PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 2

Pages : [1] 2

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:19:17 PM
I am making this the official X-Men 2 thread if you want to post reviews, spoilers what ever post them here. Since the film has debuted in Australia yesterday and has now premiered a lot of places overseas today I want to know what people think of it. I guess Reaper will be one of the first to chime in :) As for spoilers keeped them tagged please no need to spoil the film.

Figrin D'an
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:23:37 PM
I'm going to see it on Sunday afternoon, I guess I'll avoid this thread here after until then.

Looks like the reviews are generally quite good. It was get around an 85% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:38:51 PM
Yeah I saw that I was surprised about that I think the first one got less than 60% from RT the first time I could be wrong there though. I am seeing it Saturday, I want to see it Friday but I just can't so I am not sure if I will view this thread much either until the temptation to read spoilers is huge.

Gurney Devries
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:40:20 PM
I think they'd have to try really hard to make this one suck. There's always naysayers. Hell, there are plenty of people on YMDB who seem to think LOTR: FOTR was the worst movie ever.

Droo
May 1st, 2003, 05:31:58 AM
Seven hours left! I prefer going to see films of a night and in a jam-packed cinema because there is more atmosphere, bloody ReaperFett will be on his way to see it now. :grumble

As for my review, I might as well give you it now: GUSH! :D

Jinn Fizz
May 1st, 2003, 06:57:46 AM
Picked up my ticket yesterday, I'm seeing it on Sunday...I'll probably check this thread just to see what the general reaction is, but I'll be avoiding spoilers until then. I've managed to stay fairly unspoiled on this movie, and I want to keep it that way since I'm so close to seeing it now. :D

Garrett Blade
May 1st, 2003, 08:05:26 AM
I went to the 12 noon showing at the Odeon in town. VERY VERY VERY good indeed. Miles better than the first movie. And some nice touches from the comics too :)

SEE THIS FILM!

NOW!

GO ON! MOVE IT! :)

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 11:26:58 AM
All in spoilers, just in case. Shouldn't be anything major.

Story was superb, will ONE exception. There is starting to become too many in the cast. Cyclops had barely any scenes, and some of the others were waivering. Hopefully the only characters X3 will add are ones that were cameos this time, and expand. Especially the Irish and Russian ones ;)

Action was excellent. I doubt I'll see a better fight than Wolverine and Deathstrike's. But my favourite will be the WHite House at the start, when Kurt takes over.

Humour was brilliant. Even in some of the tense moments, there were laughs.

Score was.......there. Nothing outstanding, but it did it's job.

Special Effects were top notch. I can't actually think of any bad SFX, and some of it was stunning.

Characters. Because I'm bored, I'll do 'em all :)

Wolverine is brutal. And it is great. This is Wolverine at his best (And I'm not a huge James Howlett fan). Jackman really is a perfect actor for this role.

Xavier is a vast improvement over a good X-Men performance. There is more to this man now than just running the school and having powers. More characterised.

Magneto. Forget LOTR, it's as Magento that McKellan should win an Oscar. Borderline evil, I almost feel sorry for the man. His entire life he has been treated like scum.

Stryker was a perfect bad guy, and with intresting motivations. Brian Cox played the character well.

Deathstrike said probably one line, but that was enough. A very imposing performance.

Mystique had a VERY intresting relationship with Magneto. You really wonder if there is more between the pair than a working relationship.

Jean Grey has Famke do the impossible. She made me LIKE Jean Grey. This is unheard of! But such a powerful performance.

Cyclops. Let's cut to the chase. He is the mistreated one once more. But this time, they manage to make it not so bad. Even when he wasn't there in person, he was there in peoples thoughts. And we see some good interactions between him and Wolverine, which is one of the highlights of the pair in the comics. If there is any goodness in this world, he will be a major player in X3.

Oh, and if that was a CD in his car, he has a bad taste in music :)

Storm was done well enough. If Berry thinks this was a small role, she can leave NOW. Kurt and her was developing nicely, and she was important in a large number of scenes. For a movie with such a large cast, she did A LOT.

Nightcrawler was possibly the star of the show. Cumming played Kurt with such enjoyment, and it showed. Every scene with him in was well done. And they played a lot on his faith, which just made the character all the more intresting. His tattoos suddenly become important. He was also very funny. The only shame? They didn't let the regular Joe know about his parentage. I hope they show this in X3.

Rogue was a waste. Seriously, I don't see the need for her. In X-Men, she was a plot point. But now what? She just seems to tag along. I love the comic version, but I find this one lacking. Hopefully she gets to perma-absorb something soon.

Iceman had some nice scenes, especially the Logan one. There was real emotion in his family scenes as well. I just wish he'd ice up! :D

Pyro was a genius character. So cocky, so arrogant, he was great. His powers gave some great scenes, and his talking with Magneto was excellent. Highlight was his blame quote to Bobby's parents :D

Collosus. KU-DUNK KU-DUNK KU-DUNK. PING PING PING. WHAM!

Say no more :)

A great part. And they kept him Russian! Hats off for that!

Siryn was better than I expected. Her scream was perfect. I just wish they had picked someone a bit older to play her. Hopefully they'll get someone else to play her in X3, unless the girl in X2 was older than it seemed.

Gambit, Beast and Multiple Man were there. Trust me :)

Overall, an EXCEPTIONAL film. This only just falls short of Daredevil. Both were near-flawless. Hopefully, they can keep the important cast members (That doesnt include Storm :) ) for X3. Most important, I hope they give us Cyclops fans something more. He deserves it, we deserve it and the story needs it :)

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 11:32:24 AM
BEST FILM
6. The Tuxedo
5. The Two Towers
4. Johnny English
3. Equilibrium
2. X2
1. Daredevil

BEST ACTOR
Affleck (Daredevil)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Farrell(Daredevil)/McKellan(X2)/Cumming(X2)

BEST ACTRESS
Garner(Daredevil)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Janssen(X2)

BEST MUSIC/SCORE
Daredevil

BEST SONG
Bring me to life(Daredevil)

BEST ACTION
Daredevil/Equilibrium/X2

BEST SFX
X2

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 11:44:53 AM
I am glad I didn't try to read any of those spoilers :) So Reaper I guess you really liked it.

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 11:45:42 AM
Carr, I can honestly say there is a 99% certainty of nothing you dont see in trailers :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 11:58:01 AM
LOL thanks Still I won't read them :p

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 12:06:27 PM
fine fine :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 12:11:32 PM
I am glad about the reviews 88% from RT so far 29 postive 4 negative so far that is looking good.

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 12:18:37 PM
And one of those negatives isn't a negative as well :)

Also, one of those reviews helps me question the validity of RT. They only use certain reviewers, right? Well one of the negatives, Slant or something, basically involves the review making childish insults and not really commenting on the movie. Wow, such high standards :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 12:37:24 PM
Slant is an awful magazine, I think they are a political rag or something. As I recal from the review I think they say X2 has an agenda or something. I don't care about their opinion. And yeah two of those reviews aren't bad they are 2.5 stars out of 4 which to me just says average to good not rotten.

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 12:44:31 PM
Exactly. IMO, there's only one decent negative review there :)

Droo
May 1st, 2003, 01:27:50 PM
:D!!! <--- Says it all for me. Really it does and I'm going to refrain from posting any review as such until I calm down otherwise it wont be anywhere near as logical or coherant as ReaperFett's. All I have to say right now is how amazing I thought it was, how it exceeded my sky-high expectations and how I doubt any Matrix or LOTR film this year will better it. Gush gush gush!

ReaperFett
May 1st, 2003, 03:00:05 PM
Be illogical! Be incoherant! :D

Mu Satach
May 1st, 2003, 03:41:36 PM
I get to see it tonight.

*bounces off the walls in her office waiting*

BUFFJEDI
May 1st, 2003, 05:12:20 PM
Off topic: Ok I know this is off topic But I just have to say that I am amazed that there is someone out there that loves DareDevil as Much as I do. I really thought since it was actually a Great movie and I liked it everyone else would hate it.I really just can notrave about it enough.

Anyway can't wait to see X-2 But I'll wait until the crowds die down.

2 questions for those who have seen X-2

Does wolve have those long sideburn things and did Jackman builk up a little more for the part??

I also like to say that I was not a Jackman fan until I saw Kate and leapold(sp). after that I saw swordfish, and a movie he was in with ashley judd. He really has grown on me and becoming one of the only actors that would make me see a film just because he's in it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 08:26:19 PM
He still has those sideburns buff, not sure about bulking up haven't seen it yet to judge. I think Jackman is a star of the future he is getting bigger and bigger.

Jedi Master Carr
May 1st, 2003, 08:54:25 PM
Reviews getting better 86% now out of 57. Also it has 79% of the cream of the crop (the big critics) and I know there are two more postive ones they haven't added Variety and Empire Online. I am curious to see what Ebert said, he gave the last one 2.5 stars and his two big complaints was not enough action and not much character development for Storm and Cyclops well he will get two of them it seems so I suspect a 3 star review at least.

AmazonBabe
May 1st, 2003, 09:51:31 PM
I'm not gonna be able to see it till next Thursday ( kinda promised I'd see the movie with my fiancee, so I hafta wait).

But I can tell you right now, I am REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY excited to see it!! :rollin

Ryla Relvinian
May 1st, 2003, 10:32:18 PM
I SO want to go right now and see it @ midnight... but I have two midterms tomorrow and I can't be dead for them. I'm so exited about this, much of my childhood involved the original cartoon (which I loved!) and I also enjoyed the first one. Everything I've seen and read looks so amazing, even the behind the scenes stuff at their officical site... wow. It shall be my reward friday afternoon! :)

Jinn Fizz
May 1st, 2003, 10:33:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
He still has those sideburns buff, not sure about bulking up haven't seen it yet to judge. I think Jackman is a star of the future he is getting bigger and bigger.

Hugh Jackman...mmmmmmmm...ooooo baby!!! :crack :crack :crack

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 07:34:50 AM
The guy is NOTHING on me ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 09:21:13 AM
88% out of 76 now, and they don't have 3 good reviews up yet either. Ebert gave it 3 stars and Variety gave it a glowing review. Also the Cream of the Crop is 85% which is really good.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2003, 10:01:35 AM
I get to see it this evening at 7:25.:D

And...and....I CAN'T WAIT! Gush gush indeed! :crack

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 10:05:19 AM
I have found the dumbest reviewer ever!

It also seems like Singer added plot and then had to scale back, leaving some holes. For example, when Bruce Davison returns as mutant-hating Sen. Robert Kelly, some of us remember he died in the first movie. There's an explanation for his reappearance, but it's murky at best.

So, who wants to point out the dumbness first? :D

Droo
May 2nd, 2003, 10:18:06 AM
:lol! That's atrocious, what to do with all the dumb people in the world.

Oh God, I want to go see it again tonight! I need to see this film again ASAP! Sunday hurry up!!! :crack

Mu Satach
May 2nd, 2003, 10:47:06 AM
Damn it was fine. :)

The final shot of the film was just iceing on the cake.

FILM THE NEXT ONE NOW DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Mu Satach
May 2nd, 2003, 10:51:19 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I have found the dumbest reviewer ever!

So, who wants to point out the dumbness first? :D

oh dear god...
that person should be banned from watching movies.

Droo
May 2nd, 2003, 11:03:11 AM
Or talking/writing/expressing an opinion.

By the way, about the ending, I think it is the most satisfying of movie endings ever for me and the voiceover of Jean saying what Xavier said at the very start of the first film with that panoramic shot was just gorgeous and that last image just blew me away.

Mu Satach
May 2nd, 2003, 11:09:32 AM
My friend was all bummed out at the end and couldn't quite figure out why I was bouncing around in my seat. He finally twisted my arm so I had to tell him.

