PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a Master: En Garde (Sage)

imported_J'ktal Anajii
May 31st, 2003, 07:53:16 PM
After the schenanigans on Goull, J'ktal decided that the next prudent step in his training would be to learn how to properly use the Jedi tool known as the lightsaber.

The Death-Shadow had turned it on before, and even swung it around to get a feel for the weapon, not to mention already recieved a small bit of experience with it on his first mission with his master, but he did not understand the physics of it fully. And what he did not understand was simply something he would learn, that's all there was to it.

Though it might not have been his place, J'ktal had scheduled an open exercise room and sent word to his master, Sage Hazzard, to meet him there for a day of training. Again he had dressed in his sleevless workout attire, and in his paw was held the long silver handle of the lightsaber he posessed.

While the gray mongoose waited, he ignited the red blade, letting it hum softly as he swished it back and forth in front of his face before taking a few practice swings with it. The hear trail was easy to follow, and he imagined that it would easily lop off one of his paws if he was not careful. Shutting it down, he waited for Sage to show.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 1st, 2003, 02:03:01 AM
Sage arrived soon enough. He admired the man's work ethic. Even he was tired from that whole debacle. J'ktal, as hard as it may seem, must have even more stamina than him.

"Mr. Anajii. Would I be mistaken if I thought I heard a lightsabre blade humming in this room as I approached? Heck, even I'm sick of the thing after that mess. Don't let the council hear that though, they'll think I've heeded their advice..." he said with a smile.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 1st, 2003, 02:51:47 AM
"I take it you are known for being hot-headed, Master Hazzard?" J'ktal questioned with a knowing grin, though it was less of a grin than a creepy half-smile.

"It may surprise you to know that I was also considered rather rambunctios by my peers, at least in my training days. I believe that marriage helped to settle me down. You should try it, if you have not yet. It defintitely has advantages." He continued, almost making conversation. It was the first real breaking out of his shell he had done so far, and it only got better.

"Especiually when one's wife had very smilar training in certain areas. I truly would be foolish not to call her my better in some ways, nobeast could mark a target as cleanly as she in my class, or do a few other things quite as well." He had laid a bit more information on the table for Sage, now J'ktal would see what he would do with it.

"But," he changed the subject crisply, "We are not here to discuss things past; we are here to learn the new. I have taken the liberty of doing some research on you, Master Hazzard. Your battle record is commendable, to say the least. I look forward to learning this new weapon from you. Where shall we begin?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:35:41 AM
He'd hit the banta on the nose there. Hot headed didn't begin to explain how the more conserveative Jedi looked at him.

J'ktal had a better? He shuddered to think what would happen if the Death-Shadow ever considered the New Republic to be their enemies. Though the fact he spoke so fondly of her, even if it was in a combat shielded way, showed they still had emotion even if they didn't often show it.

"I'd challenge you in a spar but you'd probably win in five seconds flat like the last time... what the hey, let me show you the basics. Just take it easy at first, until you get the hang of it. We'll go slow motion."

He ignited his sabre and proceeded to slowly swing towards J'ktal, allowing ample time for parry.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:48:00 AM
J'ktal opted for a single-pawed approach to begin with, even though it was a long handle on his lightsaber. He cut loose the blade as he brought it up to meet halfway with Sage's blade. Out of instinct, he swept it down and around unil J'ktal held the interior position.

It was truly an odd feeling. The blades were solid as a broadsword when ignited, but weighed less than a training foil. It was the perfect combunation of both speed and power, and he would have to learn new physics in order to weild it with the same precision he posessed on the katana.

Stepping back, he pulled away his saber and looked at the blade once more. "A pity they cannot be set lower, I do believe that contact arts are the best to learn from," he said, unaware that some sabers could be set to a training mode, and others were made specifically for that purpose. Though the thought was quickly lost as he blocked another incomign strike with a rising block. Slowly he would ge the hang of it, but for now he was defintiely in the lacking for skill with the weapon. He felt clumsy and unsure of himself, feelings not becoming to a Death-Shadow.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:24:08 AM
Would he benifit from a practice setting or would the challenge of danger cause him to try harder?

