PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 6th, 2003, 09:37:58 PM
So, I am trying to download a Dxvid Codec from Kazaa, so I can play some movies, and Kazaa's own little bulldog lite virus protection pops up screaming that files in my Kazaa folder are covered with a Worm Virus. I was like HOLY SHIIT NO!!!

I isolate, and destroy, but worried that it isn't enough I decide to format my Harddrive. I do this also because I am about to add a ton of new/old crap back into my machine, and do not want the patches from an ATI video card screwing with a GeForce card just because I couldn't find every little one.
But then something suprising happens, XP won't let me format. It claims I'm having things running on C:
Now, I have shut down every program except for system critical things, yet it still won't let me format.
Can someone tell me whats wrong? I'm not a master computer wiz, I only know the above basics and not the master like others here.

(I ran the Kazaa program again, and it came up negetive on Virus activity)

Sola Paz
May 7th, 2003, 12:24:38 AM
try using antivirus software to makesure the virus isnt there. dont trust kazaa for that. i recommend using Norton. make sure you have the latest virus definitions file also. and if your still not satisfied, well then the only option is to reformat. but if you are going to reformat because of a virus, i recommend repartitioning the drive as well.

disclaimer: If you do something wrong and cant load windows, its not my fault.

so you want to format your harddrive?

READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE YOU START. you will lose all your information when you repartition.

well, to get rid of a virus i recomend repartitioning also.
the reason that you cannot format the c drive in windows is because windows runs off of the c drive. right click on the c drive in my computer. click properties. then see where it says 'File System:' if it says NTFS stop. cause i dont know if fdisk can read NTFS partitions or not. if it says FAT32 then continue.

the following information applys to a FAT32 file system:
you need to get a hold of a windows 98 boot disk.

boot your computer from that disk, and type in at the prompt(a:>) 'fdisk' you will then say yes to enable LBA disks. then select the right drive by pressing the number '4' i belive it is..... all the physical drives that are on your computer should be shown. select your c drive and then go to veiw partition information. it should have one partition on it. a primary partition. delete this partion and then create a new primary partition. it will ask if you want to make it active, say yes. then exit out of the program and reset the box. boot it from the floppy again. this time type in 'format c:' this will take a while, so plan on doing something else for o say a good hour depending on the size of the drive. then reset the computer, and boot from your xp cd and follow the instructions.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 7th, 2003, 10:27:49 AM
moot point now, but thanks for info, I didn't trust Kazaa, so in the process of installing a newer version of Virus detection, I had to restart my PC, and after that, my PC died duing restart. I managed to format, so my computer is dead. Well, still thanks.

Marcus Telcontar
May 8th, 2003, 04:45:47 AM
There is no need for FDISk on a XP reinstall. XP setup has tools to do that on install and the setup will ask, in fairly simpe language about formatting.

PLUS, there are ways to reinstall so your files are not touched, but the virus, if that is that (which actually, I doubt) will remain negated.

The simple fact is that viruses have become dumb as the retards writing them use scripts and VB.

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 11:18:50 AM
All you should have had to do was boot from your Windows XP CD, then go through the format and setup options. Microsoft actually made it an extremely easy with XP.

Screw FAT32 as well. If you haven't done so already, make your OS partition NTFS. As long as you are reformatting anyway, it's worth the switch.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 8th, 2003, 08:00:27 PM
Its a virus, if you want to test out your theory, get on Kazaa and download a version of the Xvid codec.

Well, thinking back, it could not be a virus. The running corruption as system after system failed before my computer itself collapsed with a loud BZZZZZZZZZT is perfectly normal of a normal computer crash. The protection programs must of been wrong as it dected the "mythical worm virus" warning me with loud angry loud BEEPS and giving direct names to files and folders.

Yes, it was my fault it got on the PC, I downloaded the crap after all.

If I sound a bit pissed off, then pay it no mind, I doubt any of you would be as happy as a jaybird when even setting everything to safemode and running rescue disks did as much good as recruiting a amputee for a triathlon

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2003, 01:10:39 PM
Why would you download a codec from Kazaa when you can get it from a reputable source like Doom9.org?

Vardlokkur
May 13th, 2003, 06:51:20 PM
Well, seeing how I never knew that existed, and I was trying to download the player the movie said it was encoded with...

its one of those 1+1 equations ya know, like Hmmm, the fuel light indicator in my cars says it needs gas! I'll go and fill it with gas!

Why would I bother looking for a something else?

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2003, 08:12:34 PM
Well, seeing how I never knew that existed, and I was trying to download the player the movie said it was encoded with...

its one of those 1+1 equations ya know, like Hmmm, the fuel light indicator in my cars says it needs gas! I'll go and fill it with gas!

Why would I bother looking for a something else? Jumpin jellybeans. Don't you get gas at a gas station, instead of from Wal-Mart? Because the logical thing to do would have been to get it from a reputable source like SourceForge or whever the XviD project page is. Was your Google broken or something?

"My car needs gas! I'll put water in it from Wal-Mart!"

Well jolly good, your engine doesn't work, now does it?

http://panic.hopto.org/misc/macros/magic_goggle.jpg

Gurney Devries
May 13th, 2003, 08:14:10 PM
Originally posted by Vardlokkur

Why would I bother looking for a something else? I never thought I'd see the day that Babelfish would fail me.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 13th, 2003, 09:19:26 PM
"Jumpin jellybeans. Don't you get gas at a gas station, instead of from Wal-Mart? Because the logical thing to do would have been to get it from a reputable source like SourceForge or whever the XviD project page is. Was your Google broken or something?

"My car needs gas! I'll put water in it from Wal-Mart!"

WTF does that do with anything?

Shall I explain it in a better way?

Koolaid needs water to mix into drink.
My movie needed Xvid to play.

Koolaid packs says good source of water is a tap but tap water dirty.
Xvid site is down.

I use bottled Water
I download from Kazaa

Someone put poision in bottled water! O no! Everyone Dead!
Someone put a Worm with the download package! Computer Dead!

Seems to me, I was just unlucky (and stupid for not bothering to scan the contents)

But what you suggesting is that I should of gone across the street and asked if they have a water filter.

btw, i did search for other codec's before downloading from Kazaa, and tried a few(none worked)

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2003, 09:43:49 PM
Go buy a Mac.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 13th, 2003, 10:40:43 PM
What? And Miss my video games?

And miss even more movies?

Though, Final Cut Pro is easy to work with... NO! After Effects has so much more to offer! The easy workings between other Adobe products! Aieeee!

As a Media Design and Production student, I would recomend buying yourself a labotomy Morgan, maybe you could get rid of your Jackass Syndrome.

True, the only things I know about my computer that which I learned from playing computer games. I never bothered to understand the complete workings of my system, for that, I have friends. Even with that minimal knowledge though, I managed to put together and run a good machine.

But your constant insults and jibes are becoming very tiring, and I do not appreciate them, so I ask one final time to please stop.
I only allow my friends to dish out that kind of abuse, and you, are no friend.