Windows 98 SE, Millennium, 2000, and XP

CPU
Required: Intel PIII 933 MHz or AMD Athlon 900 MHz
Recommended: Intel P4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Memory
Required: 256 MB RAM
Recommended: 512 MB RAM

Graphics Card
Required: 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability
Recommended: 64 MB 3D Graphics card with Vertex Shader and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability

Sound Card
Required: PCI, USB or Onboard Audio Device

CD-ROM
Required: Quad Speed CD-ROM drive

Input Device
Required: Keyboard and mouse

Connectivity Requirements
Required: 56K modem or faster Internet connection

DirectX
Microsoft DirectX 9.0 is included on this CD. NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" updates for your operating system. This may also include the latest drivers for your particular motherboard, sound and video hardware.

Installation
Installation requires 2.0 GB of free hard drive space. It is recommended that you have at least an additional 500 MB of free space available after installing the game for the Windows swap/page file and additional patch downloads.

Supported Chipsets at the time of release:
ATI Radeon 7200/7500
ATI Radeon 8500/9000
ATI Radeon 9500/9700
Matrox Parhelia
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA GeForce 2 family
NVIDIA GeForce 3 family
NVIDIA GeForce 4 family
NVIDIA GeForceFX family

Charley
May 9th, 2003, 02:14:34 PM
YAY I CAN'T RUN IT...now I can save up for other things that are actually attainable.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 9th, 2003, 03:50:44 PM
QuijonJ! our friend LL is insane with grief! Who in there right mind would be cheering like that when they find out they can't play SWG?!? We must help him! Must form a collection, and send him many dollars strapped to many Whiskey, and Vodka bottles!

Poor poor LL, what happened to his Marine sign up check?

Morgan Evanar
May 9th, 2003, 04:17:54 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=509975

Some devs post there, saying how much it sucked to work for Sony, and the game is probably going to suck.

Keshik came out of the closet to say:

I've been saying since Beta 2 started that SW:G sucks. Beta 1 was neat because nothing was turned on and we had direct dev contact and all we did was attack krayt dragons they spawned. BEta 2 they started implementing the actual game and the actual game sucked.

Utnayan came out of the closet to say:

Don't ever forget though... The super secret version that the inside testing department is always playing that blows away anything the beta 2-3 guys have. (Hello bullst, nice to meet you).

Granted, I am sure they were on different and improved builds, but we got those builds after... And they still hurt.

I am happy and sad at the same time. Too bad another dev company didn't pick up SWG. I had a feeling it would get porked when SOE was announced as creating it. The only reason why EQ was successful was because of McQuaid, Kendrick, Tigole (I think he was there for a stint) and a couple other key players. With all those guys either at Blizzard or Sigil games, SOE has jack crap for a decent dev squad, and it is going to show in this game.

I do not think that the failure (Or upcoming failure) of SWG has anything to do with listening to the beta forums. If anything, that gave it more life then it had. Better UI, better crafting designs, more input on skill ups, graphical and musical score effects, etc. It's just that they have no way ti think outside of the damn box, and keep trying to mimic the success of DIKU muds when there isn't anything left to copy.

People need to now move into a more dynamic world setting... With today's technology now, there isn't any reason why this cannot be done. And you know the sad part? SWG will flop. EQ2 will flop. Shadowbane will flop. Planetside might take off, but unless they make the war/battles have a purpose, it isn't going to last more then DAOC's RVR WOW effect, and will eventually flop... And the suits upstairs won't think that it's the shitty design methods and lack of innovative concepts, but rather no one wants to pay subscription fees for games.

Then Blizzard's WoW will hit, and they will realize they cannot hype about 15 features, then cut them, and expect the customer to pay for the implementation of them when their subscription fees should be going towards puttingin NEW content, not cut.

Sorry, but I think WoW will be the one to change the genre from lacking quality anf rushed jobs, to a decent title. At least they will finish the damn game before they release it.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 9th, 2003, 04:35:42 PM
I'm under NDA, and therefore cannot say anything of substance yet.

