PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know any reliable online gun vendors?

Sanis Prent
May 14th, 2003, 08:11:24 PM
I'm trying to find a way to purchase a Steyr-Mannlicher S Series 40 caliber semiautomatic compact pistol, and they're understandably hard to come by in America. I'm trying to find a reasonably low price (anything below $400, preferably), with excellent security, proper credentials, etc. I don't want to buy this weapon from someone shady. Also, I'd like to find extra magazines and numerous styles of holsters to choose from.

Anybody know of such a vendor?

BTW, here is the pistol I'm interested in:

<a href=http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/englishversion/Pistolen/images/sser.jpg>Steyr S Series</a>

Or...just look in my sig :) although that one is the larger M Series pistol. Looks about the same, just smaller.

Loki Ahmrah
May 14th, 2003, 08:20:47 PM
My answer = not a bloody clue.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 14th, 2003, 08:22:52 PM
not a gun gal, knives and daggers I could find but this I dunno.....

Admiral Lebron
May 14th, 2003, 08:38:58 PM
To be honest Sanis, I have shopped around for guns online and usually the best place to get the arm of choice is either directly from the dealer or just do a yahoo search.

Figrin D'an
May 14th, 2003, 08:45:54 PM
There are only a couple of full-fledged Steyr-Mannlicher dealers in the US, AFAIK, so if you can't get it from a local gun store, you'll probably have to try one of those. Either that, or order it from Austria. ;)

That's my best guess. :\

Admiral Lebron
May 14th, 2003, 08:47:39 PM
Besides, why would you want a wuss gun like that?

Figrin D'an
May 14th, 2003, 08:51:37 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Lebron
Besides, why would you want a wuss gun like that?

Buy a clue, please. Mannlicher makes some of the best firearms in the world.

Admiral Lebron
May 14th, 2003, 08:59:44 PM
I know they do, but call me young, irrational, and biased but why buy Steyr S when you buy a Desert Eagle?

Sanis Prent
May 14th, 2003, 09:06:48 PM
Because I'd actually like to hit my target from a distance of more than 10 yards. Desert Eagles have insane kickback. Not to mention, they're huge. The Steyrs are relatively small, offer a nice sized magazine for a 40 caliber gun, and are practically designed around your hand. Plus, its got amazing security features.

Oh, and I doubt I can buy a Desert Eagle for less than 400, and I can do that with a Steyr :)

Figrin D'an
May 14th, 2003, 09:12:14 PM
Try cost and size, for starters. Both the S and M Series are better ergonmically than the Magnum, as well.

Edit: Charley beat me to the punch, but it seems our points were essentially the same.

Droo
May 14th, 2003, 09:16:18 PM
We're definately going to have to have an open discussion about gun culture(s) some time soon, not tonight though as my brain is oozing out of my ears. You have no idea how strange it sounds to me when you talk of your "local gun store". :)

Morgan Evanar
May 14th, 2003, 09:37:43 PM
Try reliability too. The DE is an unreliable firearm compared to... just about everything else. If you want to clean it all the time, sure. Honestly, nothing tops a revolver for indimidation factor. The Taurus .454 Casul Raging Bull is probably the most wicked looking revolver on the market, and you only loose one round from a DE. Besides, if someone points a revolver at you, chances are it will fire if there is a round there.

Lebron, also, here's a suggestion for the future: STFU about things you know nothing about.

Styer makes excellent firearms. They're Austrian. .40SW is a very balanced round with decent stopping power. But you should always try a gun before buying it. The guys on ars love the SiG stuff, especially the P226.

Lord Soth
May 14th, 2003, 10:43:31 PM
Tell ya who ya need to talk to Charlie is Martin...He works in the hand gun department at his work and could prob. hook you up with a kick A@# deal as well. PM him and hit him up about what he has or if he can even get it...Its one of those stores that has an odd aray of rifle’s and a pretty damn good selection of pistol's from what I seen when I was there last...