AmazonBabe
May 2nd, 2003, 11:11:07 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

DEATH TO ALL CRITICS!!!
ESPECIALLY movie critics.

AmazonBabe
May 2nd, 2003, 11:12:25 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

DEATH TO BAD/DUMB MOVIE CRITICS!!!
Which consists pratcially all of em.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 11:28:53 AM
Keep saying it ;)

Droo
May 2nd, 2003, 11:37:17 AM
I think it's hilarious to think that those who are completely unfamiliar with X-Men comics and plots will be completely flabberghasted when Jean suddenly bursts into flame while holding back the water. They'll think she spontaneously combusted before she died! :lol

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 11:40:17 AM
And noone will know the cameos :D

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 12:44:24 PM
This reviewer is the Iraqi Information Minister of Reviewers! :D

Clearly, this movie is designed to sell action figures rather than make sense.
Clearly it was made as a seuql to the much loved film based on a comic you mean

but the final confrontation comes straight from James Bond and Mission: Impossible, as our heroes must breach what turns out to be an extremely pregnable fortress.
I remember that Bond film where James pulled out claws and fought someone similar. And dont forget the laser eyes and blue skinned teleporters!

On one hand, we have the benevolent, mindreading mutant leader, Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart), who owns a machine - the Electro-brain or Electrolux or something - that can locate any mutant on the planet. Despite being armed with these impressive resources, Professor X is taken by surprise not once but twice: when a bunch of SWAT guys invade his mutant school, and later in the film, when he's easily captured by the villain(s).
It detects people, not tells them what they're doing. Didn't he notice this? Or would he like him to conveniently be reading the right minds all the time?

Since he's been granted omnipotent powers - at one point, he actually seems to stop time
If you watch the film, you can see an error in that comment. And he obviously doesn't stop time, as the TV in the background is playing.

The characters' powers are wildly inconsistent. One moment, Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) beats up dozens of Secret Service agents, the next he's easily captured by one lightning bolt from Storm (Halle Berry).
Because you just expect people to fire lightning, don't you!

It also seems like Singer added plot and then had to scale back, leaving some holes. For example, when Bruce Davison returns as mutant-hating Sen. Robert Kelly, some of us remember he died in the first movie. There's an explanation for his reappearance, but it's murky at best.
Yeah, that whole dying midway through X1 and being seen at the end with yellow eyes, where the X-Men help you out by saying "MYSTIQUE", incase you dont notice the obvious.

For his part, Jackman (Swordfish) brings some charisma to the role, which cannot be said for the likes of James Marsden as Cyclops, a goody-goody mutant punching bag who always gets floored at the critical moment
CYCLOPS DOESN'T HAVE CHARISMA???? Great Scott, how could they stick so accurately to the comics!

In another blatant marketing ploy, Singer tries to skew X2 younger by adding a useless plotline involving three teen pals: Rogue (Anna Paquin, who is not making room for another Oscar), Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) and Pyro (Aaron Stanford).
Or maybe because 2/3 of these are VERY popular characters?

AmazonBabe
May 2nd, 2003, 12:54:34 PM
:rolleyes

Shall I go ahead and repeat my last post?

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 12:58:28 PM
Although, honourable mention must go out to this one:

Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming), whose powers include walking through walls, vanishing in a plume of fume and reciting the 23rd Psalm in a German accent
He can mix mutants! He made..........KITTYCRAWLER! Because, surely he couldnt miss the two scenes when Kurt points out his problem with teleporting that would be negated by wall phasing :)

And although I cant find it, I hear there is one reviewer that thinks the makers of TOp GUn should sue for calling a character Iceman. That's Bobby Drake, member of the original X-Men, 30 years before Top Gun :D

Mu Satach
May 2nd, 2003, 01:43:45 PM
KittyCrawler! :lol

btw - Kitty was cool.

The characters' powers are wildly inconsistent. One moment, Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) beats up dozens of Secret Service agents, the next he's easily captured by one lightning bolt from Storm (Halle Berry).
apparently he missed the damn dialogue of Kurt saying he couldn't stop himself and he didn't want to hurt anybody and he missed damn mark on the back of his neck indicating that he had been under Strykers control... this person was probably confused by Scott attacking Jean as well. :p

Honestly... these people should be banned from entering any movie if they are not going to pay attention. We're not dealing with nuclear physics... it's a simple straight forward storyline. *sigh*

AmazonBabe
May 2nd, 2003, 01:44:41 PM
Dear Lord... how can you mix Kitty and Kurt? yeah, their first names begin with a "K", but that's about as far as the similarities go. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2003, 02:23:09 PM
AUGH SPOILERS >_< FETT :mad

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 02:25:16 PM
I dont see any spoilers there.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2003, 02:30:19 PM
Despite being armed with these impressive resources, Professor X is taken by surprise not once but twice: when a bunch of SWAT guys invade his mutant school, and later in the film, when he's easily captured by the villain(s).

:mad

Maybe I'm just sheltered. :(

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 02:33:11 PM
He's wrong again, don't worry :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2003, 02:34:31 PM
Anyway, Xavier is a telepath in a wheelchair. What did he expect?? Prof. Xavier, with new kicking action and kung fu grip!

6 hours until movie. :crack

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 02:37:37 PM
YES! WHAT A MOVE FOR CHUCK! KUNG FU WHEELCHAIR USER!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 03:34:25 PM
Man some of those critics are so stupid :) The Iceman thing is hilarious I wonder what critic did that? Also RT has it at 87 % with 77% cream of the crop this is compared to X-Men 80% Cream of the Crop 58%, that is an improvement, heck I think they haven't posted all the fanboy ones so it will probably rise to 90 when it is all said and done.

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 03:36:43 PM
What this guy is talking about I don't know

"Harry Potter gets daggers in his hand and meets the Lord of the Rings while Star Wars plays on in a comic book universe generated, once again, by computers."
-- Boo Allen, DENTON RECORD CHRONICLE (TX)

Where is Harry Potter in X-Men :p

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 03:50:36 PM
Maybe they mean the blinking kid :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 03:54:02 PM
Is that the kid in the trailer with the glasses? If so that review needs to have his eyes examine and his hearing checked to think that is Harry Potter. I guess they mean Mckellan with the LOTR reference. Not sure what they mean with the SW reference.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 03:57:25 PM
Erm...........Mark Hamill did the voice of Wolverine in the game? :)

CMJ
May 2nd, 2003, 05:17:30 PM
:lol Boo Allen writes for my hometown paper! I never thought I'd see her reviews again.

Taylor Millard
May 2nd, 2003, 05:48:59 PM
worst....

sequel.....

EVER!

;)

That had to be one of the best comic book films ever made. Marvel is continuing to make excellent movies from their characters.

Now if they can just fix their books (shut up Fett I know you disagree :mneh ;))

Mu Satach
May 2nd, 2003, 05:49:42 PM
I'm having fun re-reading these as I wait to go see it a second time... and for some reason this comment about Sen. Kelley strikes me extremely funny!

There's an explanation for his reappearance, but it's murky at best.

The explanation is murky at best?!?!?!? :lol
So you know all that fancy cgi work of Mystique changing around was completely wasted on this person.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 05:51:50 PM
Taylor, you're just stupid if you want the books changing ;)

Heck, you dont even read em, how would you know? ;)

Taylor Millard
May 2nd, 2003, 05:55:59 PM
psh whatever.

What they need to do (and maybe they have) is write the book sat a PG-13 level. Write Wolverine at a PG-13 to R level.

Morrison, in my mind, is too over the top for X-Men. If you look at his last few issues of JLA you'll understand why.

Keep the Ultimates at a PG level since that's attracting the younger audience (to my knowledge). It's a good thing they brought back Phoenix in the books so people will understand X2 and X3.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 06:24:22 PM
Ultimates is NO WAY a PG thing. Trust me, it is more.

ANd Ultimate X-Men is similar. WOlverine is rough. Heck, he dropped Scott off a mountain just for Jean!

[Wolverine and Beat talking about some SOldiers that attacked Logan]
"How many troops would you say you killed Wolverine?"
"Killed? Heck, I didnt kill anybody Beast. I know the rules about usin' your powers against these sweet little homo sapian innocents and all that jazz"
"Okay, allow me to rephrase the question - How many of these soldiers do you estimate you might have hospitalised back there tonight?"
"Uh, couldnt have been more than fifty or sixty"

Get the point?;):)

And the Rucka preview of Wolverine #1 in Wizard was very gritty. I might start collecting it, and I'm not really the biggest James fan! :)

And Morrison really does tella good story IMO. Multi character, multi arc. Fantomex and Xorn are two great characters he has brought in. And the Scott/Emma affair was great writing.

And Phoenix has just returned BIG TIME in UXM, and is around more in NXM

Shrin Safserim
May 2nd, 2003, 06:31:39 PM
X2 owned. That's my opinion in a nutshell. This movie was alot darker than the original, and I thought it suited it well.

Though when they finally showed us how they did Wolverine's enhancements, and showed what Stryker had done to his own son...that was outright cruel. I'm going to have nightmares of both of those for a week...::shudders::

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 06:33:38 PM
About the reviews the biggest complaint was, it is too long. That to me is stupid I remember the biggest complaint of the first one it is too short what do they want?

Shrin Safserim
May 2nd, 2003, 06:34:52 PM
Oh? It wasn't much longer than the first, was it?

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2003, 06:40:36 PM
30mins or so I think.

Charley
May 2nd, 2003, 11:52:36 PM
Seen it.

Two words.

<font size=40>KURT WAGNER</font>

Always been one of my favorites, and even moreso now.

That said, this movie = incredible cinematic joygasm.

Jean Grey - VERY NICE ending a la Wrath of Khan. So glad they didn't show the Phoenix transformation, and left the uninformed to guess wtf happened.

Cyclops - Prick. Hate him. Glad he was even more lame than in the first one. He should die.

Wolvy - Rad. It's cliche to have him as a favorite, but I do. O well.

Magneto - My favorite of the series, then, now, and forever. Magneto is one of the greatest characters in any work ever.

Charles - Glad they fleshed him out.

Lady Deathstryke - Suffering from a bad case of Darth Maul syndrome. Sad to say, but hey...you can't keep em all around, or give em lines.

Iceman - meh

Pyro - Hi James Dean.

Rogue - Rogue was in this one?

Storm - STOP MOLESTING KURT, you evil Jezebel!

Mystique - business as usual

Kitty Pryde - Luvly action sequence

Colossus - WOO!!

Disappointments (trivial): No Beast :cry No Archangel :cry

Elation!: No Gambit :D No Juggernaught :D No Jubilee :D

BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVAR

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 11:55:31 PM
Beast is in you just have to keep your eyes open, or so I have been told, have to ask Reaper where he is. Gambit was suppose to be in it too but I am not sure if he made the cut or not.

Charley
May 2nd, 2003, 11:57:19 PM
I want a Beast prison scene. All he ever did was sit on his butt in prison, but hey...it was his choice. Not like he couldn't bust out on a whim.

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2003, 11:59:08 PM
Yeah they did a whole season of that in the Cartoon series :p I think in the movie he is just Hank Mcoy I will keep an eye out tomorrow when I go to see it I can't wait :)

Taylor Millard
May 3rd, 2003, 12:28:27 AM
He is in the film. They got a good guy to play him too I thought

Charley
May 3rd, 2003, 12:32:28 AM
WHERE??? WHAT PART? :eek

Taylor Millard
May 3rd, 2003, 12:34:27 AM
He was on the television asking the talk show host if internment and registration was better. I think he may've made a comment about concentration camps too.

Oh here'something I loved about the movie being true to the comic

Wolvie smoked cigars and drank beer :D

Charley
May 3rd, 2003, 01:09:20 AM
Taylor...he did that in the first one :rolleyes

And I guess I never saw that part. Damn I must see it again!

