PDA

View Full Version : SW Galaxies Release Date

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:56:06 PM
So when is it going to be out? They were saying June before but I can't find anything out about are they still having problems with the game or some shipping problem I am unaware of.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 4th, 2003, 01:16:26 PM
The present announced date is "Summer 2003", which is technically between 6/21 and 9/21. There was never a date announced after they postponed from April 15th.

Here's the latest word word from the Devs (http://boards2.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/125664.html):

Hey all -

I know you've been spotting some release dates for Star Wars Galaxies popping up in various places on the 'net. Just to give you the official word:

At E3 and in other communications with retailers, we've given them a rough timeframe for the launch of the product, but all of our messaging has been consistent with what we've been teling you, the community. In other words, no specific date has been mentioned, although we've told *everyone* that we're on track for a Summer 2003 release.

Retailers often need to post more concrete information (other than just a season or month). In our case, they've picked what they think is most likely, given what they saw at E3 and what they know about our successes in beta. If you look at Amazon, EB, Gamestop and other sites, they all have somewhat varying dates, although all are in the same range.

As far as we're concerned, the date is still unannounced, and is still just "Summer 2003," though we definitely have a target date that we're working towards internally as part of our development schedule.

I'll also point out that the date on StarWars.com is drawn automatically from Amazon.com, so the information actually came from Amazon rather than us. We haven't provided anyone with any official release date.

The official release date will appear here, at the official site ( www.starwarsgalaxies.com ), and you'll all be the first to know.

Haden Blackman
LucasArts Producer

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:20:40 PM
Thanks Qui-Gon, don't know where I heard June could have been somebodys guess. I think I will bookmark the official site to check on it everyknow and then.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:38:04 PM
Oh, don't worry.. I'll spam ya with links to CCnet's articles and such on the subject once the NDA drops. ;)

Charley
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:08:51 PM
This is becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever

Darth Viscera
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:34:49 AM
did that game ever come out, or did it just disappear into the infinity void?

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:39:01 AM
Charley, are you mad you weren't picked for Beta or what?

There are 50,000 beta testers on three servers with weekly public updates (http://boards2.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/128647.html) from the Developers. The game was recently nominated at the official E3 Awards (http://www.e3awards.com/nom.html) for best online multiplayer game. The box and manual are at the printers to produce the real final version (http://boards2.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/127040.html).

Dude, it's hardly vaporware.

Charley
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:46:33 AM
I couldn't give a damn about it, actually. Its not an immediate priority.

All I know is that they were expecting this out at the end of 2001 or beginning of 2002 at the latest...and we're still waiting.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:13:37 PM
They really need to lift the NDA...

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 5th, 2003, 03:24:43 PM
Charley, I've followed their boards for the past two years, and except for some initial press releases, they never seriously announced a 2001 date. Their forums didn't even go live till around 12/00.

They have missed two release periods... 4th quarter 2002, and April 15th, 2003, but compared to the average Blizzard game, they're still early, and like I said, from the stuff they've put up there, it's sounding close. :p

Lady Vader
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:09:56 PM
Oh, hell, i don't care when it comes out, so long as it comes out! :rollin

BTW, any news on how much the subscription will be monthly?

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:00:47 PM
Not yet.. but I have my suspicions it'll be about what EQ charges, which would be $13/mo with discounts for buying blocks (6 mos./1 year) in advance.

Charley
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:00:03 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJ
Charley, I've followed their boards for the past two years, and except for some initial press releases, they never seriously announced a 2001 date. Their forums didn't even go live till around 12/00.

They have missed two release periods... 4th quarter 2002, and April 15th, 2003, but compared to the average Blizzard game, they're still early, and like I said, from the stuff they've put up there, it's sounding close. :p

Then somebody had some loose lips at 2001 E3, because it was in every gaming mag that summer.

Figrin D'an
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:12:43 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Then somebody had some loose lips at 2001 E3, because it was in every gaming mag that summer.

Aye... methinks a marketing/sales person got a bit overzealous, didn't talk to the software engineers and gave a release date that would have been impossible to make.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:46:34 PM
Well it looks like to me they just want everything right, I never thought it would be ready 2001, I first thought we might have it last Christmas but was really looking foward to it in April but I guess it is better to wait and get a better product.

