PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2003, 10:45:04 PM
We haven't discussed the playoffs so far, so since the Conf finals have started I figured to go ahead. I just saw a heck of a come back, Dallas was down 18 points at one point and they came back to win 113-110, the amazing thing is Dallas hit 49 out 50 foul shots and they actually hit 49 straight that is amazing. I think the Spurs are going to regret losing this game they had it and blew. Dallas now has the home edge and they could steal game 2 if the Spurs don't watch out. In the Eastern conf. New Jersey beat Detriot in a low scoring game yesterday. Right now I think the Mavs and the Nets will meet in the finals but it is still early.

jjwr
May 20th, 2003, 04:30:38 AM
I fell asleep during last nights game but the comback was impressive. The Spurs definetly lack that killer instict as people keep coming back on them.

Mavs are definetly dangerous when they're on, I don't think the Mavs will win the series but a Mavs vs Nets series would be fun, lots and lots of scoring.

JMK
May 20th, 2003, 06:42:28 AM
The Spurs just have too many nice guys to be rally killers. I'm not surprised that the Spurs blew it and let Dallas back in. I've been utterly bored with these playoffs though.

Jedieb
May 20th, 2003, 07:11:24 AM
The fouls were called pretty evenly, the Spurs just didn't make theirs. But that was just an unbelievable performance from the line for Dallas. Still, if your offense consists of shooting 49/50 you should consider yourself lucky to come away with a win. The Spurs should be okay but they've got to adjust to how the game is being called. They laid out a damn red carpet to the free throw line.

CMJ
May 20th, 2003, 09:14:34 AM
I've been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs far more closely, but I gotta say that was an impressive win last night by the Mavs. The Spurs dominated most of the game and lost.

They might go in the tank now.

JMK
May 20th, 2003, 09:36:50 AM
Just to hijack for a second, it's about time Ottawa had Jason Spezza in the lineup. Hopefully he can continue to be the offensive spark the Senators need.

CMJ
May 20th, 2003, 09:38:12 AM
As the ESPN guys said last night, "Where the hell was that guy?"

JediBoricua
May 20th, 2003, 10:29:54 AM
SA is clearly the superior team, but if Dallas sneaks up on them and gets to the final I would be more interested.

A final between NJ and Dallas would be a competition, not a 4-0, 4-1 series for the West, as it has been the last couple of years.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2003, 08:43:23 PM
I think Dallas can beat them if they keep playing these high scoring games.

JMK
May 20th, 2003, 09:59:14 PM
Meanwhile in the East, the Nets hung on to win in Detroit and go up 2-0 on the Pistons heading back to the swamp.

JediBoricua
May 20th, 2003, 10:16:33 PM
I doubt Dallas can shoot 49-50 in the Free Throw line every night. Fact is they have to play like they did last night three more games. Add the fact that they don't play D, they have no one to contain Duncan, and that Novitzky(sp?) is very inconsistant. The only reason Dallas is here, it's because Webber was injured IMO.

SA just has to understand that they must control the tempo and they will win easily.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2003, 10:59:31 PM
Dallas can play a lot better I disagree about Nwoitsky (sp) he is very good his shot wasn't falling in the Kings series. I think Dallas can control the tempo but it will be interesting to see. I wouldn't be shocked if this series goes 7.

Taylor Millard
May 20th, 2003, 11:27:21 PM
It's Nowitzki fellas. But like everyone else in Dallas...I just call him 'Dirk'

And his shot is quite sweet. Back when the Mavs were still practicing at the Tom Landry Fitness Center, I was up there working out and I saw him working on his shot.

JediBoricua
May 21st, 2003, 09:17:15 AM
I know that. When Dirk is on, he is on.

But there are games when he goes and shoots miserably, makes 6 or 8 points, shoot less than 30%, etc. The problem with Dallas is that for they to win and dominate everyone must be having a career night, everyone must be scoring and rebounding and scoring some more. Why? NO DEFENSE!

