PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Training for Little Tykes?

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:05:03 PM
If I'm three years old...and my dad says its ok...should I be getting some Jedi training?

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:25:03 PM
:lol

long as you really have daddy's permission :p

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:53:33 PM
*fist pumps in air in triumph* Great!

...do I need a permission slip?

Oh yeah, and I can't really talk this well. But pretty well. :mneh

AND...I expect Dad will want to see about getting me a master to train me in the first steps of the Force. :)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:05:40 PM
Does this mean we have to change your diaper? >_< :uhoh

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:00:31 AM
Okay so how is a three year old suppose to understand peace and calm?

Especially if said kid is denied a lolly?

Sage Hazzard
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:48:30 AM
Yeah, that'd be a little hard. Maybe if we had a telepath or something teaching the kid. Then they could maybe sooth him through imagry and maybe even teach him that way, by connecting on some lower tier consciousness. Something he could understand. I mean, could a 3 year old even understand the concept of peace of calm?

I'm not really sure what development level a three year old is at. I'm not around anyone that age. What level of growth are they at really? Like Marcus said, is this kid going to go whacko if he doesn't get a lolly? Especially if he could use the Force at some level, that'd be like a temper tantrum to the highest degree...

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:50:10 AM
Well, what if the training is left up to the parents, if the parents are knights, or if they are padawans themselves, a close family friend?

Sage, I think your telepath idea is a good one. Any really strong telepaths in here?

Sage Hazzard
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:58:31 AM
Well, his pops is Pierce, right? So, he's a Padawan, so he can't technically teach a new Padawan. But wouldn't teaching your own kid be acceptable? Hmm...

Um, the big two I can think of(may be wrong), are Navaria and Xazor. Though since you're communicating with a child of three, I wouldn't think it'd take as much skill. Since with a grown up you'd be communicating complex and abstract ideas. With a kid, I wouldn't think as much work would be involved. Though it might be more difficult to bring yourself down to that level, and not totally blow the kid away with stuff he can't process. Could go either way I guess,

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:06:36 AM
... Dasquian is good with children

Hadrian Invicta
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:35:57 AM
What age did the old order start training children. I dont' think it was much older than that. And with a firm hand a child that age can learn, it just takes patiences ( a Jedi trait lol) and the willingness not to given into tantrums.

James Prent
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:20:32 AM
He's three, not one. :p Three year olds can talk, use complete sentances, walk, make messes, and are usually potty trained. Only children get more attention at home, usually, so can become more advanced for their age.

I've Rped Jax as baby talking so far, but I'm going to make a concentrated effort to show him as growing up in the birthday thread in the LQ. :)

Also, I wasn't thinking lightsaber fighting or anything like an extended training session. Just little times with a teacher, a few times a week, showing the kid how to open up to the Force, and maybe beginning kinetic manipulation.

In the EU, the Solo twins were moving things around with the Force by the age of two. Think of it as kindergarten for the Force sensitive. :)

Destiny Stormrider
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:11:27 AM
Three years old can actually write the numbers till 100, the alphabet and all. I could (that's what my mom says). Depends on the kid.

I think that if the kid finds it interesting enough, he'll pay attention to what he's being taught. He'll want to be able to do it too. IMO, it's possible to teach him :)

Pierce Tondry
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:13:44 AM
Well, maybe if Pierce could get promoted he could teach. I know I said I wanted my training to be a quality one, but I never said I wanted it to take forever. :-p

PS- Jax has some small empathic ability right now. Pierce taught Jax a few techniques in an effort to pick them up through the method of teaching.

Wei Wu Wei
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:31:08 PM
ME! Pick ME! I wanna teach the little dude! Wei's three years old mentally, anyhow. Oh, Puh-lease lemme teach him!

Chaos Alexander
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:08:07 PM
The books say that Jedi started there training at very younge ages. No one knows what all they did but them, and well....they only exist in our minds. I am willing to bet though, that if they were alive, they would be strong working on moral/emotional issues at this time in life.

It is like Marcus said, how can a kid know Peace and Calm? The answer, you teach it to him. This is the age where kids learn right from wrong. Not just if I crap in my pants mommy will bring out the belt, but start to understand on a higher level. That mey be an area to start. The Solo kids Force powers seemed to be more instict and sub-coinciece (I know my s/p sux) at that time. When they were older, it took alot more effort.

James Prent
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:54:47 PM
its a lot easier to believe the Force when you're too young to realize that something 'can't' be done. :)

Brian, you wanna pick out a teacher for Jax or do we want to wait and make you do it?

Chaos Alexander
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:06:44 PM
point taken, and noted I might add. All in all I think it will be good to see how this turns out.