Charley
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:08:35 AM
...or one that is finished using outdated graphics and technology.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:47:55 AM
Well the screenshots look like good graphics to me and there has been good reviews from those who have played it.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:15:10 AM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/gallery.htm

Go watch movie #2, which is the E3 trailer for this year. One thing I can safely point up is that the game will require DirectX 9.

As to E3 2001, yes, there was coverage everywhere, but no release date. I know cause I had joined their boards just before that and were in the middle of discussing things like playable races and base game concepts.

Check here (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/digest/dev_digest.jsp) to see what discussions took place when. It's a complete record of the Dev's posts about pretty much everything since the site went live.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:56:31 PM
I will give my 2 cents when the NDA is lifted...

QuiGon, any hints of talks flowing around of that?

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:52:34 PM
Q said on the public boards it will lifted say before release, but nothing definite bout when.

AmazonBabe
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:20:57 PM
Not yet.. but I have my suspicions it'll be about what EQ charges, which would be $13/mo with discounts for buying blocks (6 mos./1 year) in advance.

$13/mo? Not bad. I can afford that. :) Thankee! :D

Shadow Hunter
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:45:23 PM
$10 would be better...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:00:10 PM
I have my doubt this is true but some guy working in EB said it comes out June 18th. I have no clue where he got that date, I didn't want to push him on it because I didn't want to make it sound like I knew more than him.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:02:28 PM
EB is full of crap and always has been.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:31:35 AM
In the past they have gave me the right release date, but I am thinking this guy was just wrong.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:51:04 AM
EB has a release date for Duke Nukem Forever. (Or Duke Nukem taking Forever)

Nuff said.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:53:40 PM
That's been promised since what, 1999? What an utter load.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:05:59 PM
Well that does say something, this date is probably on their computer and who knows where they got that.

Lady Vader
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:11:19 PM
I've actually heard that Galaxies is to be released sometime this June... and I heard June 25. I heard this from my fiance, who I trust, but I don't know where he got the info from, which I may not trust.

So, I dunno.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:57:22 PM
I had heard rumors of June for a while it could just be speculation.

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2003, 05:53:23 PM
Well, Europe has fun news, as it has been totally removed from any schedules while they wait for "a ready market". Now to me this is total BS, as by the time a market appears, MMORPGs such as Warcraft, Matrix and Lord of the Rings will be out, and with newer technology.

And hey, if they kept their word about aiming to make it playable on 56ks, there would be a market ;)

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:09:43 PM
The community Manager says there will be announcement next week. We'll see what happens.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:47:08 PM
Thats cool maybe we will finally get a date.

Charley
Jun 15th, 2003, 07:57:30 PM
I'll look for a date in places other than a game of Galaxies.

(rimshot)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:04:55 PM
Whatever, I don't need to look ;)

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:19:51 AM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/press5.htm

LUCASARTS ANNOUNCES STAR WARS GALAXIES™: AN EMPIRE DIVIDED™
WILL RELEASE JUNE 26, 2003

Long Awaited Massively Multiplayer Online Star Wars® Game To Offer Four Subscription Plan Options

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. and SAN DIEGO – June 17, 2003 – LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment Inc. today announced Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, the highly anticipated initial installment of the first Star Wars massively multiplayer online (MMO) game series, will release June 26, 2003. The Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided online fan community now exceeds more than 500,000 registered members.

At launch Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided will offer four subscription plan options: Month-to-month - $14.99; three months - $14.00 per month; six months - $13.00 per month; and 12 months - $12.00 per month. By subscribing to any of the latter three plans, players can expect savings of up to 20 percent over the month-to-month rate. Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided has a suggested retail price of $49.95, and includes a 30-day subscription to the game. A special collector's edition, which includes a book of game-related art, in-game wearables, pewter figurine, lapel pin and patch, and a signed manual, will be available for a suggested retail price of $79.95.

"The release of Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided is a truly defining moment for LucasArts and we're confident the game will meet player's expectations," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "The current subscription plan for Star Wars Galaxies is reflective of the game's high quality and competitive with the current marketplace. No matter which subscription option players choose they'll be able to look forward to a constant stream of dynamic content and features, first-rate customer service and much, much more."

