PDA

View Full Version : Char pic thread

Taylor Millard
May 10th, 2003, 05:03:21 PM
Daiq brought up a good point (something I'd thought of too but didn't want to clutter up OOC forum)...

Would it be easier to move it to OOC Forum and Sticky it or is it best to keep it at GJO?

ReaperFett
May 10th, 2003, 05:06:28 PM
GJO. That way, you dont get people constantly just adding to the list. Marcus' idea, Marcus' place :)

Doesnt work anyway. I registered Jennifer Garner ages ago. Couple of you even saw the sig. So how the fuck is there someone else who posts in there saying THEY use her? PEOPLE DONT READ! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2003, 06:29:44 PM
Yeah it doesn't really work. I mean, its a good idea, because then when someone posts their character choice there, you can jump in and say "look at page so and so, here is the character profile and sig, and I already use that picture."

So, its still a good idea. And people can post wherever they want. I don't want to suggest taking a thread out of GJO and stickying it up on the main board. Bad form, its from another board, techinically. But to impose the rule that everyone should post in that thread at GJO also won't work. I think we should just suggest people use what's there, and if they dont' want to, that's cool.

My $0.02

Taylor Millard
May 10th, 2003, 10:24:32 PM
All right well I was just trying to unclutter the OOC forum with character claim threads.

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2003, 09:51:13 AM
There really aren't that many threads to begin with in OOC on that nature. It was good to link it tho so some can see that there is a thread somewhere on this board.

Course... hopefully daiq and fett won't heat up more ...

:: glares at fett ::

:p

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 09:55:45 AM
*glares back in a less intimidating way*

:)

Apparently she doesnt go to the GJO because of me, according to that thread. Strange when I post in OOC more than I ever did in GJO :)

Anyway, one thought about it. To use the thread properly, you have to search the thread, right? And you have to read the related posts, to check someone didnt just mention a person. So, you have to use the search option at the top. And you'd have to specify forum, to make sure that you dont get all the other mentions from the movie forums, for example, right?

So, the only difference is about 6-8 notches down on the pulldown :)

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2003, 10:16:19 AM
yeah... I was thinking about that too because that thread is ridiculously long at the gjo .. good point about the search

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 10:22:38 AM
Apparently she doesnt go to the GJO because of meActually, I believe it's because she has issues with another one of the posters at the GJO. Not to say you aren't necessarily a factor, but probably not the main one. Less martyrdom, thanks.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 10:25:13 AM
If it was "martyrdom", wouldnt I bring it up in the thread? So people would see it?

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 12:05:01 PM
I don't know why you're all up on Daiq's ass. She is merely saying she doesn't cruise GJO, and many people don't. Doesn't make her stubborn.

It's a general thing, that does not just apply to GJO, so why shouldn't a reference (if you're going to make one) be in a general space?

I just read this thread, but I offered a suggesstion that maybe people can note their character in their profile for search reasons. You've already suggested a search. You can read it in the other thread if ya want.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 12:54:04 PM
Ok I have another 2 cents:

Be glad that 'arguement' ended before I came unglued at all this childish arguing.

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 01:18:19 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
If it was "martyrdom", wouldnt I bring it up in the thread? So people would see it? No, that'd be drama. :p I'm not saying you're going for pity, but you're making yourself out to be the responsible party when you're not. Aside from probably being pissed at you for the thread, she probably didn't have anything against you, previously. [/Off Topic]

I do have to agree with LD on this one: It's all completely childish. The link is in OOC, the thread is at the GJO. It's a referance to be helpful, not an official "You can't use these characters at SWFans" thread.

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 01:58:16 PM
Hey I'm willing to go through the Char request thread and delete every single post that has nothing to do with pics, if need be. Or move it into it's own seperate thread.

With my sleep cycle I could do with the work.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 02:04:39 PM
Taylor, that's a GJO thread and its GJO business what they want to do with it. I hate all this talk about "moving" the thread, because unless you get the GJO's permission its a moot point anyway.

-_-

Yes, I'm probably a raving lunatic today. I closed and moved my own thread, because I didn't trust myself to say anything nice at all to Pierce. Its in the Group Mod's forum, which is where this Character pic discussion should probably be taking place.

