PDA

View Full Version : Rough Draft: GJO Board FAQ

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:49:28 PM
Editors Note: Please read thoroughly, and note suggestions and or potential changes in this thread. I have attached the original notepad .txt file I used if you desire to edit in that manner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are new member to this board, we would like to welcome you to the GJO community. We feel it is important to take the time to get to know our new members and make sure that they are familiar with the the manner in which the community operates. If you are an existing member, we hope you will find this a useful reference tool.

The following contains information that will address many basic questions you may have, as well as provide links to other useful references and information necessary to contact the board staff for further information. This FAQ will be updated as new rules are enacted or important changes are made. In most cases, this will be noted in an annoucement-style post, visible in each forum of the GJO board. In the event of such an announcement, the FAQ can be consulted for further information.

It is strongly recommended that you examine the official SWFans.Net (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22) FAQ section. It will provide solid background information relevent to the workings of this board, and the roleplaying system used by our group and the other groups associated with the SWFans.Net community. There are many acronyms and colloquial phrases that are used commonly amongst board members that will make more sense if these FAQs are read before proceeding further. This FAQ is written with the expectation that the reader will have attained the appropriate level of knowledge.

Note: Please report mistakes/errors in or potential additions to the FAQ to the board staff.

-----

Q: What is the 'GJO'?
A: GJO stands for the "Greater Jedi Order." We are a Star Wars based roleplaying group associated with SWFans.Net (http://www.swforums.net), a larger Star Wars roleplaying community.

Q: Where can I find out more about the kind of roleplaying in which this group participates?
A: Most of the basic information on our roleplaying style can be found in the SWFans.Net (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22) FAQ section. Detailed questions or problems with this style are typically discussed amongst fellow roleplay participants and, if needed, addressed to the staffs of the GJO or SWFans.Net. If in doubt, please do not hesitate to ask. It is far easier and less stressful for all involved parties to ask a question before acting, rather than making a post of questionable content and having to deal with potential problems it may cause.

Q: So, what exactly is the GJO all about?
A: The GJO is the largest Jedi roleplaying group in the SWFans.Net community. It's beginnings date back to when the larger community was first formed in 1999. Although it has gone through changes over the years, the main premise of the group has remained the same: to provide a place in which roleplayers of similar interests can gather, write stories, interact with one another, and in general, have fun doing something that that we all enjoy. While our group is based upon Star Wars and specifically, the concept of the Jedi Knights, many of our members incorporate ideas from other sources, including but not limited to, popular film, video games, anime, books, music, various science fiction and fantasy sources, and original content. As long as an idea for a character fits within the context of being a Jedi, you may vary your character to suit your own tastes.

Q: What kinds of posting rules do you have on your board
A: Follow the posting rules and protocols outlined in the SWFans.Net (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=22) FAQ section, and you should be fine. In essense, just use common sense... be polite, and please keep you posts in good taste. Our members vary greatly in age and background. Keep in mind that many board users may be minors. Make your topic titles descriptive and relative to the content of the actual post. Keep IC and OOC topics in their approriate forums. If you mistakenly post to an incorrect forum or an incorrect thread, please contact a staff member to move the thread/post to an appropriate location. Avoid posting offensive and lewd remarks aimed at another board user or group of people. Such remarks will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Failure to follow board rules may result in you being banned, temporarily or permenantly, from the GJO board.

Q: How do I join the GJO?
A: If you are interested in joining our group, there are a couple of options open to you.
The most common is to post an in-character (IC) request in the Recruitment Center (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58) forum. Your character must express interest in learning the ways of the Jedi. An existing member will typically respond shortly, and the initiation process will begin.
Another option is to establish your character account, and initiate an RP in which an existing GJO member will "discover" your character, and recruit him/her to become Jedi initiate. This option requires some out of character (OOC) organization on your part, but is the prefered recruitment method by some because it can add to the depth and realism of a character's introduction to the Jedi and the Force.
In each option, you are, in essence, roleplaying your character's entry into the group. Out of character questions or discussions about joining the group should be confined to the Arcan IV Trading Base (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66) forum.

Q: Are there other groups that are part of the SWFans.Net community?
A: Absolutely. There are groups associated with many of the different parts of the Star Wars universe, including Sith, Imperials, Rebellion/Republic, Dark Jedi, trade consortiums, smuggling rings, bounty hunters, as well as a myriad of original groups and alien races. The best way to find out more information about these groups is to ask around, or peruse the various parts of the main SWFans.Net board. Chances are, you'll find your way rather quickly, and be well on your way to finding out what you wish to know.

Q: Can I be a member of more than one of these groups?
A: Yes and no. In most cases, and as is the rule within GJO, a character must be loyal to a particular group. Example: A Jedi character cannot also hold membership within group opposed to the ideals of the Jedi, such as the Sith, the Dark Jedi, factions of the Empire, etc. The exception to the rule is that a character may be involved in multiple groups have been known to traditionally align with the Star Wars universe. Eg. A Sith may also be involved in a faction of the Empire, a Jedi may associate with the New Republic. If in doubt on such alignments, please inquire with other roleplayers or various board staff members.
However, while a particular character is subject to these rules, this does not mean that you cannot participate in roleplay with multiple characters. Many people whom RP within the SWFans.Net community have more than one character... some have a dozen or more... each associated with different groups. This is perfectly acceptable... with the following EXTREMELY IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION...

