PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo

Dutchy
May 30th, 2003, 11:59:57 AM
I'm a huge Pixar fan. Please share your thoughts on this new movie here. :)

Curious how good it'll do, box office-wise. I guess it'll open $60M+ish.

sirdizzy
May 30th, 2003, 12:01:30 PM
Nope not going to see it, pixar has sucked since they got bought out by disney

they are sellouts looking for the quick cash

Mu Satach
May 30th, 2003, 12:06:30 PM
Sunday Matinee for me. :)

Dutchy
May 30th, 2003, 12:08:50 PM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
Nope not going to see it, pixar has sucked since they got bought out by disney

Which was when?

they are sellouts looking for the quick cash

Which movies do you watch?

There are indeed a lot of movies out there that are sheer cash cows, but the Pixar ones are not among those. They are, IMO, creative masterpieces, each and every one of them.

Jinn Fizz
May 30th, 2003, 02:32:52 PM
Sunday matinee for me as well, along with my father...ever since Toy Story, he and I have had a tradition of going to see these types of movies together :). I'll definitely post my thoughts here after seeing it. It's getting very very good reviews, so it looks like we're in for a treat.

And sirdizzy, I'm confused...Pixar wasn't bought out by Disney, as far as I know...they were a division of Disney, and I believe they are actually in the process of separating from Disney now.

And I dunno about anything from Pixar that's sucked...I mean, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., now Finding Nemo...which one has sucked? I'm confused. o_O

JediBoricua
May 30th, 2003, 05:55:06 PM
I thought that Pixar was simply hired by Disney to do movies. I believe they are their own studio with their own artists, execs, etc.

They were a branch of ILM, then they were bought by one of it's founder, then Disney came along (correct me if I'm wrong). They have never been direct Disney property, right?

Anyway, I'm loving the trailers and the reviews, but it doesn't open here this week, crap.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 30th, 2003, 06:04:52 PM
I believe after Finding Nemo Pixar will be free of Disney (they had like a 6 movie contract with Disney) and will be producing under only the Pixar name.

I could also be, full of crap. :)

ReaperFett
May 30th, 2003, 06:09:20 PM
Think you're right :)

Figrin D'an
May 30th, 2003, 06:17:49 PM
Pixar has never been owned by Disney. They were contracted to Disney to do a certain number of films. The company began as a division of ILM, as JB said, and was then purchased by Steve Jobs (yes, that Steve Jobs). They produced exclusively short films and did commercial work until the early 90's, when they agreed to work with Disney to produce three full length feature films. Later on, the deal was reworked to included more feature length films that Disney would distribute. That deal is still in place. Pixar is it's own publicly traded company.

Their software engineers also are responsible for RenderMan, one of the greatest 3D digitial animation tools ever created.

I think they're work has been spectacular. I want to see Finding Nemo, but I'm not sure when I'll have an opportunity to.

Rognan Dar
May 30th, 2003, 09:00:29 PM
Ok, I saw it yeah. But it would have been better if I didn't have someone in my lap, or moving around in the isle. My whole family went, except for the oldest who is in pre-bootcamp and father who is New York. It was a fun family activity. Anyways, back to the movie.

I, personly, thought it was GREAT! I mean, it was better then great. It was SUPER. All the fish thing was all really done well. And it had some good humour(spa?). I would recrumend it.

I love all of Pixar's work. Like Jinn Fizz said, I dont know of anything they made that wasn't good. I love Toy Story 1 and 2. Bugs Life is great. Finding Nemo is like Bugs life but with fish. It just works out like that, like all the bugs are different but they get along and such, same with this movie.