Taylor Millard
May 3rd, 2003, 01:14:23 AM
No but they were actually lit this time. He chewed on 'em in the last one. We might see a Cigar Aficianado interview now :lol

Yush! I'ma gonna go see it again too.

Charley
May 3rd, 2003, 01:46:32 AM
You're so technical. I hate you.

Ryla Relvinian
May 3rd, 2003, 01:50:09 AM
Not a cigar fan but here's my 2 cents:

First of all, much darker than the first movie. Much more violent as well, which was cool, but being as I tend to absorb movies and feel the emotions (must be my mutation I guess!) I, like Shrin, will be disturbed for days regarding the issues with Stryker's son. Wow... a lil too much for me.

Storm's hair is MUCH better and no pseudo accent. Yay!

PHOENIX HOLY BEJEEEZUS!

Wolverine's fights... MOTHER OF HOLY BEJEEEZUS!

Great movie. I could see the similarities in Bobby's coming out scene to a Gay coming out scene... I know, I know, don't overanalyze. But stilll, the comment "have you tried not being a mutant" is very common in our world today, sadly enough.

That is all. :)

Taylor Millard
May 3rd, 2003, 02:00:19 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
You're so technical. I hate you.

Yes yes I know I know. But given that Marvel has instilled a non-smoking policy on this comics (:rolleyes) it was nice to see them stick to the original stuff.

Oh and also yes I am so technical. During Hannibal my best guy friend and I were trying to figure out what kinda cigar Hopkins was smoking.

And I believe Logan was smoking a robusto, and it wouldn't surprise me (given it was filmed in Canada) it was a Cuban

And yes the Wolvy fight scene was great :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2003, 02:09:52 AM
I saw the movie.

I am now ashamed to say that I had to have the ending explained to me, because I am one of only a few who had no idea Jean Gray became anything other than what she is in the first movie. :( I'm ashamed. But...excited!

Phoenix is going to rawk.

Nightcrawler is awesome! The first scene is incredible,. I'm too tired to gush anymore. The fight between Deathstrike and Wolverine was teh ossum, and it was sad at the end when you realized that she was dying, now not under Stryker's control anymore. Yes, Darth Maul syndrome indeed. Oh well.

Mystique had a great role in this movie...and I'm positive she and Magneto are doing the horizonal mambo on the side. :x Gross! She just wants a belly full of another baby, as was obvious by her trying to seduce Wolverine. I think. Maybe?

AUGH I loved it. Going to see it again. Now! ...Ok not now, but soon!

JediBoricua
May 3rd, 2003, 02:13:31 AM
HOly Mother of God what a movie!!!!

I'm not a superhero fan, though I grew up with the X-Men cartoons, and it was really really good!

I love the fact that Wolverine was slicing soldiers, stabbing chests and cutting throats! It was refreshing to find a movie that took chances at being found offensive and that had no fear of showing how brutal heroes can be! Loved that!

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 06:50:58 AM
Charley, Jubilee was there :D

I just wish deep down, in my little fanboy heart, that we saw thefastball special. Or a hint at it, like seeing Colossus walking away from the balcony after Wolverine had leapt down :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 08:00:00 AM
Reaper where is Gambit or did he not make the cut?

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 08:09:05 AM
He named on the computer screen with Jamie Madrox (Multiple Man), and IIRC Dani Moonstar, Franklin Richards (Reed and Sue's son) and McTaggert (Surname of Moira)

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 08:15:31 AM
Thats cool I will have to keep an eye out for that so the FF I guess already exist in this time line and have had Franklin that is interesting. Still you would think though the FF would stand up for the mutants unless Stryker would want to kill them as well.

Droo
May 3rd, 2003, 09:08:47 AM
Why the hell did Taylor feel that the identity of Wolverine's cigar type was spoiler material!? :lol

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 09:43:26 AM
Quiet man! You'll ruin the film! ;)

imported_Blade Ice
May 3rd, 2003, 10:37:38 AM
I'm unlike most of you disappointed in the film, because before the movie came out they had so many hints at which Characters would have cameo’s and guess what there was barely any cameo’s what so ever. Gambit was non existent unless you consider His name on the Computer screen a cameo . Being a big X-men fan I can not in good conscience say this was a better movie then the first.

Every time I think about this movie since it ended at 11:30 last and I went home and went to bed I keep seeing problems with it. The story revolves around Jean and Logan for the most part; the good part was Cyclopes was barely non existent in the movie .

So I say for all the hype it got it’s only as good as the first witch I liked so I don't hate this film but it could have been allot better. If there is going to be X3 I already have an idea of what its going to be about and they better have Gambit in it or I'll strangle every last one of them.

Xander Caine
May 3rd, 2003, 12:52:41 PM
I thought the movie was 2 or 3 times better then the first one which I thought was okay at best. I have to see it again. The only thing I didn't like was that Gambit wasn't in it but Nightcrawler & Pyro made up for that though.

I can't wait for the next movie.

Dutchy
May 3rd, 2003, 02:10:19 PM
$32.5M estimated for its first Friday. That's huge.

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 02:29:20 PM
Wow that is huge it might reach my guess :) I am thinking 85-90 right now.

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 02:43:43 PM
Also I just realized this X2 doubled in one day what Identity did all last week.

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 03:14:02 PM
Showbizdata has got it at 33.8, I hope they are right for a change :) If they are it will make closer to 95 and could maybe just maybe make 100 for the weekend. Which would be awesome.

Also I want to my review so here it goes

First before the spoilers I loved it was way better than the first X-Men movie and to me the best Comic book film ever it was just that good.

I am going into spoiler mode

First I loved the beginning that was an amazing way to begin the film and SFX were just amazing they should get an Oscar nod for that alone. Now I am going to do like Reaper and the others and go through characters

Wolverine: man I loved him again. Jackman was awesome he did a great job once again

Magneto: Like Reaper said Mckellan was amazing, I think he is oscar worthy of course he would never get an Oscar for a comic book film but he was amazing in the film. Also for one second I actually sympathized with him over Stryker but by the end of the movie I did no more what he was going to do was no better than Stryker.

Nightcrawler: He was amazing and very true to the comic character I loved his lines Cumming did a wonderful job in the film, the guy is a great scene stealer

Jean-Gray: Or should I say the Phoenix. I could see the transformations from the beginning her powers were just getting stronger and then later her eyes starting to get red. Janseen did a great job in the film, I can't wait to see what she will do in X3

Xavier: I liked Xavier more in this film, the last film he was kind of out of it the last 1/3 this time he had more of a role to play though in a way different manner.

Rogue: Now I have to disagree with you Reaper here, I like Rogue better here, it is better because she is not some totally invincible character which she has been in the comics. I do hope she gets more to do in the sequel but I liked here. I did like her in that nightie :p

Iceman: Iceman had some great moments the thing with the coke that was funny and the whole thing with his family was great and very touching still I want to see more he defintly has more to learn with his powers like icing up, I did like how he used his powers to save Wolverine.

Pyro: He had some great scenes as well the one with the Police was great it showed he was starting to like which showed his transformation into a villain.

Mystique: She was even better here, I loved the fight scene that was great. I loved all the transformations she made esepcially with Wolverine

Storm: Finally Storm did more she was great in the film, she really used her powers in some great ways and she was the one that really saved humanity by going in there with Nightcrawler and stopping Xavier.

Cyclops: Cyclops was hardly in the film, but I didn't care :p I am not a big Cyc fan I guess.

Lady Deathstrike: She didn't have much of part but when she was around wow. That fight sequence was one of the highlights of the movie.

Stryker: Cox was brilliant as the bad guy I really loathed him, he was a sicko even though he had a motive he was still very wrong.

Collossus: was great I loved the scene where he knocked those guys out the wall, I expect more in the sequel from him.

That is pretty much it I have more to say about but will wait I have thoughts on the sequel but will post them later I have some possbilities for X3 and other films.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2003, 06:26:21 PM
Iceman: Iceman had some great moments the thing with the coke that was funny

Dr. Pepper!!

:lol

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 06:43:23 PM
nitpicker! :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 06:48:51 PM
Hey I didn't pay attention to the Brand :p

Sejah Haversh
May 3rd, 2003, 07:03:50 PM
I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out, but did anyone else notice that when the 20'th Century Fox title screen fades out, the X glows longer than all the other letters in the fadeout? It's very minor, but I know that is not the standard 20th Century Fox fadeout. What cunning post-productions folks we have on films these days.

And, I truly did like this film better than the first one. It was quite the enjoyable romp. Even though my friend did bail one me and I ended up seeing it alone, which wasn't as fun.

sirdizzy
May 3rd, 2003, 07:33:52 PM
X-Men 2 (2003)

Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy 2 hr. 14 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi action violence.
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin
Directed by: Bryan Singer

Based on the long-running and very popular Marvel comic book series and the sequel to the hit movie of 2000, X-Men takes place in a near and possible future, as certain humans are evolving into mutants who have special powers from this mutation, from the ability to walk through walls to abilities like controlling the minds of others. But it’s these abilities that have the rest of humanity react to their powers with fear, hatred, and anger. People from both sides those of the mutants and those of humanity believe a war is brewing that will decide who becomes the controllers of humanity and the next step in the evolutionary chain. When a mutant named Nightcrawler almost succeeds in an attack on the President of the United States the fear and hatred come to a boil. The President okays General Striker to go ahead with an attack and recon mission on the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters a school a powerful mutant named Charles Xavier started to help out mutants. At the same time Xavier and Scott Summers (Cyclops) go to visit and old friend who they fear may behind the attacks Magneto while Storm and Jean Grey try and track down the would be assassin. But when they arrive and talk to Magneto they realize something more sinister may be going on, as it appears that Magneto wasn’t behind the attack and that someone seems to be controlling mutants. Wolverine who has returned from his search of his origins finds himself as protector and also as a key element in some link to General Striker as the X-Men try and figure out who is behind this new war and how to stop them before it is to late.

Much of the first movie dealt with setting up the characters and the story for those who might not be familiar with it. This time around the movie takes no time at all in getting into the action as from the very first scene of the movie to the very last the movie is action packed and visually entrancing. With less time spent setting up the characters and story it allowed the movie to be more action based and more exciting. Also this time around the movie is much more complex and intriguing as we get to see more of the use of mutant powers as well as see more of the strife between mutant kind and humanity. This made for a much better movie that was both exciting as well as dramatic. The movie also seemed to be setting up for another sequel as the ending left hints to what the next movie will be about for those who are familiar with the comics. I was pleased with the better character development as we got to see more of Logan, Jean and Scott’s tumultuous relationship as well as hints to Logan’s past. The first movie which seemed to be lacking at plot at times to set up the story might just have been in fact setting up for the more exciting, enthralling, and glorious sequel. This movie passed its predecessor in every facet from story, to acting, to the more plentiful and better done action sequences. If you loved the first movie, you will be more than pleased with this movie as it is everything that the X-Men series promised to be and more.
4.5 stars out of 5

sirdizzy
May 3rd, 2003, 07:37:39 PM
the thing that bugs me with iceman is that they have him as a kid in the movie when iceman was one of the original x-men from the very first comic in 1963in those funky <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> suits

but i loved him in the movie hopefully we will get to see more of him in x-men 3

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 07:41:49 PM
Well, Bobby was young back then, and he's only aged 10 years since (Marvel rule, IIRC, is four real years = one Marvel year)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2003, 07:55:42 PM
"Why don't we get uniforms?"

"They're on order. They'll be here in a few years." I loved that dialogue sequence. :D

Also notice, in the second to last scene, Iceman and Rogue both had uniforms. They're proper X-Men now, I guess....although they didn't do anything really spectacular besides nearly crash the X-Jet.

I want to see more Colossus, he was awesome! :D And the Siren/Syren (however its spelled) girl was really cool, I loved how her scream affected everyone in the house.