"After three years of intense development, we're thrilled by the imminent release of Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided," says John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "We're honored that LucasArts felt only Sony Online had the right combination of technical know-how and game design skills to produce a game of this scope. The Star Wars Galaxies team has been working non-stop to deliver a product that lives up both to the stature of the Star Wars license and the expectations that LucasArts had set for us."

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided was recently nominated for a Game Critics Award: Best of E3 2003 in the Best Online Multiplayer Game category.

I was off on the pricing a little but $13 a month if you buy 6 months at a whack.

Charley
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:21:45 AM
I'm not about to pay for the software AND pay a monthly fee that is twice the price of my ISP. They can kindly squeeze somebody else's wallet.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:08:51 PM
I am willing to do it I think. Qui-Gon I have a question though I have heard that they they are adding new species in the next expansion pack. So I was wondering if you wanted to change species could you get rid of your current character and make another one from scratch?

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:41:38 PM
The NDA isn't going down for another couple days, but I think that question is safe enough.

Yes, you can always delete a character and make a new one. And with your existing character, you will be able to change anything else about them except name, gender and species.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:48:23 PM
Well, as they posted at the Station, you can only have 1 charachter per server per account. Except the secret "Jedi Charachter" which you might unlock.

You can, I believe, have a charachter on each server though, not sure if I reading them right.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2003, 08:59:08 PM
That sounds cool I say that because I heard rumors that the Chiss might be on an upcoming expansion pack I am not sure if that will happen but there could be another species I might want to try down the road.

Shadow Hunter
Jun 18th, 2003, 11:51:21 AM
The 26th definitely....

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:58:16 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!!! PUSH IT BACK!!!!

I don't want to pay for my usage! NO! I want to play beta for free forever!!!

I'm about to cry...

Shadow Hunter
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:37:03 PM
we have to pay for the game, and pay to play it. We have to pay to look at certain syuff on the SW website. We have to pay for Movie tickets and VHS or DVD of the movies. I'm payin alot of money already. Ep3 better be so good i'll crap my pants in the theater!:grumble

AmazonBabe
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:54:51 PM
:lol

I'm so ready to pay for the game and pay for the subscription. And I won't even be broke afterwards (which is a good thing).

My only concern is how does the game rate on the different connection speeds: 56k, cable, DSL, etc.

Also, I heard that you'll be able to have more than one character per account (like 3 or something), but only one character per server. I wanna know if this is true or if it's just a wishful-thinking rumors.

Figrin D'an
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:24:22 PM
In other news, the Warcraft III expansion hits shelves July 1st. I think that's where I'll be directing my gaming funds.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:28:17 PM
The NDA has just fallen. I like the game. Any other questions, head on over the GRU boards (http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin/board/ultimatebb.cgi?category=6) and I'll be happy to answer em. :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:05:58 PM
the NDA has finally Fallen?

O YEAH!!!

This game is one of the BEST FREAKING GAMES I have played!
It has so much to do!

My Charachter looked like that Vamp Guy from MGS2, and I had a long black cloak/robe on. He was hella tight. Blasting people away with my Pistoleer Abilities using this freaking cool, huge pistol gun which looked like a Desert Eagle with a scope.

"OVER CHARGE THIS YOU SON OF A" *KAZAP*

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:30:23 PM
Well, don't hold back Dyzm, what do you really feel?

:lol

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:35:05 PM
I feel like I'm in Star Wars Heaven... With Stormtroopers with wings playing the Empire's Song.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:48:04 PM
I wrote up my review... you'll find it here (http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=29&t=000016). :)

Gasgano
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:23:01 PM
Just thought I'd pop in to plug my new form of Internet Crack. :D

I've been playing this game for a few months now since the start of Beta 3. The the best discription I can give it is that it's a giant Star Wars sandbox for you to play in. If you are into Star Wars rollpaying on a message board, you owe it to yourself to at least give this game a try.

The first time you see something like the Mos Eiesly Cantina, downtown Theed, or a pack of savage bloodtheirsty Ewoks on Endor, you will be totaly hooked. :cool

Ace McCloud
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:27:40 PM
Well, all I know is (not literally) that the longer they work on it, the better and more solid it will be when it is finally released.

Charley
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:39:30 PM
Originally posted by MortalDanger
Well, all I know is (not literally) that the longer they work on it, the better and more solid it will be when it is finally released.

Then I guess DNF is going to blow us all away.