Q: But, if I have more than one character in more than one group, doesn't that mean I might be privy to information that a group might wish to keep secret from members of other groups.
A: Yes, it does. This is the EXTREMELY IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION that must be clearly understood. You MUST keep your IC and OOC knowledge seperate. IE, simply because one of your characters knows something does not mean that all of characters know. Example: If your Jedi character learns a secret Force move from a Jedi Master, you can not automatically use this same type of move with your Sith character. This is a form of cheating, and is completely unacceptable.

For more information on playing multiple characters, please see the SWFans.Net Roleplay FAQ (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52).

Q: Okay, so I've created my character, and I've posted in the Recruitment forum. Now what?
A: Once your recruitment thread is finished, your character becomes a 'Jedi Initiate.' He/She is a member of the GJO, and can begin the path to becoming a full Jedi. Your character's training will involve taking several IC classes covering subjects necessary to becoming a Jedi, such as basic Force usage, hand-to-hand and lightsaber combat, diplomacy and survival skills. These courses are taught by senior members of the Order. There is also an OOC Roleplay Writing class that is available if you find the need to hone your writing abilities. As your posts will define your character's actions and personality, it is important to develop a clear and comprehensible writing style. (Additional help in this area can be found amongst the experienced members of the board. All you need to do is ask.)

Q: What happens when I'm done with the classes?
A: Once your character has completed these courses, he/she will be ready to become an apprentice to a master or knight, also known as becoming a Padawan. Masters and knights are not assigned padawans, nor vice versa. A master/knight will choose to whom he/she will offer an apprenticeship. It is then up to the padawan to accept or decline the offer. As a padawan, your character's training will continue under the tutilege of this experienced Jedi, learning new skills and going on quests to broaden your horizons. Each knight or master will have his/her own teaching style, and areas upon which he/she will focus more than others... some instructors will spend a lot of time on combat skills, while others may elect to focus on mental skills of telekinesis and telepathy, or healing skills, or diplomacy. Depending upon how you want to develop your character, you may wish seek a teacher that is skilled in the areas you wish to learn. Eventually, when your master decides you are ready, he/she will make a request to the Jedi Council that your character be promoted. The Council will then examine your characters accomplishments, and vote on the promotion request. If the promotion passes, your character will be Knighted.

Q: As an initiate or padawan, am I required to remain confined to the RP forums of the GJO, or can I post in the Roleplaying and Storytelling forums on the SWFans.net board as well?
A: Once you create your character, you are free to post in any of the available RP forums you wish. Your formal classwork and much of your training with take place in the GJO forums, but you may certainly post open or closed RPs, or storytelling threads, involving your character on the main board.

Q: How long does it usually take to earn a promotion to Jedi Knight?
A: There is no set time frame. How quickly your character becomes a Knight is very much dependent upon how actively you RP with your character and when your master decides that you are ready for promotion. Typically, however, a minimum timeframe of 3 months from acceptance into the Order until potential promotion to Knight will be observed. Being involved in the group for 3 months does not guarentee a promotion. Some characters remain padawans for a year or more, because they simply are not ready to be promoted.

Q: If I feel my character is ready to be promoted, can I make the request myself?
A: No. Under no circumstances may a character request promotion for themselves. The request must be made by your character's master, or in the case of said master being absent, by a Council Member or another master that is willing to vouch for your character.

Q: What happens once I become a Jedi Knight?
A: Once your character is Knighted, he/she is no longer apprenticed to another Jedi. Your character may now become a teacher, being a master to padawans, and take other roles within the Order. You'll be able to grow and develop your character as you see fit, as long as it keeps with the conventions of the SWFans.net RP realm.

Q: How can I become a Jedi Master?
A: Becoming a Jedi Master is a difficult task, for even the most dedicated Jedi. Many try and never succeed. There is no list of requirements, no training regimen to follow, no specific path or journey to undertake. The rank of Jedi Master is bestowed upon those who have exceeded expectation and have earned the respect and admiration of their fellow Jedi. It is a subjective process, one that undertaken by the Jedi Elders and current Jedi Masters when they believe a person may be worthy of the honor. If deemed worthy, the person is subjected to a trial... a task or test that is meant to push the candidate beyond his/her limits. If the candidate succeeds in the eyes of the Elders, he/she is acknowledged as a true Jedi Master, and welcomed into a very select circle of people to have earned the title.

Q: What is the Jedi Council that I've seen mentioned?
A: The Jedi Council is the IC governing body of the GJO. They make the important IC decisions regarding promotions, the Jedi Code, assignment of missions/tasks, and serve as a consulting group for other Jedi looking for advice or counseling. This body is elected by the GJO membership every 4 months.

Q: How can I get elected to the Council?
A: Jedi holding the rank of Knight or higher are eligible for election, although a candidate must have held the rank of Knight for at least 4 months prior to an election. Council candidates must first be nominated by other members of the Order. Once nominated, a person must accept or decline the nomination. Nominees whom accept have their names place on the candidate list. Once the election begins, each GJO member casts a ballot containing the names of those who he/she feels should serve on the Council. The votes are tallied when the election closes, and those Jedi with the most votes become the Jedi Council for the new term. Detailed rules on council voting are posted each time there is an election.

Q: What about those Jedi Elder people? Who are they?
A: The Jedi Elders are those Jedi who have been with the Order for many years, most of whom were among those that helped to found GJO. The title of Jedi Elder is not a rank like Knight or Master, nor is it one of governing authority like Council Member. While it is a title of respect more than anything, the Elders are often sought for advice by other members of the order, as their experience is unmatched.

