PDA

View Full Version : Innocence Never Felt So Wrong (open)

Abagael Zellan
May 20th, 2003, 12:27:34 PM
"Miss Zellan, do you feel that the case you presented today was adequate enough, despite the results?"

"Miss Zellan, I understand you have a son.... are you at all worried that the accused will try to harm you or your child?"

"Do you think your father could have done a better job?"

Abagael Zellan pulled her sunglasses on and pushed her way through the crowd of buzzing reporters and bright lights. She was beat beyond belief. As she climbed into the waiting 'cab, the woman turned to face the media, who quieted into an excited hush and held up variouis recording devices. Abby cleared her throat.

"I believe that I did everything I could today, as well as every other day during this trial. But the issue was very controversial from the start and what it boiled down to was the jury's desision, based on their concience and the evidence suggested. I am still of the believe that Avery Scarborough pre-meditated the murder of his wife despite his limited mental capabilities. And I am of the belief that this man is a very cunning, very dangerous person. Unfortunatly the judicial system has ruled my beliefs wrong, and the best I can do is accept that and try to move on."

She shook her head as the reporter pressed for more comments, hurling questions at her, and stepped into the cab, thankful for the silence it brought. Abagael gave the driver directions and sat back, closing her eyes. Everything had gone wrong today, absolutely everything and the last thing that she wanted to do was go home and see her son. She couldn't handle it.

All too soon her momentary rest was disrupted by the announcement of their arrival. Abby tossed the allotted credits at the driver and stepped out, hurrying into the little bar and grill before anyone could see her.

"...The highly controversial Scarborough case came to an end today--"

Abagael looked up and groaned. A litte holo in the corner was tuned into the news, and unfortunatly her latest loss was a hot topic. She snapped her fingers at the bartender.

"Can you please turn that? And get me a scotch. No ice."

Shanaria Fabool
May 20th, 2003, 01:54:57 PM
Shanaria walks up to the bar from the back of the room where she was sitting and sits next to Abagael, placing her cider on the bar...

"You look like you could use somebody to talk to.... I don't think we have met before... I'm Shanaria Fabool."

Abagael Zellan
May 20th, 2003, 02:58:38 PM
Abagael nearly choked on her scotch, managing to swallow it despite her startling. Wiping her mouth with a napkin the woman looked about, trying to figure out who SHanaria was talking to.

"Me?"

Abby pointed a finger at her chest.

"Are you kidding?"

She eyed the other woman, who obviously was not. The bartender still hadn't changed the holo and the news story had shifted, as always, away from the case and into her personal life.

"The prosecuter, Abagael K. Zellan is the daughter of the highly renowned lawyer Dougrey Zellan and the late actress Liola Hept. But it seems that even with her famous bloodline--"

Abagael went paler than before and picked up her drink, draining it dry. She nodded at the 'tender.

"Another. And turn that thing to the game or somethin'."

She glanced at Shanaria and sighed.

"Look, I'm glad to meet you but I really would rather just forget about what's going on right now."

Shanaria Fabool
May 21st, 2003, 10:21:19 AM
Shanaria uses The Force to change the holo to a local Slam Ball game.

"Your not going to forget what ever you want to forget by killing your brain cells with scotch......So What's bothering you so much that you want to get hammered?"

Abagael Zellan
May 21st, 2003, 12:12:25 PM
"Excuse me?"

Abagael looked open-mouthed at the woman. Her eyes registered shock and it took a moment before her mouth kicked into gear.

"Listen kid, you haven't got the faintest clue who I am or what I'm like. I had no intention of getting 'hammered' and if I did, I wouldn't waste my creds on cheap scotch. Two drinks won't do a damn thing."

She took a sip from the glass and shook her head in disbelief. She had resolved not to continue the conversation but her annoyance got the better of her. Abagael slammed the glass down and flipped her head to look at Shanaria.

"And where do you come off acting so high and mighty?"

Shanaria Fabool
May 21st, 2003, 12:27:31 PM
Shanaria is slightly suprised by Abagael responce, and quickly goes to explane her comment.

"I'm sorry if I offended you , that was not my intent. I have just seen too many people ruin themself by taking drink after drink when they get bummed-out. I just assumed that at the rate you glunked down that last Scotch, and called for another that you were intending to forget by killing your brain with booze."