"J'ktal, I believe we may be able to lower our power. My sabre has a lower setting, meant for sparring and training. It only causes a minor burn to targets. Your's may have the same setting, though it's Sith origin might prove that wrong."

He still continued the spar, despite talking, swinging low at J'ktal's kneecaps.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:46:01 AM
"I will have to inspect mine for that feature," J'ktal replied as if he was simply making conversation.

Sage's blade was simple enough to jump, and as he did so he snapped out a quick kick to his shoulder before landing at the ready to defend again.

"Shall we switch to that mode if possible? I have no desire to harm you, Master Hazzard."

Sage Hazzard
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:43:07 PM
Sage smiled, stepping back, glancing at his shoulder.

"Mine's already on it."

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:09:43 AM
Noting that Sage was going to give him a moment, J'ktal took a step abck as well and shut off his lightsaber before lookign at the controls.

Nothing was labeled, of course, though there was a small protected switch next to the on button, so he experimentally flicked it and then activated the saber once more. It hummed back to life as if nothing had changed, but he did notice that it was not emitting near as much heat as it had before. Testing to see if his chance experiment worked, he tapped the blade tip against the floor, and noticed it did not pierce the ground, only blackening it a little if he held it there too long.

"It seems mine is a better blade than I had bargained for," the Death-Shadow mused before pulling it back upright. "Shall we continute with just a spar, or are there certain lessons genrerally tought to a first-time student on the lightsaber, Master Hazzard?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:54:09 AM
"Well, it does depend on the swordsman's experience. If he already knows how to handle a sword, there's usually not much to tell. Unless of course you're talking about the more mystic properties of the weapon. Just try to remember that the slightest guidance with your hands will control the blade. That fact can be your ally if you use it correctly."

Sage charged in again, swinging high and quick.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:25:22 AM
From the movement of the rest of his body, J'ktal could tell where he would strike, and so he whirled his own weightltess balde up to block as he pivoted, then spinning on one footpaw and blockign two more strikes out of instinct, then dealing out two of his own, finding them easily blocked.

He posessed finesse with the blade, but not grace, and that was what cost him any advantage. It was so foreign, so unnatural. Even with his trainign he had difficulty wrapping his brain around the physics of fighting with such a weapon. And so, he found himself on the retreating end of the duel, a place he was not comfortable being. Hoping he could distract Sage enough to at least bring himself to even ground, the Death-Shadow questioned, "You said something about 'Mystic Properties', Master Hazzard. What did you mean by that?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:06:18 AM
EDIT: DOUBLE POST

Sage Hazzard
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:06:30 AM
Sage still swung at J'ktal as he talked.

"Well, the belief is that when constructing a sabre, the Force is used to combine the parts. Alone the parts will function, but they work seprately. The Force is used to bind the part together through the Force, creating a new whole instead of a smattering of parts. It's true I suppose, though I've never truely researched it. When I create a sabre, I do use the Force to guide my hand. That's essensially all it takes to bind the parts together as well. Though I've never been sure if that is what takes place."

He was distracted momentairly, but his insticts acted for him. He flowed through the Force and thought wasn't needed for him to know what to do.

Now, with his full concentration back, he swept in low with the sabre, than reversed it mid-way to strike high.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:51:17 AM
J'ktal adjusted with a sidestep and brought his saber up in an arc that followed Sage's. He had to admit, Sage was very good, one of the best he had gone against; though that could have something to do with his own unfamiliarity with the weapon. Whatever it was, J'kta; felt himself losing very slowly.

Questioning Sage didn't work, perhaps flattery might. As he parried several quick strikes, the mongoose nodded and said, "You are quite good, Master Hazzard. One would think you spent all your time here practicing with that blade of yours." He ducked quickly to avid getting his head lopped off, then lashed out at waist level, only to have Sage dodge. "I spent many years perfecting my technique, but I must say that fencing seems to come more naturally to you."

