PDA

View Full Version : National League or American League ball?

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 07:55:21 PM
I don't think we've spoken about his before. Which do you guys prefer?

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:08:33 PM
I perfer the American, mostly because I am a Red sox fan.

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 08:09:21 PM
National League... simply because the DH rule is crap. I've never liked it. The arguments about not wanting to see pitchers hit are hardly compelling. Without a DH, there is more strategy regarding batting order and base running, not to mentioned pinch hitting. The DH has also made the art of bunting all but irrelevent in the AL. And, of course, it allows players to hang on to careers that would otherwise have no chance of making a major league roster (eg. Edgar Martinez... he's a solid hitter, but he can't run and he can't field.) Meanwhile, some kid that probably deserves to be in the big leagues has to continue to toil in minors, potentially slowing his development.

That... and the National League doesn't have the evil empire known as the Yankees. :mneh

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:10:35 PM
Well I think Martinez would have probably been forced to play RF if there was not DH. He was a 3B at one time I believe.

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 08:16:00 PM
That's the whole point, Carr. Take away the DH, and Martinez shows that he simply isn't worth a roster spot anymore. He'd be a huge liability, even as an outfielder.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:21:13 PM
I don't with his bat I take him, I am sure he is no worse than Rameriez in the OF who can hardly play there either.

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 08:22:56 PM
I agree 100% with Figrin. I've always hated the DH. Baseball is a game of hitting and fielding. If you're only worth the #9 spot in the batting order and not worth anything in the defensive scheme, then you're not a baseball player. You're a glorified beer leaguer.

Jedieb
May 8th, 2003, 08:25:18 PM
Becuz I follow the cursed Yankees I prefer the AL. My Dad is a die hard National Leaguer. The strategy, the nuances, it's all there. I'm the first to admit that the NL is a more traditional style. I kind of like the fact that we've got both versions. If it weren't for the Yankees I'd go with the NL. But then again, fathers and sons need something to battle over, don't they?

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:25:28 PM
Still what about a guy like Manny who is the best hitter in the game but can hardly field? I love the guy but he can barely play OF.

Morgan Evanar
May 8th, 2003, 08:29:59 PM
DH is for wussies. Real pitchers bat too.

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 08:30:52 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Rameriez, and no, he's not a great outfielder... but come on... have you seen Martinez run the past couple of seasons? My grandfather has an artificial hip, and I'm pretty sure he could outrun him. He limps around the basepathes. There's no way he could run down a sharply hit fly ball.

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 08:31:06 PM
To me that isn't much of a complete ball player. Same with Brad Fullmer. The Expos couldn't make much use of him on defense, so naturally he wound up as a DH in Toronto and then Anaheim. I fail to see how someone like that measures up to guys like Guerrero and Rodriguez...

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:37:21 PM
Yeah but Rameriez hits like .330 a year and is a league lead RBI man. At the same time Ted Williams was not a great OF nor was he a great baserunner and he is considered one of the greatest players of all time.

Jedieb
May 8th, 2003, 08:46:28 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
My grandfather has an artificial hip, and I'm pretty sure he could outrun him.
:lol

The one thing I love about the NL is that pitchers are less likely to throw at hitters. It still happens, but it's much easier to go after some guys head if you know you never have to stand in there yourself.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:48:34 PM
Some pitchers don't care though look at Don Drisedale back in the 60's that guy didn't care at all and I think Pedro is similar he didn't mind back when he was playing with the Expos.

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 08:48:57 PM
Williams had a .974 fielding percentage, that's not too shabby over a 19 year career. Plus the fact that he was a career .344 hitter and that's why he's gone down as on of the greats.

Jedieb
May 8th, 2003, 08:50:11 PM
Let's not forget Bob Gibson. That tough SOB wasn't afraid of anybody. I can picture him stepping into the batters box and daring you to hit him.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:53:09 PM
Actually Manny's fielding % isn't that bad It is .980 in RF and .978 in LF so that is not bad. Manny just isn't that fast that is main problem and in Boston having that LF wall helps that is the easiest left field in baseball.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 08:54:11 PM
Yeah Gibson was that kind of pitcher, not too many like him any more.

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 08:56:43 PM
Certainly not Guillermo Mota!

CMJ
May 11th, 2003, 04:49:34 PM
I'm a Red Sox guy so you'd think I prefer American League...but I prefer the nuances of the National League. If the Sox aren't on, I'd watch a NL over AL game everytime.