PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Response I: Punching Bags (Open)

Abagael Zellan
Jun 11th, 2003, 09:00:17 AM
OOC: I’m not sure where this is going specifically, only that it’s leading to some insight into a part of Abagael’s past that has been blanked by her subconscious to protect her body from shock. It is part one of a three. That is all. :)

IC:

Three days. She’d been at the Greater Jedi Order for only three days now, and yet it seemed to her that every minute crept forward with agonizing slowness. Abagael had told herself that for the first few days she would not, would not, go to the office. The psychological repercussions of this personal decision were mind numbing. It seemed as if legal infractions were just popping up everywhere, cruel taunts that brought her thoughts back to the corporate job that she’d knelt in for ten years now.

Cooping herself up in her quarters hadn’t done any good. In fact it had worsened the situation, and her sons constant noise had driven her up the wall. If the truth were to be told, Abagael Zellan was one woman who wasn’t cut out for parenting. She was completely lost in the monumental task and instead of trying to tread water, Abby had resigned herself to floating aimlessly. Trent didn’t care, or if he did, the child didn’t show it.

Finally, on this third day, she could take it no more and had ventured out of her spacious room to the training facilities. Abagael didn’t have a Master yet—a fact that she paid little heed to—but that didn’t mean that she couldn’t shape herself up. And that was how she came to be wearing the boxing gloves.

The punching bag had been hanging in a corner of one of the gyms, and for some reason Abagael had the sudden irrepressible need to go and try a whack at it. As far as she knew she’d never tried one before. But if that were true, she shouldn’t have been able to tape her hands so expertly, to select and slide on the gloves with such ease.

Holos. I’ve seen it done on holos.

It was the only line of reasoning that fit, that explained away her doubts. And so Abagael accepted it and took a swing at the bag.

She was good. She was very, very good.

One hand stayed constantly in front of her face at all times, protecting it from the invisible opponent as the woman struck out against the bag again and again, never letting it rest. Abby had expected the gloves to feel heavy and awkward on her hands but instead they became an extension of her appendages, becoming red blurs as the erratic strikes became an intricate, orchestrated dance. Muscles she hadn’t known she had were put into play, becoming more compliant and flexible with every move. Her footwork was a frenzy of steady hops, allowing movement in all directions at a seconds notice. The transformation was incredible. Abagael, the tense lawyer-Padawan, had become a machine, both fluid and precisely calculated in her moves.

“Bastard!”

She didn’t mean to bark out the word. It flew from her mouth on it’s own accord, and suddenly it seemed the right thing to have been spoken.

“Bastard! Bastard! Bastard!”

Each procured profanity was punctuated by a punch, louder and harder every time. And as the blows continued to rain down on the innocent piece of equipment, hot angry tears slipped from the corners of her bright blue orbs. A weaving was occurring between the present and past memories that she couldn’t see, but rather felt; the desperate clinging hold of entrapment. As the feeling of panic grew Abagael broke her reign of hooks and enthroned a roundhouse on the flailing bag. But her stride was beginning to waver, her punches striking just off slightly. Abby didn’t notice. She was lost to it all.

“God, please. Please stop it.”

The words were whispered in a jerky plea, for her breath was coming quick. They weren’t directed at the bag, but rather at herself. Something was happening to Abagael. She was remembering.

A pile of credits, on a desk. The room was shadows upon shadows.

“I don’t have it all yet…”

Her voice, and then she saw a glimpse of herself. Younger, years younger…maybe only twenty. Her hair was short and there was an appealing naivety about her.

“Our agreement was for reimbursement in full.”

Couldn’t see, who was talking?

“I know, and I swear I’ll pay you back ju—“

Do you know what shockboxing, is Miss Zellan?”

The memory jerked suddenly and ran together, like a bad reel of film. And then it faded.

“No!”

Crack!

The leather seam of the bag split a good three inches. But even that could not snap Abagael out of her furious attack. It seemed as if she were determined to go until she collapsed.

A far cry from Abagael K. Zellan, attorney at law, who avoided breaking a sweat whenever she could.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:58:13 AM
"You know, if you keep hitting the bag like that, your going to hurt your wrists"

She didnt listen. If anything, the flailing at the punching bag continued. He raised an eyebrow, stepped forward and deliberatly pushed the bag aside with The Force, so she missed completely.

"That will be enough now. I believe you have proven your point to the bag and it wont be fighting back."

Abagael Zellan
Jun 12th, 2003, 08:47:04 AM
"Ungh!"

Abagael tottered uncertainly, the force from her unsuccessful punch throwing her off balance. She was breathing hard, not bothering to wipe the sweat from her face, when quite suddenly her eyes seemed to focus. Abby took a step back, turned away from the bag and bent over, resting the gloves on her knees.

“Leave it alone.”

She muttered lowly, between breaths. For a reason she couldn’t fathom, Abagael needed to hit the training apparatus, had to prove something. She was no longer hung up on the fact that she had seemingly never done this before. Everything was focused on beating the tar out of her ‘opponent’.

