PDA

View Full Version : A Padawan's Return

Quay'Na Rakai
May 25th, 2003, 09:36:01 PM
Returning to the Temple without her master had been one of the hardest things, nineteen-year-old Padawan Quay'Na Rakai had ever done.
The walls seemed to close in on her as she quietly made her way to the living quarters she had shared with her late Master Ira Valko.
With a 'thump' she dropped her baggage to the floor in front of the door.

How long had it been since they had been here? Five years, or so it seemed. She never really 'knew' anyone, never really had the chance. Ira seemed to want to whisk her off so she could become more in touch with her unique talent that brought her here in the first place.
Quay'Na's ability to communicate with animals.

This return and the explanation behind it, would truly be a difficult challenge for the young Padawan, but she also knew that day by day it would become easier.

With a deep cleansing breathe, she used her code key and opened the door. The room was dark as she picked up her belongings and walked in. She felt for the lights with her free hand, wishing that her other Force abilites were as easy to control. But, unfortunately, they weren't.

Once the lights were on, she looked around the solitude of the room.
It used to be a place of enjoyment, a place to take quiet study with her master, but now the silence echoed like a tomb. It was cold and unfriendly and utterly lonely.

She kept the door open and heard voices coming down the corridor. The evening meal was being served, but she hardly felt like eating.
She walked over the the computer terminal and ran her hand over it, it was overly dusty as was the rest of the room. But, it didn't really matter, she wouldn't be here for long.

The council would make sure of that, even if it were just to move back into a students dorm and maybe that would be for the best.
There were a lot of memories here, memories that ended with the death of her master.

Sage Hazzard
May 26th, 2003, 10:47:45 PM
Sage rubbed his hands together as he briskly walked down the hall. Mealtime. He enjoyed the food there almost as much as at Master Yoghurt's Bar and Grill. Though the two were drastically different from one another.

First on his agenda, as his stomach waited, was his newest Padawan. She wasn't aware of it but the council had assigned him that morning. The door was open.

"Knock--kno.." he spotted her, next to the computer terminal. "Greetings.." he searched his short term memory and found it before he looked foolish. "Ms. Rakai. Well, you'll need to start packing soon."

Quay'Na Rakai
May 27th, 2003, 04:42:51 PM
The sound of his voice jolted Quay'Na from her deep thoughts
Before she even realized who she was speaking to, the young Padawan turned and responded grimly. "I guess it's off to the student dorms..."

Quay'Na was taken aback as she saw the man behind the voice. It was obvious, without a doubt...he was a Jedi Master.

Oh, man! She thought immediately as she went into a respective bow. "Master, forgive me. I didn't mean to be rude." She apologized.

It was only then that she noticed her unfathomed appearance. Since she had just returned from Kabal, she hadn't had time to clean up and she hadn't expected any company.

Her Jedi attire was dirt smudged, grease stained and reeked of smoke from her former master's funeral. She had been forced to conduct the funeral by herself before she could return to the Temple.

As she returned to her normal stance, she apologized once more, rather embarrassed. "Please excuse my appearance, Master..."
She looked at him blankly as her hand subconsciously brushed against the two lightsaber's attached to her belt.

Sage Hazzard
May 29th, 2003, 01:43:57 AM
"Yeah, excuse mine too and we'll call it even."

He gestured to his Naboo flight jacket with short sleeved shirt and casual pants.

"So what's this about student dorms? Unless you like being kept up all night by loud music, non-stop hologame-a-thons, and the panty raids that I'm always hearing about, you'll stay with your Master or in an adjoining room atleast," he paused as he saw a look of non-recognition on her face, she was missing something he was saying, or thought he was insane. He was never good at reading people, despite his rank. "Oh wait, they didn't--yeah, they would leave that to me. I'm Sage, your Master as of this morning."

Quay'Na Rakai
May 29th, 2003, 08:04:46 PM
Quay'Na was stunned speechless for a brief moment. "Wow," she finally breathed. "I hadn't expected that. I figured that since I had just been able to make contact with the Temple a couple of days ago and explain the outcome of the poaching incident, that getting a new master would be next to none. Or at least be a while off. But, more than that, I just returned, literally."

