PDA

View Full Version : To all those who plan on claiming characters

Taylor Millard
May 10th, 2003, 01:13:16 PM
Please do it here (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29219) at the GJO where they all ready have a thread going.

Thank you.

ReaperFett
May 10th, 2003, 01:16:46 PM
Preach on Mod-type! :D

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
May 10th, 2003, 04:51:05 PM
I rarely go to GJO. Isnt it better to post it here where the majority of people come?

ReaperFett
May 10th, 2003, 05:04:11 PM
But you know it is there now :)

sonja
May 10th, 2003, 05:07:57 PM
I wouldn't see it at GJO myself. I agree with Daiq.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2003, 06:37:09 PM
It's only a suggestion, so that people can be aware of, and make use of, an extensive list of claims on pictures that have already been made.

If you don't want to use it, its no skin off my back. :) I hope. :uhoh

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
May 11th, 2003, 12:09:43 AM
But you know it is there now

And I still wont go. Claiming char pics, etc should be done where the majority of ppl go/look. And thats here.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2003, 01:42:03 AM
Maybe so, but it doesn't make anything that is already in that thread any less valid, since the whole process is first come/first serve anyway.

So, the point is to make it known, allowing people to reference it. As to where people should post their claims... that's for the board staff to decide. If they wish it to be in that thread, GJO will be happy to oblige the request.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 05:51:49 AM
So basically Daiq, you're just being stubborn. Let's be picky here, best way to claim a character is to START USING THEM. Not post in some thread where your post will get ignored in time anyway.

Darth Turbogeek
May 11th, 2003, 05:57:41 AM
Yeah, basically, that's the way it should be. Use em and show em off

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 08:32:51 AM
And can people try and come up with original names too? My RP character was Eve Sarin, and then someone came along with Eve Siren. Cmon now.

Droo
May 11th, 2003, 08:52:50 AM
But there's no such account, of "Eve Sarin". How would said roleplayer know any better unless she was an avid fan of your character? :p

I have no problem with people posting in here about pictures, etc. but it would make much more sense if it was done in the one thread, if someone would be so kind as to make an official thread of that nature. Then again, it would make even more sense to post in an already advertised thread made for that very purpose, the link is even available here now too. Seperate threads about picture claims in this forum are now only cluttering the place considering the one at GJO has been linked.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
May 11th, 2003, 09:11:43 AM
Im not being stubborn and thats beyond the pot calling the kettle black, Fett.

As I stated, I have no reason to go to GJO. And as far as 'cluttering', seeing someone's post about a char is much more interesting than reading about someone being sick. IMO

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 09:26:09 AM
And I still wont go.
No Daiq, that IS stubborn. I go in there to show sigs, check character pic availability and the like. It isnt hard :)

And as far as 'cluttering', seeing someone's post about a char is much more interesting than reading about someone being sick. IMO
"I take ___!" is interesting? Least when someone says they're sick you can get a discussion out of it :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
May 11th, 2003, 09:34:42 AM
No Daiq, that IS stubborn. I go in there to show sigs, check character pic availability and the like. It isnt hard

No, Fett, it ISNT being stubborn.

I dont go to the GJO. I have no need to go. Im not a Jedi, nor am I Jedi affiliated.

The last time I posted at GJO, someone acted like a horse's hind end and Ive not gone back since. Because you go, doesnt mean everyone does.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 09:36:02 AM
Top of this thread is a link direct to the thread. You dont even have to navigate the board :)

Anyway, you can claim a character the old fashioned way. Make the character. You dont hear me complain that I took Jennifer garner in that thread, and someone else uses her. Because I never started her. Want a character? Use them :)

Silus Xilarian
May 11th, 2003, 09:56:30 AM
Im not trying to really insert myself into the *ahem* debate here, but I always assumed the thread in Helpdesk was a reference of what actors were taken, not a place to claim a character for future use.

In either case, it would make more sense to me to have the thread here in RPing. I dont regularly go to the GJO Forum, since I dont have a Jedi character, and most of my characters wouldnt be welcome there IC.

IMO, were the thread stuck at the top of the OOC forum, it would stand a better chance of being a more complete resource, since it would be in a place frequented by a broader user base. Also, there may also be a case where a character may be access banned from GJO. This type of banning isnt supposed to hold consequence on the poster outside of the GJO Group Forum, but in a sense, it would be denying them a resource that is supposed to be open to the RPing community as a whole.

Anywho, im gonna go lay down or something.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 09:59:50 AM
A thought about it. To use the thread properly, you have to search the thread, right? And you have to read the related posts, to check someone didnt just mention a person. So, you have to use the search option at the top. And you'd have to specify forum, to make sure that you dont get all the other mentions from the movie forums, for example, right?

