PDA

View Full Version : Punisher signs up Travolta

ReaperFett
May 14th, 2003, 01:13:13 AM
From SHH:

According to Variety, Artisan Pictures and Marvel Studios have set John Travolta to play the lead villain opposite Thomas Jane in the adaptation, which Jonathan Hensleigh is directing from his own script. Filming begins in July, for a summer 2004 release. The trade gives the following description:

"The Punisher" is the tale of an FBI undercover agent who, just as he's completed his last mission that will lead to a cushy desk job, sees his family slaughtered. He becomes single-mindedly determined to exact revenge. Travolta plays Howard Saint, a former underworld figure who goes straight but returns to old habits after his son is slain. The two men square off against one another.

"Howard Saint is not a one-dimensional villain, but a real person with a believable character arc," said Artisan Pictures production president Richard Saperstein. "John brings intelligence and humanity to that character."

"We spent a lot of time discussing the role, and the things he would bring to make the villain unique," said Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad, who's producing with Gale Anne Hurd. "That proved to be the attraction. John is a great endorsement for the comic, which has been a big property for Marvel."

I think this is good news. Mainly because Im getting a big John Woo riff from that plot, and Travolta is perfect for that.

Sanis Prent
May 14th, 2003, 05:18:05 AM
The death knell has sounded for the Punisher. Travolta has made utter crap lately.

JMK
May 14th, 2003, 05:44:22 AM
Swordfish brought my faith in him back quite a bit, but this signing doesn't do alot for me yet.

ReaperFett
May 14th, 2003, 08:15:41 AM
So Sanis, did Pulp Fiction get a death knell? :rolleyes

Sejah Haversh
May 14th, 2003, 09:12:30 AM
Pulp Fiction was trash. Utter crap. It was only bearable because the crappy plot was ripped up and then randomly thrown back together. That, and Travolta was nothing to be impressed by in it.

As a villain, it might work for him, but, I just find the disco king to be too chummy and hammy of an actor, and I can't say that I've really been too impressed with his work since, well, ever. He's just too smiley and, well, not believable enough.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 14th, 2003, 01:48:27 PM
I liked Basic. And Broken Arrow. And I enjoyed Face/Off quite a bit. Also, The General's Daughter was fairly good, imo.

But I have no taste in movies. I'll probably even LIKE the Punisher.

Sanis Prent
May 14th, 2003, 06:05:21 PM
Fett, Pulp Fiction was Travolta's comeback. He had a few good movies after that, but in the past few years, he's made a ton of stinkers.

JMK
May 14th, 2003, 08:50:08 PM
I think Battlefield Earth really hit his career hard.
Then he had a couple snoozers like A Civil Action or whatever.

Droo
May 14th, 2003, 08:52:28 PM
Pulp Fiction...I've still never been able to sit through that abomination. >_<

I like most of Travolta's work though. I like Travolta.

Sage Hazzard
May 15th, 2003, 01:27:31 AM
I once saw a movie about a bubble boy he was in. I thought he was fantastic, for a young actor. He's kind of gone hill since then though, it seems. I have hopes for this movie though. :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 15th, 2003, 02:07:02 AM
There goes the death of Punisher. Travolta was good once, but that was a long tinme ago.

And add another vote for Pulp Fiction to be a stinker of a movie

HunterJodoKast
May 15th, 2003, 02:08:13 AM
I wonder why after the recent disasters especially directorially, why would Travolta choose such a small role in such a small film. His L. Ron Hubbard worship must have pickled his brain.

Oh and Pulp Fiction was an excellent film. I loved it. A super soundtrack combined with a flagerant disregard of the notion of ever taking itself truly serious. Very violent and very clever movie. A day in the life tale from the underworld fringes of society. It lives up to it's namesake, Tarantino's best effort yet.

ReaperFett
May 15th, 2003, 02:33:44 AM
I think Travolta is clever enough to know that playing villain in a $30m film is better than expecting to keep getting $20m a movie. A few actors have done similar.

Lann Kirauc
May 15th, 2003, 03:59:32 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I think Travolta is clever enough to know that playing villain in a $30m film is better than expecting to keep getting $20m a movie. A few actors have done similar.

He is only getting $20m a movie? Anyways that is a detail you left out. ;)

Pulp Fiction rules! A great movie that rocks from the opening scene to the last one. It takes you on a dark humorous ride into the criminal underworld. It's one fun thrill ride to watch. *chuckles*

Oh man, that soundtrack is quite addictive too!

ReaperFett
May 15th, 2003, 05:11:45 AM
Well, he has got 20m for some movies, put it that way :)

But he wont be getting it this time. 2/3 of the budget is a lot ;)