Telan Desaria
May 15th, 2003, 03:31:04 PM
I have always preferred my inherited side-arm, the Walther P38. It is an excellent weapon with fabled accuracy and durability. Thought it does have a small magazine, it is as well compact, light, and jams are easily fixed.

Remember - I am biased.

Charley
May 26th, 2003, 01:04:11 AM
I am now making the <a href=http://www.impactguns.com/store/spring_xd40_ported.html>Springfield XD 40</a> my primary sidearm choice.

Droo
May 26th, 2003, 05:57:21 AM
I would say "Nice!" or "Sweet!" but I haven't a clue about guns. I'm just wondering, do you need a liscence to buy that gun and secondly, if so, what does it take to obtain such a liscence?

Charley
May 26th, 2003, 11:06:01 AM
A gun purchase requires a background check. These background checks can be obtained either with instantaneous processing, or with a waiting period...depending on the vendor and how they process such checks. These checks look into everything about the gun purchaser, and if there are any past offenses like felonies, etc...the purchase is rejected. Further, you can apply for a concealed weapon permit, allowing you to carry a pistol on your person, concealed, in public areas. This permit costs about $25 and is similarly strict against those with criminal records, and can be purchased at the local court house. Furthermore, the courts furnish gun safety courses and educational programs, allowing gun owners to become more safe and responsible.

Ryla Relvinian
May 26th, 2003, 03:49:02 PM
*Marches in the thread, proudly wearing her "Protected by Smith&Wesson" t-shirt*

Oh man, you should have seen the poodoo I got from this group of ultra-liberal dirt worshipping hippies in my script analysis class the other day. I mentioned something about how women should take self-defense classes, even possibly take gun saftey classes, and I got formally trounced upon.

Oh well. Oo-rah for "tolerance." :D

But back to the point: Nice gun. :)

ReaperFett
May 26th, 2003, 04:07:03 PM
You got poodoo for suggesting self defence classes?

Droo
May 26th, 2003, 04:15:54 PM
Fett, you might be more knowledgeable about this than me, do you have any idea what the gun laws are over here with relation to personal/public ownership? Merseyside Police have recently begun a huge crackdown on firearms, they gave all who possessed any such weapons something like a month to hand them into the appropriate authority before time was up. Time is up now and apparently the penalties for possession of a gun is really steep.

ReaperFett
May 26th, 2003, 04:28:02 PM
Basically, most guns are totally outlawed over here, barring a few categories. Automatics are a no-no, most pistols too. I believe the ones that are allowed are things like double barelled shotguns, which farmers would use, and the like.

Charley
May 26th, 2003, 04:29:04 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
*Marches in the thread, proudly wearing her "Protected by Smith&Wesson" t-shirt*

Oh man, you should have seen the poodoo I got from this group of ultra-liberal dirt worshipping hippies in my script analysis class the other day. I mentioned something about how women should take self-defense classes, even possibly take gun saftey classes, and I got formally trounced upon.

Oh well. Oo-rah for "tolerance." :D

But back to the point: Nice gun. :)

Excellent choice. Smith & Wessons are known for quality and affordability. S&W collaboration pieces with Glock (Sigma series) are quite impressive firearms.

Girls who know their guns are awesome. :love

Seteth Morters
May 27th, 2003, 04:42:03 AM
Gun laws over here are major strict, but the gun amnesties only really take the guns off the law abiding owners - granddaddy's war trophy, or the ornamental musket thats been in the loft for years, not the people who really do keep their semi automatics for business.

most I've got my hands on was a .303 air rifle, and even I know that thats no gun.

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 04:47:27 AM
Which is why I think gun laws are a load of crap, after a certain point. Once past a background check, what is the point of more gun laws? You think a criminal who wants a gun is going to go "Oh, can't do that...its illegal!".

But I suppose this is a can of worms that I don't want to open so early in the morning.

