PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:32:48 PM
With it coming out 9 days from now I figure I start this. I might just count down the days in the mean time but I wanted to tell anyone who reads the book not to spoil it unless they use spoiler tag no saying Harry dies (I am sure Harry is safe by the way ;)) There is no reason to spoil the book before anyone reads it. Until next Saturday you can use this thread to talk about your thoughts about the book or about the past 4 Harry Potter books.

sirdizzy
Jun 12th, 2003, 01:02:03 AM
actually one of the main characters is suppose to die in this book

thats what rowling has said in interviews

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 12th, 2003, 02:13:10 AM
Harry dies.

Sorry I had to say it. ;)

Droo
Jun 12th, 2003, 08:06:46 AM
Thanks very much, Dizzy. We have spoiler tags you know.

I can't believe you've just done that.

sirdizzy
Jun 12th, 2003, 08:22:47 AM
hey i haven't read the book, i don't know who dies

how is that a spoiler, [all i know is someone dies

i really doubt its one of the major three though ron, hermione or harry

Charley
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:21:13 AM
nevertheless, next time you may have pertinent information like that, keep it in the spoiler tags.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:24:26 AM
Well I already new that still if you find out who dies please use spoiler tag. Also more news, AOL and Amazon both released a clip which said that the demantors are back and it looks like they show up in the beginning of the book and Harry is forced to use Magic and he is now up for expulsion because it was outside school

sirdizzy
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:28:00 PM
everyone is so uptight, honestly if ya don't want to see spoilers ya don't go into a thread thats about it before ya read a book or see a movie

why can't people be proactive about their own spoiler influence instead of us having to babysit them

Figrin D'an
Jun 12th, 2003, 05:45:20 PM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
everyone is so uptight, honestly if ya don't want to see spoilers ya don't go into a thread thats about it before ya read a book or see a movie

why can't people be proactive about their own spoiler influence instead of us having to babysit them

It's Carr's thread, he set the rules. He requested that people use the spoiler tags. 'Nuff said.

sirdizzy
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:29:41 PM
so can i make my own thread thats spoiler intensive ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:45:56 PM
You would have to mark in the thread title that there are spoilers in the thread. For instance:

HP and the Order of the Phoenix [spoilers]

Dizzy you've been posting here a long time, I cannot believe you didn't know that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:23:37 PM
Well Dizzy if you want to start one go right ahead but put spoilers in the title please really I would wait till you read the book there is almost no spoilers out there, except for that thing that AOL released.

sirdizzy
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:16:38 PM
damn i can't win for losing

hmmmm i am going to some harry potter party at this cool bookstore, then at midnight they had out copies of the book (and if ya prepaid for the book they gave ya %25 off which i did)

so i figure sense i get my book at midnight i could like maybe read 8 hours straight and post like a huge spoiler thread that morning ;)

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 12th, 2003, 10:07:10 PM
I ordered mine online, with Amazon guaranteeing release-day delivery. WOO HOO! I'm a huuuge Harry Potter fan (yes, it's true. Little known fact.) and I'm really looking forward to both this book and also the next movie. I naturally read very very fast, so I'll probably have a spoiler-laden review up in a bit as well. :)

I have heard a few things confirmed so far:

-Someone described as "a fan of harry" dies. Hagrid? Mrs. Weasley? Colin Creevey?

-There is a new female defense against the dark arts teacher with a nasty personality.

-We will see lupin and the gang again, but there are 9 new characters.

-We will also see Mrs. Arabella Figg again, and yes she is the same Mrs. Figg as the one that watched Harry before he went to Hogwarts.

-We will alo learn something "surprising" about the Dursleys. Is Aunt Petunia a squib? She seems to be bitter enough about Lily.

Eee! I can't wait.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:05:16 PM
Sure Dizzy go ahead you can do that it might be good to have a seperate thread just keep Spoilers listed in title. And about what you said Ryla I have theories there myself. My guess is between Mrs. Weasley, Hagrid, and Lupin. They are all big fans, can't count Dobby out either it looks there is a house elf gone bad (Winky?) so Dobby could get killed by her. Also about the Dark Arts teacher anybody think it could be Rita Sketter? Rowling said she will return in Book 5.
8 Days the waiting is killing me.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:22:42 PM
I must disagree. I think Colin Creevey or one of the other students like Neville Longbottom or Ginny Weasley are more likely choices for death. I've never seen Lupin, Mrs. Weasley, or Hagrid as 'fans' of Mr. Potter.