Q: Ugh... so many ranks and positions... can you sumarize all of it?
A: Initiate: The first Jedi rank... Initiates are those that have been accepted into the Order.
Padawan: The second Jedi rank... Padawans are those that have completed the initial classwork, and are apprenticed to another Jedi.
Knight: The third Jedi rank... Knighthood is only granted by the Jedi Council at the request of the Jedi's teacher.
Master: The final Jedi rank... difficult to achieve and only when others decide a Jedi is ready to be tested.

Jedi Council: The governing body of GJO, elected by the group membership.
Jedi Elder: Experienced founding members of the Order.

Q: Is a person's post count associated with ranks or positions of authority?
A: No. A person's post count has no effect on status at GJO in any way. By spending time on the GJO board, you will find that the group is very much centered on the concept of "quality over quantity." A well-crafted, thoughtful post is of far greater value than many posts made in haste. Users found making rapid succession posts, IC or OOC, for the sole purpose of raising post count, will have their post counts reset to zero and may be banned, per the judgement of the board staff.

Q: Who is responsible for the daily operation of the GJO board?
A: The GJO staff handles all administrative duties and OOC matters relevent to the board.

Q: What is the GJO staff, and how is it different from the Jedi Council?
A: The GJO staff consists of members who have been involved with the GJO for many years and have helped to maintain and develop it into the successful RP group that it is today. The staff is strictly an OOC body, and has no direct influence over the Jedi Council. Conversely, the Jedi Council is strictly an IC governing body, and does not affect or influence the board staff. While some people happen to serve on both the Council and on the board staff, the two groups function independently of one another.

Q: Who are the members of the GJO staff, and how can I contact them?
A: The staff can be contacted through the Private Messenging system, through email addresses or instant messenging screen names published within their personal profiles, or by posting a specific request in the OOC Arcan IV Trading Base (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66) forum.

The GJO Board Staff

AmazonBabe (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=119)
Figrin D'an (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=265)
Marcus Elessar (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=29)
Master Yoghurt (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=3)
Morgan Evanar (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=21)
Navaria Tarkin (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=490)
Ryla Relvinian (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=633)
SWFans.Net (http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1)

Q: All of this RP stuff sounds really neat, but what if I want to post about other things? Is there somewhere I can do this?
A: Absolutely. We welcome a wide variety of topics, but we ask that they be confined to the Arcan IV Trading Base (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66) forum. This is the GJO OOC forum, and can be used for general discussion, planning of RP storylines, addressing problems or requests to the board staff, and a wide variety of fun subjects. Feel free to look around, get involved in current topics and get to know the board regulars. Just keep things civil, keep any foul language in check, avoid making comments that are intended to flame other users, and don't post excessive amounts of spam. Users found violating any of these policies may be subjected to temporary or permenant banning, at the discretion of the board staff.

Q: I'm an experienced roleplayer from another online community. I have a character at that community that I would like to use here as well. Can I transfer my character, with his/her current level of development and experience, into your group?
A: As a general rule, no. This a is SWFans.Net boardwide policy that is more-or-less policed by the members of the community. While we respect the time and effort put into developing a character at another online community, we have found that it is rather unfair to allow a prospective new RP participant to transfer in a pre-existing character when others have had to start theirs from scratch, building their stories and abilities over time. We have also found that certain incompatabilities between transplanted characters and our RP realm can crop up, due to differences in timeline and various groups and plotlines of that of the SWFans.Net RP realm and that of other communities.

If you wish to use the same character name and develop the character in the same general manner in which your pre-existing character was developed elsewhere, you are free to do so. However, you must build your character anew and make sure that it fits into the context of the SWFans.Net RP realm.

Q: If I have any general questions about the board or RP in general, where should I post them?
A: The Roleplaying Helpdesk (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67) forum is available for all such questions, and is a good place to go if you are looking for help on a personal signature or avatar.

Q: Can you give me a general run-down of each of the forums, and what they are for?
A: Temple Avalon: The private IC meeting hall for the membership of the GJO. The Jedi Council holds session here, and is open to RP interaction between members of the Order.
Official Oratory Chamber: The OOC subforum within the Temple Avalon. RP planning, internal Jedi matters, and off-color ranting is allowed here.
The Academy: The primary instruction halls for the Jedi. Here you will take classes, train with masters, spar with fellow Jedi and hone your skills in the Force, all in a safe and private environment.
Recuitment Center: The place at which your journey as a Jedi and a GJO member will begin.
GJO Grounds: Includes the living quarters wing, the record archives, and all other facilities not included in the Temple or the Academy... here, you can set up your own room, study, relax, and interact with fellow Jedi. A good place to have deep discussions about the nature of the Force and develop your characters interpersonal skills.
New Republic - Home One: A link to the New Republic board, the galactic governing body and military force with which the GJO are allies.
Biographies: A forum to post personal biographies of your character(s), and record your accomplishments and journeys.
Master Yoghurt's Bar & Grill: On a sidestreet on Coruscant, not far from the Jedi Temple, sits the famous Bar & Grill. It is a place run by the Jedi for the Jedi, but is also open to the public. Strictly IC, you can chat with patrons, order your favorite dishes, or just relax with a drink and your thoughts. Enemies have been known to stop by from time to time, so stay on your toes. For more information, see the Bar & Grill rules, included later in this document.
Arcan IV Trading Base: A planet far from the galactic core, protected by the New Republic Special Forces and the GJO. Both IC and OOC posts are welcome here, but please read the Arcan IV Trading Base rules included later in this document.
Roleplaying Helpdesk: A forum for questions or problems regarding RP, or for those looking for help with signatures and avatars.