(Kicks Michael Moore's bloated corpse)

Seteth Morters
May 27th, 2003, 04:54:17 AM
really, the only way to protect people from gun-related killings is to either stop making guns all together (no chance - theres too many legitimate uses for them) or just to keep them out of the hands of criminals, idiots and the downright clumsy.

anyone who can enforce that will get my full backing - but if only the law abiding were allowd guns, they wouldnt need them, at least not for defence purposes, so it would just be for decoration, rifle ranging or other target sport, or hunting...

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 04:57:57 AM
My guns are used for hunting and target practice uses only. Me and Akrabbim have started something of an unofficial gun fanatic club. We're as responsible as any gun owner you'll find, but we do enjoy going out to the creek bed and emptying a few dozen magazines :)

Seteth Morters
May 27th, 2003, 05:09:56 AM
nothing wrong with that :)

ReaperFett
May 27th, 2003, 08:56:05 AM
Gun control works because it means grandma and grandpa arent packing heat and blowing away the first person who looks at their house the wrong way :)

I'm a middle-ground person. I dont agree with the US gun laws, but don't agree with ours.

Seteth Morters
May 27th, 2003, 12:46:32 PM
grandma and grandpa come under the heading of downright clumsy :)

Khendon Sevon
May 27th, 2003, 06:26:40 PM
I wish my school offered a rifle club... *sigh*

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 06:37:14 PM
Why does your school have to offer one? Make your own.

Khendon Sevon
May 27th, 2003, 08:09:31 PM
yeah, but I'd rather have it school sponsored so I can vs other schools

Charley
May 27th, 2003, 08:17:48 PM
Just organize a group of friends and do it that way. Its better among friends.

imported_Terran Starek
May 28th, 2003, 04:37:28 AM
Originally posted by Seteth Morters
really, the only way to protect people from gun-related killings is to either stop making guns all together (no chance - theres too many legitimate uses for them)

Allow me to wax philisophical for a moment. :)

Though meant in no way to offend or poke fun at you, Seteth, I would like to comment. I don't think that any use of any object to kill another human being is ever 'legitimate.' Not in any way is murder justified--not in battle or in peace. It can only be justified by some sort of higher rule or force, but that's one heck of an argument on a totally different topic.

HOWEVER(and this is a big however to stop Charlie and all the other right wingers from kicking me in the johnson immediately):

Combat is a necessary evil. It's just the truth. We need to be able to defend ourselves as a nation. We need to be able to protect our people and the ideals we believe in as long as they don't infringe upon the rights of other nations. Ever since ever war has existed--some deemed holy in the past, now we generaly refer to them as just. Anyway. . .where was I going? Oh yeah, war. It's crappy. I think that the most pathetic liberal/left wing argument against war is "War is terrible." Oh really? How profound of you. Our leaders have never really considered the fact that WAR SUCKS! But sometimes, in appropriate situations, it is a necessary measure.

Gun control is good on many levels. But, like many things invented (nuclear weapons, biological weapons, computers) you can't just go back and forget it or control it. If we could erase nuclear technology, we would--but we can't. We can't erase the development of ballistic weaponry and we have to deal with that, nation-to-nation and as a global community.

Now, if you wanna talk about our right to bear arms as stated in the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, I'd love to. I think many people lean on that clause a little too hard. It's interesting what the 'right' really means.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. I hope some of that made sense. :)

Kelt Simoson
May 28th, 2003, 04:54:27 AM
I'd sooner collect swords and daggers im affraid. :)

But then again im a big fantasy buff :)

Charley
May 28th, 2003, 04:57:28 AM
Why not both?

Akrabbim has a well-balanced arsenal. I'm working on it, but with a lower budget.

