PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance at its best

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:43:35 AM
Though I am a HUGE fan of the game on www.nationstates.net and I think that what the authors of the site have done is awesome and very fun, you can never curb the stupidity of the masses.

http://www.nationstates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29039
(I hope you can view this, I dunno if you will be able to or not)

I never cease to be amazed at how untactful and cruel people can be to any differnet person on this planet, and this just further goes to show my point. There are several posts here that are vehemently and violently anti-freedom, not anti-homoseuxual. Please keep that in mind, because I do not consider someone who would actually say this to be promoting freedom to be whoever a person wants to be:

"Homo's have no (human)rights that's why people still call em FAGGOTS. get over it! find a hobby "

This is hate speech. A later post goes on to state that homosexuals should be killed for that reason alone. Although I have beliefs of my own and morals and have formed opinions concerning homosexulity, I think that it's ridiculous to, for one second even state that a person's sexuality would dictate whether or not they have human rights. That's as ridiculous as saying that the color of a person's skin decides their social status, and we've seen throughout history how that's worked out.

Anyway, I was appalled at this post and I have removed myself from the organization of people that would post such things. Though I certainly believe in free speech, and I believe that people have the right to say what they want so long as it isn't hateful and destructive (like the laws we have in place in the US), it sure as hell doesn't require me to stay in a group with people who half-a-mind to kill others just because they are homosexual.

Pardon the weight of this topic and the tone. This is not intended to open up a debate about homosexuality, and any mod has my expressed permission to delete the thread immediately at the first sight of a stinkin fight about morals.

This just really got me worked up, and I needed to vent to minds I actually respect. :D If you read this, thanks, and I hope you have a good day.

Ashley Illeus
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:49:32 AM
I saw this too, bunch of bleeding ignoramuses.

I still play at NS but I don't go to the forums anymo, simply because of people like that, who think that someone who wants to love someone of their own gender that that makes them lower or less human than heterosexuals.

People like those in that thread should be beaten with sticks, but that's just my opinion.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:55:56 AM
I AM OPPSED TO THE GAY RIGHTS BILL. IT ISN'T ENOUGH THAT WE HAVE TO SEE GAY SHOWS ON TV AND HAVE GAY DAYS IN OUR KIDS HIGH SCHOOLS NOW WE WANT TO LET THEM PRETEND THEY ARE NORMAL.

:rolleyes

Oh dear. I really do pity some people.

*drags self away from thread for fear of the dreaded soapbox*

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:57:26 AM
Yeah, I didn't mean to go all soapbox-ee. My apologies. :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:00:40 AM
No, not you. I just mean if I get started on this topic I will just have an absolute ranting field day :lol

Ashley Illeus
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:00:55 AM
*burns the soapbox*

Sorry if my post sounded Soap-boxie too. But people like that just!

*growls and shakes fist*

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:05:41 AM
Veggy--Ah, gotchya. I'm with ya now. ;) (hope you like the nickname! :lol)

Ashley-- Yeah, I know. But don't forget--you're already a step ahead. You aren't returning the hate. I'd be worried about you if you said "All people who think homosexuals should be killed, should be killed!" Then we've got a bad circle in motion! :)

Ashley Illeus
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:10:56 AM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
Ashley-- Yeah, I know. But don't forget--you're already a step ahead. You aren't returning the hate. I'd be worried about you if you said "All people who think homosexuals should be killed, should be killed!" Then we've got a bad circle in motion! :)

*coughs then looks away*

Wei Wu Wei
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:27:32 PM
I must say I am deeply upset. And only after reading the first page. Such an ignorant attitude. And misusing the Bible? That's got me steamed too. Those people truly are messed up. In more ways than one. Both the anti-gay rights people, and the pro-gay rights people. You made a good decision when you chose not to hang around on that board anymore. I'm proud of you Terran.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:28:49 PM
I didn't bother reading the entire thread, but I had to agree with the guy in the first post. No government should be able to force something like that, no matter if it's dealing with gay rights or what. But as for the issue of gays, I could care either way.

They should be able to do what they want.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:50:40 PM
Geez, what the heck is wrong with these people? >_<

I backtracked to look at some of the other threads, and right away I saw one with a poll on whether homosexuals ought to be punished. I read just the first few posts, then backed out.

That forum is full of ignorant, loud-mouthed, homophobic JERKS. In some ways, I feel great pity for them, because they're just so rude and crude. They're just downright barbaric. It's sad to think that there are such intolerant fools alive and well in the 21st century. :grumble

Live and let live. It may be an old cliche, but it's very true. Whatever someone does in the privacy of their own home is their business. It certainly isn't mine.

And it's none of those idiots' business either.

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:28:46 PM
Thanks Wei. I have a gay friend who just came out to me less than two or three months ago, and I've taken a whole new attitude about the subject.

Grev--That's the thing. An actual resolution that calls for all member countries of an organization to legalize same sex marriages and to promote them (as the resolution goes on to further state) is not really large-scale government business. It is not a very strong nor political resolution, so I can see some serious flaws in such a resolution actually in practice within a global community or power system. I was pretty much just hilighting the ridiculous behavior of the people involved, but I know you got the point. ;)

Jinn--Agreed. As long as that personal business does not harm anyone mentally or physically in the process (i.e. child abuse, domestic violence, suicide, etc.) a government has no right to infringe upon basic privacy and human rights.

