PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Allmighty

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2003, 11:38:48 AM
Has anybody seen this yet? I am curious if it is any good, the previews looks hilarious but want some more opinons on it first. The Reviews haven't been great but most Jim Carrey comedies don't get good reviews.

Vega Van-Derveld
May 24th, 2003, 11:58:55 AM
I just saw the trailer today, before the Matrix, and thought it looked pretty funny. Looking forward to seeing it :)

sirdizzy
May 24th, 2003, 04:00:43 PM
Bruce Almighty (2003)

Comedy 1 hr. 34 min
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for language, sexual content and some crude humor.
Release Date: May 23rd, 2003
Starring: Jim Carrey, Jennifer Aniston, Morgan Freeman, Lisa Ann Walter, Nora Dunn
Directed by: Tom Shadyac

Bruce Nolan is your every day Joe, he works for his local television station as a human-interest reporter in Buffalo but he aspires for more in life. He would like to be anchor and taken more seriously, but when he is passed up for the job by someone he sees as nothing more than a brown noser he goes ballistic. His actions cost him his job and even possibly his girlfriend Grace who is a very religious person who gets into an argument with him about God and the divine direction of Bruce’s life. So on the end of his worst day of his life Bruce rages against the heavens and asks why does it seem that God is picking on him and that he could do a better job. So God appears to Nolan in the guise of human form and offers him the job of the Supreme Being since he thinks he can do it so much better. Now Bruce finds himself with all the power of the heavens and with the ability that he can do anything with only two rules that he can’t tell anybody he is God and that he cannot tamper with love. So now Bruce sets forth to put right everything that seemed wrong in his life but he is forgetting to help all the other people he is also in charge of. So now Bruce must not only try to set his life in order but he also must try and do a better job then God was doing all the while everything he seems to do sets forth a string of chaos.

This movie has a very funny premise and most of the time it lives up to it. The movie is very funny and Jim Carrey does a great job in a movie that is absolutely perfect for his comedic style. But I don’t know the movie just seemed to be missing something to me. It seemed you would go from one hilarious moment to somewhat of a lull where nothing was really happening and then back to the hilarity. Its definitely not Carrey’s fault though as he was absolutely perfect and hilarious throughout, I think I would blame the supporting cast if anything. I am beginning to doubt that Jennifer Aniston will ever be able to shed her TV image and its just makes her so unbelievable in any movie she tries to do. The chemistry between her and Carrey was nonexistent and it was just hard to see her and Carrey being a couple much less in this supposedly loving relationship. Morgan Freeman who plays the part of God did do a good job but he was almost more of a cameo then anything else as he wasn’t on the screen that much. I think the movie would have been better off giving Aniston less screen time and Freeman more time. I am not trying to be harsh about the movie it was very funny and definitely well worth the viewing but I just felt that they could have made it funnier. Still go and see it the movie is funny and you should be well pleased with it.
3.5 stars out of 5

Gurney Devries
May 24th, 2003, 06:30:00 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't laughed that much in the theater in a while. I'd definitely reccomend going to see it unless you just don't like Jim Carrey's style of comedy.

Evil Hobgoblin
May 24th, 2003, 07:10:52 PM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't laughed that much in the theater in a while. I'd definitely reccomend going to see it unless you just don't like Jim Carre's style of comedy.

Allllllllmighty then.

(Face it. Someone was going to say that. It might as well have been me. :))

P.S. For those of you who didn't see Jim Carrey's appearances on The Late Show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien, you missed out on a treat (tho Carrey can go a bit overboard sometimes.) I wanted to see the movie even more after watching his comedic bits on those shows. :)

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2003, 07:12:59 PM
Couldnt you have tried to avert from saying it? Could have shouted "Somebody stop me!" to save yourself the embaressment!

Oh, wait...

:)

Nathanial K'cansce
May 24th, 2003, 08:29:14 PM
Like Gurney, I haven't laughed in a movie theater that much in a long time. Great comedy, by far. I highly reccomend it.

Gurney Devries
May 24th, 2003, 10:18:46 PM
I think I was the only person in the theater who got the joke when Morgan Freeman said "Alllllrighty then". I laughed, there was a silence, then like 2 or 3 people in the back chuckled. They were probably wondering why I laughed, thought about it and caught on.

Dae Jinn
May 28th, 2003, 09:21:33 PM
I laughed at that part. It was good, but I found it to be like the role he had in "The Mask". A good movie though. :)

sirdizzy
May 28th, 2003, 09:55:56 PM
ok after seeing The In Laws today the box office numbers lie

i found the in laws twice as funny as bruce

i was busting up during the in laws and i never really busted up in bruce

JediBoricua
May 28th, 2003, 10:05:07 PM
It's a good movie. Fun, it wont change your life, but you'll be satisfied and feel good at the end.

That's all I have to say.

Wei Wu Wei
May 28th, 2003, 10:06:13 PM
That movie was absolutely histerical. But also deeply moving. At least, it was in my opinion.