Other thing to note: There are only three threads concerning character pics on the first page. Why not just merge them all into one? Why all the drama? Why?

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 02:09:44 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Taylor, that's a GJO thread and its GJO business what they want to do with it. I hate all this talk about "moving" the thread, because unless you get the GJO's permission its a moot point anyway.

-_-

Yes, I'm probably a raving lunatic today. I closed and moved my own thread, because I didn't trust myself to say anything nice at all to Pierce. Its in the Group Mod's forum, which is where this Character pic discussion should probably be taking place.

Other thing to note: There are only three threads concerning character pics on the first page. Why not just merge them all into one? Why all the drama? Why?

Well one reason I brought it up in here was so we could discuss it out and see if it was a good idea. Then, if we decided that moving the thread from Arcan to GJO was a good thing...we could present it to the mods over at GJO and then let them make a decision on whether to move it or not.

If they say yes, then we move it. If they say no, we ask why, give reasons why it should be moved, and if they're not convinced then we don't move it.

As for your rant, I had no problem with it, save for it being LD who posted it. If you'd done it as Arya or James it woulda 'caused less problem imo.

Well the first time I saw a character image request dealy, I moved it to the char request thread at GJO. Then after seeing 3 more pop up, I just posted a link to the thread at GJO.

*shrugs* Just trying to help.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 02:13:40 PM
I included a "I am not saying any of this in an official capacity" caveat.

-_- Does anyone think I do an ok job as a Moderator? I feel useless. I'm not looking for a pat on the back here, I'm asking for honesty.

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 02:15:17 PM
I included a "I am not saying any of this in an official capacity" caveat.

-_- Does anyone think I do an ok job as a Moderator? I feel useless. I'm not looking for a pat on the back here, I'm asking for honesty.

I think that might be best to do under a different thread. But you've been more diplomatic than I.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 02:17:32 PM
Because #2 and #3 might have only happened due to #1. That isnt a problem. What could happen though is that #2 makes #4 and #5, #3 makes #6 and #7...and so on. If you remember the character evaluation threads that happened once, within a week there was half a page of them.

As for your rant, I had no problem with it, save for it being LD who posted it. If you'd done it as Arya or James it woulda 'caused less problem imo.
Everyone knows they're LD though, so does it matter?

I dont think there was that much wrong with Holly's thread.

You do a good job. When there is an argument, you don't take a side, you don't only criticise one train of thought. Which is what a Mod "being a Mod" should do.

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 02:17:44 PM
I didn't see much drama, until people started saying it was ridiculous and immature. Fett and Daiq were arguing, but that's over. Then everyone started chimming in with how it was something big and painfull. That's where the drama started.

Obviously some people think there should be a way to reference it. As the staff, we can look at the idea.

I think there has been a lot of threads over it lately, and that's why it's the issue. I don't think we need to worry about it, but if we are worrying about it, my "two cents" are explained in the other forum.

I don't see why everyone's so touchy over it. It's just an IDEA. And a worthy one. How many times have we seen people create threads looking for a character. Sage picked like 5 before he found one someone wasn't using. A reference would save time and space. It's perfectly valid.

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 02:30:00 PM
There is a reason why I post under my Gurney account for all OOC issues now. Yes, I'd say 85-90% of the forum knows it's me. But by differentiating between that account and this one, it makes all the difference in the world between "I'm the admin and I'm being biased on this issue because I feel this way" and "I'm a poster at this board and this is how I feel".

I feel that you are an excellent addition to the staff here. I think you need to start posting OOC under a seperate account, however. From a purely objective standpoint, I'd say that you might come off as overly emotional (I'm inferring this from Tondry's post). Try reserving this account for RPing and making official statements, and pick one account for OOC purposes.

If a referance is really needed, how about something simple, like creating a thread in the OOC forum. It doesn't have to be a sticky thread or anything: Whenever someone needs it, they can just bump it up. If someone starts a new thread because they didn't know about the old one, just merge it.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 02:32:18 PM
I am overly emotional today, is there something WRONG with that? [/pms avenger]

point taken. But I've always used my LD account for OOC. Actually, I've just always used all my accounts interchangably.

imported_Eve
May 11th, 2003, 02:45:06 PM
I'm tame, but I am on codine. Want some Hol? Brian's response wasn't very nice anyway.