ReaperFett
May 3rd, 2003, 07:59:13 PM
Siryn :D

One thign about the uniforms. Bobby and Rogue get some in a few years. So how did they pick some up as they rushed to DC? Did Xavier stop off at the tailors? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2003, 09:06:50 PM
LOL
Also I am going to bring this up now about a possible sequel

I have some ideas since we know it will be about the Phoenix how will that play into the next film.
Possibility A The Sentiles are created Phoenix comes in and helps the X-Men destroy them. Maybe Magneto even tries to use them for his own plans.
Possibility B Jean returns as the Phoenix, has no memory of who she was, Magneto and his crew takes her in he uses her for his own gains. He adds more mutans to his Brotherhood Pyro, Avalanch, Sabertooth maybe again maybe even Juggernaut. The X-Men fights it Jean regains herself and defeats Magneto
Possbility C Jean comes back same as B but Apocolpse uses her.

Now I like C but I am not sure if they can do Apocolpse and have time to get into Phoenix story too much to do there. Right now I say B it makes since. And it has been set up. The Sentiles would be cool but are incredibly hard and I am not sure how to work Magneto and Phoenix into them, maybe save them and Apoclopse for possible later sequels

Darth Viscera
May 4th, 2003, 12:49:19 AM
Originally posted by Dru
Or talking/writing/expressing an opinion.

By the way, about the ending, I think it is the most satisfying of movie endings ever for me and the voiceover of Jean saying what Xavier said at the very start of the first film with that panoramic shot was just gorgeous and that last image just blew me away.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, same exact ending :) Spock does the "Space, the final frontier" monologue after he dies. That's probably where they got that from. I think they were blatantly hinting at Phoenix, but I haven't read Excalibur #71 in...10 years.

Sanis Prent
May 4th, 2003, 12:56:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, same exact ending :) Spock does the "Space, the final frontier" monologue after he dies. That's probably where they got that from. I think they were blatantly hinting at Phoenix, but I haven't read Excalibur #71 in...10 years.

Yes, it is quite a direct redux on Wrath of Khan and I LOVE it.

Leeloo Mina
May 4th, 2003, 01:02:37 AM
I saw it last night, it was amazing.. I cannot <font color=ff00ff>LOLLIPOPS</font>ing wait for the thrid

The x-men cartoon was my favorite thing next to the turtles when I was younger, I always wanted to be rogue ;) I went with some friends that never watched the show so they had no clue about the Phoeinix thing.. I was hoping to actually see her as Phonenix at the end.. I kept going "come on come on.. show her show her.... crap!!" I nearly jumped for joy when I first saw the flames coming into her eyes.. I got a clue when cyclops mentioned the dreams shaking the whole room.. but... I c an't describe what I felt when I actually seen the flames starting to come up around here.. Heh, myh stupid friends "OMG! I CAN'T BELIVE THEY KILLED OFF JEAN!" :rolleyes

I think I'm in love with nightcrawler.. his opening scene was totally awsome.. storm better back off ;)

I'm hoping that they'll somehow work the absorbing Ms Marvel's powers into the next movie.. I was hoping maybe she already has the powers, since Raven took care of her after she left her parents.. but since she and raven dont seem to have any type of pervious relationship, I figure theyt'd work it into the movie diffrently.. if at all :( It really saddened me to see my favorite x-men just being a 'sweet' southern belle and being basicly useless... I want to see her flying around and calling people fathead! :D And where's remy? I want remy :( I saw his name on the screen.. and I got my hopes up that I'd catch a glimps of him =/ I wanted them to play with remy hitting on rogue.. and I really really want to hear him call her cherie :D What girl could refuse that? ;)

Oh. OH YES! LOGAN DRINKS DOCTOR PEPPER... HELL YEAH! :crack

Deathstrike - Adamantium(sp) tears - awsome. I want some.

I've got a few questions..

1. Since when could Prof X freeze everyone in a room? I dont recall seeing this before.. but then again I was never a big fan of the comics, just the TV show.. How the heck did that even work?

2. What happened to toad and sabertooth? Are they gone for good?? They can't be.

If so.. why did poor toad have to die to the line "Do you know.what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightening"?? :(

3. Who was the harry potter blinky kid? I can't place him..?

4. Wtf was that stuff he was using to control the muntants..? I dont remember that. anywhere.. but I'm probaly just forgetting.

My favorite parts where:

Opening part with Nightcrawler/Kurt

Siyren(sp)'s scream.. w00t!

Rogue taking off her glove, about to mess with magneto.. too bad Bobby pulled her back.. I really wanted to see her being a little bitchy.

"So how do you....?
"We're working on it."

MAGNETO'S EXCAPE! That's got to be one of the coolest things I've seen in a movie.. It took me a sec to realize that was the same guard Raven had suduced and drugged in the bathroom

There were some others too but I can't remember them right now..

Ahh.. hands cramping.

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2003, 06:13:38 AM
1. Since when could Prof X freeze everyone in a room? I dont recall seeing this before.. but then again I was never a big fan of the comics, just the TV show.. How the heck did that even work?

2. What happened to toad and sabertooth? Are they gone for good?? They can't be.

If so.. why did poor toad have to die to the line "Do you know.what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightening"??

3. Who was the harry potter blinky kid? I can't place him..?

4. Wtf was that stuff he was using to control the muntants..? I dont remember that. anywhere.. but I'm probaly just forgetting.

1. He has done it in Ultimate X-Men, so I assume he did it in the 616 universe. I'd say he could do it easy. It's no different from reading a mind, except you stop it ;)

2. They both have sequel contracts, and both were to be in X2. But their contracts pays the same amount no matter, and their roles would be small. I'd be suprised if they brought Toad back, but Sabretooth will come back at least for a WOlverine spinoff, IMO.

3. New character I think, like Artie, the tongue kid :)

4. I don't overly remember it either :)

Droo
May 4th, 2003, 08:55:04 AM
O Mister Berardinelli, you betray my trust how!

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/x/x2.html

Usually James and I are in agreement with each other on what's what with regards to movies. This is just not good enough. Fie strumpet, get thee gone!

Gurney Devries
May 4th, 2003, 09:29:31 AM
I just had an interesting thought regarding Rogue and Bobby (spoilered for decency's sake): If Bobby used a condom, they should be A-OK. :)

Oddball
May 4th, 2003, 09:31:05 AM
What about the rest of their bodies? ;)

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2003, 09:36:59 AM
Full-body condom? :lol

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2003, 09:41:39 AM
Like in Naked Gun? :)

Droo
May 4th, 2003, 09:57:18 AM
LOL! I was thinking exactly the same thing! :lol

Gurney Devries
May 4th, 2003, 10:07:16 AM
Originally posted by Oddball
What about the rest of their bodies? ;) All of the important parts are taken care of. Just have rogue wear gloves and you're good to go. :)

I think this thread has just become derailed.

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2003, 10:41:30 AM
But people avoiding spoilers wont know ;)

Dutchy
May 4th, 2003, 01:52:27 PM
$85.9 estimated for the weekend.

These would be the Fri, Sat, Sun grosses:

$31,200,000
$32,150,000
$22,550,000

Jinn Fizz
May 4th, 2003, 02:36:49 PM
AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie series is now the gold standard for comic book superhero movies, methinks. I thought it was just fabulous, and I plan on seeing it again, because there was just so much to see, so much to absorb. Plus it was just so much fun!!!! :crack

Wolverine: He's my fave, and there was no disapointment here. Ooooo, and to even have a moment of fleeting full-frontal nudity...thanks, guy! :lol

Nightcrawler: Awesome character, my favorite of the new ones. Alan Cumming did a brilliant job. I think my favorite moment with him is when he saved Rogue after she got sucked out of the X-Jet. And the opening scene was fabulous.

Magneto: I totally agree with the comments made her earlier, forget LOTR, Magneto is Ian McKellen's shining moment. That was one thing I liked about the movie so much, how they wove the good guys in with the bad guys. Man, I almost wanted to cheer for Magneto, until the moment when he changed the "plans" in the underground Cerebro. Then it was like, NNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Xavier: I adore Patrick Stewart, and he was brilliant here as usual. I especially liked the whole gimmick of him bringing everything to a standstill. It worked especially well in the Oval Office

Jean: Ah, so we are definitely on the march to the Phoenix story. Awesome stuff. Even though I knew she wasn't dead, I still found myself very touched at the scene in the X-Jet when everyone thought she had died, and both Cyclops and Wolverine were falling apart, in their own particular ways.

Mystique: She was even cooler in this one than in the first one. And a nice sight to see that Rebecca Romijn-Stamos got to appear without makeup in that one scene.

Storm: Much better than in the first. Much more sympathetic and likeable.

Iceman: I really liked him a lot. :)

Rogue: I thought she was really cool in this one too, and I also liked the scene where she took her glove off and started walking toward Magneto. >D

Pyro: Wow, the bad seed of the school. Can't wait to see more of him in X3.

Colossus: COOL!!!!!!!!!

Stryker: Evil, evil, evil. Played to perfection by Brian Cox. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Deathstryke: Yes, Darth Maul syndrome, but she was still great. I was amazed, sitting there watching these 2 people whip the crap out of each other, and they weren't able to kill each other...until Wolvie filled her up with adamantium. The clunk Deathstryke made when she hit the bottom of the tank was chilling.

Cyclops: Totally shafted, yes, but I could deal with that. :)

So, overall, I have no complaints at all :). And all I can say is...

Spider-who??? :D

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2003, 03:13:35 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I haven't read throught everyone elses's spoiler text, so I'm sure I'll mention a lot of things that have already been brought up.

I remember making a comment a few years ago, when the first film was ready to open, that I felt X-Men had the most potential of all of the slew of comic book/superhero stories that were slated for translation to film. Maybe I'm biased... I like the themes behind the X-Men far more than say Superman, Batman, Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk, etc. Being as such, my expectations for the first film were fairly high, and I wasn't disappointed. My expectations this time around were even higher. Once again, I wasn't disappointed.

Thoroughly enjoyable film experience. It started fast, slowed just a enough to let the plot catch up to the action, then took off again for the last 45 minutes or so. The story worked, good character development considering the size of the cast (although Cyclops was a non-factor until the final sequences. His biggest part was being distraught over Jean's "death.") The action scenes were highly entertaining.

A few thoughts:

- Some fun cameos. Colossus rulez. Hopefully he'll be a bit more involved in X3, although it's going to be tough with such a large core cast already. Nice nod to Beast (the Dr. Hank McCoy interview), as well as Gambit (Remy Lebleu's name on computer screen in Stryker's office). The Siryn scene was pretty funny.

- Must see more of both Iceman and Rogue in the next film. At the end, they had X-Men suits on, so I'm assuming they will be more involved action-wise in X3. What about the powers that Rogue is supposed to get from Ms. Marvel, though? Or will they just ignore it? Either way... more of both characters is good. More of Pyro, too.

- Once again, Ian McKellan just shines whenever he's on screen. Honestly, I can't think of a better person to play Magneto. He brings so much humanity to the character... he's insidious, and plays the villian part superbly, but you can still feel pity for him.

- What's up with Magneto and Mystique? She was hanging on him during the plane trip to Alkali Lake. Not to mention the later exchange between Wolverine and Magneto when Mystique infiltrated Stryker's compound:
Logan: She's good.
Eric: You have no idea...

Are they gettin' down together on the side, or what?

- Allan Cumming did a great job with Kurt Wagner. His clothing was kind of goofy, but it wasn't distracting or anything. Loved when he saved Rogue.

- I was surprised at how violent it was in spots. Wolverine alone put up a double-digit body count, just at the school. Or the somewhat disturbing visual portrayal of the "lobodamized" Jason Stryker. That's not a complaint... I'm glad it was done that way. Bryan Singer wasn't afraid to flesh out the darker aspects of the X-Men story. That's part of the reason why I liked this film so much better than, say, Spiderman.