Seteth Morters
May 28th, 2003, 05:15:04 AM
by legitimate uses, I meant target sports. I know that they were designed to kill humans, but superglue was designed to hold people's insides in until they could get to a field hospital, and look at how many uses that has :)

personally, I hate the thought of a machine designed to kill things specifically, but now that we've got one, we can either try to erase it completely, get a lot of people's hackles up, and end up with massive arguments, or we can endorse gun clubs, and teach people to use rifles responsibly.

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2003, 05:32:34 AM
Teaching people will never work. THere's always a 5% or something who will spoil it for the rest of the people.

Charley
May 28th, 2003, 05:35:54 AM
I disagree there. The vast majority of firearm crime is committed by those without a knowledge of gun safety or a respect for such weapons.

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2003, 05:46:50 AM
Yeah, but my point is that a number of them wouldnt do any different even if you told them.

I don't think the US could ever actually do gun control, as an aside.

Figrin D'an
May 28th, 2003, 09:07:25 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Yeah, but my point is that a number of them wouldnt do any different even if you told them.

Such is the same for knives or swords or frying pans or knees to the groin. There will always be a dessenting portion of the populous, no matter the country or culture, no matter the type of weapon. By teaching proper and responsible usage, there can still be a reduction in accidents and illegal usage, even if it is not to the point of complete elimation.

Originally posted by Terran Starek
If we could erase nuclear technology, we would--but we can't.

I wouldn't. It's been far too valuable a comodity and step-stone in understanding the universe. Nobody likes ICBMs with fission-tipped warheads. It's unfortunate that such things exist. But nuclear technology had allowed for many other advancements, beyond the realm of weapons, that people would find difficult to give up. Not to mention that, if/when fusion becomes an efficient and economically feasible process, humanity will have an almost limitless power source.

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2003, 09:28:19 AM
Re : Nuclear technology - CAT scans, and cancer therapy are two of the invaluable things nuclear medicine have given us. I know nukes are not good, but the fact is, without nuclear technology there woudl be a fair few diseases we could nt treat. Make sure the next Greenie who yells for a nuke plant to close understands that their very life is probably going to be saved by one.

imported_Terran Starek
May 28th, 2003, 03:34:05 PM
Excuse my slip. I meant Nuclear weaponry exclusively. :)

Telan Desaria
May 29th, 2003, 03:09:53 PM
Quick 2 cents on gun control - coming from a military mindset, family, and personal history, I have to say there should be no laws restricting the personal protection rights of the civil populace of a threatened country.

If people cannont handle the freedom of owning a high calibre automatic weapon, than they should possess the intellectual capacity to use it properly. Anyone who misuses it would be automatically eliminated without trial, cost, or effect on other innocent people.

If attacked and I am active in a non military capacity, I would feel much safer knowing I have an MP-40 in my closet than a pump-action shotgun.

ReaperFett
May 29th, 2003, 03:17:42 PM
Well I feel safer knowing there isnt a gun in the house.

Charley
May 29th, 2003, 06:18:15 PM
In a domestic engagement, I'd be much more comfortable with the shotgun, seeing as I don't have to worry about perforating my walls with a high cyclic rate 9mm spray...but to each his own.

Charley
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:13:08 PM
I finally got to go shopping again. Went to a store that seemed to have ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. I palmed a nice Desert Eagle .50 mag that seemed to weigh a million billion pounds. It also cost 1400 bucks, so....no. I also got to get my grubby mitts on a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle, which was INSANE. I strained to lift the weapon with one hand. Its absolutely enormous. The stock alone is a masterpiece to behold. Its a large, strange structure that is the most interesting kickback suppression system that I've ever seen. It cost 3000 bucks.

From there, I looked at a few nice trinkets, such as an authentic 9mm Luger, Pappy Boyington's Colt 1911, A .357 magnum revolver that looked like the thing the Joker used to shoot down the Batplane with, several AK-47's, a Dragunov (Kalashnikov sniper rifle), M-16's, M-4 carbines, AR-15's, Benelli combat shotguns, riot shotguns, uzi's, Mac-10's, old Soviet Nagant rifles...and a Ma Deuce! Definitely a firearm joygasm!