However, reading the thread, those are unhappy Beta testers talking, not Devs, and I see nothing there about working for Sony.

There were 500 or so people in Beta 1, and 6,000 or so (aacording to the Star Wars Insider, not me) in Beta 2. In a group like that, please tell me how to keep all the people happy, cause I personally don't think it can be done, though I did notice one post defending the game too.

As to the specs, a GeForce 5200 FX is $80 to a hundred buck, and most forms of 512MB RAM is under $50 these days. An yeah, we may have to get a collection for Loungie. :)

Morgan Evanar
May 9th, 2003, 04:39:24 PM
Keep reading. There are devs there that are none too happy.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 9th, 2003, 05:01:03 PM
Honestly...

I doubt Quijon would still be in the beta testing if he thought the game sucked. From what i understand you can drop out at anytime. And he been in it, what? Half a year? He a Beta2 tester. I trust that Quijon is a good gamer, and would play the game if it was fun. I will not base my idea's off the game by reading the crap posted by noobs who are angry over not getting into Beta.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 9th, 2003, 05:08:09 PM
I read.. they say they weren't on the SWG team, and I can probably guess who one of the tester-gripers is from his prose style.

But, this changes nothing. The game is still in Beta, and under NDA till they tell us otherwise.

Thanks for the props Dyzm. :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 9th, 2003, 09:02:10 PM
God almighty...... that PC spec sheet is total BS. I just need THAT to play a game? Come on, I hardly need that to Photoshop and vid edit!

-_-

ReaperFett
May 9th, 2003, 09:03:09 PM
One comment that made me smile, "And you know the sad part? SWG will flop". HA! Can't think of a SW game that has flopped yet. Even the bad ones sell well enough.

I wont be able to play it reguardless. Best I can get around here is 56k, and just because it says it's the minimum spec, doesnt mean it's a USABLE spec :)

Oh, and thats 56k on an AOL connection, just to make it worse :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 9th, 2003, 09:28:03 PM
Yeah, like I said... if you listen to exactly what everyone thinks you should do all you will end up with is the same exact thing that they've already played and are worn out on. Developers need to actually make the entire game with their own ideas, then do a beta and see what people think needs changed. Not base the entire game's development off of people in beta and their ideas.

GREAT quote. Never reaslly thought about it, but how true.

No SW game that has flopped yet

Yeah, because people see the SW name and buy it, no matter the quality. I swear, you could crap on a disk and sell it by the thousands, if you labelled it Star Wars.

Figrin D'an
May 9th, 2003, 11:47:44 PM
GeForceFX = sux. No way I'd buy one of those things when there are so many better options.

I'm just not interested in Galaxies. I shall save my money for better games.

Darth Viscera
May 10th, 2003, 12:51:13 AM
If you want a sci-fi MMORPG that doesn't suck, pick up EVE Online. I was beta testing it for a while and got the retail 2 days ago, and the game kicks serious buttocks. It's about as addictive as Battlefield 1942 too.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 10th, 2003, 02:15:14 AM
Eve, rings a bell, I remember looking at it half a year ago, didn't interest me. Space Ships get boring after awhile, I need to be on the ground, doing different things.
(anyway, Galaxies Space Expansion should cover that)

imported_QuiGonJ
May 10th, 2003, 03:50:21 PM
Interesting quote from Carrie Fisher in the new Star Wars Insider magazine:

She takes a dim view of those member of the mainstream press who unleash savage criticism on her friend: "[Reviewers] go back and judge the new films against the old. The new standard becomes the first three films, and suddenly I get wonderful reviews. I promise you, the first reviews were terrible to begin with, so they are just doing the same thing again.

Who knows what will happen with time? Certainly no one else is doing visually what George does, and if he's setting the standard and being judged against himself, then hallelujah!

