PDA

View Full Version : I Remember... (repost)

Alana Stormcloud
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:07:03 AM
I Remember... Soth slipped into the place where the creatures of the night, his kind, the children of the damned must rest. As the morning star pierced the night sky, it sent the darkness away to announce the dawning of a new day. A strange slumber fell over the Death Knights mind. Soth could see a valley before him, dense with fog. The landscape was lit by a bloodstar that cast an erie red hue. Huge mammoth bones were strewn about the valley. As Soth walked through he could barely make out the cannon walls and the deep crags and fishers that jetted up and out of the earth hundreds of meters on either side, forming great sentinels. Was he in the forbidden final resting place of the Duinuogyin? The forbidden place of the star dragons of old. A cold dew formed over Soth as he walked further for what seemed miles. Finally Soth stopped turning around looking about, it was surreal.

"What brings you here unreverend son of the Black Rose" came a voice as cold as the air about Soth. Soth reached for his saber out of reaction but found that he was completely unarmed! Soth startled, spun around to try to see where the voice was coming from. That it seemed to resonate throughout the cannon.

"I do not know how I got here, nor do I know where I am at," came Soth in a confident voice.

"These grounds are forbidden to you cursed one," came the reply.

"Who is it that speaks as if he knows me?" came Soth knowing that whoever it was, knew something of him.

"I am the keeper of these sacred grounds on which you stand."

Soth tried to reach through the Force but only found an emptiness.

"I know you, Knight of the Black Rose, you are he who has fallen from grace, cursed to walk the halls of life for all eternity. Soth fumbled for the inner switch to his cryo chamber, and as the lid slid forward he hurriedly climbed out. Setting on the edge of his high tech coffin, he was bent over trying to force the air into his lungs. A cold sweat covered his body like the dew that covered him in the Duinuogyin grave yard. After long moments Soth found his composure.

"It...it must have been only a dream" he told him reassuringly.

Night had fallen on the Coven Citadel as the inhabitants came forth to what was their day. Soth made his way to his friends room. A mercenary by the name of Mockadane employed into the service of the Coven by Saurron himself. Soth found in Mockadane a kindred spirit of old, a sort of whimsical noble like quality that was rare.

"Come..." came the voice from inside Mockadane's quarters. " Soth so glad to see you, I was hoping that I might have a word with you" said Mockadane as he looked up at Soth entering. Many books, journals, and manuscripts of what seemed of an ancient origin were strewn about the large study desk in front of Mockadane. Many impressive and lethal weapons were displayed in various cases and some of the vary rare ones under glass. Soth always walked over to admire some of the new weapons or glance at a coveted weapon each time he visited Mockadane.

"Impressive, where did you acquire the Hapen bardiche my friend.?" as he ran his talon finger down the blade.

"Uh...don't touch it it's very, very rare" came Mockadane trying not to sound to imposing.

"I see, indeed it is. I admire your extensive collection your past has given you opportunity to the rarer things in life" said Soth walking the lined wall admiring the collection.

"I'll cut to the chase my friend said Mockadane in a firm voice. "I know you"

Soth froze in his tracks, turning quickly to face him with a puzzled look. "What did you just say?" came Soth narrowing his eyes at Mockadane. Mockadane, looking more startled at Soth's reaction bid him to sit down.

"My friend, I have obviously started this off on the wrong foot" Soth came to sit down his eyes never leaving Mockadane's.

"I have been interested in things of old since I can remember Soth, and I to am like yourself...so to speak."

Soth now leaned back in his chair crossing his fingers with a look of amusement now on his face. "Really?" came Soth.

"Yes, my friend but..."

Soth stopped Mockadane in mid sentence," my friend, what your about to ask of me would take lifetimes to explain, what I've seen, and who I've known. Let me save us both the embarrassment of our friendship. I am a cursed you see."

Mockadane leaned back in his chair his fingers interlaced in front of his face, listening intently.

"Hmmm...you want to know how I came to be what I am now, a Vampyre" said Soth reading Mockadane's thoughts through his eyes.

"Yes, maybe it will answer the question why lady Kat bears the symbol of my family crest of chaos on the ring she now wears" said Mockadane in a cool voice.