Now, onto business.

I am in love with the Springfield Extreme Duty 9mm Tactical. The .40 version is great too, especially since its the same price (450 dollars). The look, feel, and features are all exactly what I want. Its the most intuitively safe gun I've ever seen. It has a composite trigger, back grip plate, slide chamber port, and a firing pin port. What all that means is that it is an extremely safe firearm, while not being cumbersome in its safety (ie. hammers and safety switches). I don't have to worry about accidentally firing the weapon, and when I want to fire it, its as simple as pulling the trigger.

Furthermore, the magazine is metal, which is something that I prefer. Nothing against plastic mags (ie Glocks), but I just prefer to clear a spent mag from my weapon smoothly. Its all about preference, and I am a bigger fan of metal. Its also got fixed dovetail sight apertures, which I prefer over other styles. The weapon has a good weight and size to it, and overall I can't find a fault to it. Not to mention, every bit of the word of mouth I've heard about the weapon is glowingly positive. Only one person I've spoken to about the XD said that he didn't like it, and that was due to his preference of hand-crafted guns, instead of machined weapons. Even still, he couldn't find a specific fault with the XD.

So, I'm just about set in my mind on what I want.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:16:06 PM
Nothing against plastic mags (ie Glocks),

ahhh, so that's what a glock is....:)

Charley
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:20:02 PM
No, Glock is a specific brand of gun...and they're damn good weapons. Akrabbim owns two, and I'll swear by them, they're excellent. Glocks in particular use lots of plastic parts though...such as their magazine covers. It means that when you eject a magazine, it doesn't pop all the way out. Instead, it goes about halfway, and you pull it the rest of the way out. Now, thats good for those who don't want to be bothered about losing a mag. Me, I prefer metal due to the fact that I can clear that mag as quickly as possible. Neither is better than the other. Instead, its all about personal choice.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:23:35 PM
ah, k...*knows nadda about guns other that how to fire one*

Charley
Jul 12th, 2003, 05:19:26 PM
I've found a gun vendor that sells .40 Springfield XD's for $410, which is about 50 dollars less than what I'd found before. Furthermore, there's a gun show coming to Birmingham in one week, and I can probably haggle for even cheaper prices.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:23:31 AM
It has been an age since I went out shooting with my Ruger Mini-14, Ruger GP100, SigSauer P-226, Calico M100, and Mossberg Military Shotgun. Wish I would have kept my Springfield TZ-75 and Chicom AK-47 and accumulated many more firearms.

Ishan Shade
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:13:41 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Because I'd actually like to hit my target from a distance of more than 10 yards. Desert Eagles have insane kickback. Not to mention, they're huge. The Steyrs are relatively small, offer a nice sized magazine for a 40 caliber gun, and are practically designed around your hand. Plus, its got amazing security features.

Oh, and I doubt I can buy a Desert Eagle for less than 400, and I can do that with a Steyr :)

Baby Eagles aren't huge and the kickback is very low. Thier also good solid built guns...

Dyan Kharis
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:22:38 AM
DEs are huge! They dwarf large caliber revolvers, no kidding. Hehehe. But as my list of guns suggests I am a firm believer in a fair mix of economics and quality. Not that the Chicom is top quality or missed too much but that mass of stamped/milled steel and wood provided many'a'hours of great fun plinking with cheap military ball ammo.

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:21:20 AM
My friend owns a Mossberg, and they are quite fun little shrub-clearers. Very enjoyable.

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:12:59 AM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9402Large.jpg

btw, here's the nice little lady that I'll be taking home in a week ^_^;

Ishan Shade
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:24:55 AM
Ah, I love handguns :)

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:27:39 AM
I'm so conflicted on whether I want to get the tactical or service model .40 cal

On one hand, I really like accuracy, and on the other hand, the service model is 20 dollars cheaper and more concealable.