I am anxious to see what role Snape will play.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:23:27 AM
Well Rowling has said the death will be very hard to write and so I think it will be a big character not another student. Also I think the word fan is used very loosely there. Still if it is a true fan I would bet on Dobby he is defintely a fan of Harry though I don't know if I see him as a hard death. About Snape I have read you find out more about him in this book have no clue what we will learn though.

darth_mcbain
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:25:52 AM
I can't wait... Unfortunately, I'm going to be travelling that Friday through the next week, so even though I pre-ordered it and Amazon will deliver it Saturday, I won't get it - so my better-half gets first crack at it... The toughest part will be staying away from all the spoiler stuff that is and will be flying around here... Enjoy it everyone, I know I will, just a week after the fact...

Droo
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:00:03 AM
I too am dying to read this book and have been avoiding even the hint of spoiler when it came to articles and updates concerning Rowling's new book. I may actually be able to book next week off work because I have Order of the Phoenix pre-ordered and am going to pick it up at the special midnight opening of the nearest Waterstones. I want to be able to start it immediatly, if not, first thing Saturday morning. Normally I'd be in work but fingers crossed, I'll get the week off.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:22:53 AM
I am actually going to the store Saturday morning to pick it up, I am doing the midnight thing so looks like Dizzy will get read before me :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:00:46 PM
7 Days to go

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 14th, 2003, 11:12:54 PM
6 Days left.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2003, 11:11:01 PM
5 days to the Order of the Phoenix.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 15th, 2003, 11:30:48 PM
Maybe if you count down the rest now, it'll make the book come faster. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:10:09 AM
Hey I wish it work that way :p Its not too much longer though. Hopefully the wait till Book Six won't be as long as the wait for the OOTP has been.

Droo
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:49:49 AM
I can't believe you've been doing a countdown to Potter No. 5 without quotes!

"Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade."

:D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:20:47 AM
LOL I could have didn't really think about it. That is a great line from POA, though just about anything from Snape is great.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:50:48 PM
4 days to go
"Lets match the powers of Lord Voldemort, Heir of Salazar Slytherin against the famous Harry Potter,"

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:12:35 AM
A truck full of the book has been stolen. It was near where Dru lives.

Give them back Dru ;)

Sene Unty
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:46:04 AM
NO GIVE THEM TO ME!!!!!!!!!

Droo
Jun 17th, 2003, 10:48:27 AM
:lol!!

I've had six different peopple say that to me in work today, not suprising though as the nickname workmates give me is "Potter" and even over the tannoy you will hear: "Staff announcement, Harry, office please."

On a more serious note, I best be able to get my pre-ordered copy on Friday night after this outrage and I hope the little bar-stewards get caught. Apparently the lorry was headed for Asda stores though. Mine's reserved with Waterstones. Woohoo! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:57:15 AM
I'm sure he will get caught they caught the last guy who did it. Plus this guy will probably be stupid he will probably try to sell them on EBay and get caught that way.

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:22:25 PM
The difference was he tried to sell it to the papers, while this person just has to go to a market and sell them.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 17th, 2003, 08:52:23 PM
A couple of graphics goodies for ya:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07tt5/harrypottergraphic.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07tt5/foxtrotharrypotter.gif

:)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:19:24 PM
Wow that is a lot of books, also that cartoon is funny :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 10:13:26 PM
3 days to go

"The Dark Lord Lies Alone and Friendless, Abandoned by his Followers. His Servant has been chained these twelve years. Tonight, before Midnight...The Servant will break free and set out to rejoin his Master. The Dark Lord will rise again with his servant's aid, greater and more terrible than ever he was."

Droo
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:22:35 PM
Two days left. I'm practically bouncing off the walls.

"Now untie him, Wormtail, and give him back his wand."

