PDA

View Full Version : Quay'Na Rakai (An Unordinary Recruitment)

Sage Hazzard
May 26th, 2003, 02:36:13 AM
Quay'Na Rakai recently PMed me asking if I would be her Master. She supplied me with a thread she had started to show her writing ability, so I would have something to help me decide. Well, I usually accept Padawans if they ask me specifically and she is a very good writer, so I've accepted. However, there's a problem involving her recruitment.

Her character is a character who is already with us, but has recently lost her Master. She's 19 and her Master died in a tragic accident, while she was with her. It's her first time back to the GJO since her death and she needs a new Master.

So, would it be acceptable for her to be recruited? It's just that posting in the recruitment center is a bit odd, as her character is already supposed to be with the GJO. Is there something she should do special, like perhaps post in the recruitment center but be asking for a new Master instead of being signed up, as a way to not disrupt her character's past but have her essencially(sp?) recruited in a way. Just looking for help, on her behalf. I instructed her to post in Arcan and ask for assistance on this matter, but I figured I should post something here too. :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 26th, 2003, 05:31:40 AM
:: scratches head ::

Why have I got the feeling I've seen this person before? I really have the feeling I should know exactly who it is. Someone I aint seen for a very long time......

, whatever she wants is totally fine (Secret grin) - I decided to have a bit of a chat and she seems quite good.

Navaria Tarkin
May 26th, 2003, 06:40:56 PM
????

Alpha
May 26th, 2003, 09:19:21 PM
Hmmm...? My mind just jumped to two distinct possibilities. :)

Zeke
May 26th, 2003, 10:17:59 PM
So...just like that eh? Care to explain WHY to us all, Marcus?

Sage Hazzard
May 26th, 2003, 10:18:02 PM
Well, hell... okay. The secret grin scares me... I thought she was new, she said she was, or gave the impression anyway. Hey, I'm wrong frequently, so I wouldn't be suprised. :lol

James Prent
May 28th, 2003, 10:35:53 PM
secret grin? SECRET GRIN!?

No secret grins around me! *runs off to bribe it out of him*

Figrin D'an
May 28th, 2003, 11:13:32 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
whatever she wants is totally fine (Secret grin) - I decided to have a bit of a chat and she seems quite good.

I believe some disclosure on this would be appropriate if an exception is going to be made.

Sage Hazzard
May 28th, 2003, 11:37:30 PM
Maybe only the admins should know, and then you guys report back your decision, if the person wishes to protect their privacy. Just a thought. :)

Figrin D'an
May 28th, 2003, 11:50:11 PM
I would agree that, at the minimum, this should be approved by the staff.

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2003, 12:03:54 AM
IF a person wishes to respect privacy, there is no discussion. It's just simply done. Example, if say Fire Hazzard apprached me and said she wished to come back, but didnt want anyone else knowing, can I help, then I would help and respect what she wanted. I wouldnt even tell other admins. Why should I? If it's not an infiltration issue but a privacy one, then I'll help preserve privacy. So, asking who or whatever isnt going to help or work.

I have a policy of fresh start - if they havent been banned, then I believe anyone can start afresh and not have their past revealed.

Basically, what was said was private, but from what I've found out about said person gives me confidence she can do as she requested.

I dont know who this person is exactly - I just know I've seen certain details before from somewhere that vaguely I remember. That is all.

Sage Hazzard
May 29th, 2003, 01:12:22 AM
Well, I think you're right. This isn't an infiltration issue, this is just a "should we let her bypass protocol"? It's not like she's RPing a super strong Jedi, who's highly trained. She just is with the GJO already, as a Padawan, who's at the same skill level as others. She's not going to GM and say she knows how to do everything already, because she had a Master in her history.

It seems Marcus doesn't even know if this used to be a RPer here, for certain. So this is a new person wanting to do something a bit "out of the box", and it's not very unreasonable.

I've actually already replied to her thread in the LQ, thinking she was accepted, by Marcus' go ahead. So I'm a bit stuck here. Should I proceed in taking her as my Padawan or does this matter need to be discussed further?

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2003, 01:25:55 AM
There is no discussion needed. We dont vote on issues that frankly, dont really affect the board. She's asked to do something a bit out of the ordinary, I've talked to here, found out she writes fan fiction, has her head screwed on and been quite impressed. Because of that, I considered her request, I see her as a good risk and thence, her request is approved, by me.

While at other boards decisions might need votes, here it does not. I would feel that things like this can be handled by one person. It is only when something is serious would there be discussion - but if a staff member acted first with reason, then that's fine by me - if there was no reason, they would have to answer to me and Morgan at the least (which would not be very pretty) and thankfully, that's never happened, nor needed to happen. Our team here is trustworthy, resposible and intelligent enough that I dont have to keep watch. While there might be the odd joke about it, GJO is a benevolent dictactorship. It works because most staff dont like using their powers. All I want is a nice quiet place where I can be at home, relaxed and not worry anout anything.

Thankfull, that's generally what we have. I much prefer just posting nonsense about Nude Rangers than smacking people down or restricting what they can do.

Sage Hazzard
May 29th, 2003, 01:34:57 AM
Okay, cool. Yeah, I was pretty impressed as well. Very polite for one, which is a wonderful thing all in itself. She's also a very good writer, very good. I was amazed she picked me as who she'd like as a Master. :lol

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2003, 01:37:26 AM
Actually, she's quite clearly lurked for a bit and is familiar with some of us in a lurking way. That always scores brownie points.

Navaria Tarkin
May 29th, 2003, 09:49:38 AM
I was curious about the situation and talked to Marcus briefly about it... I have no problems with it since, as stated, she is a padawan that is somewhat trained. I see no harm in that. Only the 'i think I know this person from somewhere' thing threw me lol

Pierce Tondry
May 30th, 2003, 05:03:10 PM
It threw everyone, Navvy, 'cause everyone round these parts is paranoid. :)

I'll admit I have certain suspicions, too, but those, like this issue itself, are matters of privacy.

James Prent
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:06:01 PM
paranoia paranoia...everyone is out to get me....

:uhoh

:)

Figrin D'an
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:36:24 PM
Very well... aside from being slightly annoyed, it appears to me this issue has been handled. Carry on.