There was no advantage to be had by any part of the room, so he moved about as the need came, dodging here and advancing there, whipping his red blade about like a fencer's foil. Ever so slowly it was becoming more comfortable, and he was learning the motions it took to successfully weild such a weapon, but the Death-Shadow knew that it would take much practice before he could consider himself competant with it.

That much was drilled into his head as he accidently pressed the off button on his own saber, and his pink eyes went wide as his blade suddenly disappeared, leaving him no defense to an incoming blow.

It struck him full across the chest, and the gray mongoose stepped back and spat a curse. then glared at his saber and shook it. "Inferal weapon!" he shouted, "I should have been able to block that," he quite litereally growled through grit jaws as he rubbed his sore chest.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:33:17 AM
"It's not the weapon's fault. It obeyed your command. You pressed the off switch. If you were open the Force more, you'd of dodged the strike regardless. Have you ever considered letting yourself into your surroundings while fighting? Instead of staying in your head, reach out through the Force and feel the waves of time and movement."

He swung his sabre around in a hour glass.

"Come on, it has an on button too," he smiled, charging at J'ktal again.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:41:03 AM
Once he found the button, J'ktal ignited the saber once more just in time to deflect Sage's saber up and away as his opponent charged in, then brought his own blade back down in a reverse lunge jamming the practice blade into Sage's back. Had it been a live saber, the Jedi Master would have found hiimself run through.

Unsure if Sage would stop after a "kill shot" J''ktal readied his saber once more and turned to keep an eye on his opponent. Though he might not have been any good with the weapon, the Death-Shadow's training and experience were enough to make him a worthy opponent for most men with any weapon.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:57:03 AM
Sage laughed as he felt his back.

"Point goes to the Padawan," he said raising his sabre again. "Not dead yet though, even though I would be. Spar goes on. We both could use the practice," he said with a well intentioned wink.

He charged in again, but was smarter this time. He had more respect for the Death-Shadow's abilities now, not thinking of him like a normal Padawan any longer. His strength and subsequent speed was more evident as he weapon seemed to blur in his hand. Sage wasn't as agile as say, Helenias, who he was recently bested by, but with strength did come speed. Especially since it came from the Force more than from muscle mass.

He swung low to the left, blocked. Back over to the low right, blocked. Up high, over to the left low, then up high on that side again, blocked. Then, low blocked, then high. The blade was becoming more and more unseeable as it blurred through the air. Sage broke the pattern and went with another low left swing.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 13th, 2003, 02:11:05 AM
The sounds that echoed in J'ktal's ears were hard to place, anmd foreign noises or a fight, but the humm and buzz of the lightsabers continued, and he weilded his lightsaber much like a real saber, only one which weighed less than a rapier.

Much like a man at a poker game who does not focus on winning the first few rounds, the Death-Shadow watched his opponent, and studied his every move. Already he could pick out telltake signs of future attack, and J'ktal blocked, he watched for holes to hit next time. When the blade became hard to see, he focused on the handle, able to accurately guess the size and position of the blade form that alone. Then that alone was not enough, so he watched Sage's entire arm, watched the cloth on his shirt fold and wrinkle as he moved it, and watched the tendons on his arm and hand pop out and flex when he made an attack. From those observations he was able to predict attacks, and formed an uncanny defense, even as Sage used the Force to enhance his speed.

That was not to say that the duel was simple or routine for J'ktal. It was quite the opposite. Such a level of concentration was difficult to maintain, and he found himself struggling to keep up. Out of sheer luck did he decide to block low again and foil Sage's attack, then let loose three swings of his own to no great avail. The saber form was failing him, so he switched to one more suited to that of a katana, and fortunaltely his saber handle was long enough to accomodate such a style.

