PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get the feeling...

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:45:30 PM
...that people around here read all together too much Discworld??

As our newest member here is Felix D'eath, I must remind the readers of Terry Pratchet's wonderful world to keep an eye on plagarizing, and copyright violations.

Thank you, that will be all. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:47:56 PM
For once, it's not me

EDIT -

If it's only the name that's the same, btw, and not the personality/past etc, technically Darth Vader could be charged with the same offense :mneh

Ida Knoe
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:12:41 PM
All Of my names are original.....I hope.... If they are not, than may I be squished by a 500 ton, singing, purple Hipo.....*THUMP*.... Missed!! AND I said Purple!...Not Blue!! :p

ReaperFett
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:19:30 PM
Still only read two :)

Figrin D'an
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:22:59 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
If it's only the name that's the same, btw, and not the personality/past etc, technically Darth Vader could be charged with the same offense :mneh

You get fruit cup. :)

I would be guilty of the same offense of name borrowing. Just as long as the character isn't played as DEATH from the Discworld stories, it's fine.

But, it's a good reminder that LD has made, just to make sure everyone is on the level. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:29:24 PM
Just as long as the character isn't played as DEATH from the Discworld stories, it's fine.

I think there is actually a char called Felix D'Eath, an assassin if I remember right, so it's not just a jumble of jolly ole DEATH.

But yes, worthwhile reminding people :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:41:06 PM
Technically you can use Death as a name, but using Death with the exact mannerisms of Death from Discworld would be bad.

Figrin D'an
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:43:07 PM
Very well then. I've only read 6 of the books myself, so I'm unfamiliar with all the characters. :)

So... who wants to hijack this thing?

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:45:57 PM
It's going to come around to talking about the Disc eventually... might as well start now :p

Darius Van-Derveld
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:54:57 PM
CATCH THOSE PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(or some such)

Anyway...i had thought when making up the character that the christian name was different, besides, i have no intention of leaping from the shadows and inhuming anyone.

But dont worry, if any tendencies toward puppy slaughter and an odd taste in fabrics (black spots etc) do arise in you...i'll be sure to point it out.

Seteth Morters
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:01:44 PM
Edward D'Eath

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:02:18 PM
I see no problems with name borrowing, and I think we all know that the Darth Vader of the boards is *not* even pretending to be the Darth Vader from the movies. Ok so he IS pretending to be the Darth Vader from the movies, but he's really not. Did that confuse everyone?

Cruella De'Vil and Lilaena De'Ville are nothing alike. I didn't even think of her when I got the last name.

Figrin D'an isn't a Bith musician so I think you're safe there, Figgy.

Darius, you're fine with the name, just make the character dissimilar from the one in Men at Arms. :D

Ok now.

I own like 12 Discworld books. I'm totally addicted. :)

edit: Edward, was it? Good grief I could have sworn it was Felix. Oy, sorry. :p

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:04:03 PM
(man I keep hearing that Cruella De'Vil tune in my head now :cry why why why)

Aw. I have a measly 5 or 6. I only really need my Fifth Elephant to keep me going. plus I have all my Discworld MUDly knowledge *cough*

Have two of the video games tho! *brandishes them proudly*

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:06:25 PM
There are video games?? :eek

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:08:04 PM
Oh yes. Discworld 1 and 2, plus Discworld Noir (which I still haven't sent to Charley ... :uhoh)

Ye olde pointe and clickey style games. Noir is a wonderful spoof of Casablanca and other Noir (duh) movies, with a dash of pop culture thrown in the mix - i.e. spoofing Lara Croft

1 and 2 follow Rincewind in his capers. I only have 2, which about Death going missing .. so Rincewind has to replace him! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:14:40 PM
Cool!

Have you read Mort? :D

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:06:47 PM
The first Discworld is one of the best titles on the PS ever.

Fun game.

AmazonBabe
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:12:18 PM
Figrin D'an isn't a Bith musician so I think you're safe there, Figgy.

Um, I thought Firgin D'an WAS the lead musician for Figrin D'an and the Model Nodes from the Catina Band on Tattooine. And as I recall, they were all Bith musicians... :huh

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:28:39 PM
Never read/played nor heard of discworld until a few weeks ago. Havent a clue what it is :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:39:09 PM
AB you missed my point. Figgy borrowed the name, but he doesn't RP him as a Bith musician, and THEREFORE....(therefore is a good word) he is not copying someone else's made up character, only the name. And that's ok.

All shiny and clear now? :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:08:58 PM
only one that I ever had that was close to the name and char which was Aisha Klan Klan, but she only had the look and the name came from trying to get a similar name on ezboard but AKK didn't act like ACC from OS a bit.....

Alpha
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:15:41 PM
Discworld is awsome. :) DEATH and The Luggage are the best chars by far. :)

Charley
Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:44:11 PM
The character in question is confirmed as Edward D'Eath, from Men at Arms.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:00:33 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Cool!

Have you read Mort? :D

Of course. I read most of the Death related books first since I thought he was the coolest to begin with ^_^;

Darren Caerdeth
Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:58:00 AM
All I know about Discworld.....

Dont eat the Cabbage >_<

Seteth Morters
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:52:19 AM
Got the full series from Colour of Magic - Night Watch, got the Light fantastic graphic novel thingy, got the three PC games, the map, The Amazing Maurice, The Wee Free Men, Eric (dunno if thats really part of the series) The Last Hero (again, dunno if its part of the series), THe discworld illustrationy art book thingy, have had a try at the MUD (never got into it) and have a little statuette of Death on my desktop.

<--- Discworld gal. :)

Charley
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:02:47 AM
I want Night Watch very badly....but I haven't seen it in paperback. I'm too poor to be buying Pratchett books in hardcover...that would break the bank.