So, the only difference is about 6-8 notches down on the pulldown :)

Silus Xilarian
May 11th, 2003, 10:51:55 AM
not exactly.......

In reference of posting to it. Would be more convenient in here also. Instead of clicking a link, that leads to another link, that leads to an entirely different style forum (which, if you dont visit very often, means you have to wait for images to load, on a slow dial up, this can take a min or so) then post. Where as, while you're in the OOC forum posting to "Today's WTF" and whatnot, you can clicky at the top, and type a "I just made this character using this actor" reply in the Quick Reply form. Hit submit reply (you can even check the "Return to forum after reply" box, and it'll put you right back in the OOC forum where you came from) and yur set.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 10:56:29 AM
But to reply as you just said means you didnt search the forum first to see if they were available.

Silus Xilarian
May 11th, 2003, 11:09:57 AM
if you checked the forum before creating said acount, then posted, it wouldnt really matter, unless someone managed to use the same actor within the time spent to find a pic, shrink it to avatar size, and make an account.

Even in that scenario, click on the last page, look for new replies saying someone has got the character as you scroll down to the quick reply box.

Like I said before, since things like this are on a first come, first serve basis, that thread would only function to serve as a reference to see whos available, not claiming character pics.

Pierce Tondry
May 11th, 2003, 11:37:25 AM
I happen to think there's a better way to solve this dilemma.
The fact that thread in question is reference material means we ought to put it where people go to look stuff up, right?

Take said thread in GJO and stick it into the forum with the RPing FAQ. Make a note in the FAQ or in the same forum that the likenesses to these actors, comic book characters, etc. have been selected for use by Roleplaying Characters and that, out of respect for the creative works of current RPers, the claimed characters should not be taken for use in signitures or avatars by those wishing to roleplay. New "claim" or "trade" posts can then be made there.

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 11:57:45 AM
When Eve Siren registered it was at ezboard, and Eve Sarin was registered.

Anyhoo...

For future purposes: The thread it GJO is significantly long, and it should stay there. However, GJO is a sect and a general RP reference thread should be in a general RP forum.

I think Pierce's idea is great. However I wonder if there is a way to condense the info, rather than read a hella-long thread. A web page with a list, in alphabetical order by actor name, updated weekly? Maybe vBul has an extenstion to the Portal page or something like it and I can do that for you folks?

Or maybe people can specify actor or character name somewhere in their profile, and we ask that people do a search by member name before they create a character to see if an actor or character name comes up?

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 12:02:35 PM
Only problem is, some people dont even know the name of who they use :)

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 12:07:08 PM
Well perhaps they can ask people. I can't imagine too many people don't know who they use. I would assume that when people are locating pictures for their characters, they have to search by name.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 12:12:15 PM
Unless they go by character/TV program, but you're right, it isnt hard to use IMDB I suppose. Also, could I suggest that it would be done in lists of "Comic, Game and other unreal" and "Real"? For example, Cyclops movie is used by me (Or at least the actor), Cyclops comic is used by another.

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2003, 12:15:28 PM
Probably under interests.. out of all the categories for the profile most RPer's don't use them?

I like that idea... not that hard to add a name somewhere :)

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 12:54:52 PM
Oh my sweet lord people, is it THAT hard to just click the frickin' link? Or just start using the character? I never knew this was such a huge deal around here. Just deal with it on a person to person level, if someone is using something you started, tell them so. Most people are happy to change when called on it. Not standing up for your character's pic is not a board-wide issue. It's not that but of a deal where the list is or who's board it's under or what colors the text is in or what have you.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2003, 12:56:28 PM
To be honest I never knew we had a problem with character pictures. :x *hides behind Ryla*

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 01:00:15 PM
I think it's just mostly in response to a bunch of movie characters coming on the boards... You know, like the X-men chars, or at least that's my guess.

Droo
May 11th, 2003, 01:00:45 PM
It's the whole Mountain-Molehill effect that's happening right here.

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 01:02:10 PM
*nods sagely*

:D

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 01:05:45 PM
Probably under interests.. out of all the categories for the profile most RPer's don't use them?
So Sanis would have to say "INTRESTS: Brad Pitt"? ;)

Seriously, that would be the best place, I agree.

Pierce Tondry
May 11th, 2003, 01:06:37 PM
Part of why I suggested what I did is because my method confined sig/avatar claiming to the RP forums only and would not conflict with people who post in Films or BoxOffice who ought to have the right to use whoever they want as an avatar, etc. regardless of what RPers do. My only qualm with using the search function is that you might get people who don't Roleplay but have interests in actors, especially actors that have been in Star Wars films.