Using both arms, J'ktal sculpted his movements rather than swing them about, and his blocks were solid, albeit slower then they had been before. It was his hope to simply endure the assault until he could find a guarenteed shot at Sage again. Anything otherwise would be folly.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2003, 02:53:34 AM
Inexplicibly, Sage jumped back, trying to incite a quick lunge or off balance block, then brought his sabre quickly overhead, stepping into it with his right foot.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 13th, 2003, 03:18:01 AM
So bold a move must have meant that J'ktal had been growing close to an opening. Just as Sage backed off, so did J'ktal, not about to fall into a trap.

A rising block was enough to counter Sage's next attack, followed by two side blocks. The fighting was fast and furious, and also very close quartered.

Finally, J'ktal saw his chance. Letting one paw off his saber, he reached out and grabbed Sage's shirt, yanking it up over his face while kicking his legs out from under him, then fell with him to the floor, laying his blade across his cloth-covered throat.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 14th, 2003, 02:05:28 AM
Sage smiled underneath his shirt.

"Well done. But look behind you."

Sage sabre was floating in the air, behind J'ktal's head, sabre inches away from his skull.

"Draw. Round three."

He pushed J'ktal off of him with the Force, calling his sabre to him as well.

"Try to use what I've teached you already. Sense your surroundings, use them to your advantage."

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 15th, 2003, 02:51:12 AM
The Force Shove was a new experience to J'ktal, but he stumbled to his feet quickly.

"My surroundings," J'ktal echoed, already circling in a low, ready stance. Though his head did not hardly move, and his eyes were almost alwys locked on Sage's, the Death-Shadow scanned the room for objects that he might be able to use. Practice weapons would eb too cliche, and too expected, and many of the other items were small and would be ineffective. Finding little of use, his attention shifted back to his glowing saber, and back to his opponent.

Textbook was quite possibly the best method to describe J'ktal's attack. High to low strike, followed by several mid ranges, and a few interspersed low lashes all found themselves blocked and parried. For a short while he squared off against his opponent, knowing he would be foiled at every turn.

IT was his hope that Sage would not focus on other things, as J'ktal was trying something very different, and hoping it would work.

If all went as planned, Sage would find that his boots had a great desire to remain affixed to the floor for quite some time, or at least as long as J'ktal could keep focused.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:22:18 AM
How rudimentary. Suddenly J'ktal's skill dropped to that of an ametuer's. What was--

As Sage stepped--or rather tried to step--back as he blocked a sabre swing, he found his feet unable to move. He fell on the floor instantly, his feet still not giving.

"Wh--Excellent!"

He quickly found the trick. A wonderful display of ingenuity.

Sage threw his sabre at J'ktal, hoping it'd distract him enough to compose himself.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:25:35 AM
Physics and life geometry were two subjects tought in great detail to a Death-Shadow, for simply knowing the hows and whys of physical reactions could often save one's life, and end somebeast else's.

J'ktal reached out with his own saber, catching Sage's by the blade and tossing it lightly into the air as if he were playing a game od Devil Sticks. It fell neatly into his left paw, and he dropped forward, one saber brought to bear against Sage, the other held in a defensive position.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:44:06 AM
Sage pulled his legs up, ripping out of the boots, his strength showing through the feat. J'ktal couldn't hope to stop Sage's leg strength, as it flowed through the Force as well, though more powerfully due to years of practice. He tumbled backwards and got to a crouch, narrowly missing J'ktal's atatck. He readied himself for J'ktal's next move.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:00:21 AM
With a graceful flick, J'ktal spun Sage's saber and tossed it back to him as he did so, holing the handle would come at an approipriate angle for the Master to catch it. Two blades against one was no fun at all.

"Interesting trick, Master Hazzard," the gray mongoose nodded to him as he started to pivot on his front footpaw and spun, swinging a hard slash at waist level toward his opponent.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:34:59 AM
Sage jumped up and sent his legs out, though they didn't make contact with J'ktal. He pulled them up and back, flipping backwards though standing in the same position. The blade had passed under him.

