PDA

View Full Version : Random Baseball Thread...

JediBoricua
May 2nd, 2003, 09:55:14 AM
I am starting this topic just to point out that the Expos (lead by Puertorrican Javier Vázquez) are leading the majors in ERA. They also have the leader in strikeouts and are atop the NL East with a 3 game win streak. :crack

That is all.

Use this thread to rant/rave about anything baseball, to say how bad the Red Sox's bullpen is, the fact that the players union accepted that the All-Star Game will determine Home-Field Advantage for the WS, or how two Puertorricans are the leaders in HR and RBI's in the AL (J. Gonzalez #1 in HRs, #3 in RBI's, C. Delgado, #1 in RBI's!). Other topics are Rocco, is he the next Dimaggio? How aggressive are Chicago Fans? How hard is it to hit an outfielder with a cel phone?

It was a great April, here's hoping for a great May!

JMK
May 2nd, 2003, 02:09:46 PM
They are on top and Guerrero is only batting .267, Michael Barret is just above the Mendoza line at .115 or something. I listened to the game yesterdat @ home while I was at home recouping from another eye injury and Zach Day was unhittable. He got 21 guys to ground out in the game. Then again, it was the Brew Crew.

GO EXPOS!

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 03:43:07 PM
My Sox are only three games back of NY, and they have won 4 straight games, I was really pumped with them sweeping the Royals. I love their offense and the bullpen is starting to get better (I think Embry is going to be the closer from here out) the Starting Pitching is worrying me after Pedro. Wakefield has been pretty good so far (leads the team in wins 3) Lowe has been very inconsistent not sure what to make of it. Fossum is still young but has a lot of potetial, Burkett I give up on him. They need one more starter might have to go out and get one before the trade deadline.

Taylor Millard
May 2nd, 2003, 11:49:01 PM
My Rangers are...well terrible.

Oh well. Not surprised.

*sigh*

Atleast we have some younger talent developing.

I think.

JediBoricua
May 3rd, 2003, 02:17:18 AM
Yeah the Sox's bullpen has been getting better, I just posted that to get you into the mix!

About Texas, it's a shame really, they have 3 of the top 5 leaders in homers and a great lineup, it's kinda sad.

BTW JMK, you heard that one of the pitchers on the farm team threw a no-hitter this week. Impressive! And El Duque is not even starting yet!

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 08:02:55 AM
The Bullpen didn't pitch great yesterday, most of that was Mendoza though, I am wondering if something is wrong with him. Plus Burkett pitched and I have given up on him. Also what does everybody think about the Cubs? They have been playing pretty good they have two great pitchers in Wood and Prior, also Clement is a great #3 if Estes ever comes around they will have an amazing pitching staff.

Jedieb
May 3rd, 2003, 04:15:42 PM
How horrible is it that the Sox get off to a great start even with a struggling bullpen but still find themselves in second place to their hated rivals? Sometimes I really do feel bad for you guys. I gotta say those seats above the Green Monster look great. I think that's a great compromise between history and commerce. they managed to make changes without really changing the look and feel of a classic baseball landmark. Kudos to the Sox. See, get rid of Dukette(sp?) and good things will happen!

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 04:26:45 PM
We are only three games back we will catch you :p Yeah I like the new ownership and GM no problems there. Oh Pedro pitched a CG 12 SO game today have to say he is the best picture in baseball.

CMJ
May 3rd, 2003, 06:07:13 PM
Seats above the Green Monster seems a bit wierd though. :) I know I wouldn't wanna sit way the hell up there.

JMK
May 4th, 2003, 05:02:38 PM
I just wouldn't want to fall off!

On a sad note, the Expos were swept by the Cards today. That sucked.

JediBoricua
May 5th, 2003, 10:42:43 AM
That'll teach not to post anymore random baseball threads! And the Braves seem to win everynight now...

:grumble

JMK
May 5th, 2003, 12:25:56 PM
I HATE the Braves. I can't say that enough times.

Jedieb
May 6th, 2003, 09:26:21 AM
You and me both. Only CMJ can stand such lovable losers. ;)

CMJ
May 6th, 2003, 04:48:06 PM
You hate them for very different reasons. I accept JMK's reason(divisional rival). Yours strikes me as hollow. :p

BUFFJEDI
May 6th, 2003, 05:16:04 PM
Not Baseball again:x ;)

Wow, I was losing faith in the Braves and mainly Maddux,but th etide has changed(I hope).I'm a Braves fan by default My dad is a Diehard fan, and I'm southern:rolleyes Although I do not keep up with baseball

Up here in Maine everyone is Like Diehard Red sox fans.The only Baseball news I here about are the Sox, the new's show's seem to forget there are other teams out there:huh