Ace McCloud
Jun 21st, 2003, 04:14:00 PM
DNF?

Charley
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:59:33 PM
Duke Nukem Forever

Ace McCloud
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:22:45 PM
Aw man........SWG comes out tomorrow.......Im quivering in anticipation. Ive been waiting for this for over a year!

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:31:53 PM
Join us on Chilastra if you're interested. :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:33:10 PM
25% discount! AND no line waiting! My friend works at Gamestop, he put it on hold under his name, first shipment, over half a year ago

Cheaper, and no line waiting... Life is sweet

Ace McCloud
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:12:07 AM
Nice. So what groups are out there willing to have a Human, Secluded Ranger that is hoping to become a jedi (even though they will probably have perma death and be hated and hunted by all)

Darth Viscera
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:17:47 AM
I ordered my copy from ebworld.com yesterday, 1-day UPS. I'm going to spend a bit reading the instructions before I create my character...I'm still having a hard time in EVE: Online because I gave my guy too much charisma and not enough intelligence and memory. At this point he's still a very charming Rainman.

If I learned anything from EVE, it's that you have to join a corporation at day 1, because you can't do diddily poop if you're wandering around solo like some sort of satan worshipper. Anyway, where do you mine your arkonor, or whatever other item that can be refined and sold off for currency in order to get better cruisers, battleships, 1600mm howitzers, etc? Ideally I want to be flying an Interdictor cruiser by August 1st, and have a fleet of at least 30 Nebulon-B frigates in my corp so we can all travel around in combat formation and look tight. I bet that by December 1 we'll start seeing the first player-run stations, and by next year we'll have corporations that have started up their own little empires, like with the Stain Alliance.

Gurney Devries
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:54:27 AM
Early Impressions don't so very good so far. From Guru3D:
Star Wars Galaxies (referred to as SWG from here on out) is a culmination of false hope, empty promises, and over hyped delusions of grandeur. What could have amounted to a fantastic world in where you can take the role of a hero in the Star Wars Universe that a lot of us have grown to love through the old movies, or even the new; turns out to be an utterly rushed disappointing disaster of epic scale in the MMOG genre that leaves the player paying $14.99 a month for the developers to finish the game they had hyped oh so many years ago. As far as I am concerned, this title will go down in history as the worst MMOG launch ever known to mankind. And unfortunately, it takes a verifiable and powerful Star Wars license down right with it.

[...]

This will go down in history as one of the most over hyped and under delivered titles in gaming historyhttp://content.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=gamereviews&id=49

Nevlonniel
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:57:34 AM
Pffft... I've heard only good reviews from the beta testers, and they've been playing it much longer. I'll stick with their versions.

Besides, game reviewers fall in the same category as movie critics. Blech, I say! BLECH!

But that's just me. :)

And as to getting the game, here's hoping I find a place that ain't too crowded and still has copies. If not, no biggy. I'll just order it online and wait patiently for it to arrive. I've waited this long... I can wait a little more. :)

Ace McCloud
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:00:16 PM
Ill make my own opinion when i play it tomorrow =)

Gurney Devries
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:01:02 PM
Actually, I find that game reviews can often be pretty accurate, especially if you find a reliable source. Most of the Beta testers I've talked to have had pretty much the same things to say.

But, then again... if you're really hyped up about it and willing to completely overlook all of its flaws, I'm sure you'll have a grand ol' time living out characters in the SWU. Still, there's just far too much negative attention surrounding this game for me to really justify spending the money.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:32:17 PM
Here's my 7300 word overview of what to expect.:
http://www.coruscantcity.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=8

And true, I've been in this for such a long time I'll admit to biases towards it. But... one thing you should keep in mind is this game has a very steep learning curve. It does. And till you've gotten past it, or found someone like me or Dyzm to help you, you'd probably mark the game down a bit for that.

Also, even in my positive review of the game (http://www.coruscantcity.net/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=000016), I said this:

Is the game fun?
Well, that depends on your idea of fun, and that's not dodging the question.

PvP types aren't happy, and I'm not gonna say all their qualms are baseless. I'll just say they are being worked on.