Droo
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:28:04 PM
By the way, I've not read up on OotP much at all, in hope of avoiding spoilers. So to many it might be common knowledge exacty what the Order of the Phoenix is, but here's what I think:

Now that Dumbledore and Fudge have parted ways as it were, I believe the Order of the Phoenix will be - vaguely - Dumbledore's answer to Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:13:33 PM
I think that is possible, it sounded like he was planing something in GOF. Also I didn't look at it but supposely the New York Daily News has spoilers in their review. I completely avoided the link to the article and have no plans on reading it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:54:40 PM
2 days to go

I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach

Droo
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:28:17 AM
Yeah, she's filed a $100 million lawsuit against that newspaper too.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:40:59 AM
I saw that but I thought it was 10 million.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:51:45 AM
I have never even picked up a Hairy Pothead book. Though my first date with my current GF was to see the second movie, what was it called, Socerors Stoned?

Droo
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:23:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3002520.stm

Definately $100 million. Serves them right! Mwuah ha! >D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:42:50 AM
Hey no pot jokes if you don't like Harry Potter don't comment on it. About the lawsuit I doubt they will get a 100 million but I think they will win, Ny Daily News was just wrong to publish it early they should have left it alone.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:48:19 AM
No I'm afraid that Freedom of Speech/press far outweighs intellectual property and they did nothing illegal or immoral nor did they use their journalistic priveledge to obtain a copy of the book early. If she is going to sue anyone it should be the shop owner, but her case isn't valid against the paper.

The press is not under any obligation to not print something they have access to unless it is a matter of national security or hampers a legal investigation. The cries of some too rich for her own good writer and some multi-billion dollar corporation should not ever be able to silence legal journalism.

Droo
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:53:12 AM
Originally posted by Ka' el Darcverse
The press is not under any obligation to not print something they have access to unless it is a matter of national security or hampers a legal investigation. The cries of some too rich for her own good writer and some multi-billion dollar corporation should not ever be able to silence legal journalism.

What utter rot. It's not about feedom of seech because that would relate to an opinion, this is about copyright infringement. Accordiong to what you say in the quote above, the paper in question would have the right to print the entire novel if they so wished. This is clearly illegal.

Shock! Horror! The press overstep their boundaries again! All they're going to get is a good smackdown and rightly so. Although, I too doubt they'll get $100 million for it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:56:31 AM
Actually you are wrong their it is copyright law which from I read you can't print anything from a book before it is published and even afterwards you can get into some serious trouble. The landmark case for this was in the 70's when some paper printed some of Gerald Ford's words from his memories. He sued and won a huge settlement since than nobody can't print anything without the author's permission. That is really the problem here they copied part of the book and put in the paper that goes against Copyright law.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:04:40 AM
No, I'm afraid this isn't copywright infringement. Writing out the entire novel yes, printing a story on a wildly popular book that happens to only reaffirm what the writer has already comeout and said in an interview is not.

If George Lucas were to say "I'm going to kill off Jar-Jar Binks" to the press and then by a mistake of his distributors the film was leaked out early and the press got ahold of it and said yes Jar-Jar Binks was killed, and had a disclaimer in it such as the Papers story then he could do nothing, much how what happened with Ms Rawlings book.

Now if what you say is correct Carr and they copied portions of the book into their story then yes they are in violation of the law but if they simply confirm what has been reported then they are not.

And as far as not being able to voice my opinions, bah just because I'm not swept up by a kids book that everyone else seems to be insane over doesnt' mean I can voice my opinion.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:09:58 AM
Yeah they print pictures of pages of the book and put some of the novel directly in the story that is why I think they are making such a big deal. If they had just reviewed the book they probably wouldn't be facing a lawsuit.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:16:22 AM
Ahh then they are in clear violation. However from what I read that Dru had posted they had only reviewed the material, which wouldn't have been in violation.

BTW here is the Supreme Courts Findings on your Ford case. (http://www.publaw.com/fairuse.html) Which it seems that the paper is in direct violation of a few of these however it isn't in violation of a few others. Since no one had a contract with Rawlings (am I'm spelling her name right?) there was no "scooping' of any rival news corporation that had a legal and binding contract.