- Terrific foreshadowing with wide shot of flooded Alkali Lake valley, Jean's voice-over, and the faint shape of the Phoenix appearing just enough to tease the audience before the cut to the credits.

Great film... improved upon the first, set things up beautifully for the third. I will definately be seeing it a second time in the theatre.

Korge Jazzka
May 4th, 2003, 03:14:59 PM
Yes hopefully this will tailspin those annoying Spidey fanboys I've had to deal with for a year now. I didn't really think Spiderman was that great (above average yes), and X-Men just goes to show how you make superhero movies.

Better than the original Batman even, and thats alot coming from me.

Admiral Lebron
May 4th, 2003, 05:19:50 PM
OMG!!! I LOVED IT!

The opening fight sequence when nightcrawler is rampaging through the white house with Mozart in the backround... it was beautiful.

I missed the gambit cameo... wasn't paying attention I suppose. But I did realize the Beast one. In the next one, I hope they do have Beast and Gambit even as small parts it would be great.

Zeke
May 4th, 2003, 05:22:53 PM
Originally posted by Leeloo Mina
4. Wtf was that stuff he was using to control the muntants..? I dont remember that. anywhere.. but I'm probaly just forgetting

The answer is Stryker's son. His powers were used to control Xavier's mind. They figured out what in his body lets him do that, then strained it from him as a liquid that they could drop onto another mutant's neck and control them. I think they sucked it from his brain...but I don't remember quite. I do remember it's the reason his son is son is so messed up.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2003, 05:29:46 PM
Zeke - that makes sense. I didn't think of it like that, but yeah you're probably right. :)

Droo
May 4th, 2003, 05:59:27 PM
Yep, that's right. Stryker himself says in the film that one of Jason's attributes is found in the mind-controlling liquid secreted from his brain - note the pipes in the back of his head and the tanks into which said fluid is collected. The Jason scenes freaked me out indeed, I felt sorry for him, when he realises he has been defeated and can't carry out his father's wishes the girl cries out that "He's going to be so dissappointed!" indicating that he only wished to make his father proud which Stryker uses to his advantage. Very upsetting and disturbing indeed. Singer has dealt with themes and messages in this movie marvellously, saw it a second time today and I'll probably make a review tomorrow.

Jinn Fizz
May 4th, 2003, 07:05:21 PM
Originally posted by Korge Jazzka
Yes hopefully this will tailspin those annoying Spidey fanboys I've had to deal with for a year now. I didn't really think Spiderman was that great (above average yes), and X-Men just goes to show how you make superhero movies.

Better than the original Batman even, and thats alot coming from me.

I agree completely, Korge...I did enjoy Spider-Man quite a bit, but it wasn't nearly as good as other people held (and still hold it) up to be. Repeat viewings of it on DVD only prove this. My main complaint with it was the Green Goblin, he was just too cartoony, y'know?

But X2, on the other hand, had a superb villain in Stryker. What he was willing to do to his son just to seek his revenge on mutants was horrifying. See, villains in comic book movies don't all have to be running around cackling with glee at every opportunity. :p

Some other stuff in the movie I really liked:

The scene with Wolverine and Xavier in Cerebro early in the movie, when Xavier chides Wolvie for his smoking. How Wolvie puts out the cigar in his hand is especially amusing. :smokin

Bobby cooling off Wolverine's Dr. Pepper. (Although you couldn't miss the product placement in the movie, phooey. But at least it wasn't totally in your face like it is in other movies.)

Wolvie getting plugged right in the forehead on the porch of Bobby's home, and Pyro's reaction to it. Yeeha!

Wolvie versus the cat at Bobby's home. :)

Artie with his forked tongue. :)

Remote boy, changing the channels on the TV simply by blinking. :D

The Beast's cameo, extremely clever! I missed Remy's "cameo," I'll have to look for it the next time I see the movie (because I WILL be seeing it again, y'know ;)).

Oh, and as for the whole Wrath of Khan feel in the final scene...hey, if you're gonna steal from somebody, steal from the best! :) Personally, I thought it worked beautifully.

Jedi Master Carr
May 4th, 2003, 07:07:57 PM
Though did they steal from Star Trek? Jean Gray did die in the comics and was reborn so I don't think they really stole anything.

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2003, 07:29:31 PM
I think they mean style, but yes, if they were going to do possibly the biggest storyline the X-Men ever did, they had to end like Wrath of Kahn. Heck, maybe STAR TREK stole from X-MEN! ANd in exchange, we took their captain! :)

Although you couldn't miss the product placement in the movie, phooey
Someone in this thread did ;)

Jinn Fizz
May 4th, 2003, 07:55:02 PM
We have promos running over here in the States for tie-ins with Baskin Robbins ice cream, Dr. Pepper, and Mazda. So there was Bobby eating the ice cream, Wolverine drinking the Dr. Pepper, and Cyclops's car was the spiffy Mazda. Dunno if any of that is going on in England, though, Reaper...is there any kind of product tie-in going on at all? Just wondering.

Oh yes, and by "stealing" from Star Trek, all I mean is the style, not the essence. :)

Boo-yeah, and they did steal a Trek captain too! Anybody else here wondering if Patrick Stewart ever slipped and referred to William Stryker as William Riker? :lol

Figrin D'an
May 4th, 2003, 08:10:51 PM
I didn't mind the "borrowing" of the Wrath of Kahn style of ending at all... it worked extremely well in this instance, just as it did for Spock's death.

Product tie-ins are always rather annoying, but I've seen far worse offenses in other films. At least in this case, the products had a bit of plot tie-in, rather than just being blatant display pieces (ie. Bobby cools down the soda for Logan, the car they take belonged to Scott and Logan "steals" it just like the motorcycle.)

Zeke
May 4th, 2003, 08:19:59 PM
I didn't think anything of the product tie-in stuff. It was such a minor detail compared to all the other great stuff that I didn't care.

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2003, 08:23:47 PM
No real tie ins here, aside from Frosties. Let me put it another way. You only notice the placement because you're looking for it. Until you said, I didnt realise Dr Pepper has anything to do with X2 :)

Jinn Fizz
May 4th, 2003, 08:49:24 PM
I don't have a major quibble with the product placement at all, because yes, at least they served a purpose. They weren't gratuitous at all, unlike so many other movies where it's like, "HERE, BUY THIS, BECAUSE IT WAS IN THIS MOVIE!" I wasn't picking on it at all, just saying I noticed it.

Actually, the Dr. Pepper commercial with the X-Men tie-in is pretty darn funny...guy dressed like Wolverine trying to serve in a volleyball game. And of course, he pops the ball with his claws. :lol

Admiral Lebron
May 4th, 2003, 08:50:41 PM
I have realized my favorite scene is the beginning. Dies Irae and Nightcrawler v. the secret service. It is truly a classic scene.

My second favorite scene was Johnny against the Coppers.

Jinn Fizz
May 4th, 2003, 08:55:02 PM
I had been particularly looking forward to seeing how Magneto broke out of his plastic prison, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. :)

Admiral Lebron
May 4th, 2003, 09:12:16 PM
That was a very violent scene...

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 4th, 2003, 09:27:38 PM
one thing I was kinda annoyed with, why did Bobby's brother call the cops on him? was there any ties to the comics that was trying to refer to? kinda made me wonder if the brother is a mutant too, would fit, makes sense that both kids would be....

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2003, 09:35:55 PM
My favorite scene thus far is when Nightcrawler and Storm go into Cerebro to rescue Xavier, and Kurt is reciting the 23rd Psalm (an excerpt, not the entire thing) in his accent. It was just...awesome.

Also when he grabbed Rogue out of the air and stuck her back in the X-Jet. It was...simply breathtaking.

I'm hoping to drag my roommate to it tomorrow night. She's seen Daredevil three times now - is absolutly in love with *that* movie, so she should enjoy X-Men. :D

Gurney Devries
May 4th, 2003, 10:07:17 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to comment on: I actually found Wolverine's reaction to Jean's "death" more touching than Scott's. Cyclops was doing this whole anguish "NOOO!" thing, while Logan just kind of had a blank look on his face that just kind of said "My god, she's really gone." I found it more... human. Very well done.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 4th, 2003, 10:10:24 PM
yeah, Logan's reaction was much better, Cyclops was just whiney, honestly I always wanted Logan and Jean to get together, never liked Scott, he just seems like a one dimensional character....with the new cartoon one, they don't seem to play the Logan and Jean angle at all though which bugs me

Nathanial K'cansce
May 4th, 2003, 10:43:28 PM
Ever since we sang Dies Irae in my senior year of chior at highschool, it's been one of my favorites. Loved it. ^_^

All in all, great film.

Leeloo Mina
May 4th, 2003, 10:47:42 PM
I never liked Cyclops.. and I agree his whiny reaction reminded of Luke.. ^_^;

I also thought that logan and jean fit together better.. but people irl and in movies never seem to go for the people I think would suit them.. maybe I'm just wrong about those kind of things :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 4th, 2003, 11:20:39 PM
Logan and Jean did get together in Ultimates not sure what the situation is now.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2003, 11:21:45 PM
In the new cartoon they made Logan older than both Jean and Scott. Makes for illegalness in their relationship. :-p

I loved the reactions...I wanted to cry, it was heartbreaking. Both of them were good, but you have to realize that Cyclops has no eyes so if he tried the "blank look" thing, it would never work. You'd just think he wasn't reacting at all. Both together worked really well. :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 4th, 2003, 11:24:49 PM
yeah but Logan is older in the movies and comics too.....I wanna see em hook up!

Gurney Devries
May 4th, 2003, 11:32:05 PM
Originally posted by Sorreessa Tarrineezi
yeah but Logan is older in the movies and comics too.....I wanna see em hook up! I believe she's talking about X-Men Evolutions, where Scott and Jean are teenagers in High School. :p

And I don't think Scott's reaction has anything to do with his visor and everything to do with the fact that he's a pansy. :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 4th, 2003, 11:40:22 PM
yeah, I know, that's what I was originally refering to but with the Evolution cartoon, they made Jean too young from him which bugged me.....

:lol he's just such a lifeless character too, I was always wishing him death in the older cartoon....it's like he does his damnedest to not show any emotion

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2003, 11:53:27 PM
What's your point? :mneh

Gurney Devries
May 5th, 2003, 12:31:54 AM
Oh, and... I didn't notice any of the product placement. I thought Wolverine just got a generic soda, I can't recognize every car in existence on sight and the ice cream cone just looked like an ice cream cone.

I'd say that I must be oblivious, but I picked up on all the little nuances like Remy's name on the computer screen, Beast on the TV, etc.

Sometimes, it's not just product placement, either: You read a book and they talk about going to McDonald's, getting a can of Coke, what have you. It's just subtle touches of realism, in my opinion. It becomes product placement when it's in your face "DRINK COCA COLA!" type of stuff. Like, there's no good reason for it to be there.

Leeloo Mina
May 5th, 2003, 01:22:57 AM
The only one I noticed was the Dr Pepper.. and that's just because I'm a crazy dr pepper fan. ;)

I saw a x-men commercial for the rx-8.. but when I was watchiong the movie I didn't remember it.. *shrugs* they have to use some car.

At least it wasn't right there, HUGE on the the screen for like three seconds, like in Spiderman. :)

Product placements dont usually bother me, if I notice them.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 5th, 2003, 01:48:20 AM
I didn't think it was product placement per se either. I thought it was a nice touch of..OMG they live in the real world like we do. Iceman eating ice cream tickled my funny bone though. I had to look carefully to identify the soda. And the beer, to, I suppose.

