PDA

View Full Version : The Roadmap: what about Jerusalem?

Dutchy
Jun 4th, 2003, 01:05:45 PM
Bush is taking both prime ministers Sharon and Abbas on the roadmap to peace, and so far things are actually looking good. Both parties have agreed on the so far drawn map. Palestinians will get their own state and Israel will withdraw from the illegal settlements. As far as the Palestinians ALL settlements are illegal, but we'll see how that works out.

But what about Jersusalem? Wasn't this always the main road block? On the current road map they haven't really put Jerusalem. Just that they'll talk about it after the first steps are taken (so in 2 years, or so). I guess this'll lead to a more stable situation, but what about a definite solution?

Why not put this big road block already on the map?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:17:04 PM
I am not too optimistic about this this is like the tenth time or something that have sat down. I don't see Hamas agreeing to this at all either.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:48:13 PM
Ummm., Jerusalem is a total no go area. The Jews or arabs will just never move on that.

Telan Desaria
Jun 4th, 2003, 04:36:55 PM
I believe they should fight a war. Whoever winds up controlling the City keeps it.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 4th, 2003, 05:07:50 PM
-_-

Nice troll. Make it a bit less obvious tho next time

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:18:29 PM
Hey I bet he really *does* believe that.

But that won't happen, I hope. ^_^;

Charley
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:45:39 PM
Want peace in the middle east? Can you wait till Rapture, because they are never going to stop fighting over that land, until nobody's left on Earth. I'm not holding my breath. To be honest, the only thing this peace summit will do is to give America some diplomatic breathing room in the region. That's all I expect.

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:54:56 PM
I believe they should fight a war. Whoever winds up controlling the City keeps it.

If they did, it would be over in about 2 hours. Israel could crush any Palestinian opposition in a full-out military conflict. It doesn't because of the threat of the rest of the arab world declaring super-mega-ultra jihad on it. The basic concept of mutually assured destruction has kept it from blowing up... so far, anyway.

It's a smart move too not deal with Jerusalem in these initial stages of the roadmap... it's much to complex a matter, and would cause the process to crumble immediately. At least this way, there is the possibility of taking some baby-steps towards a solution of sorts, rather than none at all. Let's face it. There will be no leaps and bounds forward here... it's gonna be a slow crawl at best. Might as well crawl over the less harsh terrain first and establish a partial/temporary solution than tackle the mountain right away.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:44:30 PM
I think the general popluace of both sides would be happy to see this end, but extremist elements, especially on the Palestinian side of things will try their hardest not to let that happen.

So sad. =/

JediBoricua
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:54:22 PM
Actually I'm optimistic, I can honestly say I like Bush's approach to the situation.

He actually made Arafat step down, granted not retire completely, but give power away, and they actually got Sharon to sit with his palestinian counterpart. Like all of you, I fear that Hamas or some other wacko will screw things up, but you gotta keep trying.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:55:00 PM
Exactly, Morg. I completely agree.

Sometimes I think detonating a nuclear bomb in the city and irradiating the area would solve the problem. If they can't agree, no one gets it.

(Yes, this is stupid fantasy and I would never advocate applying this as an actual solution.)

Telan Desaria
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:01:08 PM
Yes, I think it would save civilian lives.

The Israelies have managed to defeat every threaton its sovereignty since the state's modern inception. They possess the will power as a people to go about their lives for the ultimate realization of their ideological and religious goals. The can resist an ueber jihad. Why would they not? Any person too cowardly to engage them in open warfare does not deserve to ascend to Mecca, as their heaven is called.

Cowards find themselves rotting for eternity. Regardless of reasoning, to kill civilians will not weaken a standpoint, it strengthens resolve. Were they to assault military positions, active headquarters and defensive installations, then resolve would be properly moved to a resolution of the conflict. As of now, the Isrealis are running off of vengeance. And who among us can blame them.

Perhaps the current Army of Plaestine lacks the leaders or tactical skill to engage the Israelis. I will not take size differences as an acceptable excuse. Israel was a quarter of the size of it enemies when Syria, Jordan, and Egypt attacked. The Germans were outnumbered 60 million to five when they held against the Russians. The French outnumbered the Prussians at Sedan, but they pulled Victory into their sphere by the teeth.

The glorious death the Arabs seek will not be attained by killing those noncombatants whom they currently target. Or so it is in the eyes of the global military and its culture.

Dutchy
Jun 11th, 2003, 12:18:50 PM
June 10 President Bush sharply rebuked Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's government today after it tried to kill a Palestinian militant leader, asserting that the Israeli action undermined recent Middle East peace efforts.

A suicide bomber blew himself up on a bus in Jerusalem on Wednesday, killing at least 16 people and wounding nearly 70. An hour later, an Israeli helicopter fired missiles at a car in Gaza City, killing two Hamas officials and at least five other people and wounding 30.

This is just plain sad.

Roadmap my @ss.