Well......Thats all I have to say about it.... Injoy :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 30th, 2003, 09:10:15 PM
Anyone saying Pixar sucks has no taste at all. Pixar bloody well rules and not a thing they have done sucks or even looked like sucking. I cant wait to see Finding Nemo. all yu have to say is Pixar and I'll be there.

sirdizzy
May 31st, 2003, 12:26:27 AM
hey i loved Toy Story and Toy Story 2

but bugs life was boring, monsters inc was ok and funny

but ice age sucked, it was the same hackneyed joke over and over

i may still see finding nemo not sure

Taylor Millard
May 31st, 2003, 12:35:49 AM
Ice Age wasn't Pixar, it was Blue Sky Studios.

Dae Jinn
May 31st, 2003, 01:13:27 AM
I loved Bug's Life! It was good! I didn't really like Toy Story, but all the other one's I've seen have been good. I loved Monsters Inc. :)

Jinn Fizz
May 31st, 2003, 07:59:27 AM
A Bug's Life was probably Pixar's "weakest" production, but it was still a lot of fun. I loved Francis the ladybug and Slim the stick bug, plus Kevin Spacey as Hopper was great. And, as usual, the animation was stunning.

Monsters Inc. rocked the house, as far as I'm concerned. Boo was probably Pixar's most beautiful creation to date, and the big finale with everybody riding the doors like a big rollercoaster was terrific. I was really torn when it was up against Shrek for the new animated film Oscar, because both were great. Personally, I wish it had been a tie and both movies could have shared the award.

And Ice Age, although it isn't a Pixar movie, is still one I'd highly recommend. I liked it a lot. :)

If anybody has become a sellout looking for the quick cash, it's Disney, with their continued raiding of their treasury of animated films and coming up with trash like Jungle Book 2, Cinderella 2, Peter Pan 2...you get the picture. C'mon, Disney, give it a rest already, will ya? :grumble

Dutchy
May 31st, 2003, 10:45:45 AM
$20.6M estimated for its opening Friday. That's quite a bit higher than Monsters, Inc.'s first Friday: $17.4M. Monsters ended the weekend with $62.6M. Can Nemo beat that? Looks like it. That would be a surprise, I think. Monsters had a huge Fri-Sat increase, don't know if Nemo'll do the same. Then again, it has a lead.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 1st, 2003, 04:54:12 PM
$70 million estimated for the weekend, not too shabby!

I liked it a lot...not as a good as the Toy Story movies or Monsters Inc., but heck, Pixar never makes a bad movie as far as I'm concerned. The only weakness was in the middle section, when they could have cut out maybe 10 minutes or so to tighten the movie up. But overall, it was visually stunning (no surprise there!), the voice acting was superb (Ellen DeGeneres as Dorry was an especially big hit with the audience I saw it with), lots of funny stuff, and of course, a wee bit o' sentimentality to leave you going "aaawwww" at the end of the movie. Overall, I'd give it an extremely solid B+ rating.

One thing I noted that I thought was pretty neat...I thought it was a really nice touch that Nemo had his "lucky fin." I mean, here he was, with a physical imperfection, a birth defect, really, yet he was a hero in the movie capable of doing a lot of positive things. Maybe I'm looking at the movie through adult eyes, but Nemo could be a type of role model to children who also have some kind of disability. Maybe I'm overthinking things, maybe I'm oversentimental, but I thought it was a cool. :D

The short before the movie, Knick Knack, was lots of fun too. And of course we got an extremely brief glimpse of Pixar's next movie, The Incredibles, which will be out in the fall of 2004. It got a lot of laughs when I saw it today. :)

Dutchy
Jun 1st, 2003, 05:09:58 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
$70 million estimated for the weekend, not too shabby!

Indeed! Largest opening for an animated movie ever.

The short before the movie, Knick Knack, was lots of fun too.

That's an old one. I love it, very funny. Great music too. I hope and think they'll put it on the Nemo DVD like they did with The Birds on the Monsters DVD. :)

sirdizzy
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:36:18 PM
honestly i though the movie was mediocre and so-so

Jinn Fizz
Jun 1st, 2003, 07:53:38 PM
Oh well :(. At least the audience I saw it with was very entertained, and quite a few of them applauded when the credits started to roll.