I am with Shawn on this, but not pertaining to Holly only. We're all human, but there has to be a distinction between when you're posting as a member, and when you're posting as a staff member.

Staff members shouldn't stir the pot. In the case, calling someone stubborn, childish, whatever. Here's another thread where it's the mods starting crap. Daiq wasn't instigating. Not all of us go to GJO!

If you post something here without expecting disagreements, you're coming from Bizarro world. Not everyone agrees on how things should be done. If something is brought up, we should be respectful to the idea, post suggestions, comments, etc., and that can all be done without insulting people.

There is already a thread Shawn, and they WANT to move it to OOC for reference. Or start one there for the same thing.

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 02:50:20 PM
That's what I was suggesting. I was just saying that I don't see the need for some kind of convoluted database.

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 02:55:08 PM
Right. Well a thread is best, because:
1 - It is searchable.
2 - People can edit it themselves.
3 - It is one place for everyone to look.
4 - Solves problem.

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 03:00:35 PM
That's what I was trying t'say we could do.

If you look at the GJO thread there're all these updates and stuff like that.

If we edit out the updates and the posts by characters who're no longer active, the thread wouldn't be 10 pages long...I see 3 updates done by me, 3 by Hera, 18,000 by Sieken...

If we have one thread it'd be much much simpler.

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 03:04:23 PM
Let's do that. I believe Figrin said we could move the thread. Trim it, tell people that they have to edit their original post if they want to make any changes and state that there will be no actual discussion in that thread: Just "I'm using this character".

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 03:05:51 PM
K I'll get to the trimming, after I go get some food.

Sticky or non-sticky it? ANd we're moving it to OOC correct?

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 03:14:24 PM
I personally don't like keeping up sticky topics for too long. I think it's annoying to have something sitting up there and taking up space when no one's posting to it.

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 03:33:53 PM
Yeah except for the fact it'll prolly get updated fairly regularly. Eh I don't think we need to sticky it just yet. If it remains a hot item it'll be up at the top.

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 03:35:34 PM
Yeah. It'll get bumped on it's own if people are posting to it. If not, I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find via search.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 03:35:37 PM
Waitasec. Cant we do the copy option rather than move?

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 03:36:59 PM
We could, yes. But don't you think it'll be confusing to have two copies of the same thread? People might post at the one in the GJO and not the one at SWFans. I don't really see any logical reason to keep two copies of the same thread.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 03:38:20 PM
Oh, not to keep. It's just that Figrin gave the Okay, not Marcus, who made the thread. This covers us (Well, you;)) :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 04:39:37 PM
suggestion: If a new thread is started, (honestly I have no idea what's going on with the thread that just got moved here) limit every poster to one post with all their characters. And then if they change a pic, they edit.

Or, if Taylor is posting them all, then a mod is going to have to edit every single time Vega or Seiken change their minds. :x

Shawn
May 11th, 2003, 04:47:08 PM
suggestion: If a new thread is started, (honestly I have no idea what's going on with the thread that just got moved here) limit every poster to one post with all their characters. And then if they change a pic, they edit.
Trim it, tell people that they have to edit their original post if they want to make any changes and state that there will be no actual discussion in that thread: Just "I'm using this character".

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 04:53:20 PM
Holly what Shawn said is exactly what I plan on doing.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 06:12:26 PM
:x sorry my brain is on "slow" mode

Taylor Millard
May 11th, 2003, 06:13:00 PM
Not a problem...

Here caffiene...that'll wake the brain up. :)

TheHolo.Net
May 11th, 2003, 07:59:20 PM
Looks like this is handled and handled well. Cool. :)

sonja
May 12th, 2003, 07:04:04 AM
Hey, how do you change the title of a thread? I figured you would do it by editing the first post? But it seems the title WAS changed and that doesn't show in the edit first post screen.

I was thinking editing the new title to include "(See post 99 for posting guidelines)".

TheHolo.Net
May 12th, 2003, 07:15:20 AM
Admin Options drop down while viewing the thread then "Edit Thread"