PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica returns

Cylon Centurion
May 12th, 2003, 07:45:52 PM
Besides Star Wars, this was my favorite Sci Fi as a kid. I use to fight it out between Tie Fighters and Vipers for fun. Those were the days. Now the show is coming back 25 years later. The first photos from set look promising so I do expect big things from it.

/images/BSG/ep0103.jpg

I do hope this ends up being better than the original. The casting so far is pretty good with Olmos and McDonnell on board. Also, the video game looks like it will be pretty good.

Admiral Lebron
May 12th, 2003, 07:49:40 PM
Yeah.. I saw the previous a few weeks ago during the last episode of Farscape.

Sanis Prent
May 12th, 2003, 08:00:06 PM
This makes baby Jesus cry. What a horrible horrible idea.

Jinn Fizz
May 12th, 2003, 08:21:04 PM
Personally, I loved BG when I was a little girl. I had the most massive crush on Richard Hatch! :love

I always thought the series showed great promise, although the second half of the one season that was produced was much weaker than the first half. But ABC not only showed little faith in the show by yanking it, they also gave us that atrocity known as Galactia 1980. :x

At the San Diego Comic Con 2 years ago, we caught the last part of Richard Hatch's presentation on the future of BG...he was working very hard to keep the franchise alive, and spending a lot of his own money doing it. One of the things he did was create a trailer of sorts to show to studios to get them interested in the idea. He showed the trailer at this presentation, and the audience went absolutely berserk. There is a lot of interest in seeing BG have another chance at life, and if done properly, I think it could be a huge smash. :)

And it also means that Galactica 1980 never existed. :D

Oh, and Cylons rock. Big time. :crack

Morgan Evanar
May 12th, 2003, 08:59:21 PM
They killed Farscape for this.

:cries:

Those bastards. If they should bring anything back, it should be Space: Above and Beyond.

Darth Viscera
May 13th, 2003, 04:02:29 AM
^
That was a great show!
Space: Above and Beyond I mean

Cylon Centurion
May 13th, 2003, 05:38:05 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
They killed Farscape for this.

:cries:

Those bastards. If they should bring anything back, it should be Space: Above and Beyond.
Actually, they killed Farscape for Tremors.

Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Personally, I loved BG when I was a little girl. I had the most massive crush on Richard Hatch!
Here's a pic of the new Apollo played by Jamie Bamber.
/images/BSG/lee.jpg

Exterior shot of the Viper MarkVII.
/images/BSG/bsg35.jpg

Jinn Fizz
May 13th, 2003, 07:02:48 AM
Vipers are cool too! :crack

Well, Mr. Centurion, it seems like maybe I'm the only one on your side in this issue :( , but trust me, like I said before, the reaction at Comic Con shows that there definitely is interest in a revival for BG. I'll be watching the miniseries, that's for sure. :)

Cylon Centurion
May 13th, 2003, 11:02:04 AM
Thanks Jinn Fizz.

I think there is interest for it and the new script is simply fantastic. If Battlestar Galactica was ever going to come back, this is the proper way to do it.

/images/BSG/bsg20.jpg

Soolin Anjhurin
May 13th, 2003, 12:11:21 PM
We Want Farscape Season Five!!!!! :verymad

Jedieb
May 13th, 2003, 12:34:26 PM
I'll miss Lorne Greene, but I'd be willing to give this new version a shot. That last season that was BG 1980 was simply horrendous. They're doing the right thing by pretending it never happened.

BUFFJEDI
May 13th, 2003, 05:35:22 PM
I actually can't wait for this :) I loved it as A child.I along with EB(s) I'll miss greene. I hope they did a good casting job. I would have made a Great Apollo :) Notice how I alway's would have made a Great Anything;)

Cylon Centurion
May 13th, 2003, 07:56:20 PM
Oscar nominated actor from "Stand By Me" Edward James Olmos is playing Commander Adama. If anyone could do justice to Greene's character, I think Olmos would be the one.

Mu Satach
May 13th, 2003, 08:12:28 PM
I'm looking forward to it.
I always looked forward to when the Vipers would launch.
In fact I think that's part of the reason I love flying... I love getting pushed back into my seat during take off. :D

Though, I do want to destroy all those attached to Tremors.
I want my Farscape back! :verymad

Sanis Prent
May 13th, 2003, 08:52:54 PM
I could neither give a damn about BG nor Farscape. I want Space: Above and Beyond back, now.