In responce to Abagael's question she says calmly....

"I'm not all high and mighty... and I had no intentions to make it seem as if I was. I just want to talk , and it looks like you could use a good talk."

Abagael Zellan
May 21st, 2003, 12:32:15 PM
Abagael shook her head.

"Well I don't. My problems are my problems and I prefer to keep it that way."

She didn't bother to mention that her problems weren't altogether private--they were quite often found on the evening news. Instead, Abby preferred to nurse her drink.

Her concience, what little of it was left, however would not let her ignore Shanaria. Sighing Abagael rolled her eyes.

"Look, I appreciate your...goodwill. But I'm not in the mood for a soul-bearing chit-chit."

She extended a hand, limply.

"Abagael Zellan, attourney at law."

Shanaria Fabool
May 21st, 2003, 02:02:27 PM
Shanaria remembers the name from the news... and gets a look of understanding on her face.

"I'm pleased to meet you... So your the lady that was on the news when I changed it?.... If you don't mind me asking... What was that all about?..."

Abagael Zellan
May 28th, 2003, 12:11:10 PM
"Well I do mind you asking but if you really want to know--"

Abagael shrugged.

"Avery Scarborough murdered his wife and I was lead prosecutor. We had evidence that it was premeditated...but Avery S. suffered an accident just before the murder that rendered his mental capabilities to that of a six-year-old...His wife was going to leave him, but instead she ended up in a dumpster. I lost, he's being sent to live with his mother."

She shrugged and drained her drink again.

"I guess everyone loses sometimes."

Shanaria Fabool
May 28th, 2003, 12:49:30 PM
Shanaria shakes her head...

"I don't think I will ever understand The human justice system... Back home if a person is accused of murder, Their mind is dug through by ether a device, or a Jedi Master, than if there mind says they did it, They are killed. No legal representives, No jury, just the judge and the acused's mind."

Shanaria sips her drink...

" If he did it... then he did....if he didn't... then he didn't. In the end all crimes will be sorted out by the Angels of Life, and there punishment will be delt acordingly, and for the rest of time. I'm sorry to hear that the man was not punished, I'm even more sorry to hear that a lady lost her chance to live.... May her soul be sent to the angels' arms... And my he rot in the Realm Of The Banishment for the rest of time."

Abagael Zellan
May 28th, 2003, 01:41:22 PM
Now, half of that Abagael didn't understand. What in the Seven Hells was The Realm of Banishment? But she just shrugged and sighed.

"Yeah it was a pity. Cost me a partnership in my firm too."

Abby rubbed her eyes, willing away her exaustion. It was getting late and the sitter would wonder where she was but she decided to indulge her procrastination and avoid going home for the time being.

"If I'd gotten this partnership...Shew, I'd have been bumped up to a six-figure salary. That's the real shame here."

Shanaria Fabool
May 28th, 2003, 01:53:40 PM
Shanaria Smiles and shrugs.

"Money only has value if you give it value. There are many cultures that don't use money in any form. But if money is all you value than I can see why it would hurt not to get more..."

Abagael Zellan
Jun 9th, 2003, 11:58:04 AM
Abby snorted.

"Honey, if I want to keep my apartment and my nanny, I need the creds. Life is expensive."

As if to prove her point, Abagael ordered another drink, looking pointedly at Shanaria.

"That's just the way the galaxy is."

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2003, 06:37:38 PM
There was a snort of derision from a booth nearby. The booth itself was smoked filled and there in the corner of it was a cloaked and hooded being, dirty boots on the table, smoking a thin stemmed pipe. He looked something like an animal would drag in out of the rain.

This was one guy who looked (and at the present time, smelt) like he had no use for credits for a home - the streets or a gutter were his home. Or so it looked. A grimy hand moved slightly, beckoning the waiter across.

"Tea please".

The voice was softer and a great deal more gentle than the rough exterior hinted at. It was also strangely accented.

