View Full Version : Char. Pic Informational Poll

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 02:10:44 PM
Please answer these questions to the best of your ability:

1. Do you think we should have a fully searchable database of all the character pics in use?

2. Would you be willing to do that, or is that just a "someone should" statement?

3. Have you noticed a problem with threads about character pics cluttering up OOC?

4. Have you had a problem with someone using your same character pic that was not resolved quickly and easily?

5. Do you think we really need to stress out about this 'issue?'

6. If so, why?

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 02:20:31 PM
1) That's basically what we have at this point. Or as close to it as you can get without making it mandatory to declare that you're using a character. Some people may have an irrational hatred of the GJO for whatever reasons, but it's still there and it still will turn up on a board-wide search. It doesn't get much more functional than that.

But if you're talking about something like Tondry suggested, than no. Reasons are as follows:

2) Even if someone says "Sure, I'll do it", I'm highly doubtful that they'd be able to keep it constantly updated indefinitely. It would be tedious and annoying, especially given the frequency with which some people change character pics. Furthermore, it'd basically just be the GJO thread, possibly a little more organized looking.

3) Yes. It's a problem at the moment, but not usually one.

4) No. The issue has been resolved very easily by simply stating "Hey, I'm using so-and-so".

5) No.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2003, 04:23:41 PM
Beyond being ever vigilant jerks, we can't really do too much about it beyond asking someone not to use the person.

This is really a non-issue, in the scheme of things.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2003, 04:41:46 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Beyond being ever vigilant jerks, we can't really do too much about it beyond asking someone not to use the person.

This is really a non-issue, in the scheme of things.

Pretty much, yeah. We'd have to have an SWFans KGB just to implement and maintain the system. We should avoid that kind of bureacracy if possible.

I think this is one of those instances in which the RPers as a whole can better police the situation than the staff can. If need be, a mod can be brought in to settle a dispute on a case-by-case basis if there is a problem. In most instances, if someone brings up potential image grab, someone will be able to identify if it's being used within a short amount of time, and it resolves itself.

Non-issue, IMO.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 04:45:12 PM
Thanks, that was my point.

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2003, 08:45:35 PM
Yep kinda have to agree with fig and fewd... I had a few instances of pic problems that no one knows about cuz I pmed them and problem was solved.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2003, 08:53:33 PM
Install sublty, problem solved.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 09:16:04 PM
Well, my point was more about the currect discussion about a "database" but n.e.wayz

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 11:25:52 PM
I have no freaking clue where that whole thing in the OOC forum started... Verra verra odd, if you ask me. Granted, it is a pain in the arse to dig through, and not all people (esp. new people) know where it is and how to search it but still... Most people are highly visible and will also be very nice about correcting an error.

Oh well, water under the bridge.

Pierce Tondry
May 12th, 2003, 11:23:21 AM
People could've approached this a lot more helpfully, IMO.

Has the idea of linking this database thread to the RPing FAQ been shot down? I just think it might be wise, since it is reference material more than anything else.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
May 12th, 2003, 01:39:13 PM
I shouldnt have gotten angry....it was silly of me and I apologise for it.

I wasnt trying to be stubborn. It seemed to me that the OOC forum made more sense. That was all I was questioning.

Im sorry for arguing publicly with Fett.

DarthHERA
May 12th, 2003, 02:08:44 PM
k, so do I get to spank Daiq for being naughty?

Seriously - its a non-issue. People usually speak up if someone had inadvertantly taken someone elses pic.

And while an alphabetical list of all the Actors taken would be conveninent..how pampered do SWFans posters got to be??

Lord Soth
May 12th, 2003, 02:39:15 PM
Well, it’s been my experience that if someone is using a currant pic that someone else has claimed, it was pretty much handled over IM or via PMing...If there is a discrepancy or real prob. concerning a particular pic in question then a Mod or Addie would step in and register dates would be compared...

However, I went ahead and posted some of the main CHR's I RP with, nevertheless, it all ends up being the same way in the end...PMimg or IMing the person who's using it...Most people in general don’t take the time anyway to sift through a long roster of name’s let alone a extensive thread to see who’s using what.

But hey, what ever works, that’s just my take on it.

SAURRON
May 12th, 2003, 11:54:50 PM
4. Have you had a problem with someone using your same character pic that was not resolved quickly and easily?

Yes.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 13th, 2003, 01:50:10 AM
Poor Saurron, you're right.

Want me to put the "mod smackdown" on them for you, or has it been resolved yet?

SAURRON
May 13th, 2003, 03:38:30 PM
Well, I only posted in the ooc, and had not sent Jared a pm. So, I suppose I should do that first. He has an earlier start up date at fans than does Gavin. However, Gavin has had Dorffs pic since when DT was using Neo's. So the question is how long has DT been using the Neo pic and that will put you with in days of when Dorff came to be for Gavin.

It was some time ago I can tell you that.

DT?

SAURRON
May 17th, 2003, 04:12:24 PM
Jared,

I have been informed that you are using the same chr pic that I am using for my Gavin character. The actor Steven Dorff has been in use for well over a year, and for as long as Marcus has been using Neo. Please stop using it and find another pic for your character.

Thank you

Saurron/Gavin

This pm was sent to him moments ago. I wil inform if there needs to be a mod smackdown as Holly put it.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 17th, 2003, 06:20:53 PM
Sounds good to me. :)

SAURRON
May 20th, 2003, 12:47:00 AM
Ok, no pm back to me but I did find this that pretty much shows he was not thinking of using the Dorff pics until the date of the post.

Jared the Mad Edit | Quote | Reply Search | Report | IP

PM | Profile | Buddy
Seeker of Chickens that go CLUCK! in the night.

Okay, it's not much, but it's a living

05-09-03 08:39 PM Post #464

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
sig for Jared the Mad (Mate, rethink the pics. Those three are going to be hard to work with)

http://www.movieclub.com/spotlight/dorff/dorff.gif
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/stephendorff/2.html
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/stephendorff/images/6.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/stephendorff/7.html
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/stephendorff/images/7.jpg

Or you can just do a google search for Stephen Dorff and get a couple pages of stuff. Use the older versions; Blade, FearDotCom, Dueces Wild, etc.

Get em LD lol

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2003, 04:11:56 AM
Has he read the PM? Did you have the "get read receipt" button marked? If he's read it and isn't replying, I'll bash him in the head with a tire iron for ya.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Charley
May 20th, 2003, 05:01:00 AM
I'll do it for real, if you've got enough money.

SAURRON
May 20th, 2003, 01:17:45 PM
Dunno you sound pretty pricey to me LL

LD I sent it again with receipt option.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2003, 03:32:08 PM
Ok cool.

Charley, be good. :mneh

SAURRON
May 20th, 2003, 06:04:19 PM
I got a twenty and some lint...I think its lint. o_O

Marcus Telcontar
May 20th, 2003, 07:10:01 PM
Cancel the order for Jared's sig, I've been informed that Dorff has been used for nearly a year, with only twenty posts in one RP, on 'Fans. I'll apply again later whence I have found another pic..

Looks like there's your answer.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2003, 07:45:03 PM
*pokes Saurron* Now, RP more.

:p

SAURRON
May 20th, 2003, 09:21:55 PM
Pokes her back making her shift her weight :D

Uhmm I think I am a better poker than you ;)

Sides...he's in the biggest damn rp that is on fans currently, what more do ya want?!?

with only twenty posts in one RP
Not quite the issue though is it? Gavin existed far before VB was thought of. He is a sub chr, a second for me and as I have stated before, those that know me know my time limits here.

Nevertheless, I do thank you DT for posting your info. I do appreciate it.