"Ah yes, indeed, but let me start at the beginning." Soth after long moments, pondering in deep thought, reeling his memory back to an ancient time. "It was then, when the word hope had no meaning, a time of peace and prosperity, an era of pureness and of light." Mockadane could almost hear the ancient accent come through as Soth recounted the past as he spoke. "Before the darkness entered, devouring all in it's path, a time when the old republic was born. And the champions of light guarded the distant worlds from what they knew one day would come. I was a general then in the order of light of the Crescent Rose. A holy order, given to men to rule in the jurisdiction of justice and of peace. I was blessed by the Duinuogyin them selves, the Star Dragons of old, who are all but legends now. My code of honor...I was bound to it in life to love no other but it. To live by it and serve by its standards."

Soth finishing the sentence in an almost searing tone. "Then she came...I fell in love with her, we hid our love, but my heart did not."

Mockadane could see the deep pain across Soth's face.

"I broke the code of honor to be with her. The darkness consumed me as I fought in the behalf of love, knowing even then, what it meant. I was eventually banished, cursed by the very ones who placed me in power. I was to walk through all eternity for my rebellion. The secrets that I knew, were to great a risk to the order of light, but it was against the code to slay one of its own. One of my construct and prestige. It would bring unbalance and misfortune to the light." Soth paused..." She died in my arms, I loved no other since" Soth glanced down.

"Did you have any offspring?"

"No..." Soth said quietly.

Mockadane looked at Soth with a puzzled look on his face, a deep sorrow filled him. "What of the lady Tirsa, you care for her?"

Soth looked up slowly and methodically to meet Mockadane's eyes, Soth's eyes then narrowed, piercing Mockadane at that moment. "I do...she is, and is what I lost long ago."

Soth abruptly changed the conversation. " I served many noble blood lines before I fell, and after those of a more corrupt nature. I started the secret order of the Black Rose. Eventually my body died still young but old and tired. I swore I would avenge her loss and my demise! I then became the Death Knight Soth of the Black Rose order. It was Exar Kun that summoned me to do his bidding. I was always there, in the darkness, awaiting the call. Even after his own demise, I still wandered the avenues of life, but in death.

"But there are no records of your service to Exar Kun, yet there are many historical counts of him" Mockadane argued.

Soth coolly looked at Mockadane..."The sages of the Bloodstone made sure that I would be put to rest after the chaos I wreaked across the galaxy ... so they thought. Even their magic was not strong enough to banish the curse for long" Soth snapped.

"I see" replied Mockadane in respect.

"And yes, my friend...I served your family linage, and the ring that you saw that Lordess Kat wears, was indeed owned by one of your ancestors long ago. I gave it to Saurron, and he then gave it to her.

"But what of all the missing years, the Scrolls of Skellose...the Shadow Scrolls? How did they reappear...how did Saurron find them to bring you back, and is it true you command the undead? Mockadane leaned forward slightly as to anticipate Soth's answer.

"Fate my friend...frightful fate."replied Soth in a cold voice.

An icy coldness filled the room, a bone chilling cold. Mockadane shuddered as the cold crept over him.

"You see, there are things that some should never know, paths that should never be ventured down, after all it was my undoing." Soth's words sounding almost lethal.

"Surely there is more." Came Mockadane in a curious voice.

"Careful...my friend...careful. Before the dawn of time became no one ever knew we were among you until now." Soth said in a cryptic way as he looked with a far off look.

"Then why is it that you tell me these things?" Mockadane said looking at Soth unconvinced and a bit perturbed.

"I've told you nothing, only what you have needed to hear." Soth's eyes slowly falling back to meet Mockadanes."There are something's best left alone my friend." Soth then stood up still looking at Mockadane, but oddly enough, with a look of pity on his face. "Your most fortunate...I tell you simply, because you too one day, will be but a vapor in my past, and there will be others such as yourself as there has always been, but know this...I assure you, what was said here tonight was the first time and the last."

Mockadane understood, not completely, but he understood the Death Knights meaning. The pain was apparent. He knew Soth would not and could never escape the curse that haunted him for so long. Soth bowed to his comrade then departed without another word. Mockadane pondered for long moments the words Soth had spoken. Then he gathered the scattered manuscripts, all the ancient works on the Death Knight, and his own personal journals on the subject on of Soth's past. Mockadane walked over to the fireplace, then, bending down in front of it he hesitated. He thought to himself with a certain astonishment. *All the knowledge, all the things he must have seen and done, was that the ultimate price Soth paid to know?* As the papers burnt in the huge stone hearth, Mockadane could only stare at the fire as it grew brighter, then dimmed...as he too would one day...