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:29:34 AM
BTW <a href=http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9102Large.jpg>here</a> is the Service .40 model, for comparison. Note the shorter barrel.

Sohei
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:54:13 AM
http://www.firearmscanada.com/index.htm

I was doing research for a short story I was writing and used this site. I don't know how useful it is for the discerning collector, but here it is anyway :)

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:17:59 AM
What was your story about, and what were you researching?

Sohei
Jul 14th, 2003, 12:28:01 PM
This sounds cliche and overdone, but it was about a second communist revolution in Russia, and how the new nation attempts to return to Cold War borders. I used the site for info on the Glock 21, which consequently led me to the Glock homepage. The main character of the story uses that particular firearm.

Short story, only 73 pages, so it's kind of crammed. It was my first shot at that kind of thing, and I spent ungodly amounts of time researching for various chapters. I could send you a copy or put it here in a link, if you'd like :)

Dyan Kharis
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:22:13 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
My friend owns a Mossberg, and they are quite fun little shrub-clearers. Very enjoyable.

Yes, they are! I have the military model with 20" barrel and eight round magazine. Nine including round in chamber. Aside from range considerations, it is a blast firing 2 3/4" or 3" highbrass double 00 buck or sabot magnum rounds through it. Pure delightful destruction.

I'm so conflicted on whether I want to get the tactical or service model .40 cal

On one hand, I really like accuracy, and on the other hand, the service model is 20 dollars cheaper and more concealable.

I would't sacrifice accurancy and range for concealability. No way especially when you go shooting often with your buddies. I remember owning a snubnose Taurus .38 and couldn't hit jack beyond five yards. Though this gun was smaller than that service model.

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:52:49 PM
Sohei, I wrote something very similar to that in high school. Interesting.

Dyan, my friend (Akrabbim on these forums) owns the military mossberg) Its very fun, but like you said, has jack for range. It doesn't shoot skeet very well, nor is it designed to.

The XD subcompact is the smallest semiautomatic service pistol in the world...even smaller than a glock 26. That doesn't count the small calibur revolvers and pocket semis out there, but in guns 9mm and higher, its the smallest in existence :)

Sohei
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm still in High School right now, and I wrote it for a class I'm taking at WMU. Would you be interested in swapping works, if you still have yours?

Charley
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:19:06 PM
I'm 6 years out of high school. I have no idea where that story would be, to be honest.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:13:39 PM
Besides possible new handgun acquisitions, I have also been giving thought on investing on two olde west styled guns..

Rossi Stagecoach Model - 12 gauge caliber, dual hammers, 16" side-by-side smoothbore barrels, and walnut stock. Can you imagine dropping both hammers on magnum rounds?

Winchester 1894 Ranger models - compact 16" barrel; lever-action; walnut stock; and available in 30-30, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .44 Magnum respectively. These are among the most compact and streamline rifles I have ever seen. They resemble a child's toy because of their size. You really need to be hold and see these Ranger models to fully appreciate what I am saying. Plus the carbine barrel lengths increase the velocity, range, accuracy, and stopping power of any of the aforementioned Magnum pistol calibers. You're talking maximum power with miniscule kick in a very graceful, aesthetically pleasing design, and at a economically friendly price. I want to get one in .357 Magnum (also fires .38 specials) or .44 Magnum (fires .44 specials too). Next time you visit a local gun dealer or vendor at a gun show, ask to see one of these models and hold it. They are sweeet guns to plink with too or use as a home protection weapon.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:33:21 PM
Correction: Winchester 1894 Ranger Compact Model and Winchester 1894 Trapper Model.