A moment later, a high pitched squeak came from inside Quay'Na's baggage. "Agh! Jax!" she exclaimed and rushed over to it.

She ripped into it and dug around feriously and finally came out with a ferret. "Oh, Jax! I'm so sorry! You could've been squashed by all my junk."

Sage Hazzard
May 30th, 2003, 11:42:58 PM
"Well, the council knew I could take another Padawan, so they informed me. I accepted it."

He raised his eyebrow at the ferret.

"So, uh, that's your pet I guess. He doesn't have any weird native calls that will wake everyone up at night does he?"

Quay'Na Rakai
May 31st, 2003, 02:14:50 AM
The Padawan shook her head and smiled gently as the ferret climbed up the sleeve of her arm and flattened itself along her shoulders. "No...Master. It's very well trained. I was hoping that I could keep him, I got him from Master Ira for my birthday this year." She stood and looked at her new Master. "She thought that since I was so attuned to animals, I needed one."

Sage Hazzard
May 31st, 2003, 11:17:46 PM
"Well, I can't disagree with that logic. Just make sure it doesn't wander about the temple. We have many species here and some might think of it as a..." he was going to say 'snack' but that'd be a little sick, especially to the owner of the pet. "Just keep an eye on it."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 1st, 2003, 09:47:07 AM
Quay'Na nodded respectfully. "I will. Master." Master. It was hard to believe that this man she was now going to refer to was her new Master. But, it was nice to know that the council wanted her to continue her training in the footsteps of another master.

She glanced about the room, it had been home to her from time to time. "So, I suppose I need to clean out this room." That would be a start.

Quay'Na looked down at the lightsabers on her belt and unclipped one. "I brought Master Ira's lightsaber," she held the hilt out towards him. "I figured the council may want it back. And I also have her personal datapad, if you want to take a look at it. I'm sure my progress reports are in it. Not that, I've made a lot of progress over the years. But, still..." She was rambling now and felt her cheeks burn as she quickly looked away.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:28:21 AM
"I'll take the datapad, sure, but you keep the sabre. And this room in fact. It's not too far from my room, in fact it's only one room over. I'm sure I can arrange for it's ownership to pass to you, if you wish. I hate noisy neighbors, and the new ones always are. You aren't noisy now are you?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:07:02 PM
The Padawan shrugged with a grin as she placed her former master's sabre on a nearby table. "Only when Jax tries to run off with my braid in the mornings in his desperate attempt to get me up so I can let him out. Not a very pleasant experience to wake up too." She patted the ferret's small head and then looked back at Sage.

Quay'Na was beginning to feel more at ease with this new master. "I would like to stay here." She admitted contently as she went back to her bags and drew out a datapad.

"Here it is, I hope my progress reports aren't too bad." She held it out towards him.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:58:23 AM
He took it, winking. "Never underestimate yourself young woman, it's an overrated virtue."

He stashed it in his pocket. Reading it in front of her would hold no purpose but to intimidate her.

"You hungry?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:53:25 PM
She hadn't been until he mentioned it, Quay'Na tried to recall the last time she had eaten that day and only came up with early that morning. And that hadn't been very satisfying, a ration bar with the company of her ferret, while in the hold of the grungiest ship she'd ever been in.

"Yes, Master. I could use some real food." She grinned amusingly at him. "Are you cooking?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:48:07 PM
Sage rubbed his chin. "I suppose I could. I've got some stuff for a noodley thing in my cabinets dying to be cooked. Sure, come on."

He led the way out the door.

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:40:17 PM
The Padawan stopped short. "Uh, Master. If you don't mind, I'd really like to get cleaned up before I show myself in public anymore." She gestured towards her filthy attire.

He smiled and seemed to understand as he nodded and left her quarters.

A short time later, Quay'Na was scrubbed, brushed and dressed in the appropriate Padawan appearal. Attaching her sabre back on her belt she, checked herself one last time in the mirror before exiting her quarters and walking next door. With a deep, relaxing breath, she knocked lightly.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:14:18 AM
The door opened, though Sage wasn't visible. He'd used the Force.

He understood her wanting to clean up, it was common. Though he didn't exactly think it was needed. The Jedi Master often looked beyond appearences.