My argument is no longer valid though with the enlightenment that the paper had published sections of the book which is a direct violation of the law. I was under the impression that it was simply a review of the book.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:28:49 AM
Well I read that on an AP article which said they quoted directly from the book and gave away the whole plot. I also read somewhere they showed photos of pages of the book but I am not exactly sure of that. Still they are in violation, they be smart to settle this and get it over with.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:30:12 PM
Less than a day to go yippie about 22.5 hours for us in the states and 17.5 over in England. It is getting very close.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory" Great Quote by Dumbledore from GOF. I put spoiler code fro those who haven't read GOF.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:31:23 PM
(am sydney time it's out. I'm not that keen I need to get it tomrrow.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:32:34 PM
I don't think it will be available in Australia until after Midnight GMT whatever that it is in Australia.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:48:57 PM
JMC, I think the choice between what is right and what is easy will be a huge theme in this book and beyond. And, after some consideration, what if the "Fan" is none other than Mr. Weasley? Could be a possibility. Still, I think that Colin Creevey is the most obvious choice for offing.

I'm still worried, however, that these books will get too dark for little kids to enjoy. I've heard that book five is much more... bleak than the other four books, and they have gotten progressively more dark, so it would fit. Eventually, in book seven, I believe that Dumbledore will have to die to protect Harry. Especially in light of the fact that the entire series so far is about dealing with the actions and failures of the previous generation.

I am so psyched for this book!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:55:57 PM
I don't think Colin will be it, he is too minor. Mr Weasley is possible though my bet is Mrs Weasley it would shock people, IMO. Hagrid is the obvious choice or perhaps Dobby (who is really a fan of Harry)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:57:48 PM
Thats 9am Sydey = midnight GMT.

I'm betting Hagrid dies myself.

Droo
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:58:32 AM
The interview with JK on BBC2 last night was very interesting. What really excited me is the fact that she already has the last chapter to book seven written. She knows where she's going and apparently there's some huge core to the entire plot which no-one has guessed. It's very exciting, here's the link to the interview transcript:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3004456.stm

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:00:29 AM
You might be right Marcus that is pick #3 to me, to me there are like 7-8 characters that could die, IMO, I am leaning towards Mrs. Weasley but it could be Hagrid or Lupin as well. I am really woried about Snape and Sirus I would hate to see one of them die. Another possibility is Dumbledore but I am not sure about him.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:18:05 PM
Oh man, killing Lupin off would SUCK! He is one of my favorite characters!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:05:51 PM
I am praying it is not Snape or Sirus to me that would be horrible. We are suppose to learn more about Snape, I hope that doesn't mean that will be the deathnail for him.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:06:30 PM
Well you lucky dogs in England and Australia now have the book. Now no spoilers here please unless its tagged.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:18:50 PM
I was about to say, it's been officially released for 17 minutes.

But at 49 dollars recommended retail price!!!!!!

SOD OFF!!!

I'll wait for a bit for prices to drop.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:20:54 PM
I am getting mine for 16.99 here, I am sure you can find it cheaper someplace the recommended price for it here is like 30 something. But most places are selling it cheaper.

Droo
Jun 20th, 2003, 05:41:08 PM
I have it. It's my own. My precious! And this is just a quick message to say "YAY!" and now I'm going to start. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:28:08 PM
I'm now putting money in Sirius dying in a very ugly manner

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:35:47 PM
I hope Marcus you didn't take a peak.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:40:36 PM
Why do you hope that? unfortunantly that death would make even more sense that the one I thought it could be. I hope it's not but I dont have hope

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:42:16 PM
Because I don't want it to be Sirus :( that is the only reason why. My gut tells me Mrs. Weasley but it could be Lupin as well, IMO and there is a chance it could be Dumbledore too which would shock most people, IMO)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:48:13 PM
Unfortunantly, considering what Rowling said about how hard it was to writhe the death, I have to bet on sirius now. Plus, no one seroiusly saw that one coming - Hagrid was the obvious one.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:10:43 PM
Well it could be Lupin mainly because Lupin is one of her favorite characters she has said so several times. Also I saw her on dateline earlier and she said that death was a character "she considered a major character so that makes me think it is not somebody everybody would see as a main character like Lupin, Sirus, Dobby, and Mrs. Weasley. Actually saying that I now think it will be Lupin because at the end of GOF Voldemort gave Wormtail a silver hand, that is death to a wearwolf.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:33:36 PM
Good point. Hmm, lets think now:

Lupin - A popular character, possibly a fan of Harry, but more like a father figure. I don't see Lupin as getting whacked because it would leave Harry without his guidance, and Lupin is such a cool guy, someone you want to trust. I hope it's not him.