Charley
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:37:31 AM
Originally posted by Dyan Kharis
Winchester 1894 Ranger models - compact 16" barrel; lever-action; walnut stock; and available in 30-30, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .44 Magnum respectively. These are among the most compact and streamline rifles I have ever seen. They resemble a child's toy because of their size. You really need to be hold and see these Ranger models to fully appreciate what I am saying. Plus the carbine barrel lengths increase the velocity, range, accuracy, and stopping power of any of the aforementioned Magnum pistol calibers. You're talking maximum power with miniscule kick in a very graceful, aesthetically pleasing design, and at a economically friendly price.

For years, it's been my hunting rifle. Model '94 30-30. Less kickback and boom than a 30-06, but with about the same hitting power. Not to mention a higher ammo capacity and rate of fire than a bolt action, though thats not exactly the best for hunting, IMO. Not quite accurate enough for my taste. The short barrel and lack of a scope fixture don't allow it to compete as well as bolt action 30-06's, but for a novice, its a handy little toy.

ReaperFett
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:32:11 AM
CHarley:

Charley
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:36:57 AM
Thank you, sir :D

Dyan Kharis
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:23:38 AM
For years, it's been my hunting rifle. Model '94 30-30. Less kickback and boom than a 30-06, but with about the same hitting power. Not to mention a higher ammo capacity and rate of fire than a bolt action, though thats not exactly the best for hunting, IMO. Not quite accurate enough for my taste. The short barrel and lack of a scope fixture don't allow it to compete as well as bolt action 30-06's, but for a novice, its a handy little toy.

Yeah, a flat shooting .270 magnum or 30-06 bolt action is a range rifle for sure. But a handy Winchester or Marlin lever-action is one of the best long guns in heavy brush and close quarter range. I love them. Plus, if I were to purchase say the .357 magnum model it would offer the perfect companion piece to my Ruger GP100. But the 30-30 or .44 Magnum just as well.

Charley
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:27:06 AM
I'll probably get a 30-06 for my birthday, hopefully. I'm getting to the point where I really like to fire them.

And maybe in a year or two, if I can save up, I want to get a .223 semiauto Bushmaster AR-15, just for the hell of having one :)

Dyan Kharis
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:37:34 AM
I'll probably get a 30-06 for my birthday, hopefully. I'm getting to the point where I really like to fire them.

And maybe in a year or two, if I can save up, I want to get a .223 semiauto Bushmaster AR-15, just for the hell of having one :)

I really like the 30-06, .270 Magnum, and .280 Magnum. The two first calibers are highly popular calibers and usually offered in precisely the same line of bolt-action models.

My friend owns a Colt AR-15, nice, nice gun. But knowing he could have invested in a Heckler&Koch Model 91 or Model 93 with alittle more saved money kind of seems at loss. But not much. I also like the Israeli Action Arms Ghalil, which is one of the better Kalishnakov-inspired assault rifles. Also one of the simplest and most reliable designs ever conceived. Only concern would be aftermarket accessories and their availability.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:27:31 AM
I'm not a big fan of HK pistols for some reason. They don't seem quite up to par with some of the better pieces out there.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 17th, 2003, 01:43:59 AM
HK doesn't appeal to me either. I mean they wouldn't be my first choice. Another thing, IMHO, other european pistol manufacturers have gained far more commercial notoriety such as SigSauer, Glock, Beretta, Walther, Steyr Mannlicher, Browning, etc. But HK did introduce some interesting designs and concepts such as the P7 Squeezecocker. And when it comes to automatics buying american is par too.

Gyon Banex
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:33:19 AM
Glock and Sig are the best European pistols, I think. I still prefer a Colt 1911 or a good Smith & Wesson to them though.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 17th, 2003, 01:36:11 PM
Originally posted by Gyon Banex
Glock and Sig are the best European pistols, I think.

Indeed they are. I would include the slim concealable .380 Walther PPK also (James Bond's traditional sidearm.)

I still prefer a Colt 1911 or a good Smith & Wesson to them though.

You certainly can't go wrong with them. Springfield Armory is another great producer of automatics.