He went to the ground fluidly from his landing. He used his sabre guard against a backswing, keeping it out towards the passed sabre, and launched a raising kick toward's J'ktal's stomach. The Padawan had gained his respect, so he would earn his own.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:52:32 AM
As Sage mounted his kick, J'ktal responded by throwing his left arm out and catching his paw under Sage's ankle. The mongoose leaned back as he then gripped andz pushed up, forching Sage to perform a near-vertical version of the splits. As he did so, he shut off his saber and lashed out a punch with the handle, aiming hard for the inside of Sage's thigh, about an inch away from the universal "no hit" zone."

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:34:02 AM
Sage let his left foot off the ground and kicked at J'ktal's right thigh. With his weight now off the ground, all of his weight would be put on the foot that was intended for J'ktal's leg.

As he did this, he swung in his sabre at J'ktal's head area.

J'ktal might of very well connected before Sage did and might of connected still even if Sage struck first but atleast Sage wouldn't be at the sole disadvantage.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:38:44 AM
The low kick caught J'ktal full on, just after the mongoose nailed Sage in the inner thigh, causing what should have been a lot of pain and a massive charlie horse.

Sage's kick swept J'ktal's leg out from under him, sending his bodt down and to the right, automatically negating any effect Sage's saber swign would have had for his head was already on the way down. He did manage to keep his grip on the man's ankle, though, and as the mongoose fell, he took Sage down with him, and in a most uncomfortable manner at that. He hadn't the time to re-ignite his saber before both of them smacked the florr with their shoulders, and it quickly became a fight to see who could get up first.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:44:43 AM
Sage groaned.

"Oh, man. You're not a lightweight hitter are you?"

Sage saw his sabre across the floor but soon forgot about it as he notice J'ktal's wasn't ignited. Ah, so now he could use a little inventive telekinisis himself. J'ktal would soon find his on button wouldn't push down, thus the blade couldn't get ignited.

Before J'ktal noticed this and attatched the cause to Sage, the Jedi Master had to recover. Had to regain himself enough to focus more than on simple telekinisis. Had to focus enough to stand.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:09:24 AM
His own leg sore, J'ktal slipped while getting up, tumbling back down to be with Sage again. "Not in the least, Master Hazzard!" He grunted as he grabbed Sage's shirt front in both paws, yankign him close and delivering a jarring headbutt to his forehead. It would hopefully serve to keep Sage from focusing too hard, but it also made J'ktal's head swim. There was a reason he didn't pull that maneuver often: it hurt.

Groaning, he shoved himself away and staggered to a stand, uncermoniously rubbing his forehead while he waited to see what turn the spar would take next.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:00:08 AM
It hurt, yet J'ktal hurt as well. Adding to that, he hadn't ignited his sabre even though he could for the few moments Sage was unable to clearly think. Now that advantage was not with J'ktal any longer.

Now regaining his hold on J'ktal's on button, Sage got to his feet. The Jedi Master prided himself on being able to withstand pain, to ignore it, to overcome it. It took some doing, but it was working. He launched himself into J'ktal, attempting a tackle, knowing J'ktal couldn't use his sabre even if he wished to.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:21:21 AM
J'ktlal was seeing quadruple. The jar from the headbut had thrown his optical mechanisms out of whack, seperating the vision in both eyes slightly, ans also activating his night and thermal vision. Because of his utter lack of clarity, Sage caught him full on with the tackle, throwing the moogoose uncerimoniously to the ground once more.

As he fell, he tried to turn his saber back on, but it seemed to be no use. No matter how many times he hit the button, it would not turn on. So, there were a few uses for a sword whose blade had been broken, and a blunt weapon was one of them. The butt of the saber's long hangle was hard, reinfiorced as if it had been meant to deliver blows, ans so as Sage floored him, J'ktal whipped his arm down, aiming the hilt to jam into Sage's side, hopefully into his kidney. Even though a man can learn to block pain, sudden trauma like that would be very hard to ignore, and could possibly give the Nehantite time for his vision to sort out the problems it was having.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:44:17 AM
Sage could indeed block enormous pain, but he had to feel it first. And the worse the pain, the more dibilitating it was, thus the harder it was for him to focus enough to block it out. This problem arrised now, as he rolled off of J'ktal to clutch his back, he tried to regain composure but found it most difficult.