Q: Is a person's post count associated with ranks or positions of authority?
A: No. A person's post count has no effect on status at GJO in any way. By spending time on the GJO board, you will find that the group is very much centered on the concept of "quality over quantity." A well-crafted, thoughtful post is of far greater value than many posts made in haste. Users found making rapid succession posts, IC or OOC, for the sole purpose of raising post count, will have their post counts reset to zero and may be banned, per the judgement of the board staff.

Q: I'm not a member of GJO. Can I post anywhere besides the three "General" forums? (Bar & Grill, Arcan IV, Roleplay Helpdesk)?
A: All the forums listed in the "Jedi Only" section are exactly that... Jedi only. There are two specific exceptions to this rule, however.
1) A non-member seeking membership into GJO may post in the Recruitment Center Forum.
2) A non-member may get permission from a GJO administrator to participate in RP threads in the Academy or GJO Grounds forums.

Any non-member found posting a "Jedi Only" forum, who does not fall under one of these exceptions, will have any post(s) deleted and may be subjected to further disciplinary action, per the judgement of the GJO staff.

Q: What other roleplaying advice can you offer?
A: The following is by no means a complete list, but contains some general truths and useful facts and tips that can help you along the road to successful roleplaying here at GJO and at SWFans.Net.

- Spend some time thinking about what direction you want to take your character. If necessary, scribble some ideas on a notepad and organize them before you decide to dive into the RP mix. People will be more inclined to RP with you if you have a character that appears complex and has some potential depth, rather than being random and aimless.

- Lurk before you start to RP. Read some existing stories. Learn about some of the characters with whom you may want to interact. If you are interested in becoming a Jedi, read some of the existing threads in the Recruitement and Academy forums. It will help to give you a good feel for the RP environment, and give you some ideas on how to get your character started.

- Patience is a virtue, for both a perspective Jedi, and for you as a member of the RP community. Sometimes, topics and RPs to which you post may progress more slowly than you anticipate. Being a globally accessed community, not all of our members are online at the same time and have vastly different daily schedules from one another. At times, those personal schedules mean a person must temporarily cut back on the amount of posting he/she does. It is important to remember that behind each screen-name is an actual person with a life outside of this community. Time conflicts are inevitable. An impatient attitude will only cause undo stress for yourself, and likely be a significant turn-off to those with whom you would like to RP. Please be patient, and keep an open line of communication to those with whom you RP if possible, and most issues will resolve themselves.

- As a general rule, we strongly discourage members from roleplaying as pre-existing characters within the Star Wars universe (eg. Darth Vader, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc.). Since they are well established in source material, with very distinct personalities, such characters can be difficult to realistically develop and fit into this RP realm. In some instances, roleplayers like to use such characters as NPCs (non-player characters), as the can provide a point of reference by which to tie their own character into the Star Wars universe. Thus, actively roleplaying as such characters can be rather difficult and awkward, because of their fame. Exceptions have been made in the past, and can be granted under special circumstances. All such circumstances require the approval of the board staff. It has been our experience, however, that creating an entirely unique character with unique traits and a unique personality is far more intriguing and fun.

- With any character, realism is a key component to success. It is highly unlikely that a Jedi initiate is going to be able to use the Force to lift a 1000 lb. rock on the first day of his/her training, or be able to match lightsaber skills with a Jedi Master. You must build your character's abilities over time, roleplaying the learning and improving of such techniques. You will find that realistically constructed characters will be much better received by your roleplaying peers, as well as much more interesting to develop and grow. No one character is an expert at everything. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, areas in which they excel and others in which they falter. Keep this in mind when creating your character.

- Be careful about exactly what and how much you "borrow" from trademarked and copywrited sources. Most people around the boards have borrowed a few things for their characters from such sources, such as names, mannerisms, personality traits, or general apperance. Some borrowing can be defended under the concept of "fair usage" and giving a nod of admiration to the source material author for something of which you are a fan. However, borrowing too much from any given source steps beyond the boundries of these ideas, and amounts to a form of plagerism. Charges of plagerism are taken very seriously by the board staff, and those found violating copywrite in this manner will be dealt with harshly. In general, applying common sense will help you avoid problems, but specific questions can be directed to the board staff.

- You will find that each person with whom you RP will have a unique writing style. This adds to the fun factor, as no two people may describe a given situation in quite the same way. However, you will find that the best writers within the community still follow general conventions of spelling, grammar and punctuation. The only way to communicate what your character experiences or feels is through words. To ensure that your message is being clearly understood by others, good writing practices are a necessity.

- Become familiar with the primary source material (ie. Star Wars.) Watch the films if you haven't seen them in a while. Try reading some of the EU books. Check out the many reference books on Star Wars material that have been published. If you have questions on something specific, don't be afraid to ask. No matter how obscure or fleeting, chances are that someone on the boards will be able to answer your question. Remember... a lot of us have been around for a long time, and have talked about and overanalyzed Star Wars for years. There's a good chance we've dealt with your very question in the past.

- Above all else, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the common questions can be answered by reading the various FAQs that are available on the board system. But sometimes, you might encountered something strange or confusing that needs to be addressed. Feel free to ask the board staff for help, or approach a more experienced RPer for tips or advice. We're here because we have a lot of fun roleplaying, and we want your experiences to be as entertaining and enjoyable as ours have been.