Storytime:angel

I had a 2nd cousin that in/around the early 60's had a chance to pitch for the braves.He was at spring training camp.His fience'(sp) called him and told him Point blank, I miss you if you do not come home now We are through.So he LEAVES spring training to be with herO_o :huh Now about 26 years later she does inherit about 7 million bucks But still how do you give up a chance of a life time for a overbearing woman?See where I get my smarts from:lol

BTW: CMJ read your e-mail from a few months back, a week ago Thanks for checking up on me, made me fill wanted:rollin

Jedieb
May 6th, 2003, 06:15:45 PM
As hollow as the Braves WS trophy room. :evil

CMJ
May 6th, 2003, 06:57:58 PM
Like I've said before said..at least they have a fairly recent one.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2003, 08:42:15 PM
Yeah more recent then our Red Sox :p I don't care for the Braves but that is more because they are too close to me, it also has to do with the fact I remember when they stunk, no body would go to the games, then they started winning everybody jumped on them.

CMJ
May 6th, 2003, 09:03:47 PM
I'll be happy if the Red Sox win in my LIFETIME. :p

JMK
May 6th, 2003, 09:03:49 PM
I'm 2-0 at Expos games this year!
If you all watch the sports highlights tonight you'll see me for sure, just when Cordero hits the home run, a dude in a brownish sweater and jeans hops over his beer swilling friend and down the entrance. That be me. Nice to meet you. :)

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 09:05:23 PM
Out in the outfield?

Gee will this make SportsCenter?

JMK
May 6th, 2003, 09:07:15 PM
Yep left field bleachers. I hope it gets on there!

CMJ
May 6th, 2003, 09:07:17 PM
I'm gonna be watching Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight...hell even ESPN News.

I will see this highlight. ;)

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 09:07:46 PM
Oh did you stick the landing? That's the key.

CMJ
May 6th, 2003, 09:10:23 PM
Originally posted by Taylor Millard
Oh did you stick the landing? That's the key.

:lol :lol

JediBoricua
May 7th, 2003, 10:39:10 PM
Expos win again!

I will try and see you JMK, I mean it wont be too hard to find you in Olympic Stadium, not that many ppl around anyway ;).

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 06:48:24 AM
5481 when I went. :(

CMJ
May 8th, 2003, 08:44:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I spotted Kyle. The shot wasn't very long, but a dude with his description made a huge leap over the rail and I busted out laughing.

JMK
May 8th, 2003, 09:29:45 AM
Sounds about right. :)

Came up empty though. :\

JMK
May 14th, 2003, 08:53:51 PM
The Expos today swept the Giants IN San Francisco. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they're for real. I wanted to wait another month to really pass judgement, but they are on a ROLL. 25-15, first time they've been 10 games over .500 in 7 years!

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 09:07:31 PM
My Sox are only 1 game back of the Yankees, this is a shock, IMO considering the problems with the pitching who would have thought they be 1 game back. Also they play the Yanks next week in Fenway, here hoping they take the series.

JMK
May 17th, 2003, 11:07:47 PM
Speaking of Red Sox bullpen pitching problems, that was another great job of suckage today at home vs Anaheim.

But on the other hand, the Expos won again and are 5-1 on their current road trip. :rollin

CMJ
May 17th, 2003, 11:40:35 PM
The Yanks lose, but so do the Red Sox. We *are* cursed. :p

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2003, 01:33:44 AM
Nixon blew that game, the bullpen actually has gotten better, still I wish we had a dominant closer

Jedieb
May 18th, 2003, 10:31:31 AM
And the Braves have been the hottest team in baseball over the last 30 or so games. When will this long national nightmare end?

The Royals have certainly cooled off, as have the Yanks. It looks like Boston and NY may spend most of the summer chasing each other. Which sets up yet another heartbreaking September for Red Sox fans. ;)

Gotta say I'm impressed with the Expos. That's a great record for a team that has to put up with all of the nonsense that they do.

CMJ
May 18th, 2003, 10:40:03 AM
What's interesting about the Braves is now they are more of a hitting squad than pitching..and they're still winning. After they let all their big guns leave(other than Maddox) I thought they'd be threw.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2003, 11:24:39 AM
I didn't think they would even be in the top 3 still, I am waiting for them to collapse again. The last few years they always fall apart when the playoffs come around. And Jedieb your too cruel :p Actually if the Sox make the playoffs I like the chances with Pedro going three times in a 7 game series.

CMJ
May 18th, 2003, 11:34:18 AM
Provided he goes on 3 days rest in the post season at least. If not he'd only pitch 2 times in a seven game series.

I guess they'd pitch him in a Game 1 and a Game 5 if that happened.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2003, 11:53:48 AM
Probably would depend on how the series went, if it was the WS I think they would pitch him on less rest if there was no tomorrow.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2003, 04:33:42 PM
Sox and Yanks are now tied. What is the wrong with the Yankees? We just swept that Ranger team and they looked terrible that whole series now they knock around New York is something going on there?