Sage could actually stop all pain from occuring to him, stop his nerves from even sending the pain to his brain. But that took concentration, and had to be set out from the start, it couldn't be whipped up mid battle unless there was a lag that provided rest.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:57:34 AM
J'ktal's vision hadn't shorted out so badly in over a year, and it was beginning to give him a headache atop the one he already had from the headbutt. It wasn't clearing, and the green layering over thermal imagery was enough to nearly drive one mad. It was as if someone had smeared vaseline on your glasses and everyone was wearing dayglo orange. Oh, and you had a lazy eye as well.

From what he could see, or at least make out, Sage was still on the floor, and his blow had found a proper target. J'ktal would have simply shut his left eye, but that could give his disadvantage away. Only the weak show disadvantage. Letting the concept of his lightsaber slip out of his mind, the spar had fallen to the level of a pit grudge match, and J'ktal excelled on the wrestling floor.

Using the center of the four visions of Sage he saw, the mongoose grabbed his leg and tried to fold it back over the Jedi, pinning him to the floor and groping for his kneck to manage a choke hold. But while he did so, he left himself wide open for counterattack from Sage's arms. He was banking on the thought that Sage would yeild, and they would be able to start over.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 18th, 2003, 12:53:35 AM
The pain was more so because of his back. It strained those muscles as well as his leg muscles.

However, the Jedi Master could look past his pain enough to summon his tremendous strength. What J'ktal might of had in wrestling skill, Sage had the advantage in brute strength. To the point where J'ktal could not even hope to compare in strength, nor could anyone.

He brought his knee down tight, locking J'ktal's arm in his leg. J'ktal was doing a good job of keeping the leg up, but Sage swung it over across his body. As J'ktal's upper body went with the motion slightly, Sage used the same side hand to backhand him across the mouth.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 18th, 2003, 01:01:35 AM
Sage's arm connected a solid blow to his muzzle, rocking his jaws together and foiling any attack the mongoose was working on. However, it did clear his vision, mostly. His thermal imaging was still active, but at least it was in line with his standard eyesight.

Though rolled to the side, the Death-Shadow somehow kept his grip on Sage's leg, and with his saber handle he pounded away at the same kidney he had struck before, hoping Sage would open hisknee-hold on his arm and let them seperate to gain bearing once more. What had begun as an elegant duel had turned into a brute match rolling around on the training room floor.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:01:39 AM
Sage released his hold and rolled away, stopping in a crouch favoring his injured back.

He called his sabre to him and ignited it at once, releasing his hold on J'ktal's sabre at the same time.

"I like you J'ktal. My kind of Padawan."

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:54:50 AM
With his thermal vision still enabled, Sage's saber ignitoon nearly blinded him in his left eye, the white heat being too much for the limited sensors to handle. He recoiled suddenly, shutting his left eye. Even if it did show weakness, there was no way he could continue in such discomfort.

Raising his saber-paw up to rub his jaw where Sage had struck him, J'ktal shook his head and replied, "Thank you, Master Hazzard; it has been some time since I last had a good challenge."

He then moved his left paw to join his right on the saber hilt and tried the button once more, glad to see the red blade activate. "I do not mean to hurt you, Master, but you do realize that I cannot pull my punches and still be able to learn."

Sage Hazzard
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:06:05 AM
"I would expect nothing less than your best, J'ktal."

Sage charged in, thrusting his sabre in instead of swinging it, directed at J'ktal's mid section. He kept his left foot behind and his right foot slightly, slightly forward. His legs were spread equally apart, the stab powered only by Sage's arms, which made it easier to parry with his body but leave room to counter.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:38:05 AM
Monocular vision causes a greatly detrimental effect on any kind of working condition. With stereo vision, depth percetion is possible, and one can locate items and movement very easily, knowing exactly where each item is in relation to you. But when one of those video inputs is taken away, say by injury or closing one's eye, or sudden blindness, one still thinks they can tell exactly where things are, and that is their first mistake.

