PDA

View Full Version : My Matrix (re)review

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2003, 06:59:08 PM
(I asked another Mod, he agreed that this is best seperate from the thread on the sequel)

Being as I haven't watched it in a while, I watched it on TV just, as I always do when going to see a part 2.

For those who don't know my previous opinions on the Matrix, I watched it twice before. The first time I thought it was reasonably good, despite not realising the repeated scenes was actually due to the rented DVD being broken and occasionally repeating chapters, as opposed to it being deliberate, considering how important Deja Vu was. Hey, when it happened it seemed logical!

Second time though, I turned to really disliking the film. I was struggling to see any more than a two hour long MTV music video. Expensive music video, but still a music video. There were a few highlights, but overall, just overrated pap.

So, on with the third time.

First acting, starting with the bad. Guess who I'm going to start on? ;)

Keanu Reeves. And he is still bad. No matter what he is doing, be it being explained the Matrix, fighting or being shot, all he seems to have is a confused expression. Wearing sunglasses can save people from this generally, but then he speaks in what seems such an emotionless, one tone voice. It is almost like Arnie in Terminator 2 for me.

Lawrence Fishbourne suffered from the script. Harrison Ford once said about how hard it was to act in Star Wars due to the strange words you had to say. Fishbourne seems to have the same problem, but Ford had a natural charisma to get over this. Fishbourne instead almost sounds uninterested, as he spews out line after line of psychobabble. Having said this, his performance improved later on in the film, when he wasnt having to teach, and realisation of Neo was dawning on him.

Although only with a small role, I felt the role of Tank was well acted. The shame was that he was the only one of the background crew to have any characterisation. I didn't really see the point of even having the majority of the others there. It just felt like a waste. But Tank did the best he could with his role, and it is a shame that this whole "Not being recast and now suing for that plus slander of calling him a terrorist" thing has come along.

Now onto the good. Starting with Hugo Weaving. His job was basically to play an emotionless program, which was showing traces of emotion. Yet somehow, he actually managed to porvay a great deal of emotion. You actually FELT his dislike of humankind when he was talking of them.

Joey Pants was, as always, great. Matrix, Daredevil, Sopranos, heck even Goonies and through to Babies Day Out(*shudder*), he manages to pull a great performance out, reguardless of film. Also, his role was important for the film, as there had to be SOMEONE who didn't believe in the dream.

Carrie Anne Moss did a great job too. Aside from having to say all the Oliés (As in, the obvious lines, such as when Tank says to unplug Morpheus, and she shouts "That will kill him!", as if this nugget of information had slipped his mind). But really, the film would have benefitted had Trinity been the one, and Neo never existed.

One story element involving her that didn't work for me though was the romance. I mean, Neo was hardly with the others a long time right? Now, how many times did he have any sort of conversation with Trinity? And yet by the end, she is so certain she LOVES him? It just felt bolted on at the end for me, as if they had to show Trinity believed him, but couldnt think of any other way. There was no development, it was just one moment Trinity wanted to say something and her admitting it, and that was it.

On to the fights. In every fight, there was a HINT of a good fight, but it felt ruined every time for me. For example, the rooftop fight. The first few moments, it was great, what with the Kung Fu and the Colt firing and the knife, it was really good. But then the Agent appears and we have to revert to SFX dodging, which just drew me away from the fight. Or the lobby scene. There were some great moments in that, like when Trinity disarms the shotgunner and blows a couple away. But then you get parts like the cartwheel while shooting an assault rifle, which just looked to me too much like a choreographer who had run out of ideas and needed a big ending. And this was how EVERY fight was to me. It was great while they were actually fighting, but then they had to involve SFX. The wirework wouldnt have been so bad to me had it not been for the SFX as well.

And one thing struck me about this whole film. WHY do the rebels want to "save" everyone? What will they actually come back to? There is one habitable city, and they expect to just fit a few billion extra people in? And how will they rescue the people? Even if unplugging them doesnt kill them, wont they die waiting for rescue? These rebels are quite self centred when you come down to it :)

To sum up, it was better than I remembered, but barely. Rather than being a bad film, I now see it as an average film, with a lot more bad points than good. Not really worthy of a sequel.

And as a parting note, I still don't believe Matrix was planned to be a trilogy :)

Nathanial K'cansce
May 21st, 2003, 07:41:34 PM
Not really worthy of a sequel.

Yes! Agreed! I mean, the first Matrix, I felt, was a good film. Better than most, but the way it ended... to me it just didn't seem like it had a sequel in mind.

Zasz Grimm
May 21st, 2003, 09:02:05 PM
Blasphemers.

I'll get you in AIM, Fett.

Wait...

:p

You all know how I feel about the Matrix (Hello..Fanatic here?). So I will refrain for the moment. Also just woke up.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2003, 09:03:41 PM
Well, I'd love to see you disagree with my review points in-thread :)

Charley
May 21st, 2003, 09:28:49 PM
Irregardless of the implicit ironies inherent in my posting of the following opinion, I must agree with Fett's sentiments, though in the end I hold the end product in higher regard than he does.