And it wasn't like Wolverine is advertising cigars, even if Taylor *can* identify the brand. :mneh

Sejah Haversh
May 5th, 2003, 01:58:51 AM
Nah, had they really been going for product placement, they would have had the bog Tommy Hilfiger logo pasted on the butt of Colossus' boxers.

And Pyro's lighter could have actually said 'Zippo' on it. If you'll notice, it had no text at all.

Leeloo Mina
May 5th, 2003, 03:29:11 AM
Pyro's lighter could have actually said 'Zippo' on it. If you'll notice, it had no text at all.

It was pretty cool though, too bad it wasn't a product placement now I have wonder where I could get one like it.. :)

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 05:38:31 AM
why did Bobby's brother call the cops on him?
He is a mutant hater, check his posters

I actually found Wolverine's reaction to Jean's "death" more touching than Scott's. Cyclops was doing this whole anguish "NOOO!" thing, while Logan just kind of had a blank look on his face that just kind of said "My god, she's really gone." I found it more... human. Very well done.
I liked both, they were the polar opposites

Cyclops was just whiney, honestly I always wanted Logan and Jean to get together, never liked Scott, he just seems like a one dimensional character
I always found him to be a great character. His problem was always the people loved the Wolverine attitude, and expected Cyclops to be the same. Instead we got a professional, a LEADER. And that's why he should be in the movies more.

Also, arcs such as Dark Phoenix or the Psylocke one show to me he can be just as 3D as Wolverine, if not more (The guy appears everywhere just because he is "sooo kewl"

and I agree his whiny reaction reminded of Luke..
If you ever get married Leeloo, tell me. THen I'll come round and kill him, in front of your eyes. We'll see who's whiny then. If I remember right, I went "a bit whiny" when my grandma died, and if I'm honest I'll probably be like that whe my dog dies. Going to deny it's a natural reaction?

Logan and Jean did get together in Ultimates not sure what the situation is now.
Well, that ended when Logan admitted in bed he was sent to kill Xavier. She dumped him, got with Scott. More recently, Wolverine dropped Scott down a ravine in the Savage Lands, Cyclops got back, blasted him FULL FORCE with his visor, and told WOlverine he was off the team :D

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 06:00:37 AM
In the new cartoon they made Logan older than both Jean and Scott. Makes for illegalness in their relationship. :-p
He was born in the 19th century you know ;)

he's just such a lifeless character too, I was always wishing him death in the older cartoon....it's like he does his damnedest to not show any emotion
All his life he has had to learn control. IMO, he struggles to do anything but.

I think that was my favourite scene in the whole movie, along with the final Scott/James one. The way how he starts getting more desperate, as Kurt says he can't help. The way Storm is watching her old friend. The way James is holding back Scott, while Nightcrawler does a prayer. And then the final part where Jean is talking through Xavier (Although I was worried they were about to kiss:)). I found that scene to be the best. Heck, some people at Super hero hype have admitted crying through that scene!

My hope is that the Jean/Scott/James love triange goes the way it has in the comics. Or as James himself said in the comics, "She's happy. I love her enough to want her to stay that way". Scott and James now are qute close. Not exactly best of friends, but more of a deep respect. And I want to see that. Especially, I want to see the pair taking on Sentinels alone :D

I dont think anyone has criticised his acting btw, but I must give one little fact. During filming, he had to GUESS peoples expressions. The visor gave him brely any visibility, if any. You tell De Niro he has to act without seeing other people are looking or how they are looking, and he'll tell you where to stick it. Kudos to Marsden, IMO! :)

And btw, yes, I keep calling Wolverine James. Force of habit, I apologise :)

Darth Viscera
May 5th, 2003, 06:11:44 AM
X-Men definitely reached its pinnacle back when Jim Lee was doing the art. That guy was outstanding. I still love the covers of X-Men #1 from Oct 1991.

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 06:17:09 AM
I bought the TPBs of that. Very nice art. And then they went to Mardis Gras with Ghost Rider! :D

jjwr
May 5th, 2003, 06:35:44 AM
ReaperFett, looks like I've found another Cyclops fan :)

Please don't get me going on Cyclops vs Wolverine, its not a pretty sight :)

Off and on for a while now theres been a Wolverine & Jean thing, the first time I recall seeing it was during XTinction Agenda, there may have been some other subleties before that. That may have been the first of it just because there may not have been time before that.

Lets see, Uncanny X-Men 1--93(No Wolverine)
Uncanny X-Men 94-136 - Wolverine was around but as a new character I don't think they went that way.
Uncanny X-Men 138-201 - Jean is supposed to be dead.
Uncanny X-Men 202-269(X-Factor 1-60) Jean is with X-Factor and has little to no dealings with Wolverine.

So seeing as Xtinction happened around X-Men 270-2 X-Factor 61-3 then that may have been the first go, I'll have to dig it out and look again :)

But anyways, Wolverine has tried in the comics and always been pushed away, the most recent was Uncann 394 where they had a big cover shot of them kissing, they were trapped in a portal or other dimension or something and thought they were going to die so Wolverine says screw it and goes for it.

There have been some interesting developments with Cyclops & Jean lately though, since Cyclops "death" the two of them had had some issues and things weren't quite right between them, thats a continuing storyline. When Cyclops came back from that ordeal him and Wolverine had a better understanding of each other.

In Ultimate X-Men is where Jean & Wolvie actually hooked up, it was in the first story-arc, it ended, Wolvie got pissed and him and Cyclops got in a fight over it which got them sent on a mission together which is where Woliverine tried to kill Cyclops by leaving him for dead.

Jinn Fizz
May 5th, 2003, 10:18:47 AM
I've actually been sick since Saturday (stoopid cold :headbash), so I called in sick to work today, and got a nice reward for doing so...Hugh Jackman was kinda making the talk show rounds today. :love

On Good Morning America, he told a pretty darn funny story. In the flashback scene where Wolverine is running down the tunnel at Alkali Lake, Hugh was actually nekkid as a jaybird, since he knew everyone on the crew and trusted them. Plus he'd been assured that he was backlit properly so that certain things would still be left to the imagination ;).

So here came the first take, and he goes running down the hallway. He does the primal scream thing, the camera pans him as he runs past it, and what's waiting at the end of the tunnel? Oh, about 30 women, including James Marsden's mother, who happened to be visiting the set that day. And they were all waving five dollar bills at him. :lol

He said that was one of those times when he realized that claws maybe weren't such a good thing, because your first instinct in a situation like that is to cover yourself up. If he'd done that, he just might've hurt himself. :lol

They also showed a clip of him singing "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" from "Oklahoma!," and my, does he ever have a nice, nice singing voice. :)

Hey, has anyone else heard about Halle Berry not coming back for X3? I read online last night that she's not signed for a third one, plus she's not really doing any publicity for X2. I guess the buzz is that she was unhappy because she didn't have enough to do...but heck, Storm is the one who ultimately saved the day in Stryker's Cerebro, because without her, Professor X still would have killed all the non-mutants on the planet. Plus she helped to bring Nightcrawler back, and then there was the whole scene where she created the tornadoes. Sheesh, Storm had plenty to do! Hopefully Ms. Berry's Oscar win hasn't gone to her head...she was especially good as Storm in this one, and I'd hate to see her go.

Droo
May 5th, 2003, 10:26:51 AM
I thought James Marsden did a fantastic job with Scott. Much stronger performance than in the first film but I think that's down to getting used to the acting-without-relying-on-his-eyes problem. His scene in the jet, as Fett has described above - whilst annoyingly and confusingly refering to Logan/Wolverine as James, the swine! - was very moving and powerful, when his lip trembles in the White House when Xavier talks of the "casualties" of the conflict, that was brilliant.

I really want to see them flesh out this character now, perhaps Singer was waiting for Jean's death to alllow the character to step forward and really show his leadership qualities without Jean by his side. They really need to get that leadership thing going and spend more time on him, would be a shame to have one of the main characters go to waste like that especially now that Marsden is really nailing the acting.

Side note: I can't wait to see Iceman and Pyro go at it in X3, it's just got to happen. :D

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 10:30:35 AM
as Fett has described above - whilst annoyingly and confusingly refering to Logan/Wolverine as James, the swine!
Just because I know more than you do ;)

Gurney Devries
May 5th, 2003, 10:46:21 AM
Originally posted by Dru
Side note: I can't wait to see Iceman and Pyro go at it in X3, it's just got to happen. :D That sounds incredibly lame. I really hope that the director/scriptwriter have enough common sense to kill that idea before it ever sees the light of day.

Droo
May 5th, 2003, 10:50:51 AM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
That sounds incredibly lame. I really hope that the director/scriptwriter have enough common sense to kill that idea before it ever sees the light of day.

I don't think it sounds lame at all. But what do I know? Opinions are like buttholes.

Jinn Fizz
May 5th, 2003, 10:58:43 AM
Um...pardon me for saying this, but...

I like the idea of a Pyro vs. Iceman duel.:wave

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 10:59:32 AM
I think that fight is going to happen. Why else would they have fire and ice? And I think it could be a great scene :)

Inu
May 5th, 2003, 11:28:42 AM
Sure its not the most original thing, seeing how Ice/water vs fire is one of the oldest battle running in fiction today, but if done right it shouldn't be half so bad as you make it out to be.

jjwr
May 5th, 2003, 11:50:42 AM
The Iceman vs Pyro is such a obvious setup after X2. Else why pull Iceman into the limelight(though still a minor part) and then have the third part of their circle of friends(with Rogue) leave to join Magneto?

Gurney Devries
May 5th, 2003, 11:55:01 AM
Um, because Pyro was one of the bad guys in the comics and they're trying to follow continuity?

Having an "OMG, Ice vs Fire" fight trivializes the fact that their mutant powers are genetic mutations and simplifies it down to the level of "Hurr, these are opposing elemental superpowers. No one will ever see THAT coming."

The X-Men is the only movie franchise that tries to make superpowers somewhat mature and rational. Abritarily throwing Pyro against Iceman is just tossing all of that out the window for the sake of a predictable clash that belongs with the likes of Captain Planet and the Power Rangers.

It could be done well, I suppose. But I'll be sorely disappointed if the scriptwriters couldn't think of anything better to do.

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 12:04:24 PM
I like the idea of the fight too, I don't it would just be great I think. Also what is weird is the two have never fought in the comics, but that is because they never faced each other. When Pryo was a member of the Brotherhood Iceman wasn't part of the X-Men and by the time Iceman came back to the X-Men, Pyro was no longer part of the Brotherhood he was dead, killed by the legacy virus Not sure if they have duked it out in the ultimates or not. Still I think Iceman would triumph, it is not like he is fighting the Human Torch, who probably kill him since he can actually create Fire, Pyro can only manipulate it.

Gurney Devries
May 5th, 2003, 12:06:30 PM
lso what is weird is the two have never fought in the comicsExactly. Because even in a world where people go around dressed in blue-and-yellow leotards, that's just too goofy.

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 12:33:11 PM
I don't think that was the reason as I said Iceman wasn't part of the X-Men when Pyro came around Iceman left (he got mad at Cyclops or something) and never came back. Now they may have them fight it out in the Ultimate version but I don't know.

Gurney Devries
May 5th, 2003, 12:48:01 PM
That's the storyline explanation, yes. But they could have easily had it happen, if they wanted to. They didn't.

Do you honestly think the people that write the comics are so incompetant that they couldn't figure out a way for these two to have a fight if they wanted them to?

Even if they HAD fought in the comics... the movies seem to be trying to give the comics a bit more of a serious, believable tone (eg, ditching the costumes in favor of something a little more real-world).