The Level 126 types from AC aren't happy, but that's cause Raph Koster never took much stock in levels. You won't be camping Darth Vader for the "Holy Handgrenade of Antioch" while beating down Krayts with your left hand. This is a sandbox, not Chutes and Ladders. There's not much of a power differential tween new players and advanced. Personally, I love this.

So who will be happy?

Roleplayers, for one. You will be able to recognize people from their looks. The character generator is that detailed. The differences between races is not enough that you "must be" a certain race to have fun.

You can set age, mood, and body language, with animations that play out as you talk. You have facial expressions. type a smiley and your character will react that way. You'll be shocked when you see how many "little touches" are already there the first day you log in.

You'll be happy if you want an MMO where you can log in and play, and not have it feel like a job. This is more like message board RP, where you come in when you want to and have fun, and head off. You can have duels with people anytime if you both agree to it.

Explorers will be happy. There are nearly a thousand square miles of scenery on all the planets to explore, all with breathing, living creatures who have some surprisingly neat AI. Shug was telling the truth with his expeditions. It was fun having certain really large creatures on Lok run with my hunting party last Sunday. And I look forward to being a creature trainer someday.

Socializers, yup, they will be happy too. The combat types will need you, and so far as I've seen, respect your abilities.

Does the game have bugs?
Yes, but not nearly as many as you might think from some people out there. Keep in mind, if we liked the game and the Devs, we respected the NDA. So for a while now, only bad news has gotten to travel.

The Devs are tracking the few major bugs, and have shown quite well that they "get it" by and large in terms of fixing what ain't fixed just yet. I'm not offering lists of those bugs right now in the hopes they will fix those, as they fixed two biggies today in the rule set. Most of what I want fixed are more annoyances and art bugs than crashes or anything serious.

I also want more content, but it'll happen, and I can't wait for vehicles.

So, no, I'm not blinded to the things that still need work, or who won't like the game no matter what they do, but I can live with what bugs are there. If you can't, then wait. (And I plan to list the bugs in an article on CCnet later, but just haven't had the time to do it.)

One small point on the monthly fee though.. they have 60 people on the Live Team, which is triple the amount on any other game including EverQuest. And that's where the extra money is going, and if you pay far enough in advance, you can cut the price to the same as EQ.

Nevlonniel
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:48:27 PM
Wait... Dyzm got into the beta for SWG?... And he DIDN'T TELL ME?!?!?!

:verymad

WHERE IS THAT BOY???

Pilot Akito
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:51:49 PM
I'm not going to argue with people about it, either here or at Slashdot.

I'm going to wait three months and see what they devote that 60 person dev team to, bug fixes or content.

I hope bug fixes, but only as long as these expansion packs come out once a year. Anything sooner means that they would rather make sure that the Wookie's hair is just so... and ignoring the issues of what happens when 1000 people try to log in or out.

Ace McCloud
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:59:38 PM
no doubt there will be major problems the first few days but I imagine they will jump right on it. I remember when generals came out. The first day there were two patches, then another in the middle of the night. Sure, it is going to be really buggy for the first part but, it pays to play for some experience. But people are ALWAYS looking for a way to bash you, especially if you are ontop. I know from first hand experience ;)

Pilot Akito
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:04:17 PM
Originally posted by Ace McCloud
no doubt there will be major problems the first few days but I imagine they will jump right on it. I remember when generals came out. The first day there were two patches, then another in the middle of the night. Sure, it is going to be really buggy for the first part but, it pays to play for some experience. But people are ALWAYS looking for a way to bash you, especially if you are ontop. I know from first hand experience ;)

Hello this is not an RTS!

It's a lot bigger a project then an RTS. I don't expect to see mad patching like that. They should know what they need to fix now, and be able to fix it without causing a massive "install this to install this" party.

Ace McCloud
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:05:57 PM
i know...i was just giving an example... geez

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:18:41 PM
Oh, the first expansion pack is due out next year sometime, and it's the one that will add space flight to the game. :)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:37:52 PM
I suspect the game is premature from what beta testers at many messageboards tell me.

JediBoricua
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:55:49 PM
I don't know. I don't plan on buying the game just yet, mostly because I'm spending all my money for a new PC on a New York vacation, but I have heard mostly good reviews.

Many of the people that like the game seem to focuse on teh part that is does not feel like a job, and that unlike EQ you don't have to be at level 49 to enjoy the game. That, IMO, appeals to my type of gamer that studies full time, works part time, and enjoys gaming but does not have half the time he wants to devote to it. Only time will tell I guess.

