood can definitely affect your ability to write a particular character, it's true, but it is just writing. If you find yourself in the "wrong" mood, try going back to the last post you wrote in the "right" mood and using it to psych yourself up.

Personally, when I'm in the "right" mood I tend to make a lot of plans so that when I'm in the "wrong" mood I still know what I'm gonna do.

Dae Jinn
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:33:33 PM
Yeah, but sometimes you're just in a crappy mood, and don't know what to post if your character is all happy-go-lucky. If I'm in a bad mood, I find it hard to post anything (that's IMO) good. So I don't.

Kariss
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:34:28 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Yeah, but sometimes you're just in a crappy mood, and don't know what to post if your character is all happy-go-lucky. If I'm in a bad mood, I find it hard to post anything (that's IMO) good. So I don't.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol

Pierce Tondry
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:41:21 PM
I don't have any happy-go-lucky characters. :)

imported_Ezra
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:48:04 PM
thats why I have one special character to post when Im in a bad mood :lol

*quickly bites Dae, then skips off*:mischief

Nathanial K'cansce
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:57:48 PM
Getting in a bad mood allows me to RP Snack so much better than when I'm in a good mood. But normally, I can only write good crap when I'm in a decently good mood.

Only times when I can't really write up a post is when I'm extremely tired/spent/exhuasted.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:21:44 PM
I find only keeping IC and OOC separated as much as possible keeps me from falling into that same pattern.

Also, I have enough characters that if I'm not in the mood for one, I can just write one of the others.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:35:14 PM
Only times when I can't really write up a post is when I'm extremely tired/spent/exhuasted.

Yep. I can always write most of my characters. I've always found seperating IC and OOC to be easy.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:41:33 PM
never really had much of a problem except for with Videl, some days I wanna fight to take out my annoyances of the day then the next I'm no longer in the mood to fight....I never have trouble writing any one char's post though, I think about it till I get something....not hard....

Pierce Tondry
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:46:07 PM
Sometimes IRL stuff happens and I have difficulty thinking creatively about what to have my characters do- I can't come up with plot elements, in other words. But nothing, and I mean nothing, breaks writer's block like good music.

*Wanders off to play a bit of Tool, just because.*

ReaperFett
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:47:46 PM
I found it hard, which is why everyone I majorly RP now is an extreme. Oddball is what I wish I was, Kam is what I think I am :)

Axel Tale
Jun 14th, 2003, 08:46:54 PM
I get that way too.

I have a character that I post with when I'm really depressed (her first post I had her try to kill herself) and now, well I can't think of anything to do with her!

But sometimes it's easy.

Neyasha
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:17:32 PM
I find emotion is not a factor in my posting. I have been Rping for so long now, I can turn the character I want to use on and off, and I kinda become the character for the time that I need.

Dae Jinn
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:46:49 PM
Dae is like my babeh though! I don't like when bad things happen to her! :p

I always try to think how my character would act/re-act when I'm writing, so, if I'm not in a good WRITING mood (ie, I'm depressed, think I suck, have no ideas that seem fresh and new), I stick to OOC.

I have a happy-go-lucky character though, so when I feel like being silly and writing a thread that's not serious (which a lot of Dae's seem to be sometimes, with relationships and character developement), I use Camdyn :) I can't have a million characters though, I've tried it, and then my other ones get neglected, so I just don't do it anymore.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:37:19 AM
I can only write for Dasquian when I'm feeling down, and Vega when I'm feeling cheery :rolleyes

Adriana Nakita
Jun 15th, 2003, 02:11:34 PM
Sometimes I just don't feel like writing, but mostly I can seperate my mood OOC with my chars mood, there are those exceptions though....

Kelt Simoson
Jun 15th, 2003, 03:59:16 PM
With Kelt i need to feel in a silly, puppyish mood.
With Sieken and Troy i need to fel a bit power hungry.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:25:07 PM
I post only when I feel like it - not a moment before, not a moment after.

Destiny Stormrider
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:55:15 PM
Sorry for the kinda late reply (lol twenty posts later) I was at a wedding, yay for me! :D

TAYLOR:Being able to seperate yourself from your character is something extremely hard to do, but it can only help you in your writing.

DAE:It must be the June birthday that causes us to think alike :lol

JEN: I'd have thought it was the opposite but oh well...strange...

Well, one of my characters is completely my opposite. I just found it challenging to react to situations differently from what I'd do in real life. I usually don't think and say whatever I feel like saying (mostly telling people off, that's bad!).

I know that IC and OOC should be different, but you can't concentrate on your post if you keep thinking of something OCC that's making you go crazy, know what I mean?

Charley
Jun 15th, 2003, 06:49:59 PM
I've got a character for every mood ^_^;

Adriana Nakita
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:14:34 PM
LoL~ Charley and LoL~ at the new Gandalf - Marcus

ReaperFett
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:14:55 PM
And two for some of them ;)

Adriana Nakita
Jun 15th, 2003, 08:35:37 PM
How many chars does the average poster have here?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 08:59:23 PM
anywhere from 1 or 2 to 20ish over time and then there's Charley with too many...:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:06:12 PM
47 in my case. Tho I've pretty much only use three now

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:11:46 PM
I have about 18, but I don't use them all, all the time.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:24:11 PM
around 30-40 for me but I only use um...*thinks for a second* 4 at the moment normally....

Adriana Nakita
Jun 15th, 2003, 11:48:48 PM
O_o Holy Cheetos! and I thought 3 was a lot....

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:21:15 AM
these are over the span of 3 to 4 years for some of us....others just gain a lot in a short period of time.....

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:43:16 AM
I think I've got about 14 or something now, although it's only usually 2 or 3 of them that are active at a time. I stick with the main few and let others drop off and fill their place with new ones every so often

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:59:39 AM
I've got a lot of side characters, though not anything reaching into the twenties or anything like that. I just don't have that many characters in me! :lol

Okay, well, down to the main thing of this thread. I find it pretty easy actually to keep the two seperate. I pour myself into my characters. My writing process is probably different than most all of you, though I might be wrong and you all do the exact same thing.

When I write, I am the character. It writes itself. It almost seems sometimes like what I have them saying or doing is like me doing it. Then, if I'm writing a story where I'm controlling outside things, like NPCs, etc. they seem to act independant of me. Kind of seems crazy probably, but it's what happens. I don't ever edit my stuff and never plan it beyond what I want the RP to ultimately be about and what the premise is. It just happens.

It's odd. Syrius' threads always seem to change where he's against incredible odds, is totally screwed, and is smoking his life away worrying about it. Sage is always in control, even if it's chaotic. Sage takes on some pretty big odds too in my RPs, but he always seems to be dealing out bigger punishment than the bad guys, almost like they have more to worry about.

I think maybe there's some phycological stuff there. Maybe Sage is my smooth side, the one that feels in control and is confident. Syrius is maybe my "why does this raincloud hover over me?" kind of guy, though he's always has a comic outlook on things. Well, he's not comical, but the way he reacts to things is comical. Like in a thread with Camdyn(Dae) I come out from behind a dumpster, facing a thug, armed only with a jug of kitty chow... :lol

Though I will admit, when I'm in a mood that cooresponds with my character's established mood, my writing seems to improve.

Silus Xilarian
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:25:47 AM
Ive got about 15 characters I think, but only 3 main ones.

the rest I post with according to my mood, or whenever they're needed

Sene Unty
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:06:44 AM
only four....and basically only post with Sene.

Leten Snat
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:00:23 AM
I have 7 characters... An I use all of them