Jedieb
May 21st, 2003, 09:41:44 AM
I really think San Antonio will bounce back and take game 2. Now, if they lose another game at home they'll be in REAL trouble. These two teams split their regular season series. It should be a 6 or 7 game series. I think SA blew whatever chance they had of steamrolling the Mavs by letting game 1 slip away.

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 11:11:34 AM
I agree there Jedieb I see a long series which is good it makes it much more interesting. I be shocked if Dallas won game 2 though if they do I am thinking they may just sweep them.

Taylor Millard
May 21st, 2003, 03:15:02 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
I know that. When Dirk is on, he is on.

But there are games when he goes and shoots miserably, makes 6 or 8 points, shoot less than 30%, etc. The problem with Dallas is that for they to win and dominate everyone must be having a career night, everyone must be scoring and rebounding and scoring some more. Why? NO DEFENSE!

Okay I admit I'm biased but Dirk is pretty darn consistant. Every time he's had a bad game it's been a shock because he's hands down the best player the Mavs have. And if he does have a lower game, then either Stevie Nash or Michael Finley have picked it up. Or Nick Van Exel.

And I will remind you, Dallas was the most improved defensive team in the league this year. Then went from giving up 103 points per game to like 93...either way...a fair margin.

The 'career night' is Dallas from about 5 years ago. Now they've got a nucleus of good players.

imported_Grev Drasen
May 27th, 2003, 07:20:15 PM
As much as I'd like to see the Nets win it all, I think we all know the Spurs pretty much have this year around their finger.

JediBoricua
May 27th, 2003, 09:36:28 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine who knows a lot more about basketball that I do, and he has made me a believer. The Nets could give a run for their money to the Spurs in the finals.

Basketball, as in boxing, is all about the matchup of different styles. SA doesn't match up as well with NJ. The Spurs have won all of their series by controlling the tempo, but that wont be as easy with Kidd as their opposing point guard. They are a slow perimeter team, with a somewhat mediocre free throw percentage who will have trouble handling the fast pased, overly defensive team that is NJ.

I'm not saying that the Nets will win the series, but they have a much better chance than most people give them. Besides they havfe nothing to loose and if they want Kidd to stay there next year they must win.

JediBoricua
May 27th, 2003, 09:53:49 PM
It seems I made a Tracy McGrady on this one. The Mavs are winning game 5 with a minute left. Things are getting more interesting, nice.

JMK
May 28th, 2003, 06:35:55 AM
I can't believe the Spurs blew it AGAIN. Though I don't expect them to let Dallas win 3 straight.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2003, 12:14:36 PM
I think it will go 7 though, which will really benefit the Nets I think they might beat which ever team makes out of the West now.

JMK
May 29th, 2003, 09:49:02 PM
The Spurs did what they had to do and are off to the finals vs the Nets. I think this may be a much more interesting series than everyone was thinking we'd get before the playoffs began.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2003, 09:51:46 PM
I think the Nets will shock everyone and win it, no one is expecting them to win so I think they will come out and shock the world.

JMK
May 30th, 2003, 06:44:35 AM
I wonder what this will do to the "Kidd to San Antonio" rumors?

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2003, 10:51:31 AM
I don't think that will happen I think New Jersey would be fools to let Kidd get away.

JediBoricua
May 30th, 2003, 06:11:18 PM
In a recent interview Kidd said that he liked living in NJ, but that his final decision will be based on chances of winning a ring.

So if the Nets want to resign him they need to win, or make it a hard fought 6 or 7 game series. If the Spurs sweep them, or win easily in 5, there is no way IMO that Kidd will stay.

But this time I agree with you JMC, the Nets could surprise.

imported_Grev Drasen
May 30th, 2003, 06:17:25 PM
I actually believe Kidd will stick with NJ no matter the outcome. He was on "Rome Is Burning" and said it all boiled down to his family, and he didn't want to pull them away from NJ because he kids had started school.

I don't know how much truth is held in it, but he said money and minutes have nothing to do with decision, just family.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:05:38 PM
Upping this for game 2, if you guys are still watching.

Maybe the Nets can give a better performance tonight than game 1?