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:15:06 PM
I have now purchased the most technologically advanced large-caliber carry pistol in the world. >D

Praise me! Praise me!

(click)

I SAID PRAISE ME!!!1!

:shootin

:cool

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:15:51 PM
.....X-treme? :)

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:19:41 PM
I didn't make the name ^_^;

I think its a bit lame, but hey...for the way the gun performs, I'll take a generation X geared moniker.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:28:42 PM
youre gonna put your eye out with that thing!

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:29:44 PM
Hopefully not!

Figrin D'an
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:50:03 PM
Methinks if he were to put his eye out, his brain and part of his skull would go with it.

Which, of course, would be very bad.

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:03:08 PM
Yes, I'll stick to other people's eyes...

...or maybe just watermelons and soda cans :)

Ishan Shade
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:09:54 PM
Haven't you made multiple threads all about you-your gun-your looking for a gun-you buying a gun-ect?

Couldn't just post in the other one?

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:16:30 PM
lemme merge then.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:54:58 AM
Congrats on your newest acquisition! If I were purchase another automatic it would either be SigArms formerly SigSauer (again), Smith & Wesson, or the new rising star of D/A autos... Springfield Armory.

Also should consider taking a closer look at Steyr-Mannlicher and HK.

Hmm... a gun bug might be going around these boards. >D

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:12:46 PM
Its just an absolute rush. Holding that kind of power in your hands and letting Hell loose as fast as you can pull the trigger, tearing whatever's on the other side of the barrel. Feeling the recoil and the displaced air thump around you, and watching the brass spin in the air as you burn through a mag.

And then when you're spent, the sheer sound of a mag sliding out of the grip, only to hear another one go in, and that slider to SLAM that first new round into the chamber...

...oh man, it gives me chills :cool

Charley
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:21:26 AM
I've had some time to get acquainted with my gun, (short of live rounds firing), and I am very impressed. The slide is noticably heavier than a glock or sigma, but the weight trends a bit forward, which is good for maintaing accuracy and dampening recoil. The trigger pull is a bit longer than a Glock's pull, but not as wonky as breaking the tension on a sigma trigger (partially because the design of the trigger emulates a Glock instead of a Sigma, thank God). The grip is fabulous, designed on the 11 degree grading, same as a Colt 1911. I like it better than the Glock's grip, which is at 27 degrees, because it's just a more natural feel for the hand, not to mention there aren't any lame finger grooves, which I wasn't a fan of anyway. The 11 degree grip also facilitates a fluid magazine release. Even holding with the muzzle vertical, I can fully eject the chrome-plated magazine each time. Glock polymer magazines seem a little reluctant to fully eject. I've heard rumors of competition Glock shooters using armor-all to cause them to fall easier, but that just doesn't appeal to me. I really like how smooth the magazines are.

The SIG-style takedown is MUCH easier on the fingers than the Glock's twin-button slide release, at least for me. Its just a flip of the thumb and you can work the action free. However, both the ambidextrous magazine release button and the slide catch are rather stiff, requiring a bit more force than anything I've used previously. Also, the lip under the slide catch is thin, which could be a problem for people who hold their guns and ride the thumb high. I don't do this, so it doesn't bother me, but to those that ride high, it could cause the slide to lock out of battery mid-firing, which is an annoyance. Just mind your thumbs and you should do just fine.

Charley
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:05:45 PM
Well, I finally got to go out to the range tonight, and put 180 rounds of FMJ through my gun, flawlessly. It fired a decent spread at 7 and 15 meters, firing at maximum cycle. The kickback is pretty low for a .40, which was great. The trigger action pulls light 2/3rds of the way down, and tenses just short of releasing the striker. I like that alot. You know exactly where the critical amount of force comes in. After 180 rounds, the spot between my thumb and index finger was a bit sore, but that seems normal in firing for any extended period.

Overall, it's a smashing success. I enjoy my gun very much.