JMK
May 18th, 2003, 05:46:58 PM
I don't know what's up with the Yankees, it seems Mussina is the only one that's pitching well for them these days, but I'm glad to see the Sox pull into a first place tie with them. Imagine if their bullpen had of been more solid, they would be in front by 3 or 4 games at this point. There really does seem to be a curse on the Sox. Hopefully soon they can find the right ingredients to break it because I don't think they've got what it takes right now to keep that lead in the AL East.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2003, 08:20:20 PM
Yeah they blew a lot of games in that first month, the bullpen has done better I still would love to get a good closer there was some talk about Benetiz from the Mets not sure if he would work or not.

JMK
May 19th, 2003, 08:14:09 AM
He's almost automatic, just not with the Mets.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2003, 11:15:20 AM
Is that a good thing or bad thing. Also the Yanks and Sox play tonight this is always a great series, hopefully the Yanks don't kill us after getting swept.

Jedieb
May 19th, 2003, 11:39:52 AM
Is the game on ESPN? OH sweeeeetness....

If we're lucky the Babe will rise up out of his grave and step into the batters box against Pedro. Man, would I love to see Pedro try to drill him!

JMK
May 19th, 2003, 01:54:53 PM
At least Pedro stands and takes his beats unlike some other pitchers like Guillermo Mota who like to moonwalk back to the locker room when someone charges them. :lol

CMJ
May 20th, 2003, 08:31:05 PM
Boston and NY have split the first 2 games..tommorrow we'll see who goes ahead in the division!

Granted we're still in May. :lol

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2003, 08:41:48 PM
Heck Pedro didn't pitch he had a slight pain and they held him out, it doesn't sound like anything was wrong but I agree they should be very careful with him.

JMK
May 20th, 2003, 09:57:46 PM
I'd be careful with him too. I'm just waiting for something bad to happen to the Sox.

Expos won, Braves lost we're now 3 games back...

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2003, 11:00:20 PM
I am sure he is fine, it sounds like a minor problem but no point in him pitching and making worst.

CMJ
May 21st, 2003, 12:10:33 AM
I just didn't want the Rocket to get his 300th win versus Boston. It's gonna be painful when he goes into the Hall as a Yankee.

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 12:21:49 AM
He pitches tomorrow I hope he loses :) He won't get his 300 in Boston he might get against us if he wins tomorrow and then next week.

CMJ
May 21st, 2003, 12:24:28 AM
Shoot, for some reason I thought he pitched tonight. Crap! He HAS to lose then(or at least get a no decision!).

JMK
May 21st, 2003, 06:34:35 AM
He may not go into the hall as a Yankee, he made his mark in baseball as a member of the Red Sox, granted he won some rings and his 300th in N.Y. but the decision isn't his thankfully.

JediBoricua
May 21st, 2003, 09:10:44 AM
Players don't choose which jersey to wear when they are inducted? Weird...Who those then? The voters? The Hall? The teams?

JMK
May 21st, 2003, 11:02:32 AM
The hall of fame chooses so that any kind of back door deals players may make to wear a certain team cap are cut out and a "fairly" impartial decision can be made.
But I just learned that Clemens himself said that he wanted to go in as a Yankee. I think that may hold some sway over the voters when they decide which hat he wears.

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 11:07:30 AM
I think they should do it like the NFL and they go in as a player it is better that way.

JMK
May 21st, 2003, 03:48:47 PM
Too late for that though. Traditionalists and purists will go crazy at the mere suggestion! :p

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 04:28:56 PM
LOL I know but they have been ignored before (remember Interleague play) I still think that would be better especially now when most players change teams.

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 06:50:17 PM
Pitching Duel in Boston, 2-2 bottom of the 6th Clemens has been solid though I think Wakefield has pitched a better game only gave up 2 hits and have struck out 6.

CMJ
May 21st, 2003, 08:34:29 PM
Eh, we lose. Niiiice. :p

Jedi Master Carr
May 21st, 2003, 09:05:38 PM
Well we had our chances we left 7 or 8 guys on you can't do that and expect to win.

JMK
May 21st, 2003, 09:18:54 PM
But look on the bright side, the Expos won again and are now 2 back of the Braves! :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2003, 09:43:05 PM
New York loses again, they can't win at home for nothing right now. And Boston is in first not sure for how long though :rolleyes The Yanks are having some problems now mostly injuries they got a lot of players hurt Johnson and Williams are both going to be out about a month and half. Karsey, one of their best relief pictures, will be out all year. And Posada is banged up, if these injuries keep pilling up they could be in for some problems.

JMK
May 23rd, 2003, 11:03:46 PM
It won't be long before Steinbrenner loosens the purse strings and gets someone to fill the void(s)...

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2003, 12:23:31 AM
But there isn't anything out there so far. There is no pitching unless you want to count somebody like Valdez, not sure of a major hitter besides Ellis Burks, who I know is available. But the yanks will kill what they have left in the minors if they go after anybody.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2003, 08:38:21 PM
1.5 lead over New York, they are in a tail spin right now they can't win at home for nothing. And Boston is playing great maybe we can take 2 out of 3 at New York this week.