Master Yoghurts Bar & Grill (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=65) Forum Rules

- The Bar and Grill is strictly an IC forum. No exceptions.

- As a general rule, there is no fighting in the Bar & Grill without prior approval from a GJO administrator. There are execptions to this rule, however, and the Jedi or the NRSF (New Republic Special Forces) reserve the right of reply if a fight is started. NPCing of the NRSF is restricted to NRSF or GJO members. If you are a non-Jedi/non NRSF character, and are looking to begin a battle thread in the Bar & Grill, you must seek GJO administrator approval before doing so.

- NO WEAPONS ALLOWED. Only Jedi and NRSF characters are allowed to carry weapons inside the Bar & Grill. All others must check their weapons at the door. Sneaking weapons past the security system is highly unlikely. The board staff reserves the right of reply and/or deletion on this matter.

- The Bar & Grill is owned and operated by the Jedi - remember that. Any dispute is likely to end in favor of the Jedi. Once an Admin makes a ruling, it is final. Any threads containing disputes will be closed.

- Have fun. The Bar is for entertainment and relaxation, and is considered a safe haven unless otherwise indicated by a board administrator.

Arcan IV Trading Base (http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66) Forum Rules

- The Trading Base is generally an OOC forum, but some IC threads, specific to the site of Arcan IV, are permitted.

- While fun and off-color topics are permitted in the Trading Base forum, please keep spam limited to a reasonable amount. Users found replying for the sole purpose of raising post counts (ie. single word/smiley replies, responding to every thread in the forum or every post in a thread, etc.) will have their post counts reset to zero and may be subject to banning, at the discretion of the GJO staff.

- No flaming or trolling. Users found in violation will be banned.

- Once an administrator makes an annoucement or decision regarding a questionable thread, the discussion is over. Period. Users who persist on the same subject matter will be warned or banned.

- Relax and have fun. People tend to let their hair down in this forum, so go with the flow and you'll fit in just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributing Authors:
Figrin D'an
Marcus Elessar
Morgan Evanar
SWFans.Net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:51:47 PM
Here's the text file.

Please note, as well, that I wrote the FAQ under the assumption that the new Jedi Initiate introductory class-taking system that Sage proposed will indeed be enacted.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:53:29 PM
Shit. Good work. I cant really see much wrong with that.

Figrin D'an
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:30:55 AM
lol... thanks. :)

But, anything, no matter how small or minor that might be improved upon or corrected, let me know. It'll never be perfect, but I'd like to think we can get it pretty darn close. ;)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:57:41 AM
I sort of feel that we're encouraging too much " in the box" stuff. Maybe hint that the best way to get recruited is to establish a character and then be "discovered."

If I had to do it all over again, I'd much prefer that, just because it seems more realistic.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:53:42 PM
I haven't taken the time to give it a good going over yet, but once I have I'll edit in more comprehensive comments/criticism here.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:58:47 PM
I made some small corrections (added a question mark or two that was missing and provided consistent URLs to the site since www.sw-fans.net was listed once but all links were to swforums.net) and then converted it to HTML for ease of navigation and such.

The page can be found here

http://sw-fans.net/gjo_faq.html

Morgan Evanar
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:28:29 PM
A: If you are interested in joining our group, you must post an in-character (IC) request in the Jedi Recruitment Center forum. Your character must express interest in learning the ways of the Jedi. An existing member will typically respond shortly, and the initiation process will begin. In essence, you must roleplay your character's entry into the group. Out of character (OOC) questions or discussions about joining the group should be confined to the Arcan IV Trading Base forum. I don't really like this at all.

There are really two ways to become a Jedi. The most obvious, and straightforward is to post at the recruitment center. The other way is to be discovered by another Jedi in an RP.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:50:15 PM
um

- As a general rule, pre-existing characters within the Star Wars universe (eg. Darth Vader, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc.) cannot be actively played. In certain instances, they can be portrayed as NPCs (non-player characters), or mentioned in passing as points of reference. Since they are well established in source material, with very distinct personalities, such characters are considered "hands-off" for active character development. You will find that creating an entirely unique character with unique traits and a unique personality will be far more intriguing and fun.

sometimes we have a Luke running around and I play Mara Jade .. like thee mara jade .. =\ Have so since ezfrell ... so isnt that bad :lol

As a whole I do like tho but I want that clarified for my own benefit

Figrin D'an
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:51:23 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I made some small corrections (added a question mark or two that was missing and provided consistent URLs to the site since www.sw-fans.net was listed once but all links were to swforums.net) and then converted it to HTML for ease of navigation and such.

The page can be found here

I didn't expect you to go through all that trouble, but thanks, it looks great. I realized after I had posted it that I goofed on some of the links. Oh well. I figured someone would notice. :)

Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I don't really like this at all.

There are really two ways to become a Jedi. The most obvious, and straightforward is to post at the recruitment center. The other way is to be discovered by another Jedi in an RP.

Could you be more specific? We can add in the "discovered" variation, like you mentioned, as a viable recruitment option. Other than that, what's there is pretty typical of how a recruitment goes... someone posts in the Recruitment Center, people reply, eventually they start RPing as a learner. Perhaps it's a semantics issue that can be changed to make it more clear.

Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin
sometimes we have a Luke running around and I play Mara Jade .. like thee mara jade .. =\ Have so since ezfrell ... so isnt that bad

As a whole I do like tho but I want that clarified for my own benefit

This is true. At times in the past, we've had as many as 3 people simultaneously (I believe) taking account names of various forms of the name "Luke Skywalker" and all claiming to be THE original trilogy character. That's the main thing that needs to be avoided. The last thing we need is 20 Vaders walking around or something. (I know... it hasn't happened yet, but you never know...). The other thing to keep in mind here is that this is only specific to GJO, unless it's otherwise noted to be an SWFans board-wide policy. Your Mara Jade character isn't in GJO, so it's not like there'd be a big issue.

Or, we can just change "cannot" to "strongly discouraged."

Again... just to avoid a whole bunch of Anakin clones, etc, from poping up.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:27:12 PM
Fig - True she isn't there but I could be pointed out as a hey look, that person can be Mara why can't I do what I want to do... kinda thing. I just wanted to avoid that sorta problem.

Strong discouraged and perhaps PMing the staff if you really want to play that kinda character perhaps? That way something could be worked out on those odds occasions. Thankfully, it hasnt happened recently.

Figrin D'an
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:30:56 PM
Fig - True she isn't there but I could be pointed out as a hey look, that person can be Mara why can't I do what I want to do... kinda thing. I just wanted to avoid that sorta problem.

Strong discouraged and perhaps PMing the staff if you really want to play that kinda character perhaps? That way something could be worked out on those odds occasions. Thankfully, it hasnt happened recently.

That's fine... we can rewrite it to fit those parameters. I'll do some wordsmithing and develop something that is a bit more flexible.

Other comments, anyone? On... well, anything? Other than Morg's recruitment suggestion and Nav's pre-existing character suggestion, I haven't gotten any suggestions via PM or anything. I would like everyone on the staff here to read through this thing, so if you haven't yet... hop to it! :p

Morgan Evanar
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:34:51 PM
I'll read it when I'm more lucid tommorow.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:52:57 PM
It might be good to run it by the members in Avalon for their opinions too. A wider variety of opinions would be helpful in making it complete and accurate.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:48:15 PM
Ok, a few comments and suggestions:

in the "Q: What happens when I'm done with the classes?" response, perhaps there should also be something regarding how there is no standardized way to train a padawan, and that each knight or master approaches this training time with a slightly different viewpoint. It's widely known around here that some knights or masters focus more on fighting, or diplomacy training, or force powers... and it works the best when your character and your master have the same interests. (i.e. don't choose a warrior master if you have a peaceful character.)

You'll also want to change the "Living Quarters" to the grounds or whatever... as discussed in the other thread. :) (which is a great idea, btw)

Perhaps an initial definition of key terms (flaming, trolling, spam, infiltration,) and acronyms (OOC, IC, GJO, NRSF) even though they seem fairly self-evident, mamma always said it's better to have a CYA than a SNAFU.

Another RP tip: The best way to succeed in this group is through patience. It can be very, very intimidating to be a new person to SW, or to RP in general and feel left out, but honestly, a patient character will get you so much further than an impatient attitude. (Or something like that?)

And some sort of a comment on the character creation guidelines: Rules are there for the benefit of all involved, and if you want to break them (i.e. bringing in a non-star wars related civilization) it better be damn good (sejah anyone?) or justified. :)

This looks really nice so far.

Figrin D'an
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:02:47 PM
I've update the FAQ post with many of the suggested changes:

- Added Morg's "RP discovery" recruitment method.

- Revamped RP suggestion about pre-established Star Wars characters, per Nav's suggestions.

- Added information about choosing appropriate teachers under which to apprentice, per Ryla's suggestion.

- Changed "Living Quarters" to "Jedi Grounds" and changed description to match, and altered other forum titles to match titles on GJO main board page.

- Added Ryla's RP tip regarding patience.

I chose not to add the definitions of key terms, because all of that is covered in the main board FAQ section, and we have the big disclaimer at the beginning say that people should read the main board FAQ section first, for which that is one of the reasons. So, I think we should be covered there.

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:18:29 PM
Cool. :)

I see your point about not adding a definition list, but you know the type we get around here sometimes... Better to be redundant, neh?

Figrin D'an
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:41:37 PM
yeah, maybe... but, if we got rid of all of the stupidity with the FAQ, Mark and Morg might get bored. ;)

I guess it's something to consider. Maybe we'll poll people and see what they think.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:58:51 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
yeah, maybe... but, if we got rid of all of the stupidity with the FAQ, Mark and Morg might get bored. ;)

Somehow, I think there will always be idiots to smite.

Unfortunantly

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 18th, 2003, 01:04:14 AM
Hmm. Another good band name: Smite-able Idiots.

But seriously, you are all right. The FAQ looks really good, and the way it's layed out makes it easy to access for tha n00bs. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:21:46 AM

...has been updated to reflect the changes made (I think I got them all).

Morgan Evanar
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:23:02 AM
Bored? You mean, I can think of plotlines instead of slaying?

Shit, Mark, you get that memo?

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:12:28 PM
Hmmm... I'm not seeing the changes showing up on the linked FAQ page. Strange... I thought they were there at one point. O_o

Once that's taken care of, and if there are no other change suggestions, I'd like to post the link in Avalon OOC and ask for volunteer proof-readers. We can leave it up for a couple of weeks for people to read over, then finalize it.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:43:51 PM
Heh ^_^; I had uploaded with the wrong file extension. It should be all fixed now, and include the updates.

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:09:35 PM
Okay... that's cool, no problem. :) I can see the changes now, everything looks good.

Shawn
Jun 29th, 2003, 04:36:40 PM
Suggestion: Add some bright colors to the extra important parts. Most people won't read the whole thing and will only skim, so you might want to draw attention to things that can get them banned and the like.