Morgan Evanar
May 21st, 2003, 10:00:02 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Irregardless of the implicit ironies inherent in my posting of the following opinion, I must agree with Fett's sentiments, though in the end I hold the end product in higher regard than he does. I agree, and disagree with some of the take on the fight scenes.

Instead of removing me, the dodging got me more invovled. "Oh crap! HE DODGED THAT! Now what?!"

But yeah, it didn't want/need/shouldn't have a sequel.

Charley
May 21st, 2003, 10:03:38 PM
Matrix: Reloaded is an eyecandy binge. My brain ordered the house salad with vinigarette dressing, however. Tasty yes, but less filling than the alternative.

Oriadin
May 23rd, 2003, 10:06:32 AM
Ok, ive only got 8 mins so this may sound rushed!

Originally posted by ReaperFett
Keanu Reeves. And he is still bad. No matter what he is doing, be it being explained the Matrix, fighting or being shot, all he seems to have is a confused expression. Wearing sunglasses can save people from this generally, but then he speaks in what seems such an emotionless, one tone voice. It is almost like Arnie in Terminator 2 for me.

I dont understand where this hatred of Keanu Reeves comes from because everyone slates his acting. Speaking to you about this over PM Fett, I wonder whether your opinion of his acting in other films is clouding your judgment on him in this film. The point about the confussed expression... given all that happens to him throughout the film, I would have a confussed look about me too. I personally think he did a decent job. Nothing special, but certainly no where near as most people make out.

Lawrence Fishbourne suffered from the script. Harrison Ford once said about how hard it was to act in Star Wars due to the strange words you had to say. Fishbourne seems to have the same problem, but Ford had a natural charisma to get over this. Fishbourne instead almost sounds uninterested, as he spews out line after line of psychobabble. Having said this, his performance improved later on in the film, when he wasnt having to teach, and realisation of Neo was dawning on him.

Again, this seemed ok to me.

But really, the film would have benefitted had Trinity been the one, and Neo never existed.

Yeah but that wouldnt work without changing the whole film.

One story element involving her that didn't work for me though was the romance. I mean, Neo was hardly with the others a long time right? Now, how many times did he have any sort of conversation with Trinity? And yet by the end, she is so certain she LOVES him? It just felt bolted on at the end for me, as if they had to show Trinity believed him, but couldnt think of any other way. There was no development, it was just one moment Trinity wanted to say something and her admitting it, and that was it.

Ok, I didnt really think about it while watching it, but your right. It does seem a little rushed and a bit of a poor bodged up job. I do belive there is such a thing as love at first sight, but even still, perhaps the whole romance thing should have been done better. If they were PLANNING to make sequals, simply have them flirt a little then get together in the next film(s).

On to the fights. In every fight, there was a HINT of a good fight, but it felt ruined every time for me. For example, the rooftop fight. The first few moments, it was great, what with the Kung Fu and the Colt firing and the knife, it was really good. But then the Agent appears and we have to revert to SFX dodging, which just drew me away from the fight. Or the lobby scene. There were some great moments in that, like when Trinity disarms the shotgunner and blows a couple away. But then you get parts like the cartwheel while shooting an assault rifle, which just looked to me too much like a choreographer who had run out of ideas and needed a big ending. And this was how EVERY fight was to me. It was great while they were actually fighting, but then they had to involve SFX. The wirework wouldnt have been so bad to me had it not been for the SFX as well.

I have to agree with Morgan on this one. The fighting would have looked like any other matial arts film we've seen before had it not been for the special effects and wire work. To me, and most people you speak to, they were fantastic and only served up a visual treat that showed you how good the moves in the fight scenes really were. Personal opinion I guess.

And one thing struck me about this whole film. WHY do the rebels want to "save" everyone? What will they actually come back to? There is one habitable city, and they expect to just fit a few billion extra people in? And how will they rescue the people? Even if unplugging them doesnt kill them, wont they die waiting for rescue? These rebels are quite self centred when you come down to it :)

They want freedom. As Fishburn said in the movie, now you know would you want to go back? You are going to have the exception to the rule, like Joey Pants, but dont forget he was going to go back to a life where he remembered NOTHING and that he'd have a good life. Not some work 9-5 crappy job life. Its all about Freedom.

Anyway, Ive doubled my 8 mins so im off. Probably missed a fair bit out but im in a hurry ok!? :lol

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2003, 10:14:57 AM
Speaking to you about this over PM Fett, I wonder whether your opinion of his acting in other films is clouding your judgment on him in this film.
I liked Dracula, bar him.

Yeah but that wouldnt work without changing the whole film.

I disagree. If you move a few characters round, things can fall into place :)

They want freedom. As Fishburn said in the movie, now you know would you want to go back? You are going to have the exception to the rule, like Joey Pants, but dont forget he was going to go back to a life where he remembered NOTHING and that he'd have a good life. Not some work 9-5 crappy job life. Its all about Freedom.
I like wearing clothes that dont itch 24/7 ;)