Lion El' Jonson
Jun 8th, 2003, 12:57:59 AM
I still play at Nationstates. It's pretty unbelievable how intolerant some of the people are on the forums. Menelmacar is damn cool, though...then again, she's an admin. Sephirus goes around shouting down ideas, which is pretty stupid. Meklor is the tyrant admin that everybody loves....why, I'm not sure.

I'm not gonna get tangled up in your discussion, because I have a tendency to shoot myself in the foot during debates. Really, though, derogatory stuff like gay-bashing is completely uncalled for.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:47:24 AM
Well, I don't even go to the forums, I just play the game to have a little bit of fun. The reason I don't visit the forums is because mainly A: My time is limited and B: I don't like getting into debates about subjects where I know I'm right but the other person denies to accept logic and come to a reasonable conclusion. It's like talking to a stump. And I had a pretty good idea that a forum like that, about politics, would have their fair share of morons to go around. I didn't even read the thread, because I've heard that crap millions of times before, it's not new. If any of you guys want to become "soap boxey", then by all means, please do. If you're right, and you know you are because you examined the issue and came to the logical conclusion, than I'm all ears. You can even PM me and rant all you want. I'm absolutely willing to listen to your thoughts, and they need to be heard by somebody. P.S.: My keyboard's messing up(it's probably my computer though, as it's acting weird on its own right now) so forgive the lack of paragraphs. :)

Kelt Simoson
Jun 8th, 2003, 03:19:01 AM
What an idiot :-/

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 09:52:24 AM
Isnt that the POINT of this though? To see what kinds of governments can rise from people?

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:21:41 AM
Indeed, I believe that's why the nationstates game exists.

However, the forums are a different aspect of the site, not necessarily connected to the game. I didn't quit the entire game--I just quit the in-game UN and the forums connected to it.

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:25:25 AM
Why? Why should you run away just because some people have stupid views? There are people here with absolutely moronic views, but Im not moving.

Park Kraken
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:33:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think people of any kind should be singled out for what they are, what they do, so on, unless it's a criminal thing............
Just don't get me started on abortions, ok? Then I'll go all loony.
:crack

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:34:52 AM
Because I do not wish to make any sort of collective effort with a group of people who hold such ridiculous views. If I remian with the group, I personaly feel that any decisions/resolutions/ whatevers passed are connected to me--whether or not I like them. That's how politics work, by majority rule. If a decision is made, it reflects the views of the group as a whole--including myself. I have a choice whether to be a part of this group or not, and I have chosen not to.

Fans has so many different minds which, I'm sure, have probably as much of a wide range of beliefs and views as the UN Forum at nationstates. HOWEVER, I am in no way obligated to identify myself with anyone else's views here. I don't have to put my name down as part of the whole board when someone says something. There is no fight going on here to 'decide' issues. I don't have to express my opinions at all, nor do I have to try to argue and debate my own personal points against those of the close-minded.

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:36:23 AM
Terran, nothing has been voted on involving Homosexuals. So to leave is making it worse if something like that WAS voted on.

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:47:19 AM
But I don't even think that's the point, really.

The point is this: This is a group of people who are connected by a common game who come together within this forum to discuss in-game and out of game content. When I joined, I decided to puruse the forums and browse the topics. Having found myself rather disgusted by some commentary, I quit. End of story.

It is my right to decide with whom I associate, and the caliber of such a slanderous, hateful argument to occur tells me a couple of things about this group: 1) There are many closed-minded posters in it(as by the ammount of ridiculous posts) 2) and The Moderators/Admins do not respect the fact that the thread is blatantly hatespeech(as by the duration and content of the thread). Though this thread does not encompass every member of the forum, it is enough of a sample to turn me away.

Basicaly, this group means nothing to me personally, and I feel no connection to it. It is not indicative of any sort of real political body or decision. So why stay? Why start now, having experienced some of the 'politics in action' there?

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:51:20 AM
Because in the real world, all the important nations stick with the UN, and fight to make the world a better place, as opposed to going rogue just because of what MIGHT happen :)

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:52:49 AM
You are correct, Fett. I would agree wholeheartedly.

However, the UN Forum at nationstates.net is scarecly a figment representation of the UN. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:53:51 AM
Pfft, Bush posts there and you know it ;)

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:55:16 AM
:lol Hahahaha. . .(Realizes he's laughing and Taylor might be watching)

Now Fett, don't poke fun at the great George W. (takes on fake fatherly voice) ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:58:52 AM
But imagine how funny it would be, if he comes out and says the reason the countries involved attacked Iraq was because "There was a vote at Nationstates"! :)

imported_Terran Starek
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:35:43 PM
I don't think funny is the word, but the word does begin with F! :lol

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:42:44 PM
"I went into preferences, and decided to change our currency from "Dollar" to "Kittens"" :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2003, 06:36:02 PM
Copy Kat!

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2003, 07:27:53 PM
What? I put kittens as my currency first! :)

Park Kraken
Jun 8th, 2003, 09:22:47 PM
Kittens? Why not Kitten Fur?

Lion El' Jonson
Jun 9th, 2003, 12:01:30 AM
My currency is "Animal Crackers"...

Disturbing, no?

Kraken, dude, watch it or Marcus might think you're skinning kittens...:rolleyes

Park Kraken
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:10:07 AM
Ewww no. The way I see it, for every hair on a kitten, that is how much the kitten is worth for monetary value. So most kittens are like 100$ worth or more. For smaller units of money, we shave the kittens, and use individual hairs as cents.
Note: We do wrap the naked kittens in warm, comfortable towels.