The bigger the target, the bigger the artillery, so they should back off. It becomes personal sometimes, and [some critics] are really enraged. I don't hold much in that tactic. I don't go by what they say about this stuff."

She's speaking of the Prequels, but it just might have broader implications for things based on the Star Wars license. ;)

Sejah Haversh
May 10th, 2003, 09:34:49 PM
That is an insane list of requirements, though my computer does pass them.

Only barely on the RAM department. Dang RAMBUS RAM... too frikkin hard to get, and pricey. I want a gig! I really frikking want a gig, not 256!

Morgan Evanar
May 10th, 2003, 11:30:48 PM
Probably would be cheaper to switch to DDR and a new mainboard, although I've not a clue what RAMBUS goes for nowadays.

Minimum system requirements are climbing, thank goodness. HL2 is supposed to be min spec of about 800 and a TNT2.

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2003, 05:42:24 AM
I still think Graphics are nowadays an excuse to put less effort into Gameplay in many cases.

Darth Turbogeek
May 11th, 2003, 06:07:46 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I still think Graphics are nowadays an excuse to put less effort into Gameplay in many cases.

Lad, there's much truth in that.

Who knows what will happen with time? Certainly no one else is doing visually what George does, and if he's setting the standard and being judged against himself, then hallelujah!

HELLO EARTH TO CARRIE. Matrix, LOTR is two I can think of straight away who beat SW for visuals.

Droo
May 11th, 2003, 08:11:17 AM
I've never been happy with SW visuals when it comes to creatures and living things. It looks like plasticene. Anything organic, like Jar-Jar or the Reek or Nexu. Maybe it's because we're not used to seeing things like that, such a stretch of the imagination, whereas Gollum isn't too different.

I should be able to play Galaxies. As long as it takes the 9500 Pro too.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 11th, 2003, 09:21:26 AM
Turbo, I didn't care for TTT that much. Sometimes it's just a matter of opinions.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2003, 12:09:43 PM
ATI Radeon 9500/9700 You be in the clear.

Verant/ Sony has a history of making terrible engines though.

Sanis Prent
May 11th, 2003, 02:03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dark Lord Dyzm
QuijonJ! our friend LL is insane with grief! Who in there right mind would be cheering like that when they find out they can't play SWG?!? We must help him! Must form a collection, and send him many dollars strapped to many Whiskey, and Vodka bottles!

Poor poor LL, what happened to his Marine sign up check?

Seems that I'd rather not play it until they work out the 3 billion kinks that seem to be in it. Besides, I'll work plenty of disposable income up with my job at Phifer. As for the Corps, I don't get anything until I begin OCS, next year. I'm planning on making a few trips, but aside from that, I'll eventually save up for a new motherboard and enough RAM.

As for saying Matrix and LotR were better than SW in graphics, to each their own. I found some of the stuff in both of those to be utterly atrocious (Bullet-time, wavy-glass, Cave troll, Ents, etc)

Moltar
May 14th, 2003, 01:40:27 PM
So the "minimum" requirements are out..

gag!

JediBoricua
May 14th, 2003, 02:36:55 PM
I need a complete new system...:verymad

Morgan Evanar
May 14th, 2003, 04:44:08 PM
My computer is already 2x as fast. $400 yr+ Xmas gift goes a long way.

Sanis Prent
May 14th, 2003, 06:57:47 PM
hmmm....

pistol, or motherboard?

pistol, or motherboard?

Wow, decisions!

Darth Viscera
May 14th, 2003, 07:59:33 PM
Duh, the motherboard! You can shoot things with a motherboard.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 14th, 2003, 10:41:33 PM
the reverse is not true though, you can not surf the web with a gun. Anyway, as soon as you done with school, you'll get more guns to play with.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 14th, 2003, 10:54:13 PM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/gallery.htm

Watch movie #2... that's all I will say for now. :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 14th, 2003, 11:48:55 PM
BTW QuiGon, will you be buying the actual game? And if so, what server you thinking you will be on. As a vet, you could give me some pointers so I don't do something stupid and run right into the Rancor's mouth, or so to say.

