PDA

View Full Version : Can we get the full definition of Plagarism on the boards public please?

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:43:11 PM
Because I'm confused, and I know at least two others are similar.

Basically, this is what I don't get.

Darth Vader is fine because, although he has the same armour, name and is a Sith, he uses him differently.

Oddball is fine because, despite having MANY similarities to Deadpool, he has a different name and slightly different mannerisms.

Jesse Custer is fine because, despite having the same name and look (According to Sage), he changed a few things.

It is fine that we have a character with Aragorn's face and surname having a romance with a character with [Liv Tyler's character]'s surname and face, as well as a common use of Elvish.

Boba Fett (I think) and Wedge Antilles are fine, despite being the same characters we know.

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are deleted because they have the same name and pictures, and follow similar stories, despite integrating themselves into the SW universe.

So basically I ask that this question is answered publicly. Where is the line drawn on what is fine and what is plagaristic?

Taylor Millard
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:19:51 PM
Yes Boba Fett is the same.

I think the line is drawn on stuff when it comes from other sources.

There's nothing wrong with using SW characters to my knowledge, after all we do have Leia, Luke, 3P0, R2, Wedge, Thrawn (several times), and Vader (although he's completely different from the original).

But because the other characters are not under the Lucas copyright...then I think there's a problem with bringing in other characters, unless differences have been made.

The rule I use is atleast 3 definative differences from the base characters. And nothing subtle like, "Oh he drinks his coffee black whereas this character has it with sugar."

That's the way I've always looked at it.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:29:55 PM
Yes, but it needs to be set ina rule that if an account is going to be deleted without the user knowing, you can at least say "Well, it says here that..."

Taylor Millard
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:42:17 PM
I could have sworn though...we sent a PM to BladeIce?

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:58:21 PM
At Meras he seemed to not have a clue about it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:37:56 AM
I know nothing about anything. :\

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2003, 04:03:14 AM
Our copyright statement covers Star Wars type characters and uses, but word for word plagiarism of books would be a no no even of SW books. Using direct names, pictures, and mannerisms of characters from other literature, films, and movies, and especially those of hugely popular types like X-Files are just asking for more trouble than any one at these forums want.