JMK
May 25th, 2003, 07:26:47 AM
Deny the Rocket #300 at home? Is there a God????

Did anybody happen to notice the 33000 fans at the Expos game last night? Yes, it was played in Montreal. :P

But it was $1 hot dog night. :D

And no, having every home game as a $1 hot dog night would lose it's appeal. ;)

CMJ
May 25th, 2003, 10:08:58 AM
I did notice the huge crowd there last night. Nice way to treat the fans too.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2003, 10:55:51 AM
Yeah I saw that too that was cool. What is Montreal avergering attendance wise this year? Also anybody else see the way the Dodgers are pitching? Their ERA is low, 2.77 and Kevin Brown seems to be pitching like his former self. They could be a team to watch out for.

JMK
May 25th, 2003, 05:01:10 PM
If the Dodgers can start scoring more than 3 runs a game they'll be unstoppable.

The Expos are averaging about 12000+ per home game as of the latest stats, but that also includes the puerto rico dates. Just as attendance starts to rise somewhat here, they hit the road for 25 DAYS! If they come back and they're still only 2 or 3 games back of the Braves then I think attendance will spike big time here.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2003, 09:17:13 PM
Thats cool. I feel the same way about the Dodgers their rotation is great they have 5 great starters and a great bullpen, they just need some kind of offense, they are only 1/2 game back of the Giants by the way. And both my Red Sox and Yankees lost but Nomar continued his hitting streak so thats cool.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2003, 03:59:58 PM
Well Clemens won't get 300 against Boston :) Boston is winning 8-4 with the 9th left. Clemens is long gone gave up 8 runs in 5 2/3 innings.

CMJ
May 26th, 2003, 04:10:47 PM
Pop open the champagne. ;)

JMK
May 26th, 2003, 05:08:57 PM
Salvation for Red Sox nation! phew!

JediBoricua
May 26th, 2003, 08:44:27 PM
I just realized, Montreal has the second record in all of the majors. :crack

I just wish that the other owners (remember every team owns the Expos) don't decide to trade their star players because it benefits their teams. It's a tricky situation and it could get ugly before the deadline.

Anyway they are coming down here in two weeks. I'm pumped!

JMK
May 26th, 2003, 08:52:19 PM
I'm cautiously optimisitic JB. The Expos have been screwed so many times I wouldn't be surprised if they imposed another fire sale at the deadline. I'm going to miss them for the next 24 days though. Bad start to the road trip for Los Expos though. 5-1 loss to the Marlins. :mad

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2003, 09:03:23 PM
I am so glad Clemens will not get 300 against us, let him get it against the happless Tigers :p Also anybody else see those Blue Jays? They are only 4 back of Boston and 1 and 1/2 back of New York, they are a team I am starting to worry about.

CMJ
May 26th, 2003, 09:03:41 PM
The Braves are just lights out right now. They're gonna be tough to catch if they keep this up.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2003, 09:06:34 PM
They actually lost today, I don't think they will make it to October, they may make the playoffs but I think they will fold like they have the last couple of years.

JMK
May 26th, 2003, 09:18:30 PM
Expos / Blue Jays World Series! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2003, 09:21:41 PM
LOL that would be great for you :p I don't see the Blue Jays getting that far, their pitching to me is very suspect.

JMK
May 26th, 2003, 09:27:05 PM
I know, I was just kidding. They've got some good arms and alot of good bats but I don't think they can get all the way to the playoffs. Leaping over the Yankees and Red Sox would be a tough thing to do.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2003, 09:29:13 PM
I know they are hot but I think they thing they could do is be spoiler sports they could keep the Sox or Yanks from winning the divison.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2003, 09:53:41 PM
Looks like the Sox finally have a closer

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0529/1560537.html

I like the deal, Hillenbrand is too streaky, IMO and he swings too much he like never takes a pitch. Kim is a good relief picture and can start as well. It looks like he will be in the rotation first until Pedro comes off the DL.

Taylor Millard
May 30th, 2003, 02:27:34 AM
Well I guess they've found whose going to replace Mark Grace at first base, when he retires. Unless the D-Backs have another in the wings, that I don't know about.

JMK
May 30th, 2003, 06:43:25 AM
Kim is good but what I remember him most for is the leads he blew in the WS a couple years ago. But he's still very young and looks really promising. Who's going to take Hillenbrand's place at 3rd?

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2003, 10:45:15 AM
Mueller, he is actually playing great hitting .385 and leads the MLB in doubles. I think Kim is a good addition he finally gives us a good closer (when Pedro actually comes back)

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:03:29 PM
:lol
Clemens & the Yankees couldn't even seal up #300 against the Tigers with a 7-1 lead! That is awesome! Now the long suffering Cubs fans are the next target.

