PDA

View Full Version : So I'm hunting down good music...

Pierce Tondry
May 18th, 2003, 04:35:12 PM
... specifically stuff of the Celtic variety. Anyone who wants to help is more than welcome.

Dae Jinn
May 18th, 2003, 05:07:21 PM
There's one song off the Band of Brothers soundtrack that's really good. The only "celtic" music I really listen to isn't celtic, it's east-coast gaelic by Ashley McIssac (spelling might be off a bit). it's kinda rock-fiddle music though ^_^;

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2003, 05:22:49 PM
Uh, my sister has some stuff called Clan AD or something that I always skip through.

Zeke
May 18th, 2003, 05:49:07 PM
Flogging Molly! Or do you mean the old school sort of Celtic music?

Pierce Tondry
May 18th, 2003, 06:10:14 PM
You mean Clannad, Morg. And, um, they're pretty good. IMO.

Actually, let me expand my search criteria.

Celtic/Irish, be it of any kind of style.

Edit: Sorry, Zeke, I'm going blind. -_- Traditional stuff isn't quite what I'm looking for, although good arrangements of traditional songs would be interesting. And, um, what is Flogging Molly? Traditional, I assume?

I'm more or less looking for newer stuff, from approximately the past twenty years.

Zeke
May 18th, 2003, 06:12:26 PM
Go dl some Flogging Molly. Most notably...

Salty Dog
Devil's Dance Floor
Black Friday Rule
Sentimental Johnny
The Ol' Beggar's Bush

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2003, 06:51:07 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
You mean Clannad, Morg. And, um, they're pretty good. IMO. Not my thing 95% of the time. -goes back to listening to Massive Attack-

Because any time is good for Massive Attack.

Flogging Molly is.. interesting.

imported_Eve
May 18th, 2003, 08:23:43 PM
MMM Massive Attack.

Celtic. I have all kinds. I can burn ya some. Why ya interested?

Pierce Tondry
May 18th, 2003, 09:27:14 PM
I bought a Carbon Leaf cd the other day and ,through that purchase as well as conversations with my friend Mike, I've reinitiated a separate side interest in Celtic music that I've had going for about five, maybe six years.

That reminds me... there's a card in my wallet I got recently that says I'm entitled to one free kiss from a wench. :lol

Zeke
May 18th, 2003, 09:48:44 PM
Flogging Molly is an Irish punk band that uses traditional intruments in their music.

Vega Van-Derveld
May 19th, 2003, 04:03:56 AM
Try some 'Gaelic Storm'. It's not so 'punk'-ish as Flogging Molly. Lots o' violins tho, good for jigging too :D

And there is always good ole Enya.

Abagael Zellan
May 20th, 2003, 11:50:01 AM
(Celtic Music QUEEN, am I :D)

The whole "Back of the Moon" cd (Gillian Frame)

Anything off the "Battlefield Band" cd

Try Cantrip, namely their 'Silver' cd

Capercaillie and Cliar (two separate bands) are good

If you want a more modern celtic try Daimh, though they're not for everyone :)

If you want a bit of celtic root with more fiddle in it try 'Fiddlers Bid' or 'Blazing Fiddles'

I think you're looking for more of the original celtic but if you're into that sort of flavor, Deaf Shepard is also worth checking out :)

... And if you're REALLY in an interesting mood, look up the Peatbog Fairies... it's quite different, really fun.

Hope that helped some :)

Kat Kariena
May 20th, 2003, 03:11:55 PM
*runs off to download* :mneh

Saccharine Jones
May 20th, 2003, 05:18:44 PM
AFRO-CELT sound system.

Truly.

:)

Oh, and Clannad.