“It’s got nothing to do with you, leave it alone.”

The woman glanced at Marcus and then straightened up, stretching her neck and moving to stand in front of the bag again. But it was still being held away by the Force. Abby moved only her eyes to look at the man again.

“Let it go.”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2003, 05:42:38 PM
"No, I will not"

There were all sorts of ways t continue from here. He could go into full blown Jedi Master Mode and lecture why the emotions she was having were bad. He could let her go and walk away. But that felt wrong = and he wasn't the type who walked away.

"It's not going to help you. It's not going to give you a release, nor is it the end of the emotions you feel. Are you going to feel better when the bag is just wreck on the floor, or will you kick it as well?"

Man, that sounded dumb.

"Ha. That's Jedi nonsense. What I would say is you shouldn't punch - you'll hurt your hands. A knee to the groin is much more satisfying. Dont you just love the way someone's face screws up and they look like they are going to puke after they recieve a groin shot? Plus, when they bend over in pain, they are open for an uppercut to the nose. Much more satisfying"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:02:13 AM
She had been about to protest heatedly after his refusal, but she found herself at a loss for words as he continued. Jedi nonsense? Knee to the groin? Despite her hard resolve Abagael found herself unable to stop a faint grin lifting from the corners of her mouth. She rolled her wrists around, the muscles tight and stressed.

“I’ve never been lucky enough to have experienced it. I’ve never fought in my life.”

The words sounded wrong even to her, as if she were releasing a falsehood. But Abby was absolutely positive that this was a first attempt; she’d always been a possessor of beginners luck.

She had not however, forgotten about the bag. Something was coiling inside her, ready to spring, and it was with great difficulty that she was managing to speak calmly. All her senses were telling her just to launch back into the calculated dance, but the woman grit her teeth and stood there, waiting.

“So I’m calm now.”

Ha. Like that was even slightly true.

“Are you going to let me get back to my workout?”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 14th, 2003, 01:29:38 AM
"Don't lie to me" he stated. "I can see through it and in this case, I dont need The Force to tell me what is true - I can see the tension on your body. I know your not calm. When your not calm in a fight, mistakes are made - fatal mistakes."

"Thence, you will properly calm your mind. That's the way you stay alive. Although... I wonder. I have a good eye for fighting styles and fighters. You dont seem to be a soft lawyer to me"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 16th, 2003, 09:13:01 AM
Almost immediately Abagael scoffed. He’d sounded like her father for a moment, and her reaction to the reminder of her old man was a most unwelcome one. But it was a brief aide memoir and was gone as quickly as it had flashed in.

With a resigned gaze Abagael brought one of the gloves up to her mouth and loosened it with her teeth, pulling it off in the crook of her arm. She did the same to the other and let the apparatuses drop to the ground while she unwound the tape from her hands. Once freed she clenched and unclenched them into fists, letting them stretch from their captivity. Despite the disarming, Abagael still felt like a whirlwind inside, exhilaration and panic colliding cataclysmically. Of course, she didn’t look so on the outside.

“I will properly calm my mind, huh?”

She raised her eyebrows and shook her head, disbelievingly. Picking up the gloves from the floor, Abagael walked back to their appointed shelving unit and placed them back where they belonged before sauntering back to Marcus’ proximity.

“How?”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:57:45 PM
"You can start by relaxing first. And I guess i can tell you the standard Jedi close your eyes, dont think thoughts, go Omm Omm and there, your mind is free, but that's a load of crap most of the time. Peace and calm truly begins from deep inside you.... it's hard to explain, until you really feel it for yourself. But I do know your not goign to be calm until your at peace with yourself - so why were you trying to beat the living <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> out of the bag, might I ask?"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:00:05 AM
Abagael shrugged uncomfortably.

“I don’t know. I just…was.”

It sounded stupid to her, and no doubt to Marcus as well. Abby grated her hand through her hair, glistening with sweat.

“Like I said, I’ve never done it before and I guess I was just trying to copy what you see on holos.”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2003, 03:30:42 AM
Marcus had a think about this for a moment.

"I dunno. Holos dont really get the footwork, the breathing and the timing across. I've never seen anyone just... able to punch a bag"

He let go of the bag with his mind, it swang downwards. Just at the point where it was at the bottom of it's swing, his foot came up and out, striking in a powerful side kick. The bag itself shot backwards for the force of the collision, the chains that tethered it rattling loudly.

"You dont learn that from watching holos. You get that from hours of training. The timing, the exact way to place your body, the breathing. I find just watching holos hard to swallow, especially when your doing it well. You sure you haven't trained before?"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:16:48 AM
Watching the bag out of the corner of her eye as it wobbled and swung, Abby nodded.

“I think I’d remember if I had training. That’s not like a card—you don’t tuck it away and find it years later.”

Sighing the woman began to shake out her limbs, stretching her neck from side to side. She was wracking her brain, trying to bring the memory that had so briefly flashed through her mind back to the surface. All that she remembered now was that voice, a mans deep voice with odd lilting breaks in his speech.

