PDA

View Full Version : ACC to expand

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 09:27:08 AM
Anybody see this

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0513/1553257.html

They want Miami and then two other schools from the Big East. Syracuse, BC, and VA Tech are all mentioned. First I think its stupid to put BC and Syracuse in the ACC they aren't in the south, I see Boehim isn't happy about either and if he causes enough trouble I can't see Syracuse leaving the big east, not sure about BC and VA Tech and haven't heard what they are saying on the matter. I guess we shall have to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Figrin D'an
May 14th, 2003, 01:32:54 PM
This has been rumored for a month now. Miami really initiated the process, through their AD talking to the ACC commissioner. The problem at first, seemed to be convincing enough of the existing ACC schools to vote for expansion. 7 of the 9 would have to vote yes, and at first, both Duke and UNC were opposed, with Virgina undecided. But, during the annual conference meeting, it seems they achieved the necessary vote count.

Now, it comes down to inter-school politics. Miami is ready to join, but they say they want Syracuse to come with them, plus one other school... preferably Boston College. However, Virgina says they want Virgina Tech to be one of the three, and that they will likely vote against the expansion process if Tech isn't on the list.

It's a bit of a mess, but I have a feeling that at the very least, Miami is going to end up in the ACC, giving them 10 schools and an option to split into two divisions. Miami and Florida State will end up in opposite divisions, for football purposes (which is of course, the driving force behind all of this). If Miami leaves the Big East, they can withstand the hit. But, if three schools leave (Miami plus any combination of Syracuse, BC and Va Tech), the Big East is dead as a major conference.

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 04:50:33 PM
At least for Football, I think it would survive in Basketball with UConn, Providence, Georgetown, etc that would give them 11 schools and I read somewhere they might try to lure a couple of schools from the A-10 or C-USA to create a stronger league. I also read the Big East might make their own play by getting Notre Dame, Louisville and one other to make 12 teams to keep Miami in. It is going to be a huge mess, IMO.

BUFFJEDI
May 14th, 2003, 05:00:28 PM
I think it sucks.I remember when they decided to put Florida state in the ACC I hated that alot,and I was just a kid.The ACC is perfect the way it is LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!Of course I wouldn't mind if they put the longhorns in there but even I know that's nowhere near the atlantic coast ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 05:02:09 PM
I agree Buff if that was bad, I didn't know Syracuse was anywhere near the south.

BUFFJEDI
May 14th, 2003, 05:04:02 PM
Me either:zzz

Figrin D'an
May 14th, 2003, 05:09:07 PM
They'll still be hurting big time, even if they can lure teams from Conference USA like Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis. I doubt Notre Dame will give serious consideration to joining in football, unless the Big East can promise them more money than they make from their NBC contract, and they're confident enough that they can win the conference title every year (ie. Miami, Syracuse and Virgina Tech would all have to leave). The chance of both of those things coming true is virtually zero.

Conference USA could end up losing big, if this whole thing dominos...

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 05:57:24 PM
Yeah it might but I would rather see the Big East still around than C-USA there is more history for the Big East.

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 09:55:46 PM
Here is all the possible scenerios that could happen for the 2003 season, I have to say its a mess

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/s/2003/0514/1553593.html

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 09:59:52 PM
Here is Vitale's opinion I have to completely agree with him

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn030514BigEast-ACC.html

CMJ
May 16th, 2003, 07:30:02 PM
Don't get me started. The ACC basically just wants an extra Bowl game(which is what the conference championship games are).

It just makes me ill.

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2003, 07:32:10 PM
Sorry Court, I don't like it at all. First it would hurt my Tigers if Miami is in there they will get hurt they will go from top 5 to bottom 5, I feel. I think this is a bad thing. Plus how is Boston and Syacuse considered to be in the south?

CMJ
May 16th, 2003, 07:36:50 PM
Well Miami will do nothing in basketball(that's for Syracuse to do), but would really solidify the ACC as a FB powerhouse.

Figrin D'an
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:54:19 PM
Figured I'd bring this back too the top, seeing as how the final decision was made... Miami and Virgina Tech are both moving to the ACC, starting in 2004. They'll remain in the Big East for the 2003 football season and the 2003/04 basketball season, then make the move to the ACC for 2004 football season.

The big question now will be... what will become of the Big East's automatic BCS bid? They are going to lose the top two football programs in their conference, and you can bet that some of the smaller conferences will start petitioning for it to be made into a third at-large bid. (Of course... there is still talk of potentially adding a 5th game to the BCS series, which changes everything.)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 1st, 2003, 01:27:34 AM
Well Louisville will join the Big East I feel they will also add Xavier and Marquette to Basketball they are defintely better than Va Tech and Miami in Basketball, if that happens they become one of the top three basketball conferences. Still football would be a problem would Louisville be enough to keep its BCS bid? They could try to add South Florida or Cincinnatti for another school to go with Louisville, I guess we shall see how this all unfolds.

JMK
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:46:07 AM
This whole thing was such a circus and was a riot to follow. I think there are going to be many more laughs to come!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:30:48 AM
I think its going to be a future mess and C-USA will be the conference to get gutted next.

CMJ
Jul 1st, 2003, 12:28:22 PM
Actually I think C-USA will be okay. The WAC and Sunbelt are who will be hurt.

I've read about 90 different scenario's the last few weeks. :p

Jedieb
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:06:39 PM
Go South Florida!!!!! A REAL conference for my old school. Ah, to dream....

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:57:43 PM
Yeah that would be cool Jedieb I think South Florida could compete in the Big East right now. Louisville or West Virginia looks like the best team in that conference at the moment.

Jedieb
Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:55:41 PM
I don't know if I'd be crazy enough to go see the Bulls play in West Virginia. All I ever hear from VATech graduates is what a hell hole that stadium is. Flying empty whiskey bottles are a half time entertainment staple. Crazy hicks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:43:57 PM
LOL those mountaineer fains do seem a little insane. You could go see them play in Louisville how far is that from you?

CMJ
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:21:02 PM
West Virginia fans may be bad, but I doubt they're as brutal as some fans down south. Texas Tech fans are notoriously classless for example.

Figrin D'an
Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:33:49 PM
I think every conference has at least one school whose fans are invariably complete jackasses.

In the Big Ten, it's Michigan, with Wisconsin a close second.

CMJ
Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:01:59 PM
True enough Figrin. In Lubbok(at Tech) we had fans spit at us. Niiiiice. ;)

I can't think of utter wastes of fans in the Sunbelt though. It's probably becuase we're fairly new as a league.

Then again I never visited all the stadiums...one of my conference foes might be trash.