PDA

View Full Version : Car People...

Abagael Zellan
May 14th, 2003, 12:22:41 PM
I just bought a 1962 (I think) Ford Galaxie 500 X/L for twelve hundred bucks. I'm really happy with the car but my brother told me that I got taken and that I'm an idiot for shelling out that amount. I thought it was more than reasonable but he knows more about these things that I do. So now I'm wondering if I did get taken.

But I'm not sure.

:(

Sejah Haversh
May 14th, 2003, 12:36:57 PM
Okay, if the body is straight, it's got at least the 289 V-8 and it runs good, and the interior is in highlevel shape, you got a decent deal. If the body is sort of crummy and the interior is shot, but your engine and transmission still work, give me your engine.

I need one. Badly.

But, seriously, the Galaxie is a good car, and if you've got the Winsor 351, which I think you do on that model, it WILL eat gas, but you've got plenty of power. $1200 for a decent Galaxie of that year is fine. I've got a '67 Falcon that I paid about $700 for, and it died on me later, but, I'm still happy with it. It just needs a new engine.

You might have been taken just a little bit, I probably would ahve maxed at a grand if it didn't have the 351, but, if it did, and it was well taken care off, $1200 is nothing to be ashamed of. And, if it does have the 351, don't expect it to haul like a muscle car. That car weighs nearly two tons, if I remember right. Big, heavy land yacht, but a nice car.

Mu Satach
May 14th, 2003, 01:42:45 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Galaxies...
but a quick look at ebay and they are going for about what you paid and a lot more...
http://listings.ebaymotors.com/pool1/plistings/list/all/category6233/index.html?from=R0

Sejah Haversh
May 14th, 2003, 02:20:35 PM
The Galaxie was Ford's best full-size car of the time, except for perhaps the Thunderbird, but I'm not sure of the size of that model that year. A well-maintained Galaxie with the 351, and manual if you could get it, is worth a fair amount. But, a mid-to-lower-end model isn't worth a whole ton. I still say you got a decent deal. Lemme know if you want to part with that engine and tranny, though...