"Come in! I'm just trying to get this sauce right. Take a seat."

The Jedi Master had a spacios quarter. In fact, it was many many rooms. It could be considered an apartment. It came from his many years of slowly adding to it, knocking down walls as the Council let him to, to expand more than one living quarter into a large one. To the left, up on a slightly raised level ascessible by three small steps, sat a quant dining table, already set.

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:01:37 PM
The Padawan entered and closed the door. She took in her surroundings, it was comfortable and...huge. Much larger than she had expected.

Not wanting her new Master to think she was gaulking around, she hurried up the steps and sat down.

Quay'Na left enough space between herself and the table to easily stand when Master Sage entered.

If she had learned anything at all from Ira, it was respectfullness towards others, especially masters. A lesson the Padawan would never forget.

The aroma's coming from her Master's kitchen smelled pretty darn good. She could tell that Sage was definitely a better cook than her former Master.

How many times had Ira thrown some kind of strange concoction together for them to eat? Some things that weren't even meant to be put together.

The thought brought a slight smile to her lips, but also a deep ache to her heart. It had been nearly a week since Ira's death and the hurt still hadn't lessened by much.

Quay'Na wished the ache would go away, she didn't want anything to interfere with the teaching from her new Master.
For the hundredth time she pushed that ache away, knowing it would soon become unbearable. But, she wasn't going to break, not in front of Sage, not in front of anyone.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 10th, 2003, 01:09:06 AM
"I hope you like meatballs!"

He brought out the dish. It was noodles with red sauce and meatballs throughout. He laid it on the table.

"Well, I'll give you the first taste."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 10th, 2003, 03:51:02 AM
Quay'Na stared at the plate squeamishly and for a moment, thought she was going to gag.

"Umm...uh..." She began, swallowing hard. "I guess, I should have told you....it just never occured to me, Master. I don't eat meat, I'm a vegetarian."

Her sky blue eyes met her Master's. "I can't eat something that I can communicate with...I just...can't..."

Her hand went to her stomach and she felt her face pale slightly.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:22:51 AM
"Eh?... Oh crap."

Turning a bright shade of red he took the dish and rushed off to the kitchen.

"Easily rectified!" He said cheerfully. "Uh, now what do you mean by communicate? I haven't had time to read your file yet."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:30:06 AM
"Through telepathy, Master." Quay'Na answered as she took a deep breath and calmed her stomach.

"I've always had the gift of doing that. As a child I thought it was nothing more than a game. We had a woods behind our home and I spent a great deal of time there just listening."

"But, as I grew I knew something was different with me. Something that just drew me to nature and everything about it. I could go into the woods and the animals would just come to me. I began hearing their thoughts, whispers at first and then I could feel what they did. I know that this must sound crazy, I thought so too. But, the experiences that I've had are like nothing I could've ever imagined."

"I've always had a strong bond with animals, any animal just about. I can even control the smaller ones. Master Ira took me to several systems, just to see how well I related to different species."

Quay'Na sighed, "I will miss that." She caught herself. "I mean, nature of course, where around in Coruscant can you be in touch with nature? The nature that I'm used too, I'm sure they have zoos and man-made nature arena's, but it's not the same."

Sage Hazzard
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:03:40 AM
Sage nodded, from the kitchen. Happy with his meatball-less noodless, he took the plate back into the dining room.

"Where did you find the connection strongest, on what world?"

He offered the plate, asking inaudibly if it was satisfactory to her vegetarian philosophy.

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:08:53 AM
Quay'Na smiled as she took some noodles. " Thank you, Master. Naboo was the strongest, there's a lot of wildlife there. We studied it for quite some time. That was, until we discovered the poachers. They were slaying Swamp Dragons for their hides. A highly illegal act."

She stirred the noodles around a bit in the meatless sauce as she flicked her long Padawan braid behind her to keep from dipping it into her food. She'd done that before.

She gathered a bite onto her fork and tasted it.

After swallowing, she nodded with a smile. "Very good, Master. My compliments to the chef."

Sage Hazzard
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:52:13 PM
Sage smiled, settling into his own seat. "Thank you."

He reclined gently.