Ideas to solve this problem with Eve's "search" suggestion:

1) Set a format for entering the data into the profile
ex. Under Pierce Tondry's profile:

Interests: Sean Patrick Flanery (RP character claim)

2) Set up a separate category in the profile
ex. Under Pierce Tondry's profile:

RP Character claims: Sean Patrick Flanery

I like the first idea better because it involves no changes to the VB template and would be simpler to implement. But, I do like the Character Claim database idea more because such a thing could be linked directly to the RPing FAQ, which I feel is wise. I also think it is more of an organized system, whereas asking individual posters to mark their claims in their profile is chaotic and potentially problematic. On the minus side, the web page database idea means a lot of work for whoever has to create and update it.

These are just points to consider as people think about this.

Edit

Ryla and Dru: Given that this subject came up of its own accord, finding a solution to the problem seems rather fitting. It doesn't have to be as elaborate as Dru's "Mountain-Molehill" comparison suggests, but it is a potentially preventable problem, wouldn't you agree?

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 01:08:52 PM
Well, what would really be nice (assuming this was a board-wide problem in the first place) would be giant, alphabetical list of all characters taken, indexed by username.

Mneh. Too much work. :)

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 01:10:40 PM
Listen. There have been alot of seperate threads lately where people are claiming characters. Someone is simply trying to condense it into one place where everyone can reference it. This is something helpful, and I think, a good idea (and obviously wanted by some members). The debate is where to put it. And yes, that is a board wide thing, since RPing isn't designated to GJO only.

Some people got heated for no reason in this thread, but don't diminish the entire idea to immature arguing. We're simply trying to make things easier. Take the drama elsewhere.

Miranda Dunleavy
May 11th, 2003, 01:12:38 PM
Yes, and besides... that thread is REALLY long. Most people are going to be turned off by wading through all those posts just to see if they are taken. If you could search by name and make it easier then less misunderstandings over pictures could be made.

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 01:16:28 PM
Splendid. It's efficient. Takes little effort and Ogre doesn't have to do anything.

Then for some reason, if it doesn't work, usually someone will tell you that someone else is already using your person's image.

Ryla Relvinian
May 11th, 2003, 01:18:24 PM
That is true, it is long and annoying to browse through. Pierce, I think your idea is brilliant. Now, how do we actually get it to work?

Edit- What about having a field in the profile where you could enter in actor name, show name, character name etc.? That could be searchable...

Pierce Tondry
May 11th, 2003, 01:26:55 PM
Ryla: Like I said, that forces Ogre to make a change to the profile template system and increases database memory usage. That first suggestion is much, much simpler, but it does require cooperation on the part of the individual RPers. If everyone is willing to run with it, that makes it not only viable, but easy. Furthermore, a change to the template system would affect everyone on the board. We'd either have to make it very specific by having the category say "RP Char Claim" or we might get people in the BoxOffice forum filling in that area with actors they like.

Dasquian Belargic
May 11th, 2003, 01:28:38 PM
Do we really need to do this? :| I mean it's not like it's causing any immeadiate harm/bother/trouble, really. Just a few people had a tiff about an image. That's all.

EDIT -

Although its not really important, the Eve Siren/Sarin issue: Eve joined TSE, I can assure you, without having read through SWfans as a whole or any archives at TSE that would give her knowledge of there being an Eve Sarin in existence. The name was a compilation of videogame character names, and the similarities are sheer concidence :)

Gurney Devries
May 11th, 2003, 01:30:31 PM
I think this is all completely superfluous. The thread at the GJO is simply a reference: It's supposed to be a helpful guide to let you know what characters are and are not taken. It's not supposed to be an official "You can't use these people at SWFans" list.

Consider it an off-site link, if you like. You don't have to look at the rest of the GJO; You don't even have to really check the thread before making a character. It'll probably save you some headaches if you do, but that's up to you.

Some people change their character pics on an almost weekly basis. Any kind of official database would have to be constantly updated and cross-checked. Quite frankly, I don't think there's anyone here who would be willing to do that indefinitely.

I'm not quite clear on how the idea of adding the name of the actor / character that you use into your profile would be helpful: The normal poster cannot perform a search based on profile information, so that rules that out. And you can clearly see what character they are using in their posts by their avatar / signature, so I don't see how stating it would be any more helpful.

sonja
May 11th, 2003, 01:33:00 PM
Well I've found that there are enough people here who know enough that should someone be coming around with a character already used, it would be pointed out to them, and they simply couldn't use it.

Gurney Devries
May 11th, 2003, 01:39:59 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly.

Figrin D'an
May 11th, 2003, 03:27:00 PM
ditto...

This is going to become more of a headache to set up, implement and maintain than it would be to just point out to someone "hey, that character/actor pic is already being used." It's easier to solve things like this on a case-by-case basis.