Meanwhile the Expos are in the midst of a 1-6 road trip. This sucks.

CMJ
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:04:39 PM
The Yanks aren't playing well at all...or course neither is Boston.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:10:34 PM
Toronto is on the verge of passing both of them and Baltimore is only 5 games back, I didn't think the AL East could get this close.

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:41:56 AM
IMO Toronto won't keep this up. They're winning alot of games by out scoring them by 11-8 etc and that can't carry a team all year long. Sooner or later the defense will have to win a title for you. I do believe they'll do some damage though and will help determine who wins the AL East.

Dutchy
Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:28:47 PM
Here's my baseball rant: baseball sucks. :p

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:33:20 PM
Duly noted Dutchy, thanks. :p

CMJ
Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:08:33 PM
What JMK said. :p

Typical Euro response Dutchy. ;)

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:04:59 PM
Let's just hope that this doesn't turn into a "what we think of soccer....errrr.....football" thread.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:28:04 PM
Well lets get away from that subject what do you all think about Sosa

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0603/1562772.html

He says he only used it for Batting Practice I don't know what the league will do.

JediBoricua
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:30:01 PM
Sammy Sosa was ejected on using a corked bat...oh dear god this is very very ugly. :thumbdown

On other news, Expos loose again...crap.

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:45:58 PM
They got annihilated. They're starting to look like the team from 2001. :(

I'm really disappointed in Sosa. What a typical response "I don't know how that got there. I've never used anything illegal."

Suuuuure you haven't Sammy...

JediBoricua
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:16:15 PM
This really has some ugly repercutions, his hall of fame status will be in jeopardy now. Not to mention how the analyst and commentators will eat him up all season long.

Let's see for how many games is he suspended.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:18:02 PM
I think he will make it in the Hall of Fame George Brett had an even uglier incident with a cork bat I remember seeing that and he got into the hall.

Taylor Millard
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:41:50 PM
I thought that was pine tar on the bat?

Yeah this thing with Sammy is strange...seemed like a stand up guy.

Figrin D'an
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:03:58 PM
It won't affect his HOF eligibility as long as he doesn't have another similar incident in the future. Gaylord Perry was probably the worst cheater in baseball history, save perhaps Ty Cobb, and he's in Cooperstown. Unfortunately, this will seriously diminish Sosa's reputation, even if he is telling the truth

The interesting factor will be the examination of the rest of his bats... if the others are untampered, then it gives a little more credibility to his statement about a "batting practice" bat. If others are corked, then he'll look pretty darn guilty. Either way, he's in for a suspension.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:08:02 PM
Yeah I guess it was Pine Tar maybe I am not sure I just remember Brett got in a lot of trouble over it.

JMK
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:36:22 AM
I pray for Sosa that the rest of his bats don't reveal anything illegal. I've always liked him but this could change everything. And this could be the end of his endorsement deals if it goes on any further...

Jedieb
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:37:29 AM
I can't believe Sosa got busted with a corked bat. Unbelievable! That taints so much of what he's done for baseball these last few years.

As for the so called sport of sucker, can we get the lame baseball bashing post deleted? Let the footphiles start their own sucker thread and we can ignore that the way most of the U.S. avoides sucker games.:evil

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:46:52 AM
Well if the rest of the bats are fine, I think he is okay, he will get suspended a week but I don't think he will face and huge problems in the future. Heck I think he handled the situation better than Brett. I remember Brett arguing with the umpires. I don't recall him apologizing for the incident at all.

Jedieb
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:22:05 AM
http://www.soccersucks.org/

Wasn't Brett's situation just pine tar though? That was just ridiculous. Watching Brett storm out of the dugout was classic!

CMJ
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:23:49 AM
Really bad stuff for Sosa and the game. He was arguably the most popular guy out there.

Aegis Du' Caat
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:01:22 AM
Brett didn't get suspended and the ejection was overturned by AL President for being ridiculous. Brett's bat had pine tar up the handle of the bat one inch too high and I'm still not certain what advantage that would ever give anyone. Pine Tar's to make the bat easier to grip, it doesn't increase power.

As for Sosa, as a life long Cardinal fan I am dancing to the sounds of Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! I live in Champaign and most of my neighbors are Cubbies, so I went out and bought a bunch of corks and duct tape and have been leaving them gifts strapped to their doors!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:54:41 AM
Pine Tar is illegal though I have no clue what the adavantage is I think it makes contact better or something.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:07:44 PM
Here is the Brett Story I found it on ESPN

On July 24, 1983, at Yankee Stadium, George Brett of the Kansas City Royals came to bat with the Royals down, 4-3. He slammed a two-run tater off of Goose Gossage, giving the Royals the lead. By the time Brett had made it to the dugout, though, Yankee manager Billy Martin (acting on the advice of Graig Nettles, who, perhaps prompted by the superball incident, had read the rulebook) was protesting to home plate umpire Tim McClelland. McClelland asked for Brett's bat, examined it while conferring with his crew, and then called Brett out for having too much pine tar on his bat. According to the rules then, pine tar and similar substances couldn't be higher than 18 inches from the bat handle; Brett's bat was covered up to 19 or 20 inches. After the enraged Brett had been ejected for arguing the unusual call, the Yankees went on to win 4-3. The Royals protested the game, and AL president Lee McPhail overturned McClelland's ruling, reinstating Brett's homer

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:28:20 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Pine Tar is illegal though I have no clue what the adavantage is I think it makes contact better or something.