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:53:24 PM
Masta please!

:D:smokin

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:04:00 PM
I believe that the parents should be doing the initial training, not someone else. The even if Pierce is a Padawan, he is in fact best qualified to at the least get the basics to his own child - that would be much more difficult for others to achieve at this young stage.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:17:49 PM
Who is to say a young child would even listen to someone else who tried to teach him? :-p

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:25:35 PM
He better listen! Goodness, you haven't ever been around kids have you. ^_^;

I think I need a better parent, Pierce is obviously just going to let me do whatever I want until I'm 6 and then expect me to obey him. Ha!

:smokin

edit: Mark, in the Old Jedi order, of the prequels, children were SEPARATED from their parents and taken to the Jedi order, where they were steeped in training and learning from a very young age. Anakin was only..what...6? 8? and he was considered "much too old" to begin training.

I don't think that having parents train their own children was ever heard of, much less considered.

My only concern is that if Pierce were to undertake training of Jax, it would just be one more thing that I'm forcing Brian to do and I am enough of an RP burden on him as it is.

Speaking of that, I'm still waiting on Electrical Storm, da-da.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:27:03 AM
*Takes the cigar away from Jax and frowns at him.*

It's not a burden, it's just something I don't have any current inspiration for. I'd start out sucking mightily at this point... in fact, my current personal RP docket is almost cleared, with the exception of a story arc that happens in the past. I've been trying to come up with something else for my character(s) to do, but the fact is that as long as Pierce remains a Padawan, he's limited in what I'll allow him to do.

The Jedi Investigator thing is coming up, but after two starter RPs I have no immediate plans for that.

*Note to self: see if I can get my confidential RP started.*

James Prent
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:06:39 AM
izzat the PM one? i.e. the one you PMed me about?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:10:55 AM
edit: Mark, in the Old Jedi order, of the prequels, children were SEPARATED from their parents and taken to the Jedi order, where they were steeped in training and learning from a very young age. Anakin was only..what...6? 8? and he was considered "much too old" to begin training.

I am rather well aware of the children in the prequels - I even gave that some thought before reply. Jedi then were taken from their familes at such a young age, they would have thought the Jedi WERE their family. A child with an established family would have more difficulty accepting requests from others - my guess is the only one outside of the "family" as such that would succeed now is Evenstar, based on past RP history. The Jedi of the prequels were literally prevented from developing family ties. Jax OTOH, does have those ties. I may not have kids myself, but I do understand how hard it is for a stranger to gain the trust of someone that young.

My considered and resoned opinion would be that the only people capable of dealign with Jax is his father, or Evenstar. As such, my belief is that his father is by far best qualified. That's my Jedi IC opinion.

And OOC, I'd be loath to ask someone who hasn't got the will to even login right now :(

Pierce Tondry
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:14:11 AM
James: Actually, no, but thanks for reminding me about that one. It does need to be done soon. *Adds it to the docket.*

Marcus: Think I'd better have a li'l conversation with you in PM.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:10:34 AM
good lord this went on long :lol

Depening on how Pierce wants to play his boy depends on what is going to happen :lol personally, teaching a kid that has parents or not is going to be a pain :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:12:01 AM
the only people capable of dealign with Jax is his father, or Evenstar

We don't want Jax loosing his limbs, we want him trained, silly. :mneh

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 8th, 2003, 03:50:16 PM
I don't see Evenstar being good with kids, really. :mneh Patience would be required. ;)

Ok well I'll put this idea on hold then.

Destiny Stormrider
Jun 8th, 2003, 07:31:59 PM
I don't think a child would listen to a parent. I mean, he'd always have that little "let's mess/have fun/play with daddy" thing going on. Children usually behave better when strangers are around.

James Prent
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:43:14 PM
well whatever happens, I want some RPed Force lessons for da wee babe :)

Sage Hazzard
Jun 9th, 2003, 02:00:37 AM
Well, strangers probably scare the crap out of some kids that young, which wouldn't be good. And children can't really be taught that young to ignore their negative emotions and think clearly can they? I don't even remember being three(does anyone?) so I'm not much help in that area I must confess.

How smart is this kid? Is he a child prodigy or is he your basic lil' tyke? I say that if you want to teach him, find a way. It is really wrong for someone to try to teach this kid? Can't hurt. Just get someone who's willing and start it, then see what happens. If you find it being a big "let yourself into the Force, child" "Wha--? Where's daddy? I want an ice-cream." thing, then you'll know it ain't going to work out. I'm sure there'd be an IC character Jedi willing to teach a child that young. And if they failed, they failed. But their character would atleast try, I would think.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:12:47 AM
I think Ryla could train Jax. She's got the big wild momma thing going. Kids are a lot smarter than we're giving credit here, and I really don't think anyone in the order would scare the kid.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 9th, 2003, 06:17:53 AM
if I have it right and Jax is that creepy kid from Sixth Sense, he might worry US.