Figrin D'an
Jun 30th, 2003, 01:53:31 AM
Good idea... make sure that the most important parts get read. I'll sort through it and note some items that should stand out. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 30th, 2003, 07:18:42 AM
I like the idea too, and that sounds like a good plan Fig.

Figrin D'an
Jul 9th, 2003, 11:57:18 PM
Made a few changes to the FAQ post:

Spelling correction -
"Q: As an iniate or padawan, am I required to remain confined to the RP forums of the GJO, or can I post in the Roleplaying and Storytelling forums on the SWFans.net board as well?"

Corrected mispelling of 'initiate.'

Word change:
"Q: All of this RP stuff sounds really neat, but what if I want to post about other things? Is there someplace I can do this?

Changed 'someplace' to 'somewhere.'

Added question/answer:
"Q: Is a person's post count associated with ranks or positions of authority?
A: No. A person's post count has no effect on status at GJO in any way. By spending time on the GJO board, you will find that the group is very much centered on the concept of "quality over quantity." A well-crafted, thoughtful post is of far greater value than many posts made in haste. Users found making rapid succession posts, IC or OOC, for the sole purpose of raising post count, will have their post counts reset to zero and may be banned, per the judgement of the board staff."

Added question/answer:
"Q: I'm not a member of GJO. Can I post anywhere besides the three "General" forums? (Bar & Grill, Arcan IV, Roleplay Helpdesk)?
A: All the forums listed in the "Jedi Only" section are exactly that... Jedi only. There are two specific exceptions to this rule, however.
1) A non-member seeking membership into GJO may post in the Recruitment Center Forum.
2) A non-member may get permission from a GJO administrator to participate in RP threads in the Academy or GJO Grounds forums.

Any non-member found posting a "Jedi Only" forum, who does not fall under one of these exceptions, will have any post(s) deleted and may be subjected to further disciplinary action, per the judgement of the GJO staff."

Will make another update post with sections that are to be highlighted.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:35:52 AM
Web Page updated. :)

Figrin D'an
Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:17:44 PM
I highlighted a few items in the FAQ post, per Shawn's suggestion (in bold text). For the webpage itself, we should probably choose a particular color scheme that would successfully draw attention to those items, rather than just leave them in bold text alone. We'll just have to experiment to see what will work well.

The suggestion thread I made in Avalon has trailed off, so we can probably finalize and make this official as soon as the final changes are made. I noticed a couple of additional spelling mistakes in my last reading, so I'm going to scrutinize it one more time and post anything I find.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:35:38 PM
Plagiarism would be the correct spelling. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:42:44 AM
http://sw-fans.net/gjo_faq.html ...

updated with highlights and the correct spelling of plagiarism.

Figrin D'an
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:05:19 PM
That was one of the spelling mistakes I noticed. Thanks for catching it, thought, and correcting it. There are a few other mistakes I've caught:

Paragraph #1: two "the"s in succesion

Paragraph #2: annoucement -> announcement

Paragraph #3: relevent -> relevant

Question List, #19: sumarize -> summarize

Q/A Section, #4: essense -> essence, approriate -> appropriate, permenantly -> permanently

Q/A Section, #5: prefered -> preferred,

Q/A Section, #8: seperate -> separate

Q/A Section, #10: tutilege -> tutelage

Q/A Section, #11: iniate -> initiate

Q/A Section, #12: guarentee -> guarantee

Q/A Section, #19: sumarize -> summarize

Q/A Section, #20: relevent -> relevant

Q/A Section, #22: messenging -> messaging (I have no idea how I screwed that one up... must have been typing it out at 1AM or something. :x )

Q/A Section, #23: permenant -> permanent

Q/A Section, #24: "This a is" -> "This is a", incompatabilities -> incompatibilities

Q/A Section, #27: judgement -> judgment

Q/A Section, #28: judgement -> judgment

Q/A Section, #29: Recruitement -> Recruitment, apperance -> appearance, boundries -> boundaries, encountered -> encounter

Bar & Grill Rules: execptions -> exceptions

Arcan IV Rules: annoucement -> announcement

I'm not sure about the past tense verb of "copywrite." My grammar skills tell me it should be "copywriten," but I have seen "copywrited" used in official publications. My copy of Webster's doesn't indicate which would be correct. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this matter.

I hope I caught them all... *passes out from eye strain*

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:08:08 PM
good god man!

Someone give Fig mouth to mouth!

TheHolo.Net
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:25:21 PM
Spelling errors fixed as per Fig's outline. :)

Figrin D'an
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:12:07 PM
good god man!

Someone give Fig mouth to mouth!

Are you volunteering? ;)

Thanks for doing the update so promptly. It looks good, although having additional sets of eyes go over it may catch something we've missed.

:Poke @ mods

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:15:07 PM
Um .... no? :p

hee tho you are poking me now :mischief

TheHolo.Net
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:16:03 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Thanks for doing the update so promptly. It looks good, although having additional sets of eyes go over it may catch something we've missed.I did run it through the MS Word spellcheck too and it looked pretty good. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:28:49 PM
Ummm, like I can tell what's spelt right easily :p

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!

imported_Marcus
Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:37:02 PM
Serious mode for a sec

In the staff section, there should be a brief note explaining GJO and SW-fans are seperately run boards and what that means.

Figrin D'an
Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:47:59 PM
'k. I'll come up with something.