Edit:

O dear God! I thought I suppressed the urge for that game under many layers of patience... I need wants it!

Figrin D'an
May 15th, 2003, 12:38:42 AM
Watched the movie...

It looks pretty...

*shrugs*

Darth Viscera
May 15th, 2003, 07:05:02 AM
The movie has been trying to download for the last 30 minutes. I think I remember why I hate LucasArts now.

They sure do concentrate a lot on 6 stormtroopers trying desperately to shoot 6 Tusken raiders while standing up napoleon-era style and trying very hard not to seek cover. The Tuskens are doing a little better-they're out in the open, but at least a couple of them are crouching.

I hope there'll really be lots of opportunities to shoot people in this game, as they seem to advertise. And I hope my target will be standing up out in the open, unmoving.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 15th, 2003, 05:07:14 PM
Like in all Star War movies/games, all enemimes will run at you slowly, hardly ever taking cover, and firing every other step.

Darth Viscera
May 15th, 2003, 05:23:02 PM
And seeing as how they're stormtroopers, their aim will suck.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 15th, 2003, 05:27:06 PM
What I like about the game, is that the enemies will spawn depending on the level of the hunter/group, even NPC Forts, just appearing right around the corner. These same forts will exist until the enemy is destroyed.

Darth Viscera
May 15th, 2003, 07:20:06 PM
So what is the goal of this game? To increase your credits and get better and better equipment?

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 15th, 2003, 08:59:25 PM
To roleplay, to have fun, to get better faction so you get better vehicles, to get better equiped, to interact with others, etc. etc. I think it will hold more entertainment then games which you just run around power leveling and grouping.

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2003, 01:38:22 AM
I'd rather have a gun, thx.

Morgan Evanar
May 16th, 2003, 05:21:31 AM
Everquesttttt iiiiiiiiinnnn spaaaaaccceeee!

Lion El' Jonson
May 16th, 2003, 10:33:47 AM
I believe that summarizes the game quite nicely, Morg...:lol

I can run it, but I don't want to pay 10 bucks a month for something that's gonna be bug infested and probably hacked up the wazoo.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 16th, 2003, 01:09:40 PM
I can run it, but I don't want to pay 10 bucks a month for something that's gonna be bug infested and probably hacked up the wazoo.

Hence the reason for the longest/largest Beta testing they have been running. Beta3 is stress testing, bug finding, etc. Beta1 and 2 should of worked out most of the major bugs.
And last time I check, Wazoo was a very nice college.

Its more of a Ultima Online in Space I believe.

EQ is as different from UO as a penguin is to a eagle.

I have played both, and Ultima Online was more of a RPing adventure.
Everquest was more of a Diablo type game, kill everything and loot.

The fact that Galaxies will have an active player economy is so different then the EQ "Auction/Shoutout" way of selling anything

Lion El' Jonson
May 16th, 2003, 03:53:15 PM
Dude, you had to PAY to get into the beta testing. 5.95 for the discs plus 6 bucks shipping and handling...

...that's really poor form, if LucasArts wants you to pay to fix their game.

Morgan Evanar
May 16th, 2003, 04:20:41 PM
Its not LucasArts, is Sony. LucasArts is equally responsible for Jedi Knight 2. Which is to say not at all.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 16th, 2003, 07:29:41 PM
Toontown charged $10 to download their Beta, and is charging $6 a month.

SWG charged for the cost of discs, so as not to eat that part from their Dev budget.

As to "Am I getting it? Do I like it?" the answer is I've had money down for the Collector's Edition since February, and I hosted a lunch for the Developers this very afternoon at a shopping plaza near E3.

