PDA

View Full Version : Organizing the thoughts (Closed, Figrin)

Wei Wu Wei
May 1st, 2003, 05:26:56 PM
Wei was sitting on a bench outside in the garden that was located behind the Living Quarters. All day long the Jedi had been meandering through the garden, swinging from trees, running on the tops of the small ponds, hanging upside down from the branches, just anything and everything that could be done as he tried to sort himself out.

Now, Wei was tuckered out and sitting down, still trying to get his thoughts in order. "How will I teach this if I can't even get it organized so that I can understand it?"

Wei ran a hand through his hair and removed his glasses to wipe the lenses on his shirttail. Thinking was hard work. He wondered how everyone else managed to think like this and not be completely drained from the effort.

Figrin D'an
May 1st, 2003, 07:51:18 PM
It was a rare open day for Figrin. The Senate was in recess, the Council had no scheduled sessions, and.. amazingly... the pile of work on his desk had been wittled down to a few extraneous items that were hardly pressing.

That meant he could finally do some reading... reading that wasn't related to trade disputes and government inner workings. Rather than read in his quarters, he decided to enjoy the pleasent weather by finding the comfortable shade of a tree in the main garden.

His boots clapped against the cobblestone walkway as he surveyed the area, looking for an ideal spot to sit and rest. One of the largest and eldest trees in the garden lie just off the path, and Figrin headed towards it immediately upon spying it. Sitting nearby it's vast trunk was another Jedi... a man he recognized as Wei Wu Wei, a recent recipient of Knighthood. The knight looked tired, and perhaps a bit frustrated.

Figrin approached, as unassuming as possible, and smiled at Wei when he looked up to see who was there.

"Hello. Mind if I sit down? I've been looking for a spot to do some reading."

Wei Wu Wei
May 1st, 2003, 07:59:57 PM
Wei scooted over and motioned to the empty space next to him. "Hello, Master Figrin," Wei said, like a school boy would address the principal of the school. "You can read here if you like."

Wei paused for a moment, looking around. It was quiet, and for once, Wei couldn't stand it. "What are you reading?"

Wei fidgeted, still anxious about not being able to get his ideas situated into something coherent.

Figrin D'an
May 1st, 2003, 08:31:15 PM
Figrin looked up from his book.

"Oh, it's a copy of the 'Tale of the Daragons,' written by the nameless Wandering Minstrel. I've read it several times before, but this copy was sent to me several months ago by a friend... she found it at an estate sale on Bothuwui. You can see how old it is... the binding is pretty beat up, but it's written in the old Mid-Basic style that was used at the time. Supposedly, there are some things that are lost in the translation to modern Basic... so, I figured I'd find out for myself."

He smiled.

"If you'd like to borrow it sometime, you are more than welcome. It's a very good story, even if is does take some liberties from the actual historical account."

He could tell that Wei was anxious about something... but he decided to wait, and see if Wei would open up by his own choice, rather than force the issue.

Wei Wu Wei
May 1st, 2003, 08:48:23 PM
Wei scratched his head. Mid-Basic? Wei looked over Figrin's shoulder quickly to see the words. Wow. Wei couldn't believe that Figrin could read that.

"It looks confusing. To be honest, I'm a little confused too. But not cause of the book. Cause of something else."

Wei fidgeted. "Deal is, I'm teaching my Padawans the non-violent way to do things. How to find the peaceful solution by listening and yielding. I want to teach them that there is strength in gentleness, and that a smile can disarm the most powerful of villians. Most Jedi I seem to meet nowadays are a little to violent for me."

Wei sighed. "But when I teach my Padawans these things, I want to be organized, instead of hopping from one part to the next. I don't want my Padawans to not take me seriously because it seems like I don't know what I'm talking about, you know?"

The words just sort of came out. He didn't want to distract Figrin from his book, but Wei just had to say it. It really bothered him.

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2003, 08:57:43 PM
Figrin leaned back against the tree trunk, and closed his book.

"I see...," he said, almost instinctively. The Jedi took a deep breath through his nose, taking in all of the pleasant aromas that the flowering plants of the garden gave off. His mind drifted away from ancient tales and archaic languages, and began to think about instructing young Jedi on the importance of non-violent intervention. It was never an easy lesson to impart, no matter the student.

"Do you feel that your padawans just aren't as receptive to the concepts of peaceful resolution as they are 'lightsabre diplomacy?' Or do you feel your approach to the subject needs to be adjusted?"

Wei Wu Wei
May 4th, 2003, 09:25:56 PM
Wei took a deep breath through his nose and let it out in a long sigh. "I think they just aren't receptive. But that could also be because of my approach."

Wei thought for a second. "Well, it might help if I maybe took you through my approach. The whole thing hinges on more or less two things: strength in yielding, and compassion and mercy. I usually talk about compassion and mercy first."

Wei thought a little more. "It's a semi-socratic thing. I ask them questions, they answer me and then I comment on their answers. I like having my Padawans come to their own conclusions. I just guide them."

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2003, 10:07:53 PM
"That sounds like a reasonable approach," Figrin commented. "It's important for a Jedi to apply knowledge to form their own opinions. It often makes it easier for a student to accept personal truth when he or she discovers it for themselves."

The Jedi rubbed his beard thoughfully.

"Although, sometimes sharing experiences can serve as an impetus for promoting such thinking. Perhaps you could recall your own journey to enlightenment... provide a basis for comparison. Knowing that even the teacher was once the student can often open young minds, and show them relevency."

Wei Wu Wei
May 9th, 2003, 05:58:00 AM
Wei nodded. "Like my trip to Bakura," Wei said. "And also this one time on Tatooine a Sith tried to provoke me into fighting, but I refused."

Wei shifted. "I hadn't thought about doing that before."

Figrin D'an
May 13th, 2003, 08:57:35 PM
Figrin shifted as he sat, crossing his legs into a more comfortable position. He looked in the general direction of Wei, while his voice became reminiscent.

"You know... I've found in my own teaching experiences over the years that the more you can relate to a student on a personal level, the more receptive they'll tend to be to an idea. Sure, they'll think it to be kind of stodgy and unnecessary at first. But, given time and a personal touch... they'll start to see just how important it can be."

A memory popped into his mind, one that he found quite humorous... he laughed under his breath, but chose to share the story, if only in concept.

"I've also found that... in the case of some students... well, they like to think they've discovered the answer for themselves. It gives them a sense of self-accomplishment, even though they may have been guided down the path unwittingly by the teacher. So, your method is something that you should definately hang on to... you'll find it useful, I have no doubt."

Wei Wu Wei
May 14th, 2003, 08:00:13 AM
Wei nodded. "Thank you, Master Figrin. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind."

Wei thought for a second. "I'll suppose I'll have to find some time to have fun with my Padawans."