It's not illegal... Brett's bat just had too much of it on the handle, according to the McClelland and the umpire crew.

Pine Tar is quite sticky... it essentially helps the batter grip the bat better, helping to keep the hands in place and avoid torquing the bat during the swing because of sweaty hands and such.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:44:13 PM
yeah I didn't know that till I read the article I just thought it was illegal. I could see the contraversy there what is the rule now? The article acted like the rule has been changed.

Figrin D'an
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:33:44 PM
McPhail petitioned the Comissioner's Office after he ruled on the incident to have the rule officially changed. It was initially instituted because the owner of the Minnesota Twins complained that pine tar on the bore of the bat ruined baseballs and drove up equipement costs, rather than actually affecting the flight of the ball or anything. McPhail decided that the rule was stupid, and shouldn't affect the outcome of a game. MLB threw the pine tar rule out the year after the Brett incident.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 05:47:26 PM
Well that clears that up. Also it looks like it was only that one bat for Sosa. I think he is going to be okay then really he just made a stupid mistake, if I was him I wouldn't use a cork bat again even for practice.
And for Today's games Kim stopped the losing streak for Boston going 7 giving up one run as Boston won 11-4. Hope they can win the second in the double header.

JMK
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:44:42 PM
The Expos are just killing me. 1-8 in their last nine. They've still got a hold of the wild card, but not for long if this keeps up. They are playing like absolute garbage.

I live in Champaign and most of my neighbors are Cubbies, so I went out and bought a bunch of corks and duct tape and have been leaving them gifts strapped to their doors!
That is AWESOME! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:27:12 PM
My Sox swept the double header, and are again in first place I wonder how many lead changes we are going to have in that division.

JediBoricua
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:49:33 PM
I'm going to the game tomorrow JMK, Vazquez is pitching, perhaps they can turn it around...*sigh*

I can't begin to say how glad I am that none of the 76 bats they took last night had any cork or other substances inside. I really, really like Sammy, and it would destroy me to know that he had been cheating knowingly. But like they said at PTI today, next time he hits a homer, he should break the bat and show it to the crowd.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2003, 01:37:37 AM
76 bats?!?!

JMK
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:40:50 AM
I don't think MLB would have revealed that they found any more cork, Sosa is just about their most marketable player and helped to revive baseball, why would they do anything to change that?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:35:28 AM
I think they would have said something still, I read something on ESPN that said that half of the players cheat in some way (pitchers spit balls, hitters cork) and I bet that doesn't even count steroids.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:39:01 AM
I liked what Pedro said, of course he is going to defend him

number of players, particularly Sosa's Dominican countrymen, rallied behind him. ''He grabbed the wrong bat,'' Pedro Martinez said. ''It was a mistake.''

But Martinez said corked bats are not uncommon in the majors. ''I think at least one person has one on every team,'' he said, though he suggested that the vast majority are used in batting practice. ''I'm not going to say names, but everybody uses them.''

In fact, Martinez said he used a corked bat to hit a home run in batting practice at Olympic Stadium when he pitched for the Expos. ''I didn't like it because it was too easy to hit the ball hard,'' he said, adding that he also went deep with a regular bat ''to test myself and see how much strength I had.''

He suggested Sosa may take a harder hit than he deserves because of his stature. He noted that at least one of Sosa's bats is displayed in the Hall of Fame and another was given to the Dominican Republic.

''Why don't they go and break them apart and check if they're corked?'' he said. ''Are they corked? I don't think so.''

JediBoricua
Jun 5th, 2003, 03:51:20 PM
Yeah Sosa had 76 bats in his locker, so I'm guessing it's not that hard to get confused.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:08:35 PM
I wonder if Borigua is sticking it out at Hiram Bithorn, the Expos are in the bottom of the 14th but are about to lose.....again.

JediBoricua
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:45:45 PM
Yeah I was!!!!

Wohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My throat is sore, but I don't care! I was about to leave after the Angels scored but my brother convinced me to stay and watch the rest, after arguing his point I decided to stay! Thank God!!! This is the kind of win that get teams on a roll.

Although I'm pissed that Vazquez lost his decision (that catcher should be shot) he did have 11 K's, and I had a lot of fun. It has been my best game because we got to sit next to a huge group of newly turned Expos fans, we had a blast!