Abagael Zellan
Jun 11th, 2003, 09:08:27 AM
She was slightly--and that meaning completely--buzzed. And so when Abagael heard the scornful grunt she spun around to see who had emitted it. In her current state of mild intoxication the woman would never have been able to pinpoint the persons exact location...but then he ordered tea. Abby looked towards the booth, and though she couldn't see the figure clearly, it didn't stop her from giving him her two cents.

"Excuse me, but if you have something to say about my life--"

At this she jabbed a finger at herself.

"--then feel free to vocalize it in words. I don't need dissaproving noises."

Abagael felt quite exhilerated at the fact that even after a few drinks she had the galls to stand up for herself. It had taken years of therapy to stamp down her insecurities and gain a little confidence. Now she was positively dripping with it.

OOC: Someone gets a little grouchy when they drink :lol

Shanaria Fabool
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:44:20 AM
"Life will always bring you what you need. You can choose take what you need, or you can go for more than what you need. Life does not require money, and as far as Life is knows, money does not exist. So That comes back to my point of, Money only has value if you give it value. If you went to my hometown back on Omwat. And tryed to give them credits for there work, they would laugh."

Shanaria smiles in the direction of the booth that Marcus was in, she was happy to see that she was not the only one that think's this lady is wrong.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 11th, 2003, 03:50:18 PM
"Money is an illusion - there's been more evil in this Galaxy caused by love of money than hardly anything else. Ahhh, thank you" he said to the waiter who delivered his tea. Pausing only to take a sip (Milk, sweetener, just the way he liked it), he continued.

"Besides, who needs credits when there is The Force? Why use an illusion when you have the very thing that binds the Galaxy together? I see you have much to unlearn if you wish to be a Jedi"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 12th, 2003, 08:52:09 AM
“Who needs credits? I do.”

Abagael got up from her stool and managed to make it the short distance to Marcus’ booth with some composure. She half-sat, half-fell into the opposite seat and waved a hand in front of her, trying to free some of the smoke from his pipe away from her face.

“I have a son, and that takes money. I have bills, and they take money. And my expenses have nothing to do with the Force, or the Jedi, or anything pertaining to it.”

She narrowed her eyes and leaned back in her seat.

“Who are you, anyways?”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:05:48 PM
"In this Galaxy there is so much thrown aside, you could live of the scraps and be wealthier than any being alive. why would I need credits when there is such wealth just ... lying around, waiting for an owner to claim it? Besides, what can credits really buy you that wont rust, or decay, or be lost, or be stolen?"

"Around here, they call me Strider" he stated. "I could be a Jedi Master. I also could be just a common thief. Or I might be the guy who assassinated a crim boss after he managed to walk away free from the courts. what do you think I am?"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:51:05 AM
“What I think you are and what is actually the truth are two different things. But for the frell of it—”

Abby stared at him, only slightly reeling in her seat.

“I don’t think you’re a common thief. You don’t carry yourself like one, there isn’t that overblown cockiness.”

She drummed her fingers on the tabletop and continued.

“And I think options A and C are equally as likely.”

The woman shrugged, as if her previous statements meant nothing.

“But I could far off. Because you could be lying through your teeth.”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 14th, 2003, 01:06:40 AM
"That is one thing I am not - a liar. Truth is the most precious comodity there is. Avery Scarborough wont have long to celebrate freedom, if he is guilty"

He took a puff on his pipe before speaking again

"A Jedi believes in Justice. A Jedi deals in justice. A Jedi also deals in truth - the complete and utter truth, so completely that there can be no doubt about a Jedi's word."

Abagael Zellan
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:57:14 AM
“If you’re telling me not to doubt your word, don’t waste your breath. Law’s a clever game and I didn’t get where I am by believing every mysterious man in a bar.”

She’d waved the remainder of her drink over, and now sat with the glass cupped in her hands, resting against her stomach.

“But if we’re going to play that game then we’ve established a number of things. One, you don’t lie. Two, neither do Jedi. And three that option number A is becoming more and more likely. Now, I can swallow number two and three easily enough. I can even believe numero uno. But I want to know one thing. I want to know who you are.”

Abby stared stonily.

