PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter with a lightsaber?

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 03:09:15 PM
I'm just throwing out ideas and I was wondering if it would be possible for a bounty hunter.. or maybe even just some normal person walking around, to own and use a lightsaber. If she built it herself, or maybe got one from someone who was a jedi..(maybe a parent or a friend). Who's going to take it away from her? It's not like only force users are able to turn them on(unless you have a special fancy one).

Navaria Tarkin
May 8th, 2003, 03:11:57 PM
or ... you could have stoled it :)

No reason not too as long as the reason makes sense ... tho, lightsabres are suppose to be delicate weapons. one wrong move ... there goes an arm

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 03:20:44 PM
I was thinking that.. but I'm not sure how easy it would be to steal from a jedi/sith :uhoh

No reason not too as long as the reason makes sense ... tho, lightsabres are suppose to be delicate weapons. one wrong move ... there goes an arm

that's what cybernetic arms are for ;) :lol

Actually.. Maybe if she got the lightsaber from her father, who was a jedi.. and he taught her how to use it, even though she has no force potential?

Navaria Tarkin
May 8th, 2003, 03:21:50 PM
you can use a sabre sorta.. Han did it in ESB but fighting with it is another story... you need to be trained hard core without the Force to use it IMO

And you could steal it from a jedi/sith after you killed them :mischief

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 03:25:24 PM
Sure... there are any number of ways to RP that kind of thing. Just don't expect to be able to handle it better than a Force user trained in lightsabre combat.

I really don't see a problem, though.

Katina Van-Derveld
May 8th, 2003, 03:49:39 PM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/aurrasing/eu.html
Aurra became an independent bounty hunter specializing in Jedi hunts. She collected at least six lightsabers from her fallen foes as grim trophies, and brandished her own scarlet-bladed Jedi weapon.

Sean Piett
May 8th, 2003, 04:32:38 PM
I think Aurra dropped out of Jedi training and was a force potential, though.

But yeah. If a human can fight with a sword without hitting their own arm, a lightsaber would be the same thing.

Navaria Tarkin
May 8th, 2003, 04:34:44 PM
no, it's not the same thing. A lightsabre has no weight to where a sword does.

Telan Desaria
May 8th, 2003, 04:36:02 PM
Remember however that the lightsabre is an extremely light weapon. Training on itfor lengthy and concerted times is paramount. It can be done, and has. The lightsabre is a weapon where agility is key and strength is irrelevant.

Sean Piett
May 8th, 2003, 04:45:02 PM
Ah, I hadn't thought about weight.

Navaria Tarkin
May 8th, 2003, 04:45:53 PM
:lol

Sometimes it's easy to forget :) Cept when you cut of ze hand >_<

Sean Piett
May 8th, 2003, 04:53:21 PM
Ouch!

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 05:57:07 PM
Leeloo, assuming this will be the same character who will use Psylocke, do you need any pictures?

Marcus Telcontar
May 8th, 2003, 05:57:12 PM
Control is key, not agility or strength. A sabre acts like a gyroscope and is often unpredictable in the way the blade wants to go. If you handle the blade wrong, it will go in an unexpected direction. That's what makes a sabre so hard to use and why it's suited to a Force user. You have to have it under control at all times.

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 06:16:39 PM
Since the blade has no weight.. Handing a light-saber would basicly be like fighting with only the hilt of a sword, right?

If you had trained enough, wouldn't be possible for a non-force user to get used to using it? Obviously not as good as a jedi/sith, and using it to deflect blaster bolts wouldn't be an option since that's more of a force thing.

Originally posted by ReaperFett
Leeloo, assuming this will be the same character who will use Psylocke, do you need any pictures?

Yes.. same character.. Her psyblade is actually what gave me the idea.. I'm not totally sure if I'm going to follow through with the lightsaber OR bounty hunter idea or not.. I'm just trying to see what would be possible.

And.. any photos of Psylocke I can get would be nice.. mostly all I'm finding right now is some badly drawn fan-art and too-dark-to-use comic scans.

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 06:19:18 PM
Okay, the part you cant see is the blade is held in reverse. I can scan a better picture, howsat?

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 06:24:11 PM
Ohh.. That's a very nice picture!