Too bad ticket's are sold out for the Rangers series.

JediBoricua
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:51:25 PM
On other news there is a rumor that the Red Sox and the Mets are on trading negotiations to acquire Alomar. IMO is a good move for both teams, though I do not know who will the Sox loose, and is a very good move for Alomar. He just hasn't been working at NY, and a change of scenery might do him some good.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:56:31 PM
I saw that where is the rumor coming from? I am just wondering if it is true. I would think we would have to give up Freddie Sanchez to get him I would think they would want him for him. The only way I make the deal is If I could get Benetiz, I would throw in somebody else maybe Fossum and another prospect.

JediBoricua
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:05:45 PM
I just saw it as a headline in the INsider page of ESPN, but since I have no access that's all I know.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:40:49 PM
If they checked 76 bats of soza's and none other's were illegal... I guess he's probably tellignt he truth

Figrin D'an
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:45:52 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
Yeah Sosa had 76 bats in his locker, so I'm guessing it's not that hard to get confused.

I really really have a hard time buying that.

I'm not surprised that Sosa had a corked bat. Lots of players have corked bats that they have played around with in batting practice and home run competitions and stuff. However, major league players are also generally borderline obsessive-compulsive about their equipment. Most experienced players can pick up a bat and can identify the length, bore size and weight based upon just feel and a quick glance. They sure as hell can tell the difference between a legit bat (especially one of their own) and a corked bat.

In my personal opinion, I think the "accident" came into play when he reached for a bat from his bag and pulled out the corked one. I think it took him about 10 seconds and a couple of warmup swings to realize that it was the corked bat, but he decided "What the heck... I'm in a slump, I'll give it a try."

Unfortunately for him, the bat shattered.

That being said, I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion, and once Sosa serves his suspension, nobody is really gonna care except for a few pathetic sport reporters like Rick Riley, looking to get 10 articles out of a 1 article story.

Jedieb
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:40:56 PM
I read somewhere that Sosa's HOF bats were also X-rayed. I think the sheer number of bats that were X-rayed and found to be clean help his story a great deal. Because of the kind of person Sosa is and his reputation I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Could he have succumbed to temptation because of his slump? Yes, but I'll buy his story because he's been such a stand up guy for so many years.

I live in Champaign and most of my neighbors are Cubbies, so I went out and bought a bunch of corks and duct tape and have been leaving them gifts strapped to their doors!
I like the Cubbies, but that is just friggin' HYSTERICAL! :lol

JMK
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:00:30 PM
I've heard the opposite, that Sosa is a complete jerk behind closed doors. The worst part of it all is that he got his 8 games, but there's no way he's going to miss the Yankees series. He'll appeal and once the Yankees series is over he'll withdraw the appeal.
I hate politics.:\

JediBoricua
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:23:28 AM
I don't know where you heard that from JMK, but he has come a couple of times here to Puerto Rico and although I have not met him, some friends of mine saw him at a restaurant and they told me he was extremely cool. He said hello, signed autographs, etc.

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:26:16 PM
Well Clemens doesn't get it done again. ;)

At least he's keeping the airlines in business by himself....flying Debbie, Kory, Koko, Koby, Keith, Kylie, Kay, Ken, KK, Kerry, and Kiki (not to mention another usual 50 IDIOTS that he's been bringing except for today) around the country for his games......

Go Roger - lifetime 299-299 will look good with a Yankee cap in the Hall.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:21:51 PM
Hope it takes longer :p My Sox won a wild game today 11-10 they were down 10-4 in the 6th and they came back partly from a Grand Slam in the 7th and back-to-back home runs in the 9th. What a game.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2003, 06:02:04 PM
The Expos looked to have turned things around, they swept the Rangers today, but I've been mostly out to lunch since Friday because of this softball tournament I was coaching in.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2003, 09:59:40 PM
My Sox won again and are again in first place the East is insane right now that is like 5 lead changes in two weeks.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:56:40 AM
Anybody else shocked by that no hitter against the Yankees last night? I wasn't shocked it happened just that it took 6 pitchers that was just unbelievable.

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2003, 12:10:03 PM
When the starter goes out after 1 inning you just don't expect a no-hitter.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2003, 12:57:27 PM
I know that is just unbelievable most of the time it becomes a blowout. On Baseball Tonight they were saying it was because the Yankees were unprepared for it and that the Astros have one of the best bullpen's in baseball.

JMK
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:10:53 PM
I love how no one notices how the Expos are going for the sweep in Seattle right now. A 1-8 roadtrip is now up to 7-8 with stops in Oakland and Pittsburgh to go. :)

JMK
Jun 18th, 2003, 09:17:57 PM
This really has been the roadtrip from hell! :mad There was once promise of turning it around, now it's officially a catastrophy!