Sirius - Another cool character, but I don't think he's been developed enough in the audience's mind to be a favorite. He also isn't really a fan, and I think the fact that he is Harry's godfather will come into play here as well.

I honestly hope it's not Ginny or Colin... Two nice characters who have been developed enough, IMO, to be painfully killed.

Dumbledore CAN'T DIE!! He is Harry's source of support and understanding, and is almost Voldemort's antithesis.

Mr. or Mrs. weasley is a more likely choice, I still think.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:03:04 PM
I am going to go over some of them and some others

Hagrid is a fan but he seems so obvious still he is on a mission to the giants he is possible.

Dobby, well he is a huge fan that is for sure there is also talk about a vindictive house elf so Dobby could get in the way

Mr Weasley personally I doubt he is too important to the story I think he will have to rise and take Fudge's place in the ministry at some point, IMO

Mrs. Weasley She is very possible, IMO because she is like a mother to Harry plus she would effect many other characters

Ginny well she almost Died in COS so I don't see her dying and I would rule out all the students mainly because if a student dies it could end Hogwarts

Snape his role is suppose to get bigger and he is a possbility then, he might do something that makes him a fan in OOTP

Sirus, well I agree Sirus is not developed enough and killing him off would be cruel for Harry though Harry is suppose to be really angry so maybe that explains it.

Professor Mcgonnell now this would be a shock because nobody would expect, but is she important enough

Dumbledore-Well there is a problem with killing off but he fits the mythos of the Gandalf-Obi-Wan-Merlin character of the older mentor who dies for the Hero to move on though I think 5 is early for it, IMO I see him dying at the end of book 6 or in book 7 myself.

Lupin, this is my candidate, I don't see him as a father figure to me that is more Hagrid or Dumbledore as they are around more plus I am not sure there is much more to his character plus the whole Silver hand I think points to his demise at some point though it might not happen in Book 5.

Those are my theories and now it is midnight here in the East and I can find out though I won't be getting my book until 8AM in the morning as preordered at Target and already spent 10 dollars :(

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:27:40 PM
Well, about Mr. Weasley replacing Cornelius Fudge, may I present Obsessive Historical Fact #1:

In the 3rd century, Saint Lucius succeeded Saint Cornelius as pope. Saint Lucius also happened to be adamant about not having people who were of different bloodlines (pure blood, anyone?) living in the same house. Lucius Malfoy will probably become the figurehead for an increasingly powerless Ministry of Magic and use his connections to Voldemort to segregate and purge the muggle-born witches and wizards.

Coincidentially, Saint Cornelius was elected into a papacy for only a short time. This was during severe persecutions and holding the papacy was pretty much a death sentance. Cornelius, much like his wizard counterpart, worked to maintain unity during these persecutions, but was eventually martyred.

And there you have it. :)

Also, did you know that the names of the Weasley boys are all in refrence to the knights of the round table, as well as the fact that King Arthur (weasley?) fought against a Roman emperor named Lucius? (Add that to the fact that said emperor's full name was Lucius Septimius Severus.)

Figrin D'an
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:41:16 PM
You are officially obsessed, Ryla. I dub thee Queen of the SWFans.Net "Potter People."

:p

As a side note... I'll read this book, but probably not for about 6 months or so. Too much else on the ole' reading list right now.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2003, 05:23:17 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm right about who dies. Bugger. Didnt see that coming. I'ld have sworn it would have been someone else.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:56:29 AM
Yay! I finally have a TITLE!!!

All these long years! :D

...Marky Mark, I hope you're not right.... but then again it does make sense. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:29:36 PM
Well Harry Potter beat the Hulk

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=8&u=/ap/20030622/ap_on_en_ot/harry_potter_44

It made more money in one day than the Hulk did all weekend. 5 Million copies in one day that is unbelievable. That is like 100 million (on average 20 dollars a book) this is more than I thought it was going to do.