"Naboo, hah. My homeworld. I trust you gave those poachers what they had coming?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 21st, 2003, 04:02:22 AM
Quay'na nodded. "Yes, eventually once we caught up with them on Kabal. They were arrested by the local authorities and we went on our way...but unfortunately...we didn't get very far."

She took a drink of the fruity liquid that was in her glass before continuing. "The poachers had friends..." She paused again, not really sure if she wanted to go on. Everything was still so fresh in her mind, so she pushed it away and sighed heavily.

Quay'Na changed the subject quickly. "So, uh...now that I know where you're from, what else do I need to know? What type of Master are you?" She took the initiative.

"Early-riser, late sleeper? How much exploring will I be allowed, on or off Temple grounds? Are you training anyone else? Just the basics, I guess. I like to know these things, so I don't get myself into trouble."

She smiled as she raised an eyebrow and hoped he'd forget about the poaching incident.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:09:53 AM
Sage smiled, reading her moderately well. She was intent on changing the subject. He let her.

"Early riser and late sleeper. As much exploring as you're ready for. Yes, I am. Anything else you'd like to know?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:13:36 AM
Quay'Na blushed slightly and looked at her plate, stirring her food once again. She talked too much, but she was finally beginning to feel really comfortable around him. A feeling she wasn't sure she'd ever have.

And that was a good sign, but it would take a lot of effort for her to trust herself around another master.

After a moment of thinking, she looked back up. "So, will I be meeting your other Padawan's soon? Or is that just not done?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:01:04 AM
"If you wish. It is not forbidden. I encourage it actually. I might require you all to accompany on a mission one day or for you all to take my place on the mission."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:07:50 AM
The young Padawan nodded. "I would like to meet them, Master. Being out of the Temple for so long, I've not really had a chance to make acquintances, new or otherwise. And accompanying you or them on a mission would be an honor."

She paused briefly as she took another bite. After finishing it, she looked up again. "Will my training begin soon?"

Sage Hazzard
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:53:09 AM
"I like to get going as soon as possible. We'll begin tomorrow if you've not made a prior commitment."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:01:44 AM
"Tomorrow sounds fine, I will be ready, Master Sage." The Padawan said with a nod and finished the small pile of noodles on her plate.

Quay'Na was quiet for a few minutes to allow her Master to enjoy some of his cooking as well.

She no longer felt guarded around him and as the time went on, got more comfortable. Too comfortable, as the exhaustion from the previous week began to dwell on her.

Quay'Na hadn't realized that several times she had begun to nod off.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:22:04 AM
Sage bit into his own plate. Hmm. Not as bad as he thought.

"How much rest have you gotten? You seem tired."

Quay'Na Rakai
Jun 29th, 2003, 02:56:20 AM
Quay'Na's eyes snapped open to the sound of his voice, he startled her.

"Rest?" She leaned back in her seat to think about his question.

"Not much, I guess. Sleep hasn't come very easily lately." The Padawan admitted openly.

"Especially, in the crate that I got back here on. I wasn't about to sleep there, I felt I had to keep my guard up around the Traders I had gained a ride with."

Sage Hazzard
Jul 18th, 2003, 02:42:36 AM
"A wise decision. But a person cannot work on tired legs. A Jedi is no different."

He paused, to make sure she understood. He hoped it wouldn't be something that would roll off her back, as it would with many of his younger Padawans.

"So, how did you procure passage with these Traders?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:42:38 AM
"Your point is well taken, Master Sage." Quay'Na nodded. "I usually would never go without sleep, unless the situation at hand required it."

She sat up a bit straighter and sipped on her drink. "As far as gaining passage with those Traders, was a riot. I felt the need to bring back Ira's body...for a proper Jedi funeral. I walked the Ghan City Spaceport for hours to gain passage. I had no credits and no one was about to take a body without a price. Finally, I met this group of Traders, who had been down on their luck with a hyperdrive problem. I looked over the situation and knew I could indeed help, so I made a deal."