And no,we dont see dead people here kid.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 9th, 2003, 09:45:26 AM
Originally posted by Jax Ivanrue Tondry
I don't see Evenstar being good with kids, really. :mneh Patience would be required. ;)

Ok well I'll put this idea on hold then.

Weeeelll like I said I would chip in Dasq if needed.

Do think Ryla would be a good choice tho.

James Prent
Jun 9th, 2003, 01:22:35 PM
Well...either or. :) Someone make a decision for me! ^_^;

And yeah, that's the kid from the 6th sense...he's a little too old for a 3 yr old, but you get the idea. Plus, he'll grow into his avatar. ;)

Sage Hazzard
Jun 10th, 2003, 12:49:46 AM
Haley Joel Osment is a fantastic actor. :)

I say yes, if the teacher is patient enough. :)

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 10th, 2003, 10:56:30 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
And no,we dont see dead people here kid.

That isn't comlpletly true. Chaos Alexander can hear them and 'see' them in his head.

James Prent
Jun 11th, 2003, 02:07:22 AM
Well? Pierce is it you? Or is it to be someone else?

:)

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 11th, 2003, 04:29:03 AM
Hey, I wont rip his arms off... I like Jax!

:mad

If I got to teach him, least this time I wont need to change nappies.

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 11th, 2003, 08:40:55 PM
^_^; Sometimes I have accidents... :cry

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:58:44 PM
Jen-jen, what ever gave you the idea that Ryla was patient? :D

But seriously, I'd train him. No problem, if y'all are keen for it.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:13:08 PM
Even though I think Jax would still learn things from Pierce regardless, I like the idea of Ryla officially tutoring Jax. Since she's willing to go for it, I say rock on Baby Blue.

Helenias: You have another Tondry to finish teaching, young lady. Don't make me get my whip!

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 12th, 2003, 12:52:22 AM
:crack hooray!

Kelt Simoson
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:29:45 AM
Ah no, now we have hell to pay..:D

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 12th, 2003, 10:29:28 PM
What, from me or from him? :D

Pierce Tondry
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:33:42 PM
*Stands tall and glowers down at Kelt.*

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 14th, 2003, 05:24:03 PM
*hides behind big strong Daddy* :mneh

Ryla, and Pierce, if you want, I think the Birthday Boy thread in the LQ would be a great place for Ryla and Jax to get accquainted. She could come to his little 'party' and he could get to know her a bit.

Thoughts? Any at all?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:16:54 PM
Man, I need to get hit by a de-aging ray like in all those cartoons so I can be trained by Ryla.

Hawt blue mamma!

Jax: eggselent idea.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:44:08 AM
one day there is going to be a meeting between Jax and Aliandra. Ickle Jedi and Sith collide!

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:55:29 AM
Can Katina come to? :D

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 15th, 2003, 11:11:45 AM
sure :lol ze more the merrier!

When little force users attack :D

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:33:15 PM
My mommy can beat up their mommies. :smokin

Pierce Tondry
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:00:28 PM
Little one, the Tondry genes bred true. You're three, and you've already getting the ladies.

Our three families should all have a picnic RP. :p

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2003, 09:04:38 AM
that would be a really odd picnic o_O

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:02:11 AM
Baby Blue? Hawt blue mamma? I had no idea that she had such an effect on people.

*Bats eyes innocently*

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:17:57 AM
*huggles Ryla's leg* :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:38:41 AM
Hump her leg and I'm panning you kid x_x

James Prent
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:22:31 PM
:huh What are ya talkin' about??

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 18th, 2003, 04:07:19 PM
"If he hugs ya, it means he likes ya!"

Pierce Tondry
Jun 18th, 2003, 06:38:43 PM
Pan my boy, Marcus, and I'll shoot your head off by sticking my rifle up your butt and pulling the trigger. :p

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 18th, 2003, 06:44:29 PM
My Dad is cool! :D

I wanna be just like him. :smokin

Pierce Tondry
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:26:34 PM
*Takes the cigarette out of Jax's mouth.* No smoking unless you're set on fire, kiddo.

Ryla: If you could post to the link below, it'd be great. I left you an easy hook into the story in my last post.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=546212#post546212

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:38:09 PM
:(

!

:eek I'm on fire! I'm on fire! *runs around screaming*