I am also cleared to say "Game Informer" magazine surprised the Devs by doing a print review this month. A bit early, but they still scored it 9.5 out of 10.

oh yeah, and there was a front page article in the Los Angeles Times yesterday with interviews of some of the other Beta testers. Wanna read it? Here it is: http://www.coruscantcity.net/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=000011

Darth Viscera
May 16th, 2003, 08:04:34 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJ
As to "Am I getting it? Do I like it?" the answer is I've had money down for the Collector's Edition since February, and I hosted a lunch for the Developers this very afternoon at a shopping plaza near E3.

Eh? You know the devs? How did that come to be?

imported_QuiGonJ
May 16th, 2003, 08:50:39 PM
From being in the Beta.

Lion El' Jonson
May 16th, 2003, 09:20:31 PM
Well, I'm gonna hold off on it until more reviews come out...like I can manage any more MMORPGS right now...

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 17th, 2003, 05:30:25 PM
Also have collectors addition down from about Feb, and getting a 20% discount. It's so awesome having a friend work for Gamestop.

But you know, those Game Reviews know nothing, I mean, they are never right anyway, lol.

Lion El' Jonson
May 17th, 2003, 10:01:23 PM
Well, they're personal reviews...they're biased. Depending on who reviews it, the rating can change. If you've got a hardcore RTS player reviewing a turn-based wargame, they might give it a lower score than if a hardcore turn-based player reviewed an RTS game.

But ordinarily, the reviews give you an idea of what the game is about and if it has potential or if its absolute crap.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 17th, 2003, 11:44:12 PM
You took me seriously dude? I thought the lol had that covered

Most games I test out by DLing the demo, but the fact that I loved Ultima Online, and that I love Star Wars, I am quite willing to take a chance. I want to be ONLINE before the majority of the people get on.

(But then again, if I do become the camp counselor this summer, I going to be gone.)

Lion El' Jonson
May 18th, 2003, 03:02:22 AM
Actually, I sorta look at it that way...the games that last and that win awards are usually given 70-80 percent scores...

The ones that get editor's choice are usually forgotten within a year.

Marcus Telcontar
May 18th, 2003, 06:18:23 AM
The average game reviewer appears to be an industry whore. There appears to me to be little objective honesty about reviewers - I do not trust most Internet based reviewers. It is very easy to have shrills. It's easy to astroturf. There are few facts.

The fact is, games that live on even if scored low and so called high scoring games die. The reason is because they have somethign compelling about them. Somethign that hooks you and sucks you in. So far, the only two game studios that consistently achieve this are Blizzard and id. Tho, the studio that did Half Life look like they have homered again with some of the screen shots I've seen of HL2.

The facts as they appear to me is that SW: Galaxies is an Everqest wannabe with no real innovation. Blizzard look like they will advance Online gaming with World of Warcraft. I believe that as Blizzard have a reputation on bringing on new games when they are ready, with loads of new ideas and features. I expect I'll have to upgrade the PC's here to accomodate my wife who would own your butt with Warcraft / Starcraft. And it will be worth it, not like what I'm seeing for Galaxies.

Thinking of warcraft. have to find out why WCII is crashing :x

imported_QuiGonJ
May 18th, 2003, 07:47:35 AM
Neat trick there Marcus.. good reviews won't count and only bad ones will with you then.

So if I quote Cinescape (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Games&action=page&obj_id=38651&type_id=270331&cat_id=270444&sub_id=272439)

Thankfully, I’ve been able to dive a little deeper into STAR WARS GALAXIES this week. For all of you gamers that are wondering, GALAXIES will be an awesome game when it is completed. I originally started my character off as a brawler, but somehow I’ve evolved into a mix of brawler, marksman, medic and entertainer making me some sort of Renaissance man. Go figure.

it wouldn't count, huh?

ReaperFett
May 18th, 2003, 08:35:43 AM
I do not trust most Internet based reviewers.
I do sortof agree with that. I will listen to PC magazines more than websites, as you are being paid to do the magazine, hence you would have been picked for your reviewing, as aside from working on a website and doing reviews on the side.