The Padawan shrugged slightly. "My deal was if I fixed the hyperdrive to gain passage back to Coruscant and after a few mintues of arguing back and forth, they agreed. But, the passage would only be good for myself. They knew I was a Jedi and that I obviously wanted to get off Kabal...so I agreed." She looked at her empty plate as if studying it, the memory of how she got here brought back a slight tinge of guilt again.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:10:38 AM
"A Jedi's essense leaves their body at death. Their mind is no longer with this material world of ours. The body is a vessle, useless after death. No Jedi ever holds onto their body or has any care for it's fate after they pass on. If you'll remember from your teachings you'll recall that Jedi hold no attatchments."

He felt the need to alleviate her guilt. Which he could feel some of through the Force. But now he needed to change the subject.

"Ah, you fixed their hyperdrive. A fellow mechanic! What else can you fix? Repair is a valuble tool for a Jedi."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:25:54 AM
Quay'Na shrugged. "Basics off-hand, Master. My father taught me, a lot. For more detailed fixes, I can study manuels and usually figure it out. That is, if I can get the parts."

She was kinda proud that she had that ability.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:07:40 AM
"Good, good. I have a friend, Chewnakka, a Wookiee, who was very much my mentor and closest friend growing up. He's more than handy with that sort of thing, so it's rubbed off on me," Sage said with a smile. Chewnakka practically raised him. "So what does your father do for a living?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 4th, 2003, 04:18:57 AM
Quay'Na took a drink and gently sat the glass back down. "My father is a flight instructor at the Corellia Naval Academy. He's the one that taught both I and my little sister how to fly. He started us out when we were seven." She sighed heavily. "My dad was really cool and I miss his a lot, but there's no way I'll contact him. I'm not taking the chance of Jescenia being there."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:31:40 AM
Ah, she was a flier too. They would get along well. Very.

"Jescenia?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:05:39 AM
Quay'Na grimaced slightly. "My mother. Although, most of the time I don't consider her that...sad to admit. We don't see eye to eye on on me becoming a Jedi...at all. She wanted me to fulfill the Rakai family ritual and become the next fighter pilot." She sat up straighter and frowned as her mother would and repllied in a lower tone. "Quay'Na, she'd say...get out of that damn woods and back to the academy where you belong."

She glanced at him and smiled. "That's just not where I belonged, it wasn't where my heart was."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:13:04 AM
Sage nodded.

"I see. Your mother seems to be a closed minded individual, no disrespect intended. However, the more closed minded a person the more there words should not effect you. If one cannot look at all possibilities objectively then they are certainly wrong in many things. The words of an unwise man do not effect the wise one."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:48:46 AM
"Yes, and I usually don't even go near her, just because of that. I've eluded her for quite sometime."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:23:35 AM
"No matter how fast you are, your troubles have a way of finding you. Old demons can't be vanguished without first facing them."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:31:48 AM
Facing her mother, wa the last thing on Quay'Na's list. The woman had no sense of compasssion, no friendly demeanor by any means and had the tongue of a swamp serpant. "She's really terrible, Master. And facing her right now? I couldn't do it, not right now."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:47:28 AM
Sage nodded, understanding.

"There's time. You'll grow stronger with time."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:55:35 AM
"I don't know with her," she admittted quietly and took another drink.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:51:50 AM
Sage nodded, knowing it was time to change the subject.

"You mentioned a little sister. Are you and her close?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:02:19 AM
Quay'Na was quite relieved to have the subject changed. She smiled, "yes, we are. Cheyenne is awesome, I wouldn't trade her for anything. Supposedly, she'll be graduating soon from the academy. She's been so busy training , I've not had a chance to talk with her. I'm very proud of her and...she is of me as well."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:24:38 AM
Sage smiled.

"So, is she a good pilot?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 11th, 2003, 03:05:27 AM
Quay'Na nodded. "Her skills are probably past my own, since she attended the academy. But, that's okay, it doesn't bother me. Some of my skills with the Force, she's absolutely fascinated with."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:15:44 AM
"I'm sure she is. Which intrigues me. Does she share your ability with the Force? It's common to find that siblings with the same two parents have near equal Force ability."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:02:30 AM
"Well, I don't think so. I was adopted when my parents 'thought' they couldn't have any children and low and behold two years later...guess who arrived. The miracle baby, as everyone called her, still does. I tease her about it now."