Ace McCloud
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:56:48 PM
Game Registration Issues
We would like to apologize for any problems you may be having registering for Star Wars Galaxies™. A combination of hardware failures and some other unforeseen technical problems have resulted in a severe load on the registration servers. We are working as hard as we can to resolve the issue and will continue to work on it until you have a smooth experience. Please bear with us. We'll get you into the game as soon as we can!

First few hours after it was released :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:52:45 PM
I am glad I didn't buy it today, I was thinking about picking it up tomorrow. You think the Servers will be fixed? Also about reviews that is just one review and it is not from a major game site like Gamespot, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

Nadorj
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:54:54 PM
I had a that problem but it eventually worked out. I then recieved another problem. It says my video card cannot support the lighting and what not...is there anything I can do to other than buy a new video card??

Jordan

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2003, 10:42:40 PM
I was curious about that I have a Geoforce 2.0 would that work with this game?

AmazonBabe
Jun 26th, 2003, 10:51:25 PM
:crack:crack:crackI HAVE THE GAME!!!!!!:crack:crack:crack

:: Stares at box and drools. ::

I was curious about that I have a Geoforce 2.0 would that work with this game?

Yes, but it would be on the low end.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:05:44 PM
I have been thinking of upgrading to Geoforce 4.0 but it won't be for a month or two if the game would work until then I would be happy.

Ace McCloud
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:38:54 AM
Server Status June 26th
We apologize for the inconvienence, but we have found a serious problem with our database that is being worked on as we speak. We expect to have most of our servers back online sometime in the early morning West Coast time on Friday.. Our best estimate is 8:00am Pacific time... but we will update this time as we get better estimates.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:53:46 AM
LV!!! LV!!! So Sorry! Forgive me! Thought you read it here somewhere before!

The problem comes from the adding of all the new servers, clearing the old beta ones, and the influx of thousands of people.

And on a side note
Lady Vader, Quijon, and everyone else who thinks the opinion of 1 or 2 idiot critics are freaking stupid!

Charachter Name: (Seger Darkblood)
Server: (Have Yet to decide)
Planet:
City:

We must form hunting groups! HUNTING!!!

Lady Vader
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:14:02 AM
I have been thinking of upgrading to Geoforce 4.0 but it won't be for a month or two if the game would work until then I would be happy.

The Geoforce 2.0 you have now will run the game, but it may be slow and choppy... or whatever the proper term is.

A Geoforce 4.0 would definitely be better, though.

LV!!! LV!!! So Sorry! Forgive me! Thought you read it here somewhere before!

:cry I can't believe you'd forget to tell me in person. Even PM me... :cry

But you are forgiven... this time. I may not be so lenient the next. >D

:p

As to name, I'm assuming you're log in name isn't your character name. I'll let ya'll know what my characters name is when the servers are up and running and I can actually create her.

And, yes, creating a hunting team would be good. :)

Adjerban the Interloper
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:02:56 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I have been thinking of upgrading to Geoforce 4.0 but it won't be for a month or two if the game would work until then I would be happy. The correct answer is ATi Radeon 9500/9600 Pro.

Right now Nvidia's stuff is pretty pathetic except for the GeForce FX 5900.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:33:35 AM
Dyzm, it's QuiGonJ, as in a shortened version of Qui-Gon Jinn.. no relation to Jon.. honest.

We'll be on the Chilastra server, mostly at Kaadara since the lag isn't so bad there, but also in Theed.

and Adjerban is right, you would be better served with a Radeon. Can't argue that, and I have a GeForce 4.

Ace McCloud
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:50:22 AM
Dyzm I think I might play with my buddy for just a while. Cuz I dont want a large group right off the bat. o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:03:40 AM
Thats cool I just thought about going GeoForce since I had 2.0 but I will check that one out and get some price estimates from places and see which one is cheaper. As long as I can play the game now I am sure I can wait one or two months, I can survive the choppy graphics for a little while :) So QuiGon you are going to be on Naboo? Just curious if you are I might go on that planet.

Diego Van Derveld
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:11:09 AM
*GeForce
*GeForce
*GeForce

/grammar Nazi

Ace McCloud
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:15:55 PM
yes where are yall going, cuz i have the game now...