Figrin D'an
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:24:02 PM
Here's a start:

Q: How does the GJO staff differ from the SWFans staff?
A: Although GJO associates itself with the SWFans.net community, it is a distinct group. As such, it has it's own staff, chosen from amongst it's own ranks, to moderate and administrate. As with the Jedi Council, certain members of the GJO staff may also serve on the staff of the main board. The staffs remain seperate groups, however, and operate according to specific sets of guidelines unique to each board. In short, the rules and administrative style at GJO may differ slightly from the SWFans.net main board.

I'm not sure if that was what you had in mind.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 24th, 2003, 10:04:40 AM
Probably what he meant :)

Excuse me dumbness but there is a part of the FAQ that says you need to read the GJO and SWFANS FAQ and know the distinction or something?

Brain is fried and I am a wee too lazy right now to look :p

Figrin D'an
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:35:28 AM
Near the beginning, there is a statement which strongly recommends that the SWFans FAQ be read first, since the GJO FAQ doesn't address a lot of things that are standards on the entire SWFans board system.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:44:47 AM
cool.. I have nothing more to add then. the motion passes.

:: steps down from podium ::

Figrin D'an
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:15:12 PM
I think this entire process has gone on long enough. Let's finalize this thing.

If no one has any objections, I'm going to have Ogre update the FAQ link for GJO, and then I'll make an annoucement post drawing attention to the new FAQ.

Two minor mistakes to be corrected:

- In section discussing the staff, Morgan's last name is spelled wrong.

- Third question, "Q: So, what exactly is the GJO all about?", the second line of the answer, "It's" should be "Its".

Thank you again to those who contributed.

TheHolo.Net
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:45:11 PM
It should be all finished within the next 30 minutes or so.

I will edit this post when all changes, both to the FAQ and to the links here, are finished.

EDIT: The edits requested have been made and the "GJO FAQ" link in the forum display headers for all of the GJO forums have now been changed to link to this new FAQ version.

Figrin D'an
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:46:24 PM
Sounds good.

Thank you for all of your assistance on this. It is much appreciated. :)

TheHolo.Net
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:57:52 PM
You are welcome , and thank you for doing the bulk of the hard work on this. ;) :)

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:33:05 PM
Ooo, I thought of something else.

Would it be prudent to have some questions addressing some IC things, such as the location of the temple and such?

Just a thought.

Figrin D'an
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:40:13 PM
Perhaps we could make sticky threads in the Recruitment Center and Jedi Grounds with a big list of IC Jedi info.

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:41:40 PM
Yeah, sounds good. I mean, they're not as important as some of the other rules, but still good to know. :)

imported_Marcus
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:45:00 PM
Apart from the temple being smoewhere near the senate and the LQ somewhere clost to that with a nice peaceful garden...... is there realyl anything else?I mean, wwere mainly just making things up as we go which is fine a bit o fun. But other than the basics which most seem to pick up on real quick, what else we need? Seems most presume the temple looks like the TPM / AOTC one with similar facilities.

Figrin D'an
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:45:23 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
Yeah, sounds good. I mean, they're not as important as some of the other rules, but still good to know.

Do you want to volunteer for this project, or should I volunteer you?

;)
:p

j/k... do you want to work together on this?

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:46:50 PM
Good point, Marky mark.

...aw, why the heck not. I need something to keep me occupied.

imported_Marcus
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:56:58 PM
The Bar and Grill should be fairly close to the Temple I guess. I've always had the idea it's got steps coming up to it, it has tables and privacy booths, it has two exits (one kitchen / refreshers, the other private that goes upstairs or out the back), has a Gargoyle sitting quietly in the corner and a mad Swedish Chef attempting to cook.

Oh and a pernmantly reserved corner booth for either a bastard fo a General or a secretive unwashed tramp.

And a Other end of the Bar.

And somewhere to store the Jedi Toilet Duck for safety.

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:02:17 AM
I always pictured said drink being dished out of a latrine with an industrial ladle.

But that's just me.

Actually, I meant also the location in terms of what planet it was on, as well as other planets that house other groups. Just to save from asking, y'know.

imported_Marcus
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:37:15 AM
Well also the Jeid have a base on Yavin IV and still have some sort of links to Arcan IV. We're lsited as being controlling groups of those two planets.

Figrin D'an
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:27:41 AM
Is the Yavin system still a giant death trap for an opposing fleet? I have no idea what goes on in fleet RP anymore.

imported_Marcus
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:11:26 AM
Oh god no, that's well and truly been erased.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:36:26 AM
I'd like to add this new FAQ to the Jedi Website as well (along with other updates), but since Ogre HTML coded it, I would request his permission first, before uploading it.

TheHolo.Net
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:56:42 AM
Permission granted.

Figrin D'an
Sep 8th, 2003, 10:46:11 PM
The section in the FAQ detailing the members of the staff needs to be updated. I was think thinking we should probably indicated whom are admins and whom are mods, as well:

The GJO Board Staff

Administrators

Figrin D'an
Master Yoghurt
Morgan Evanar
Ryla Relvinian

Moderators

AmazonBabe
Dasquian Belargic
Estelle Russard
Navaria Tarkin
SWFans.Net

Something like that, anyway.

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:17:11 PM
I'm continuing to modify the FAQ as we makes changes to certain board policies and clarify rules. Eventually, should be able to provide a completely up-to-date .html file to upload.

Maybe by the end of month, we'll finally have a bunch of this stuff finished.

TheHolo.Net
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:38:32 AM
Not a problem.