Cylon Centurion
May 13th, 2003, 09:12:58 PM
I happen to like BG and Farscape. I still can't believe they brought Tremors to replace Farscape. What a really awful show Tremors is.

James Callis as Gaius Baltar
/images/BSG/gaius.jpg

Dae Jinn
May 13th, 2003, 09:19:44 PM
*gets all those shows and doesn't watch a single one* :uhoh

We still have S:A&B, Farscape and the old BG here :lol And I think we're getting Tremors as well :x

Mu Satach
May 14th, 2003, 11:15:34 AM
I want S:A&B back as well. >={

Cylon Centurion
May 14th, 2003, 12:33:35 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
I want S:A&B back as well. >={
I love Space:Above and Beyond for it's realistic approach to science fiction. Unfortunately, space operas have not done well enough in ratings to justify their costs to the TV execs. Instead they want shows like Scare Tactics and Tremors.

Battlestar Galactica is a big gamble for the Sci Fi Network. The budget for the pilot is $16 million which dwarfs the cost of Tremor's pilot and Scare Tactics' pilot. If it succeeds, it will prove to network executives that big budget space opera can make it. It would be nice to see shows like BG and S:A&B return to television. Too bad we have to wait for December to see Galactica.
/images/BSG/bsg21.jpg

Admiral Lebron
May 14th, 2003, 06:34:41 PM
Space Above and Beyond was my favorite show ... apart from simpsons.

Cylon Centurion
May 14th, 2003, 07:02:03 PM
I always loved Kristen Cloke from Space:Above and Beyond.
http://www.gaga.ne.jp/final/images/cloke.gif

Soolin Anjhurin
May 14th, 2003, 07:06:39 PM
$16 Million???? Now I'm furious. Sci Fi Channel can go to hell.

Cylon Centurion
May 14th, 2003, 07:32:12 PM
Originally posted by Soolin Anjhurin
$16 Million???? Now I'm furious. Sci Fi Channel can go to hell.
The only reason it received the $16 million budget was because the parent company Vivendi Universal Studios threw the extra dollars in. When they signed two Oscar nominees and landed Hugo-Award winning screenwriter Ron Moore to write the screenplay, the dollars came.

Soolin Anjhurin
May 14th, 2003, 07:35:32 PM
okay. Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I really don't. I'm gonna leave this thread alone now. :(

Cylon Centurion
May 14th, 2003, 07:38:53 PM
Your more than welcome on this thread. I am HUGE FARSCAPE FAN!!! I have all the DVDs thus far. I was very disappointed when they killed Farscape for Tremors. I have no idea what Bonnie Hammer was thinking when she made that choice.

Mu Satach
May 15th, 2003, 02:59:55 PM
Sometimes I wonder if all the stuff the Henson company has been going through with it's multiple sells and whatnot didn't factor in the decision somewhere to ax Farscape.

Cylon Centurion
May 15th, 2003, 04:10:56 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Sometimes I wonder if all the stuff the Henson company has been going through with it's multiple sells and whatnot didn't factor in the decision somewhere to ax Farscape.
It played a factor and also Bonnie Hammer's preference for lower budget shows aided it as well. I hope Battlestar Galactica proves her wrong and that the Sci Fi Channel can do big budget TV shows.

Jedieb
May 15th, 2003, 05:13:28 PM
Olmos playing Adama is great casting. Although I'm surprised he took the role. It's not something I thought he'd be interested in. It's a given that his performance is going to solid. I can't wait for the first scene in which Apollo and Starbuck get called into Adama's office for busting up a drug deal by shooting up a Miami night club and killing every Cylon in sight. Sweeeeeet.

Cylon Centurion
May 15th, 2003, 06:14:12 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Olmos playing Adama is great casting. Although I'm surprised he took the role. It's not something I thought he'd be interested in. It's a given that his performance is going to solid. I can't wait for the first scene in which Apollo and Starbuck get called into Adama's office for busting up a drug deal by shooting up a Miami night club and killing every Cylon in sight. Sweeeeeet.
Olmos was a surprise to Universal Studios. Apparently, he read the script and he wanted to be a part of it. Same thing with Mary McDonnell and how she joined th cast. Both were major coups which secured a good budget for the pilot.