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:07:01 PM
The GRU is presently about six people.. we're not a large group at all. We're on Naboo on the Chilastra server. Try Kaadara, that's where I'll be tonight.

My name there is Alan' Kazan.

Nevlonniel
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:14:55 PM
I prob won't be able to play until maybe tonight or tomorrow or Sunday.

Weekdays might be more difficult as I can't get to bed too late cause of work (I went to bed at 1 AM last night and it's a miracle I actually woke up this morning at 6:30 AM as I didn't even HEAR my alarm go off).

As to server, I'll join the one where QGJ and the others are at. Hell, they have more experience thatn me and chances are i'll have a LOT of questions.

Darth Viscera
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:59:56 PM
I'm in Kaadara, wandering around like an idiot trying to figure out how to do stuff beyond turning and walking and shooting wacko big birds.

My name is Wyland Larr. I'm the short, fat guy with the black hair and the jogging clothes.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:35:39 PM
Won't be home for about two hours, but one secret for soloing is "talk to the NPCs" :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:35:45 PM
Cool I just got the game a few hours ago, I am going to go and set up my character I will let you know my name when I get it set up.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:41:38 PM
So everyone one on Chalista, ok cool. CYA in the game

Seger Darkblood <Commando Training>

Ishan Shade
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:57:31 PM
I got it today!!! woooo im pumped!

but i can't play till I get off work....drat......but im going to Chalista...so I will let everyone know when I get in the game...cya then!! :) :) :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:23:27 PM
The game says Chilastra is full does that mean full for good and I can't get in or is it just a temporary deal? I would really like to go somewhere where I know people so I hope this is just a temporary thing.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:04:15 PM
It's a temp deal.. it tries not to allow new logins when the server is over 3500 people... we are petitioning to get that loosened

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:15:19 PM
Okay I will try to get on later maybe there will be less people on then.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:17:04 PM
Yeah, I was stuck off for a bit.

Charachter Made on Chalista:
Seger Darkblood
Tryena, Corellia
(For some reason it wouldn't allow me to start a charachter on Naboo)

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:19:49 PM
Late night might be best :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:45:57 PM
Here's an explanation of full servers...
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Development&message.id=1698

Should be useful reading for ya.

Ace McCloud
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:51:07 PM
I went into the lowca server on Talus. I love it there. its HUGE =)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:19:13 AM
Well, I have moved my Charachter from Corellia to Naboo, Kaadara. LV, I have a pistol for ya, better then the starting newbie weapons.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:35:11 AM
Hmm, that must be why I couldn't get to Naboo earlier, I got through the Character Tuturiol but everytime I tried to go to Naboo the thing sent me back to the character screen. I am going to try again now and see what happens, if not there is always tomorrow I guess. Also my name is Layton Darkstar and I picked a human. I know how boring but there are so many species and I can't pick between them so I went with Human. I also picked Scout for now but I could always change that later.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:12:10 AM
Yeah, I had that same problem dude, couldn't get on Corellia. So here what we can do, If you start on Corellia, I can use some money and go pick you up and bring ya to Naboo.
(Cost me a pretty penny but hey, O well :D )

Hey QuiGon, when I logged back on after you left, I found an Item in my Inventory. Never seen it before it just magically appeared. "Dark Jedi Medallion" It says when you examine it something to this effect "An Ancient Medallion with Sith writing etched on the back"

Never ever seen it before.

Gurney Devries
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:50:03 AM
So let me get this right... full release, and they have the servers capped at 3,500? That's about what AC2's servers were capped at during the stress testing during the mid-beta. Come on.

Also, I just read this:
Some servers that had a few characters created on them yesterday (June 26th) are going to need to start with a clean slate.Excuse me?? A character wipe post-retail? That's definitely a first for MMORPGs.

When I first heard about Galaxies, I was really excited about the prospect. Word from the beta testers made me fairly cynical. This... this is really destroying any hope I had left. Maybe in 6 months - 1 year I'll give it another look.

Both of these actions suggest that this game was rushed out the door entirely too early; They're staples of a beta, not a retail game.

Ishan Shade
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:50:25 AM
I get an error when I hit "PLAY" that says

" Direct3D could not be correctly initialized. Sometimes this will be fixed by rebooting your machine. If it still occurs after reboot, then your video card may not support hardware transform and lighting. "

But I ran DXDiag and all things passed...whats the problem? Please help!