That could easily be turned into a saber.. :D

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 06:31:51 PM
Can't go wrong with Larocca art :D

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/genresearch.cgi?action=issue&issue=98757117571+2

That one Im sure I could find bigger if you wanted it.

Then you have a nice one from one of my favourite artists, Greg Horn:

http://www.greghornjudge.com/SUB%20HTM%20pages/psylocke.htm

And the most recent cover of hers to date in X-Men Unlimited #47, which comes out next week:

http://www.comixtreme.com/gallery/data/media/109/XMEN_UNLIMITED_47.gif

and with interior shots here:
http://www.comixtreme.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=37131#post37131

That help? :)

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 06:35:41 PM
YES!

Thank you!!

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 06:36:11 PM
np, anything else? :)

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 06:38:01 PM
Yeah, can you make me be smart and creative enough to think up a decent character, past and all? :)

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 06:40:09 PM
I'm bored, shall I make one up for you? :)

Leeloo Mina
May 8th, 2003, 06:47:01 PM
Tempting ;)

Maybe I'll come up with something, I really like lightsabers.. so if I can't think of any way to work this out.... I'll just go join GJO :)

Avolon Bisel
May 8th, 2003, 10:58:00 PM
If you find any Black and White art, you know who to call!!... me, in case you didn't get that reference. :lol I can color moderately well. Though I'm actually coloring two things right now (Dae's art and big Deadpool splash).

Oh and I'd think anyone can use a Lightsabre with skill, if they practiced. Yes it's different from a regular sword, what with the weight and all. However, that doesn't mean it's harder to learn. I would think it might be difficult for a seasoned swordsmen to then convert to a Lightsabre, but if that's what you begin with and train for all your life you'd be good. The Force gives you insight into what to do with it and how to do it. Like, it'd tell you not to swing a way and cut off your arm. But if you practice with it enough, even without the Force, you'd be good at it. Though not as good as a Force user, as they would have some kind of foresight over what attacks to employ. You'd give them a good run for their money though and could probably defeat less skilled sabre wielding Force users. :)

Silus Xilarian
May 9th, 2003, 04:10:59 AM
I was thinking about this a few days ago, when I was bored and slapped in AOTC.

I noticed Obi-Wan "twirling" his saber a few times in his hand, and I got to thinking, "With no weight on the end of the handle, wouldnt that be a bit......not possible"

My grasp of physics may be completely off, but I would think not having a counterweight would cause you to just drop the saber or somethin....Hell if I know....

Back on topic.....

Would it be impossible for your character to have *some* force potential. Just cause someone has the potential for the force doesnt mean they have to do any Jedi/Sith training.

Just throwing thoughts around ^_^;

Jimmy
May 9th, 2003, 05:03:44 AM
O_o

Marcus Telcontar
May 9th, 2003, 06:33:10 AM
I noticed Obi-Wan "twirling" his saber a few times in his hand, and I got to thinking, "With no weight on the end of the handle, wouldnt that be a bit......not possible"

While the actual "blade" itself has no weight, the gyroscopic effects of the mechanism that forms the blade would allow this. The blade may not have weight, but it does have ways of moving by itself via magnetic field effects. Think of a stick with a spinnig weight on it - the stick woudl want to move aboutand would do so unless handled correctly and controlled. Moving too fast or wild, the stick would get out of control in a hurry. Control it right, it would do some pretty amazing tricks. Here endeth Meta-SW BS lesson 101 :p

Of course it's all conjecture, cause those type of field effects dont exist, not in that form. The closest is a prototype Fusion plasma reactor

And of course, there's no reasson why you have to be in a group if your Force sensitive. It just means you might have minor powers and not the full fledged Jedi powers.

ReaperFett
May 9th, 2003, 06:50:12 AM
It's possible because I did it with my Lightsabre ;)

IMO, it's no different from twirling a baton.

Charley
May 9th, 2003, 02:03:57 PM
The magnetic "bottle" on the saber blade's plasma has the effect of mass, so saying that the blade has no weight, while technically correct, can be misleading.

Marcus Telcontar
May 9th, 2003, 06:36:37 PM
(Threepio) Dont get technical with me! (/threepio)

Droo
May 9th, 2003, 07:16:07 PM
:lol