I'll survive if they do have a fight in the next movie, but I'll be disappointed.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 5th, 2003, 01:11:10 PM
:D

Jinn I'm jealous I want to hear Hugh telling that story! :cry

Viewing two will be tonight, weather permitting. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 01:13:30 PM
Claremont was the running the show then so I don't want he thought, I think he didn't like Iceman but I could be wrong about that. To me it is not ridiculous it would be worse if Iceman had thought the Human Torch now that would be a one sided fight that would be a joke (to me the Human Torch is one of the most powerful characters in the comics). Also really I would like to see Iceman take him down more because there seemed to be a lot of hostility between them by the end and I think it would be cool to see them battle it out.

Droo
May 5th, 2003, 01:30:46 PM
Anyway, is there anything in the comics about a "Project Wide Awake" or "Operation Wide Awake"? Just something I saw on Stryker's computer screen.

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 01:48:39 PM
I think that is the name of the Senitle Program at least I think it was. Not sure if that is a possible plot for X3 or just an easter egg. Also does anybody know if Sebastian Shaw makes into the movie? I was reading the novel and they had him arguing with Hank McCoy (aka The Beast) in that TV interview, I can't recall if the movie showed anybody else.

Leeloo Mina
May 5th, 2003, 02:00:13 PM
Someone mentioned to me that they had heard his name mentioned on the TV, but myself, I missed the whole Hank interview.. I heard his name but didnt look at the TV and it just didn't hit me who it was untill the guard was getting his butt pumped full of iron.

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 02:01:18 PM
Dru, Project Wideawake is Sentinels

And Carr, he is in the credits, so I think he's as he is in the novel.

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 02:21:03 PM
Next time I go to see it I will have to look at the TV screen better. isn't Shaw a mutant? I thought he was I could be wrong but if he was why was he arguging against mutants.

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 03:04:04 PM
Yeah, absorbtion. Hellfire Club

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 03:33:57 PM
I wonder then what was his motivation for being for Mutant registration act?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 5th, 2003, 03:38:03 PM
Maybe he's in denial. :p

ReaperFett
May 5th, 2003, 03:51:32 PM
Maybe that way they can find their new black queen :)

Jinn Fizz
May 5th, 2003, 04:09:40 PM
hehehehe...

What is your X-Men mutation?

http://www.gorskys.com.au/active/x-men-mutation.php

Mine is:

Your X-Men Genetic Mutation is...
Techno-fetishism - Ability to have a "utility" belt full of gadgets you have to constantly apologise for.

:lol :lol

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 5th, 2003, 04:36:31 PM
Brittneyspears Syndrome - Genetic abnormality that allows sufferer to listen to an entire Brittney Spears album without shooting anyone.

Zeke
May 5th, 2003, 05:26:06 PM

Sickieism - Ability to fall ill on any given sunny day.

Admiral Lebron
May 5th, 2003, 05:26:11 PM
Wolverineism - Ability to improve sales by a mere guest appearance.

Word.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 5th, 2003, 05:54:23 PM
Calculism - Power over pocket calculators.

o_O What the-?

Admiral Lebron
May 5th, 2003, 06:09:21 PM
Ha.

Jedi Master Carr
May 5th, 2003, 06:16:48 PM
They list mine as Keyism what that is I have no idea.

Rognan Dar
May 5th, 2003, 07:37:15 PM
Russianpresidentism - The ability to sleep through any type of noise or circumstance.

That was weird. I did it once and I got something that said I had the power to choose my breast size, or something like that, and I was like, did I do that right. I did it again and I got something else. :\

Sejah Haversh
May 6th, 2003, 12:12:21 AM
For me: Commerialsim - Ability to sit through an entire episode of 'World's Funniest Ads' without damaging your brain cells. (Yes, I do posess this power)

For Sejah: X-Filesism - Ability to push a good idea too far. (You know, the whole thing about only using one light bulb for the whole series really was a bit annoying)

For J'ktal: Americanism - Inability to walk out of your house without a hand gun. (Strangely, he never goes anywhere without a weapon...)

For Gibbon Meffoon: Itsasonyism - Power to make sense of weird TV commercials (Or at least hate them. I mean, back in his day...)

Leeloo Mina
May 6th, 2003, 01:53:01 AM
Random Mesmerism - Ability to randomly recall, or not recall, anything. maybe it happened to you, maybe it didn't - but you remember it!

:D

Darth Viscera
May 6th, 2003, 04:53:20 AM
Racism - Ability to predict which horse will win the 5th at Flemington. Usually fatal, as a bookmaker will take out a contract on your life.

Wow. This genetic mutation is infuriatingly nonsensical. What does racism have to do with a horse? What 5th? Is Flemington a town that has an overwhelmingly minority population? What do bookmakers (I presume they're talking about authors or publishers) have to do with anything that's fatal, or bounty hunting?

Someone please DoS attack that site before its asinine lameness spreads.

jjwr
May 6th, 2003, 06:16:40 AM
Like Sejah mine is also Commerialsim

Mu Satach
May 6th, 2003, 10:25:40 AM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Racism - Ability to predict which horse will win the 5th at Flemington. Usually fatal, as a bookmaker will take out a contract on your life.

Wow. This genetic mutation is infuriatingly nonsensical. What does racism have to do with a horse? What 5th? Is Flemington a town that has an overwhelmingly minority population? What do bookmakers (I presume they're talking about authors or publishers) have to do with anything that's fatal, or bounty hunting?

You really have no idea about bookies? Horseracing? Betting? and such??? And I thought I led a sheltered life. ;)

Flemington is the horseracing town in Austrailia. (http://www.vrc.net.au/fs_secondary.asp?load=hm_av_history.asp)
Home of the Melbourne Cup.

To learn more about the wonderful world of the Melbourne Cup and one of Autrailia's greatest horses one might rent Phar Lap (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086102). (ok, and for the purists out there, yes I know Phar Lap really came from New Zealand. ;))

To learn more about the world of bookies, con-men and a bit of the horseracing lingo one might rent The Sting (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0070735).

And if you ever really get into it you can also read up on one of the greatest horses ever, Man O'War (http://horseracing.about.com/library/weekly/aa110197.htm).

I was a bookie in a previous life. :smokin

Darth Viscera
May 6th, 2003, 10:32:23 AM
Yes, but what does that all have to do with racism?

Mu Satach
May 6th, 2003, 10:33:41 AM
they are being silly...

Lilaena De'Ville
May 6th, 2003, 12:30:17 PM
*smacks Viscera with a wifflebat* shush you!

Sanis Prent
May 6th, 2003, 12:59:24 PM
Antijesusism - Ability to turn wine into water

Yay, I'm the Antichrist :(

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 03:17:35 PM
You know, it's going to be interesting to see if they can get everyone back for the third movie. Half the cast (Jackman, Berry, Stewart, and I think Mardsen) aren't signed for a 3rd one. Neither is Singer, though he wants to do it.

Here's hoping Marvel and 20th Century Fox is willing to shell out the bucks to get 'em.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2003, 03:20:13 PM
Gore-Bush Syndrome - Heightened sense of difference. The smallest, most inconsequential disagreement will cause the sufferer to spend millions on smear advertising.

Figrin D'an
May 6th, 2003, 03:31:59 PM
If X2 is as successful as it appears that it will be, they'll get the necessary deals done. Although, frankly, if Halle Berry thinks that Storm's part wasn't big enough and wants an insane amount of money for X3, she can take a hike. She's not as important as Jackman and Stewart, and if X3 will indeed focus on the Phoenix saga, Marsden will be more important as well.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 6th, 2003, 03:58:58 PM
Originally posted by Taylor Millard
You know, it's going to be interesting to see if they can get everyone back for the third movie. Half the cast (Jackman, Berry, Stewart, and I think Mardsen) aren't signed for a 3rd one. Neither is Singer, though he wants to do it.

Here's hoping Marvel and 20th Century Fox is willing to shell out the bucks to get 'em.

meh, they have to get them, ppl won't go to see X3 for the teens (Rogue, Iceman, etc) The movies revolve around the main characters so they have to have them......

Admiral Lebron
May 6th, 2003, 06:04:50 PM
Halle Berry strikes me as the type of women who would do X3.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2003, 08:39:33 PM
I don't know. There have been rumors though they might do a Storm movie there they could pay her the money.

Figrin D'an
May 6th, 2003, 08:45:45 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I don't know. There have been rumors though they might do a Storm movie there they could pay her the money.

>_<

Blarg... I hope not.

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 08:51:00 PM
Well it depends on the story and all.

The ONLY X-Man I can see carrying his own movie is, well, Wolverine. Unless they did a Cable movie.

I'd pay t'see that.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2003, 08:54:37 PM
Cable would be cool. I don't know where the Storm rumors came from. Wolverine could easily get his own movie though. What villains left do you guys want to see in a future X-Man movie? I want to see Apocolpse he is the evilest X-man villain and most powerful. I would leave him out of X-3 because I think Magneto will still be around. So maybe X-4.

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 08:56:39 PM
I would honestly only make 3 X-Men movies.

However, were I to make more, I'd use the storylines like 'Fatal Attractions', X-Cutioner's Song, and make them movies.

There're more story lines but mind = blank right now.

Apocalypse would be very cool.

Kinda like Rhas Al Ghul in a Batman Film.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2003, 08:59:56 PM
I think Singer will only make 3, I think Fox will try to make more if they keep making money. I am wondering if the Sentiles will show up at all. I have a feeling they might be too tough to do for a film.

Admiral Lebron
May 6th, 2003, 09:06:02 PM
They would rock.

Figrin D'an
May 6th, 2003, 09:12:00 PM
I have a feeling that beyond X3, there might be problems getting the principles to sign to do more. Then, they'd have to get some new actors... which, in most cases, is a recipe for failure.

Taylor Millard
May 6th, 2003, 09:13:13 PM
I say do 3 and then that's it...4 max, but I think 3's a good number

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2003, 10:05:05 PM
Yeah that would be hard but they could do a new cast I guess. What I would like to see is a second triolgy and in this one Magneto is scrapped for Apocolpse. You might have to have a new cast but I go see it just to see Apocolpse.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2003, 03:29:55 AM
I'd make as many films as are plausable. There are plenty of directions and spinoffs to go without it being unoriginal. It isnt something where there is one main character. You could do a story focusing on any one of dozens of plots or characters.

jjwr
May 7th, 2003, 06:26:54 AM
As a few have said the problem with going past 3 movies is getting all of the main characters to sign up.

The best option would be for 3 to be the big climax of the current characters/arc. X-Men vs Magneto for the last time and it would all revolve around Phoenix.

Storm could easily be dropped for #3 and given expanding roles to Nightcrawler, Iceman and Rogue. Huge battle, maybe even kill Magneto at the end and call it a day.

Now X-Men 4, this is where they could get creative, pull the brief cameo angle and play up the other characters. There are way too many X-Men to be worried about losing a few due to the actors not wanting to come back. Get Patrick Stewart on for a few scenes, maybe same goes for Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc. Cameo's only.

Let the new team stand on its own, Iceman, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Collossus, Shadowcat. They've touched on all these characters, bring them to the forefront and let them shine.

Leeloo Mina
May 7th, 2003, 06:29:19 AM
I watched an interview with Halle Berry, and she said that she didn't think storm fought enough in this movie.

It was also her that made them give Storm the stupid haircut.. =/

Taylor Millard
May 7th, 2003, 07:55:01 AM
Originally posted by jjwr
Let the new team stand on its own, Iceman, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Collossus, Shadowcat. They've touched on all these characters, bring them to the forefront and let them shine.

True...BUT you need atleast one of these two in a film:

Cyclops or Wolverine.

Both are constants in the X-Men with Cyke being the constant. I would atleast keep one of the two in a future film.

But who knows, the cast could shock us all and be around for 6 films.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2003, 08:09:03 AM
A gripe of mine now, noticed on the SHH boards, was Singers constant insistance on Cyclops being WRONG.

Let's look at some highlights from the last two films shall we?