CMJ
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:25:10 PM
Doesn't help that the Braves are playing so well right now.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:27:35 PM
There is the wild card but the way the Dodgers are playing that might be difficult.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:42:37 AM
They finally stopped the bleeding and the Dodgers actually lost a game. Phew. I was starting to hear MLB ready to pull the plug on my Expos!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:06:15 AM
Well the thing with the Dodgers you got to be glad about is they are a fight with the Giants. What could happen is the loser of that division could really fall because of the division battle. Its hard to say. The Dodgers were playing great ball I actually think they will catch and pass the Giants, I am not sure about the Giants I have a feeling they might not make the playoffs in the end but we will see.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:27:27 AM
I wonder if Alou can get his team into the playoffs? He's a wonderful manager, but hasn't been on a contender in years.

On another note, what does everyone think of Steinbrenner vs Torre? Anyone see a huge storm brewing? I do! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:04:12 AM
Especially if the Yankees don't make the playoffs. It is possible, IMO the AL East is a log jam with two games seperating the top 3 teams, that and the NL Central are the closest races where 3 games seperate the top 4 teams. I have to say there is a lot of parity this year and no dominant team, personally I don't see Seattle and Atlanta running away with it in the playoffs considering how poorly those two teams have played in the playoffs the last 4 years.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:38:40 PM
I can see Seattle doing well this year only because they can beat you in so many ways. They out hit you, they can play great defense, they can win a pitching duel. They're really got it all right now.

CMJ
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:50:09 PM
Much like the Braves - the Mariners seem to be built for the regular season, not October.

This is of course just my opinion. We'll see how they both fare in the next few months.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:24:07 PM
I look at it this way: The Braves pitching hasn't been as good as it has been in the past 10 years, and they're outhitting most of their opponents then giving the ball to John Smoltz who is pretty much automatic, except for last night. If he ever goes down to injury the Braves will be in trouble to be sure!

Now if only the Expos can get Guerrero and their 3 starting pitchers back maybe this slump can finally end.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:09:58 PM
I agree with you CMJ I think the Mariners are built more for the season they were great two years ago had the best record won 120 games didn't do them any good in the post season. I don't think the mariners have what it takes to win the WS though I could be wrong.

JediBoricua
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:14:56 AM
Juan Gonzales going to the Expos, what do you think JMK?

He will make a nasty combination with Vlad IMO, although changing leagues migh affect his performance the first few months. He had never played in the NL, and he can struggle like Alomar. Who knows, at least he'll be making another trip to Puerto Rico and will go to a team that is actually contending for October.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:38:46 AM
Rumor is he's rejecting the trade because he has a no-trade clause in his contract. Something that also scares me is the fact that Guerrero is supposed to be back in 2-3 weeks but going after Gonzalez makes me think he will be out longer than that. As for Juan's performance in the NL, I think there's something to that. He has never played in the NL but what worries me most is his durability and the fact that Montreal plays on turf instead of grass. He has until Friday 10am to make up his mind, but I hope that Omar Minaya can persuade Gonzalez to come.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:47:02 AM
I think it would be good trade for you guys if you convince him to come over.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:44:59 PM
That's what I thought about the Cliff Floyd trade last season! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:39:58 PM
LOL yeah and he didn't help us either and now he is on the terrible Mets which is another story. Hey what about Nomar? He is hitting over .400 for the month of June he is sure putting up some numbers this year, if keeps it up he has a chance at MVP.

JMK
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:40:44 AM
I know, I've seen him with 3 or 4 5 for 5 and 5 for 6 games in the past month. He's really tearing it up right now. Then again, he did do it against the Tigers. Those ever dangerous Tigers and the lethal 2-12 Mike Maroth! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:29:14 AM
LOL well he went 6 for 6 against the Phillies who are a better team.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:48:41 AM
Anybody see the Red Sox score 25 runs against the Marlins yesterday? And 10 of those runs came before they got an out a new record. I have to say their offense isn't a problem.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:28:16 AM
Well the Yankees-Red Sox Rivallry has gotten more heated. If nobody knows over the weekend Pedro hit (on the hands by the way) Soriano and Jeter. Now Steinbrenner is pulling all kinds of crap. Here is from the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/190/sports/Retaliation_in_Yankee_aftermath+.shtml

I tell you if Steinbrenner thinks that is bad for Baseball I wonder what he thinks about old timers like Gibson and Drysdell they would plunk a batter and not think anything about it. And my god they were hit on the hand what is a pitcher to do not throw inside. Steinbrenner is the biggest jerk I know man there is no need to start this crap.

JMK
Jul 9th, 2003, 12:38:53 PM
So let me get this straight:
Pedro gets ahead of Soriano and Jeter 1-2 and then hits them? Get a life George. :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 9th, 2003, 01:22:13 PM
LOL yeah he would have hit them at 0-0 if he had wanted too. Pedro just likes to pitch in tight it his style.

JediBoricua
Jul 9th, 2003, 06:01:08 PM
C'mon this sells more tickets!!!