Ah, I also caught one of those typical Pixar in-jokes...when we first see Nemo in the aquarium in the dentist's office, there's a quick shot of the waiting room. Sitting on the floor of the waiting room, among other toys, is a Buzz Lightyear doll :D.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2003, 07:54:24 PM
I am dying to see it. :cry

Charley
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:29:45 PM
I'd rather see Bruce Almighty, but this is not far back on my list.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:39:15 PM
I'd rather see ...er...nothing!

Someone take me :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2003, 09:03:42 PM
I want to see it to, if I was near you LD I take you :) I might go see it myself next weekend.

sirdizzy
Jun 1st, 2003, 09:13:23 PM
although i will probably get mauled by uou zealots here ya go my opinions in full

Finding Nemo (2003)

Comedy, Kids/Family and Animation 1 hr. 41 min
MPAA Rating: G for General Audiences.
Release Date: May 30th, 2003.
Starring: Alexander Gould, Erica Beck, Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Geoffrey Rush
Directed by: Andrew Stanton

Marlin is a clown fish and he has had a rough life so far. After moving to a new neighborhood along the Great Barrier Reef he loses his wife and all his children except one Nemo. This may explain why he is so protective of Nemo and is afraid to let him to do anything for himself. That is why on the first day of school for Nemo tragedy befalls him. In a dare because he is mad at his overprotective father Nemo swims to close to a boat and is captured by a diver who takes him back to his aquarium in Sydney in the office of a dentist. Now Marlin who is distraught and is not about to give up on his son’s lost is bound to find him. But it is a long journey and he does not even know where to begin. But with the aid of a forgetful fish named Dory he is about to have the adventure of his life as he will outrun danger from ferocious sharks, a swarm of jellyfish, and even be aided a long the way by a band of sea turtles. All the while Nemo with the help of his fellow aquarium fish plots a plan of his own to escape and be reunited with his father and to try and make it safely home again.

I don’t know why I didn’t find this movie more entertaining as I just seemed to trudge through the movie not sure what I was suppose to get out of it. It seemed like the children of theatre just loved the movie, while I on the other hand found it to be dumbed down and even boorish at times. I have enjoyed recent movies like Shrek and Toy Story where they seem to try to not only entertain the children seeing but also to throw fun little jokes out to the older audiences as well keep them just as excited about the movie. I think I would blame Disney for such a recent tread, as they seem not to care to try and please their entire audiences and just go for niches. Pixar usually does a really good job at coming up with not only stunning animation but also a very good story to go along with the movie, but not this time. This time while the animation was there it just seemed like the story was not. The story and plot seemed to be so simple that it was hard to become enthralled by it as it just uses one clichéd storyline after another rather then being inventive and entertaining. I am not saying the movie is horrible I am just saying it just didn’t not go out of its way to be anything more than mediocre and so-so. And that is exactly what the movie is mediocre, you may enjoy it but I was craving for something more like the masterpieces of Pixar’s past. The kids will love it though as it is geared for them and will probably be one of those movies parents are forced to watch over and over again but once was enough for me
2.5 stars out of 5

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:54:18 PM
saw it today and liked it well enough, the adults and kids all seemed to like it in the audience I was with....

Abagael Zellan
Jun 9th, 2003, 02:43:19 PM
Saw this one after Bruce Almighty (didn't make me laugh as much as I expected) and I absolutely love it! I'am a huge fan of Disney movies and this one topped even 'Lilo and Stitch' for me.

"INTERVENTION!"

It was wonderful :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 11th, 2003, 06:14:07 PM
My gosh I loved it. :D Nigel was hilarious. As was Bruce. :crack

Fish are friends! Not food!!

