PDA

View Full Version : In need of a n00 car

Makoto Neo
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:36:13 PM
Good news. The two who totalled my truck are going to pay the total value of the vehicle, which is about 20'thousandso, which leaves me well enough off to look for another vehicle.

So, Here's where you all come in at.

I need some suggestions. I'm not too touchy on height off the ground, so any trucks that are out of the Chevy line are cool with me. Speed... speaks for itself. Size, I do prefer four-doors on cars, but two-doors are good enough to roll with.

What should I look into?

:D

ReaperFett
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:41:08 PM
A TANK!

Over here, they cost around £15,000 ($22,500 I think), no tax, no insurance.....TRACKS! :D

Park Kraken
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:50:21 PM
Me, I prefer the F-150 Lariat.

Charley
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:57:55 PM
Not for 20 grand you don't.

Personally, I have a 1999 S-10, and I got it loaded for a steal price of 14 grand. It can't carry many people, but thats my only complaint. I love it :D

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:22:25 PM
Um, does it have to be another truck?

Makoto Neo
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:26:52 PM
No, it does not.

Sanis Prent
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:27:43 PM
Tiburon is the correct answer, then.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:37:40 PM
Slightly used Maxima 5/6 speed or Altima? Used WRX? The ricey but crazy Neon SRT4? Maybe a late 90s Audi A4?

Sanis Prent
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:40:27 PM
Morg's first suggestion is :thumbup

Personally, I'd avoid the Neon. Yes you can soup it up, but if cars were people, it would look like Gary Coleman.

I'm not well enough informed on the Audi A4 to pass judgment there.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:58:33 PM
Newest Celica GT-S as you can get, or a Maxima. I like Maximas.

Also, Mitsubishi Lancer is a good car, from what I hear.

But, if you're looking for some fun, pick up a classic Charger, Nova, or Chevelle with a big engine. Oh yeah, American muscle.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:01:56 PM
Mitsubishi Lancer Only the Evo. A regular Lancer doesn't compare to a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, Civic, or Corrolla. They're really sub-par compared to most other small cars.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:19:16 PM
I'll second (third? fourth? whatever) the Maxima suggestion. I rented one to drive up to DC in April, and I freaking loved that car.

Sanis Prent
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:21:45 PM
I've been in love with Maximas ever since the 1992 model topped every chart in its class in Consumer Reports. You really can't go wrong with it.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:23:10 PM
A4 = good, WRX = complete and utter pwnage. But you MUST maitain them and you must make sure the gearbox is good. I've got a 1994 Nissan Bluebird SSS (your Altesa I think it is), 2.4L, goes quite well and excellent quality. Maxima's are very good, they are the size and motor above the Bluebird.

Neon is an Amercian car and frankly, they suck. Go Jap or Euro if you can and avoid USA. Honestly, you guys are ripped off when it comes to homegrown stuff. If you ever go to Aust or NZ, you'll know exactly what I mean straight away. When Falcon turbos (350hp rear drive, four door) are pretty much stanard family hacks, or even more scary, Commodore wagon Gen III V8's, you'll know why Yank stuff is laughed at. Absolutly go for Euro or Jap.

Pity the new GTO (read Aussie Holden Monaro) is out of your range, cause they are brilliant.

But, if you're looking for some fun, pick up a classic Charger, Nova, or Chevelle with a big engine. Oh yeah, American muscle.

:x

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:36:14 PM
The Bluebird is the Altima here. And we get better engine options than you do :cool

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2003, 12:46:23 AM
Well I guess the VR-4 RS will just have to kick them Nissan's butts :D

Hard :D

We got close to the 160kph mark on the quarter mile today. Bit more work and we'll walk past it

Actually, there's another option IF you can find it - Galant VR-4, 4wd, turboed, in the USA had leather, climate control, power windows. And I personally can assure you, they modify into absolute rockets. Come to think of it, any post 1990 Jap 4wd Turbo is likely to rearrange your brain with the speed it has. There's good reason why the rally bred Jap cars are legends.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jun 10th, 2003, 06:11:29 AM
Always go for a Program Car in my opinion. You get it for the price of a used, but it's only got 10,000 miles on it and you get basically the full warranty.

As for my vehicle suggestions: V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Can carry people, got four wheel drive, got power and if you need to haul alot you can drop down the back seats and suddenly you have a short bed pick up truck.

Plus they are built like tanks. I flipped one end over end 3 times once at 50+ miles per hour. and from driverside door to passenger door you couldn't tell I was in a wreck, because the roll cage is so well designed. Next week with the insurance money we went out and bought another one, 90,000 miles later I'm still driving it and it's no worse for wear.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2003, 08:24:52 AM
NO. NO. NO.

If you get a big 4wd, Jeep's frankly are so far behind the latest Landcruisers and Pajero's, it's just not funny. Plus, a big 4wd has no right to be on the roads. It scares me 2 tonne of bad handling, underbraked POS is in the hands of soccer mums. IF you haul loads or regularly go bush, then maybe. But a Forrester can go places that would amaze you. And tow. And drops the rear seats into a neat bed. A Forrester is the correct answer for most situations except total extreme 4wd'ing. Plus, the GT rawks.

Dynamically, a big 4wd is a disaster - certain Jap and euro models excepted. A Pajero admittedly isn't that bad, but it's basis was more from a car, not a truck.The design similarities to the VR-4 and a Pajero are interestig at times - even if one is a rocketsled, the other is a big 4wd.

Saying a big 4wd is "safe" because it's built liek a tank is also a bad fallacy. That's wrong - modern cars are designed to absorb impact energy, a thing big 4wd's are now only being forced to comply with. Absorb = less energy directed to the cabin = less energy to passengers = more chance to survive

Sorry for the rant, but the prevalence of useless big 4wd's and the jokes called SUV's gets on my goat. The fewer there are on the roads, the safer the roads will be.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 10th, 2003, 08:41:55 AM
Lancruisers are overpriced trash in the States. I'd much rather have a Cherokee.

And there are only about 7000 Galant VR4's in the States, so its nearly unpossible to find one.

Maxima!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2003, 09:02:28 AM
Well, as 've just found out, Cruisers have different suspension in the States.... which negates the awesomeness they have off road here -_-

You guys really do get the raw end of the pineapple when it comes to cars.

(7000 Galants... thought there was 3000 originally...?)

Charley
Jun 10th, 2003, 09:07:12 AM
Grand Cherokees also never seem to age, and you get a great service package. My mom's had one for 12 years, and while it has some issues here and there, on the whole its quite a good vehicle.

Park Kraken
Jun 10th, 2003, 11:40:57 AM
I meant used. Costs about 18 thous, a used Lariat. The one I saw was in like new condition, except for the mileage. Maybe a helicopter of some kind? Like a Lynx?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 10th, 2003, 12:17:27 PM
I meant used. Costs about 18 thous, a used Lariat. The one I saw was in like new condition, except for the mileage. Maybe a helicopter of some kind? Like a Lynx?

Oh yeah, works great through those powerlines and sips gas. Parking is so easy :rolleyes