“Give me a name.”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:48:17 PM
"Names dont mean anything - you are whom you are by your actions. Titles dont mean anything either. But, if you want, I will tell you more. I am one fo the Jedi whom started this order. I dont have a Padawan at present. I only take Padawans that wont annoy with inept attitudes. My time, I do not waste. Lets see.... how about I tell you my real name if you work out then, why I am here. That should be fairly easy now"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:04:41 AM
Though her expression changed naught, everything had pieced together in Abagael’s mind. She wanted to swear for not putting two and two together earlier. Instead she raised a corner of her lips in a slight grin.

“Names don’t mean anything, Master Jedi.”

In her own way, echoing his earlier sentiments, Abby was letting him know she’d figured it out.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:58:21 AM
A sardonic grin crossed his face, as he removed his hood, revealing the weatherbeaten face, the untidy hair and week old stubble. The eyes were the most noticable - deep, expressive and hinting at the power he had.

"Welcome to the Jedi Order, m'lady" he said in his true voice - soft, melodic with that odd accent that was hard to place. "Names don't mean anything and you wont find anything with my real name on any data network, but Marcus Elessar is what I was born as. Please, forgive me for being rude, if it is any explaination I had not made my mind up until just now whether I would accept you as a learner. I do my research carefully and I will admit, a lawyer coming to the Order is.... different to say the least."

"So, why do you want to be a Jedi?"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 18th, 2003, 08:52:53 AM
“Because as hard as I’ve tried to prevent it, I’ve grown a conscience. Everyone knows how disillusioned the judicial system is…I’ve just stopped convincing myself that I’m actually helping people.”

Abagael shook her head sadly. She’d seen a lot of the inner workings, and the judge’s quarters weren’t a place where justice resided. The courts were full of every kind of corruption.

“Somewhere along the line watching the guilty go free gets to you. There’ve been times where I wanted to beat the life out of some of the punks. But I’m a lawyer and that’s not professional. I love my job, and I’ll keep doing it but…it gets harder and harder to sift through the silt.”

Suddenly uncomfortable with the topic, it hitting too close to home, she shrugged.

“Besides, lawyers don’t exactly help people out of the goodness of their hearts. There’s a great deal of credits involved; we benefit more than the clients. Doesn’t seem right to me.”

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:04:45 PM
"No, your right - it is not right. Justice bought isn't justice"

He took a puff on his pipe, a wistful look on his face.

"That's why a Jedi can't be bought. I think your sense of honour will be well suited here, by the sounds of it"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:50:51 PM
"Sense of honor? Well, never heard that one before."

Abby leaned on the table, curious glint in her eyes. Despite the inhibiting alchohol, her mind still worked as the years of schooling had taught her too.

"Question for you; why would someone like you go through the process of deleting themselves from the networks? It a rather permanent thing to become a John Doe."

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2003, 04:21:38 AM
Marcus nodded. Touche

"The reason is complex. Information about yourself can be used against you - There once was a Jedi Master, a very, very powerful Jedi Master named Turbogeek. This Jedi did some things he should not have and I was forced to kill him. It set in train a set of events that I did not want and in fact, put my feet back on the path here. While the Galaxy, thankfully for my family, does not know a thing about Marcus Elessar (and I intend to keep it that way), they do know something about the alter ego, my disguise if you will. I think you might be aware of him, Major General James T. Tohmahawk, Instigator of the NRSF, bad <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>, bad attitude and all round nasty bastard, plus well documented as having a hatred of Jedi and other Force users, politicians and other scum."

"Tohmahawk is a bucket load of fun" he finished. "You'll find out I dnt quite hold to the tradional Jedi way of doign things"

Abagael Zellan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:31:36 PM
"Jesus Christ..."

Abby shook her head.

"A regular roller coaster ride, huh? Well I suspect then, that this is going to be a rather interesting relationship Master Jedi."

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:48:42 PM
"I'm certainly not boring, that's for sure - that's the way I know I'm still alive. Life is still interesting. Who'ld want to be bored?"

"Now, did I hear you correctly and you said you had a son?"

Abagael Zellan
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:10:50 AM
"Mmm. Unfortunatly, you heard correctly. I have a son. Trent, he's..."

She scrunched her face up and counted on her hand.

"Almost five I think. Yeah, pretty near to it anyhow. Poor kiddo. I wasn't cut out for the mothering business. He gets the raw end of the deal."