Jinn Fizz
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:34:39 PM
No surprise here, kids are wanting to buy clown fish! :)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/news_e36edae146b2f08400a9.html

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 08:16:32 PM
always happens...*remembers the dalmatian craze with the movies*

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:17:24 PM
In the credits, if you watch them all there is Mike from Monster's Inc swimming by with scuba equipment on . Its pretty darn cute.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:26:29 PM
neat...I only watched the breakout one....

"That was the shortest red light I've ever seen!"-Peach

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:24:57 AM
That was hilarious. Later, in the actual credits, you see all the aquarium fish swimming free. Its great. Plus all the other characters as well, and Mike. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:32:27 AM
IT DOESNT COME OUT TO AUG26!!!!! THIS SUCKS!

When every other movie now becoming max release world wide.. WHY NOT THIS ONE????????

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:36:53 AM
Because secretly, Disney hates Australia. ;)

Dutchy
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:09:56 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
IT DOESNT COME OUT TO AUG26!!!!! THIS SUCKS!

When every other movie now becoming max release world wide.. WHY NOT THIS ONE????????

Overhere it opens NOVEMBER 27th. :\

Dutchy
Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:50:06 PM
Where will Finding Nemo's boxoffice run end?

6 Jurassic Park Uni. $357,067,947 1993
7 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $339,751,253 2002

Prolly between these two.

CMJ
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:49:42 PM
I agree....beating TTT seems probable now. I don't see it getting that close to JP though.

Dutchy
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:00:36 PM
7 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $339,789,881 2002
8 Finding Nemo Dis. $338,746,985 2003

It's 1 million behind TTT now. With making just shy of half a million a weekend, it still has a chance of beating it.

I hope it will.

Go, Nemo, gooooo!

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:03:32 PM
Ahhh, but TTT is coming back for a few weeks before ROTK, so I think in the end the fish will lose

Cant believe I didnt do as I intented after seeing Finding Nemo for myself.......

DIZZY WAS WRONG. Finding Nemo completely ruled. I utterly loved it and I think it was up there with Toy Story.

"Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!"

"Dude, you have some serious thrill issues...."

Laughed? I damn near choked. Oh and the animation was superb. There was also two shorts - the trailer for The Incredibles (which was brilliant) and the short of the snowman and in the tradition of Pixar, was hysterical. They have animated shorts down to an art form :D

Droo
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:40:23 AM
Finding Nemo is hilarious. I loved it and I wish I could speak whale!

Sejah Haversh
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:21:08 AM
I really need to see this movie. I wasn't able to catch it when it was in theatres.

Yes, Mitch the animation nut missed an animated movie. Hey, it happens...

Master Yoghurt
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:53:00 AM
Nemo is definitely one of the better Hollywood style animated movies in recent years. The animation has improved quite a bit, and the jokes are not too bad. Its up there ranking with Shrek, Ice Age, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc etc.

There are a few things that starts to bother me about these movies though. Like always its focusing on a young audience. Yeah, I know these are family movies and the production costs have to be earned back somewhere. However it would be nice with something that feels more like a regular shot camera movie with realistic characters and a real story, except its animated. The storytelling technique is not evolving that much from what we have seen before. The major difference as always being better animation and 3D visuals. I would love a good story with a heart. Something which actually inspires the mind rather than what I have seen hundreds of times before.. but oh well.

(It has to be said though, I am rather biased to what sparks my attention. Being a fan of Japanese anime, I'd rather have Miyazaki or Manga any day over Pixar or Disney)

Overall though, Nemo is pretty good, and there is not so much bad that can be said about it. My above critisism is mainly a matter of personal preference. It is quite funny, and there are some great animation and dialogue. Its for kids of all ages. I'd give it 4/5 and a thumbs up :)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 29th, 2003, 07:29:48 PM
Then wait for the more adult oriented The Incredibles, which is Pixar's next movie.

All you have to say is that it's made by Pixar and I'm there.

Dutchy
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:18:13 PM
7 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $339,789,881 2002
8 Finding Nemo Dis. $339,615,775 2003

Nemo still hasn't caught up on Bored of the TTT.