The mind attempts to then guage didstance on memory and the sizes of the objects you see. IT often compensates rather well, but never can duplicate the same depth perception. J'ktal was more than aware of that, and fighting with one eye shut was becoming quite difficult indeed.

Sage's lunge was deflected easily, but gaging his distance as J'ktal sidestepped past him was nearly impossible, and thus J'ktal was unable to whip out a counterstrike. Back and forth they went with J'ktal struggling to find an opening using just his right eye. The lack of vision on his left side was devastating, but at least his training with his other senses, and training in armed and unarmed combat was helping him stay toe-to-toe with Sage, though he could feel his own defeat coming quickly. For once he looked forward to it, as it would give him a chance to pause and correct his cybernetic vision error.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:48:39 AM
J'ktal's vision imparement was an upper hand for Sage, though he didn't relise that. However he did observe J'ktal's lowered skill.

He switched his sword to a one handed right grip. He kept the point towards the ground and punched his arm to his left, pivoting on his right foot. The blade intersected J'ktal's blade and blocked it momentarily. The block was relieved only when Sage had fully spun, placing his left foot strategicly behind J'ktal's left foot. With the Force, he was pushed back, over the foot, Meeting the offbalance J'ktal was Sage's right knee.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:41:53 AM
As he fell backwards, J'ktal held his right arm out straight, his blade perpindicular to the floor, just in case Sage should try another strike.

The Death-Shadow hit the floor flat, almost as if he were a manaquiun who had been toppled. His vision was still very obstructed, and it appeared he would actually need to re-set his optical computer to remedy the problem.

Sage was good, there was no denying that, but a Death-Shadow was second to very few. J'ktal had a perfect defense, complete with another takedown, but he was never able to implement it. As he kicked up to a stand, a small ararm chirped in his ear. Immediately, he shut down his saber and called the spar to a close by raising a paw, his palm out in peaceful defense. He was recieving a message, but his visual impairment made it imppossible to read, so he placed a paw behind his ear and spoke, "Switch to audio," aloud.

His master was more than likely confused as to what was happening, for the alarm would have been just barely audible outside of a foot's range of J'ktal's ear, and the message was almost impossible to decipher to anyone other than the mongoose. Once it was played through, J'ktal clipped his lightsaber to his belt and bowed to Sage.

"I am sorry, Master Hazzard, but I must go; I have little choice in the matter. Do not wait up for me, I will be returning quite late, I believe. I look forward to continuing this match at a later time," he said, though his left eye still shut. His true reason for needing to leave was nigh impossible to tell, and his face and body gave away nothing.

Sage Hazzard
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:39:45 AM
Sage backed off, questioningly raising an eyebrow.

"You can't tell me more?"

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:42:16 AM
"No," was all J'ktal replied as he headed towards the door.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:58:55 AM
Sage was beside him in microseconds.

"Did I hear no?"

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:22:26 AM
"What you heard, I do no know," J'ktal said as he continued walking. "But, that was what I said."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:26:16 AM
Sage didn't walk beside him anymore. He stood in one place.

"Why not?" he said, in as stern a voice as he could conjur.

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:34:22 AM
Pivoting to a stop, J'ktal stared Sage down, his cold pink eye unwavering. "Because right now I do not know more. I will know more later, but it is imperetive that I keep myself on schedule," he said, not budging one bit, or backing down from his master. Though he was now a Padawan, he had not relinquished his old life, nor would he when there was important work to be done.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:12:51 AM
Sage kept the staring match on for a few seconds than nodded.

"Very well. I'll expect you back here in two days, to the exact time, for training. Carry on."

He wasn't getting off that easy. Sage palmed his comm link. He'd notify Chewnakka to power up the ship and discreetly lock onto J'ktal's. If he wouldn't tell him, he'd find out for himself. He was about to follow his own Padawan.