"I think Magneto's behind it"

"I'm going to blast the door" (Dark Cerebro)

"Storm fry him"

"I'm going to take a shot"

"He'll ruin the mission" (Dont know the quote, but it's about taking JAMES to Liberty Island)

Now, being wrong occasionally, fine. But does he have to be made to look like a complete idiot? Jeez, even in the novel they changed the Dark Cerebro scene so a student told him to blast it and HE said he couldn't. Just once, couldn't we see the leader of the X-Men be.....leaderly?

Oriadin
May 7th, 2003, 08:09:32 AM
Ive never read the comics, but I used to watch the cartoon on the TV. Wolverine is by far my favorite character and an Xmen film without him just wouldnt be the same. Id go to see it if Rogue was in it though cos shes nice :D

I think there are enough characters to concentrate on to keep the Xmen films going for years, but your going to lose interest if the favorites arent there.

jjwr
May 7th, 2003, 08:29:40 AM
I agree Cyclops should be there, he should always be there but I could also see them doing it without him.

Good points Reaper, their portrayal of Cyclops isn't exactly my favorite. On many occasions in the comics Wolverine has backed off in favor of Cyke as he's the obvious leader of the team and knows what he's doing.

His best moment was in the first one when Prof X was out of it and Cyclops had his little monologue, great moment but unfortunetly they ruined it with all the jokes at his expense at the end.

Cyclops to his full potential could be awesome on the screen, blasting Sentinels out of the sky, etc. Give the guy his due, he's the one constant in the Marvel Mutant World.

Luckily the comic has more than given him his due but sadly the movie gives the general public a rather poor view of him.

As for Wolverine, he's fun and done well in the movies but he doesn't need to be in the next one. The movies have followed the comics and made Wolverine the main character. Sadly they seem to forget at times that the title of the movie is X-Men and not Wolverine. Wolverine is a close combat fighter with healing powers, great fighter yes but with the powers some of these mutants have he should not be stealing the show.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2003, 08:39:05 AM
I liked the Wolverine jokes to/about Cyclops, they worked for me.

I mean, the perfect scene in X3 has to be Wolverine and Cyclops against Sentinels :D

Ryla Relvinian
May 7th, 2003, 09:43:01 AM
Yeah, the play between Wolvie and One-eye was great, really funny, althought he "Prove it!" "You're a dick" scene from the first one was great too.

I still have issues with Halle as storm, even from the start. I always pictured... Iman or something, you know, someone statuesque, and just intense features, very beautiful, but TALL!!! for crying in the beer!

Charley
May 7th, 2003, 10:08:46 AM
Iman would've been PERFECT for Storm. Really.

And :lol I hate me some Cyclops. So much Cyclops do I hate. He really should jump into battle with a cardigan tied over his shoulders and a tennis racquet in hand.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2003, 11:57:08 AM
I am not a big Cyke fan either, but I do see him as important, if they make 4 I keep him him especially if they were battling Apocolpse they would need him there.

Mu Satach
May 7th, 2003, 12:25:21 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
I mean, the perfect scene in X3 has to be Wolverine and Cyclops against Sentinels :D

OOOOOooooooooo....

You just sent a chill of excitement up my spine.

Figrin D'an
May 7th, 2003, 12:51:27 PM
You never know... maybe Singer has a plan regarding Cyclops being wrong and joked about constantly... perhaps the whole point is that he needs to "come of age" as a leader, and that he finally does that in X3. Yeah, maybe it doesn't exactly jive with the comics, but considering what Singer has done so far in the first two films, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and just wait and see what happens.

Jinn Fizz
May 7th, 2003, 12:54:59 PM
Wow, interesting to see that other people have mentioned Iman as a potential Storm...she's the first person I thought of. Not only tall and beautiful, but she also comes complete with that lovely Somali accent. I think she would be great :).

Rognan Dar
May 7th, 2003, 01:04:58 PM
Maybe the reason Cyclops isn't that great a leader was because of Jean being right at his side. And now that she is gone (to them) he will pick it up.

And I have a thing that is bugging me. Isn't mystic(sp?) Nightcrawlers mother? I watched the cartoon and she had two sons. One being human and the other was Nightcrawler. And that Sabertooth was the dad. Am I correct or have just lost it?

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2003, 01:13:35 PM
Close. Sabretooth had a kid with Mystique, but not Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler is Mystique and Count Wagner's son.

Oh, and they adopted Rogue, but that one wont be happening in the movies I suspect :)

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2003, 02:24:37 PM
From a recent interview with Mystique herself, Rebecca Romijn Stamos:

Meanwhile it's appropriate that you and Alan got along so well, since Mystique is Nightcrawler's mother in the comic books...
We're hoping that in ''X3'' there'll be a flashback of Mystique nursing a little Nightcrawler -- this baby with Alan's face on it. He'll have little sharp teeth, and I'll be like, ''Ow, Ow.'' And he'll teleport from one breast to the other!

Leeloo Mina
May 7th, 2003, 03:36:45 PM

I feel sorry for Kurt.. :( He's just so adorable and religious.. He just gives me this sad feeling because I want everyone to just go up to him and hug him. ^_^;

I was hoping they would work the rogue/mystique thing into the movies.. but they're not going to =/

Since Rogue got her other powers from Ms Marvel while she was with Mystique, I'm not sure they're going to give rogue her extra powers.. if they are, I'm not sure how they're going to do that.. There's no way it could be some "accident" since she'd have to hold on for a while.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2003, 09:22:56 PM
I think they are staying away from Rogue being all powerful, she would too much like Superman really. About Mystique that kid from Sabertooth was Creed, can't remember his first name he was a big mutant hater worked for the Friends of Humanity he is now deceased, a Cyborg by the name of Bastion killed him and framed Iceman.

Taylor Millard
May 7th, 2003, 10:22:26 PM
Graydon Creed and can we stay away from Bastion please? I'm trying to forget Operation: Zero Tolerance.

:x ugh :x

Leeloo Mina
May 7th, 2003, 10:37:30 PM
I think they are staying away from Rogue being all powerful, she would too much like Superman really.

But she's totally useless and just needs to be rescued all the time.. She seems to have no pourpose than posing a thread to bobby. :cry

Oh well :(

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2003, 11:44:45 PM
Well she could develop other powers. And Taylor that was a low point in Marvel that whole thing after Onslaught didn't work for me I think the Heroes Reborn stuff was worse myself.

Droo
May 8th, 2003, 04:11:05 AM
Watched an Episode of X-Men this morning. I want Rogue to really toughen up, I wish her accent was stronger and more course like in the cartoon too, sugah. She does need her abilities to improve although I think the whole emphasis on inability to have sustained physical contact with any human being is fantastic. That scene when she's watching a mother hug her son in the train was so touching but now I think that she's a member of the X-Men team Singer might develop her powers much like what he had done with Jean over these two films, hers was similar to that of Jean from the first film.

In the next film I'd like to see an emphasis on Storm's character and personality, definately need a massive boost for the Cyclops character and I would love to see Beast, but they have to stay true to the character and especially the voice. In the cartoon this morning he leapt at these creatures attacking Rogue and tore them apart. What cracked me up was as he did this said something along the lines of "Unhand her you fiendish wretches!" He's brilliant. Gambit can stay in the wings as far as I'm concerned, I think he's boring, cherie.

Jinn Fizz
May 8th, 2003, 06:09:40 AM
Oh, good grief....

From the New York Post:

May 8, 2003 -- MUSLIM groups are demanding an apology from "X2" director Bryan Singer over what they perceive as "anti-Islamic propaganda" in the blockbuster flick. Muslim civil rights group Project Islamic H.O.P.E. and a coalition of other Islamic organizations want Singer to say he's sorry and remove the allegedly offensive content before the movie is released on DVD. Project Islamic H.O.P.E. national director Najee Ali claims that Singer is out to paint Muslims in a bad light. "Within the first five minutes of 'X2,' an evil villain, 'Colonel William Stryker,' is in the White House signing a document," Ali declares. "As he signs, he is shown wearing a ring featuring the Arabic symbol for 'Allah.' Col. Stryker was never depicted as a Muslim in the comic book series. We feel this is a subtle but obvious attack on Islam . . . It is unfortunate, as we continue to live in a post-9/11 world, that Bryan Singer would engage in a subtle campaign to breed intolerance and hate." Fox reps deny the group's claims. An insider says Fox honchos enhanced the images of the ring and were unable to make out any identifiable symbol.

Gotta love the irony...a series that strives to promote equality for all people despite their differences is accused of being racist.

PPPPFFFFTTTTTTTTTT!!!! :p

Nathanial K'cansce
May 8th, 2003, 10:01:19 AM
I don't think anyone besides the Muslims are going to notice that. I sure as heck didn't. o.0

But it's natural for big blockbusters to come under some sort of heat from one group or another. *shrugs*

Droo
May 8th, 2003, 10:24:33 AM
I have come to believe that when anti-racist groups and the like make outrageous claims such as that they are after one thing and one thing only, publicity.

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 10:39:53 AM
I think they are staying away from Rogue being all powerful, she would too much like Superman really.
Notice the fact that she was such a bad flyer at the end? I think that was deliberate. Or as Erik said:

"When will they learn to fly?" :D

Three thoughts after re-seeing the film:

-Colossus is either VERY young or has been held back a lot of times. He looked at least 5 years older than anyone in his class at the end!

-When Kurt says Jean is stopping him teleport, a little smoke appears. I never noticed that :D

-Marsden was the closest to the character he was playing out of the whole cast, IMO.

I love Beast( Who incedentlySpeaks to "Mr Shaw" in the movie), the way how he quotes famous people as he's hitting people :D

But I want no new characters. Any "new" mains should be developed from cameos. And then Psylocke and Gambit should be new cameos. That'd do me :D

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 8th, 2003, 11:28:35 AM
personally I wanna see Gambit, he was always cool.....

who was that guy who went all metally when he was shot at when Striker's men invaded the school? can't say that I remember that character in the cartoons

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 11:44:51 AM
He was in at least one episode. Piotr Rasputin, or Colossus

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
May 8th, 2003, 11:49:01 AM
oh, kk, dun remember him but okay.....

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 12:05:50 PM
Well I don't think they should add any more X-Men, I say give Beast a bigger role, if they can make him look convincing, no Purple Elmo :p I figure no Storm so you would have room for Beast and more room for Rogue, Collossus, and Iceman to develop. Now I would add villains, I add Avalanch for sure (Pyro's best friend). The question who will fight Wolverine in this film, they could bring back Sabertooth and make it a much better fight. Could bring in Omega Red (how they would explain who he is I have no clue) or Juggernaut (same problem there) I personally go with Sabertooth and maybe bring back Toad, Pyro, Mystique and add Avalanch and you would have the true brotherhood of evil mutants.

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 12:13:41 PM
Carr, Omega Red was a Stryker file, next to Franklin RIchards IIRC :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 12:22:33 PM
I didn't see that Reaper I have to look for that next time I see. So do you think Omega is possible? I would love to see him and Wolverine fight it out. I think Omega Red is his toughest bad guy.

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 12:27:57 PM
I think he is unlikely, but it's possible. I think it depends on what they plan to do story-wise. I'd like to think the next one would involve Genosha and pink and purple Sentinels ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 12:30:09 PM
I am not sure about the Sentinels I am not sure if they can work the Phoenix saga and that and finish off Magneto in one story it would be very tough. I would prefer a final show down with Magneto and his brotherhood but that is me.

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2003, 12:32:27 PM
I think they should try and do X3 and X4 together. That way, they could do two stories, with the whole group, and then anyone who wants out would have got to #4.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2003, 12:34:55 PM
That would work two movies is the only you could do the two stories. I still would like to see Apocolpyse even though some people think he isn't doable.

Charley
May 8th, 2003, 12:48:48 PM
I'd prefer Sentinels over Apocalypse. I always liked that part of the story.