But the main people I listen to are just normal people.

Lion El' Jonson
May 18th, 2003, 11:11:08 AM
Fett, you don't know any normal people...:lol

World of Warcraft looks awesome, and it DOES look like it's going to succeed. Even if it sucks, it'll still sell amazingly because of the huge fanbase there is. But it oughta be awesome.

Marcus Telcontar
May 18th, 2003, 03:57:08 PM
You didnt listen to what I was saying, did you Quigonj?

The reason is because they have somethign compelling about them. Somethign that hooks you and sucks you in. So far, the only two game studios that consistently achieve this are Blizzard and id. Tho, the studio that did Half Life look like they have homered again with some of the screen shots I've seen of HL2.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2003, 05:06:57 PM
Not enough Looking Glass love in this thread.

Thief, Thief II were/are two of the most inovative atmospheric and unique games ever made.

Theif 3 looks damn good.

See also: System Shock 2 by sister studio Irrational.

Lion El' Jonson
May 18th, 2003, 06:49:05 PM
Oh, System Shock 2 is one of my all-time favorites...as was Marathon, though that was just because I used to have a mac.

Chaos Alexander
May 18th, 2003, 07:08:08 PM
I haven't played any MMORPGS or many of the good PC games. Up till a few months ago I still used my parent's Comp and it....well..it may be the worst gaming computer known to man. It had a 4 Gig hard drive for goodness sakes.

I am torn between World of Warcraft (I know Helenias would own me at warcraft/Starcraft because no matter how hard I try.....i suck), and SWG. the massive specs for SWG has made me a bit shy, but I will manage. I will wait till I see more on the two games before I deside. I wish I had the money and time for both, but i don't.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 18th, 2003, 07:30:41 PM
Marcus, I'll argue the points once the NDA drops, but I will point up that practically no one from Everquest made the game, and the lead designer made the systems of Ultima Online and the cancelled Ultima Online 2 project before taking on this project.

But in addition to Looking Glass, I think Bioware also has a rather solid track record.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 19th, 2003, 11:49:27 AM
And Ultima Online, is the reason I am buying Galaxies and not World of Warcraft first.
I was tied in the decison making between Galaxies and Warcraft, and that new Night Elves expansion almost pushed me over the edge. I'm proberly going to end up owning both. I''ll take turns playing them, so I don't fry my mind only playing one. But, I will be owning Galaxies first. If anything, to escape the norm of Fantasy MMORP Games.

Sanis Prent
May 19th, 2003, 07:38:17 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Not enough Looking Glass love in this thread.

Thief, Thief II were/are two of the most inovative atmospheric and unique games ever made.

Theif 3 looks damn good.

See also: System Shock 2 by sister studio Irrational.

This is the correct answer.

Moltar
May 21st, 2003, 11:03:32 PM
Oh God, so many games...
Thief 3
Warcraft Expansion
Half Life 2
Tribes:Vengence
Unreal Tournament 2004

You know, there are times I'm glad I'm Single

But as, for World of Warcraft and Galaxies... I'll wait for the reviews to come out. The last MMO I tried was Anarchy Online, and it was very boring after just playing the missions they gave.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 22nd, 2003, 01:18:24 PM
Wait until the Galaxies Expansion (Or the Major Patch) which will add Player Created Missions I believe. And they ain't stupid ones like "Run to point A to win"

imported_QuiGonJ
May 22nd, 2003, 04:55:31 PM
Ah, here.. read this...

Holbits breaks the NDA.. again! (http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/123612.html)

Good, solid info from the lead designer, and I don't break the NDA.. he does.. ;)

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 25th, 2003, 01:02:18 PM
God... The HORROR!!!

*Slams his head against the desk*

My friend just called from his job at Gamestop, turns out, he somehow got the Beta3 Disk, no application, no sending it out. He just got it. Technically, the store he works at got it, and his boss gave it to him.

He dosen't even get 28.k connection though! AHHH! WHY!!!