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 28th, 2003, 04:47:09 AM
Yea, I believe they rushed it also. The fact that the last patch isn't even showing in the game is just crap.

I don't believe the devs had any choice in the matter. They were proberly being pressured by Sony and Lucas arts to get the game out. Those servers cost money to run, and they kept beta going for a long while.

Yes, they should of waited another 2 weeks though.

Darth Viscera
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:43:23 AM
Carr and QuiGon, I sent you both mails in-game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:55:16 AM
Dyzm, well I made into Naboo late last night but I could only go to the colonial city Molina (is that how it is spelled) so I used my credits to get to Kaadara but then the server went down again on me, I guess that is what it was. So far that seems to be the biggest problem. The graphics look very good and there are a lot of really cool things about the game, just the server problems, they better get them fixed soon.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:55:57 AM
Oh and DV I will answer your email when I come on next, it will be sometime later today most likely.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:08:44 PM
It looks like they are having problems with Chilastra I see on the Galaxies forum a lot of people are complaining. QuiGon is it the server or is Chilastra that popular?

AmazonBabe
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:54:54 PM
Well, I have moved my Charachter from Corellia to Naboo, Kaadara. LV, I have a pistol for ya, better then the starting newbie weapons.

Thanks Dyzm! That's mighty sweet of ya! :)

Anyhoo, so you're not on the Chalista server? Or are you still there?

Oh, wait, I understand now. You're on the Chalistra server, but you started your character on Corellia (due to no room on Naboo) and then later moved him to Naboo. Right?

EDIT: Man... if Chalistra is having probs, I'd hate to begin my character there and then have someone tell me they have to wipe the thing clean and I have to start over again. :x

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:33:33 PM
Right you are!

and keep trying Chalistra, it should be worked out someday

ReaperFett
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:59:03 PM
Hey, least you got a release :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:47:27 PM
Anybody have any luck with Chalistra today? I was about to go there and check it out.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:28:17 PM
Right now a lot of servers just went down for a fix... this has not been a good couple of days for them.. not at all.

but, if you wanna check out my article, it's got Beta 1 screenies in it now. :)

Ace McCloud
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:32:31 PM
Well, I'm still in the Lowca server, building up a pretty good character there. Once I establish him there, I'll move to yalls server. mmmmmmK?

Makoto Neo
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:34:15 PM
The big question
~Is this thing worth investing in, so far?~

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:46:07 PM
Yeah I just came back from there they are all down, it looks the server problem is going to be the big problem for now. Hopefully they can get that straightened out. Any idea when the servers will be back up? It said it would be brief but that could mean anything.

Ace McCloud
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:30:50 PM
It seems that all characters have been reset. I dont know if this was an accident or if they did it on purpose, but i am EXTREMELY ticked off. I had gotten SO FAR with my character that im about ready to kill something.

Ace McCloud
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:52:03 PM
Just a small problem. Shew, am i relieved, its all back up now =)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:56:35 PM
Well most of the servers are now up, if they only fix Chilastra

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:58:29 PM
Uh, you can't move characters across servers... :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:09:51 PM
I might create another character and use that one on another server in a minute at least get used to playing the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:40:55 PM
Chilastra is up again finally

AmazonBabe
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:19:21 AM
OK, got my character on Chilastra.

Only thing is that I couldn'ty get on Naboo (too full), so I'm stuck on Corellia somewhere.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 29th, 2003, 02:09:03 AM
I was on Naboo and got cut off trying to get to Molinea, sorry Dyzm if you wonder what happened to me, I tried to get back on twice but I gave up I am too tired now so I will try again tomorrow. Maybe they will fix some of these problems in the morning.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 29th, 2003, 04:46:05 AM
yeah, I noticed, hope they do fix up those troubles then we can get down and join QuiGon's PA and all that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 29th, 2003, 12:08:37 PM
You know this is the second time it crashed when I was going on a shuttle is there a bug there maybe? Or is just that Naboo was overloaded with people.

Ace McCloud
Jul 1st, 2003, 11:58:44 PM
Well im on lowca, with a good scout. So if anyone comes there, look me up. Names Kiith McCloud, on Talus.