PDA

View Full Version : The new Starbuck speaks

Cylon Centurion
May 20th, 2003, 03:52:08 PM
Well... the female Starbuck speaks for the first time

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-05/20/12.00.sfc
Starbuck's Still The Same

Katee Sackhoff, who plays a female Starbuck in the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that fans shouldn't worry that the character is no longer a man. "Even though it's a woman, it's the same person," Sackhoff said in an interview on the miniseries' Vancouver, B.C., soundstage. "Extremely sarcastic and smoking cigars all the time, really doesn't care, but is an amazing pilot. And that's what Starbuck was. So it really doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy, it's still Starbuck."

A female Starbuck brings the story more up to date, Sackhoff added. "I think it's very realistic of the times, of what's going on right now in the world. ... I think that it's about time that we show that women can do just as much as the guys can, if not do it better."

Asked if she would like to meet Dirk Benedict, who played Starbuck on the original ABC television series, Sackhoff said, "I'd be interested to see what he thinks. He had longer hair [then] than I do now." SCI FI's Battlestar Galactica will debut in December.
/images/BSG/starbuck.jpg

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 12:14:44 PM
This belows in Boxoffice, IMO I will move it.

BUFFJEDI
May 22nd, 2003, 07:12:27 PM
Female StarBuck??

Starbuck was a ladies man, a swindler a LANDO, a male ho, MY hero!!!

I truely and honestly just lost interest in it But i'm sure it will be ok.

A female Starbuck brings the story more up to date, Sackhoff added. "I think it's very realistic of the times, of what's going on right now in the world. ... I think that it's about time that we show that women can do just as much as the guys can, if not do it better."

And How does a FEMALE Starbuck bring it up to date?Oh well there money they can do what they want
:\

imported_QuiGonJ
May 22nd, 2003, 08:22:50 PM
And she seems to ignore that Athena was out there fighting alongside the men more than 25 years ago. Women in this generation only need prove things to themselves, really.

Cylon Centurion
May 22nd, 2003, 10:56:25 PM
Personally, I think it's an attempt by Ron Moore to add a strong female hero to the trio of heroes in the original. The main story really focused on Starbuck, Apollo, and Adama in the original show. Athena and Cassiopea were supporting characters but did not play a central role. In this day of political correctness, I guess the need to change one of the trio into a female was done to reach to female audiences. The original show did poorly with female audiences so I guess they don't want to repeat that demographic issue this time.

Glen Larson was a far more conservative writer than George Lucas. At least back in 1977, George Lucas had a strong central female character in Princess Leia with Han and Luke filling out the trio. Chewie, R2, and C3PO played supporting roles in Star Wars. I guess Ron feels he needs that strong female central character like Princess Leia to make Battlestar Galactica succeed the second time around.
/images/BSG/ep0205.jpg

Morgan Evanar
May 23rd, 2003, 12:50:52 PM
I never liked Battlestar as much as say... Space: Above and Beyond, who's Wildcards were led by a woman played by Kristen Cloke.

I hate Fox.

Anyway, female pilots = hawt.

Cylon Centurion
May 23rd, 2003, 02:03:43 PM
Well in the new show Blue Squadron will be lead by a female Starbuck who is the best pilot in the entire fleet. I hope they portray Starbuck to be as tough as Kristen's character.

BUFFJEDI
May 23rd, 2003, 05:42:23 PM
Originally posted by Cylon Centurion
Personally, I think it's an attempt by Ron Moore to add a strong female hero to the trio of heroes in the original. The main story really focused on Starbuck, Apollo, and Adama in the original show. Athena and Cassiopea were supporting characters but did not play a central role. In this day of political correctness, I guess the need to change one of the trio into a female was done to reach to female audiences. The original show did poorly with female audiences so I guess they don't want to repeat that demographic issue this time.

Glen Larson was a far more conservative writer than George Lucas. At least back in 1977, George Lucas had a strong central female character in Princess Leia with Han and Luke filling out the trio. Chewie, R2, and C3PO played supporting roles in Star Wars. I guess Ron feels he needs that strong female central character like Princess Leia to make Battlestar Galactica succeed the second time around.
/images/BSG/ep0205.jpg I guess all that makes sense, But StarBuck should be a guy IMHO . But they didn't ask me so...........

Cylon Centurion
May 24th, 2003, 06:58:03 AM
It would have been odder to see Adama or Apollo as women.

Mu Satach
May 27th, 2003, 12:06:35 PM
well my interest in this project just jumped up a notch...

the only reason I ever watched Buck Rodgers was to see Col. Wilma Derring kick the snot out of <font color=ff00ff>seahorses</font> and rescue Buck... so Starbuck being a cigar smoking chicka sounds kinda fun.

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 06:11:46 PM
Yes, but how's the coffee?

Oh and congratulations for being a pottymouth, Mu.

Cylon Centurion
May 27th, 2003, 06:58:31 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
well my interest in this project just jumped up a notch...

the only reason I ever watched Buck Rodgers was to see Col. Wilma Derring kick <font color=ff00ff>seahorses</font> and rescue Buck... so Starbuck being a cigar smoking chicka sounds kinda fun.
She definitely kicks butt on the script. She don't take crap from anyone including Colonel Tigh.

Mu Satach
May 27th, 2003, 07:38:22 PM
Charley, if you think that's bad you should hear me in RL. ;)

Speaking of cigars... a friend of mine has some Cubans... I might try one. :D

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 08:09:22 PM
I think its tame personally, but nevertheless against the rules.

Mu Satach
May 27th, 2003, 08:40:52 PM
I just need to remember to revert to "farbot" and "frell" around here. :)

Taylor Millard
May 31st, 2003, 04:40:06 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Speaking of cigars... a friend of mine has some Cubans... I might try one. :D
Cubans?

What kind?

I reccommend the Romeo y Julieta Churchill En Tubos personally, but if you get a good Cohiba...go with it. :)

Mu Satach
Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:32:54 PM
It's a Monte Cristo.

Taylor Millard
Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:00:23 PM
Ah the Monte Cristo...

A good one too.

In fact...OH! I've had the Cuban Monte Cristo #4. Definately worth it.

Try it :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:10:26 PM
Taylor you need professional help. ;)