Have you ever heard of, shockboxing Miss Zellan?

Abby failed to mention that there was a rather large chunk of her life that she couldn’t remember. A whole ten years were a blur, and she had absolutely no recollection of what she’d done for the most of them. When the woman had passed the bar and become a lawyer, she had decided to move on and just assume that she’d been going through a rough period in her life; perhaps she’d been stoked out on drugs or something. Though she suspected with great conviction that the latter was not true, Abby needed something to pin together.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:45:03 AM
"Just find it hard to believe someone can just.... do it like that"

Clearly, he didnt believe what she said for a second. But things would come out when they were not pressed - He could also do one of thse Jedi things and find out for himself, but he preferred not to.

Although....... an idea came to mind. sometimes, beign a Jedi just wasnt fair. Being able to feel the emotions and thoughts of the unwary was cheating in times like this.

"I'm not much into shockboxing myself. Shockball on the other hand... I follow the Kuat Dragons myself. There's a bar not far from here that's basically dedicated to their lineback, Telcontar. I guess watching two people beat each other up for a living aint my thing"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:46:14 AM
Though she knew about it, Abagael was often caught off guard by the precision of Jedi perception. It was a little disconcerting, as far as she was concerned, but at the same time there was a voracious curiosity surrounding the skill.

“I don’t—”

Abby had been about to say that she didn’t follow shockboxing either, but an odd happening made her end her statement prematurely. Her voice, was echoing. At least, in her own mind it was, and when she moved, her gaze seemed to adjust slower, like a frozen datapad. It was as if she were under a great deal of pressure, weight. Quite suddenly she found herself hearing sounds that did not match up with the scene in the gymnasium. There was a lot of cheering, as if many beings were watching Abagael and Marcus, and yet there were few others present besides them. The fragmented memory cleared just as quickly as it had come, and her sight and speech returned to normal. Abby shook her head, ears ringing.

“Did you…hear something?”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2003, 04:07:07 AM
"Ummm... no? Maybe it's your memory trying to tell you something? A scene from the past or the future? Pardon me for speaking out of place, but are you sure of yourself now? I feel maybe your not. Tell you what, how about I pull on a set of gloves as well and face you off. That might jog your memory some more"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:34:15 PM
"Uh..."

Abby, still a bit shaken, shrugged and then nodded.

"I guess...take it easy though, I'm a..."

Well she didn't exactly know what she was. Deep down, she knew she wasn't a first-timer. Biting her lower lip out of agitation, Abagael began to re-tape her hands, walking over to the shelve of gloves.

"Whenever you're ready."

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:33:35 AM
OOC : Gimme a day or two, just having a brain fart time :x

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:16:43 AM
OOC : AGH! More brain fart! Lets just say I've got gloves and stuff and move on :x Sorry :\

Abagael Zellan
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:32:01 AM
OOC: Warning: May be a bit discombobulated. I'm still thinking in fragments.

IC:

Abagael shook her neck out, her hair damp with sweat. She was loosened already, and a strangely satisfying anticipation had settled in the pit of her stomach. Some strange person had replaced the woman she was outside of the gloves.

"We fight fair and clean, no Force business. Best out of three; Hit a knockdown target, you win, someone calls uncle, you win, can't get up, you win. Got it?"

She nodded, not waiting.

"Good. Start things off slow, first swing goes to you."

Abby grinned.

"Let's dance."

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 11th, 2003, 02:37:53 AM
A smmall grin crept over the face of Marcus - to be honest, he always got a thrill out of combat that wasn't exactly of a Jedi. There was a pureity that he enjoyed and responded to. He always had the tendancy to fight on what began on an enemies terms, to dance until he worked out the steps the enemy used, then switching tempo and counter striking unexpectantly.

Thence, he wasnt usually one to kick a battle off. He usually conceded the initiate to begin with.

He stepped slightly to warm up his limbs, before settling into a classic boxing ready - slightly crouched, hands in front, a highish defence. Even without the Force, he had one hell of a hit, growing up and living as he had on high gravity worlds. Coruscant was half what he was used to. One step and he fired a straight right jab, more to get range than a full blooded strike.

Abagael Zellan
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:52:58 PM
Marcus hadn't pulled anything flashy, so it was a simple matter of a quick jerk to one side for Abby to dodge the hit. There was no need just yet to get tricky, and so the woman didn't concern herself with it. Instead, she shifted her weight to her front leg in anticipation--which would have been a dreadful mistake on her part had it been unintentional.

But it was intended. Abby pulled one arm into a defenensive position while the other formed a tight 90 degree angle. The angled arm moved quickly, jabbing across at a diagonal aimed for the opposite side of Marcus, specifically his ribs.

It didn't feel right.

Abby hopped back, a glint in her eyes.

"On second thought, let's forget the kid stuff."

And she came in quicker.

OOC: Apologies, had major writers block.