PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:25:44 AM
With the reposts of "old hat" jokes, XLinks, and IMG threads, we need a subforum for them.

This may seem like an unnecessary idea, and it is. But I'm tired of wandering into a thread only to find out it's got the same content as another. And then there are the people who have nothing better to do but declare a thread old hat. :p (Kidding, but I do have a point- those are pointless and wasted posts.)

I think an archival subforum to group threads of these types would alleviate redundant postings.

Anyone else think this might be helpful?

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:31:24 AM
maybe I need this explained to me more because I just woke up but I don't get the old hat thing o_O

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:33:53 AM
Old hat = dupicate article, link, fact posted about. Basically someone saying yeah, we've seen that thing before.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:48:12 AM
maybe we could just close them?

Sanis Prent
Apr 27th, 2003, 01:41:09 PM
Why is it even a deal at all?

Figrin D'an
Apr 27th, 2003, 04:12:19 PM
If it's redundant and its a problem, just close it. Simple enough. Making an archive specifically for that kind of thing seems a bit wasteful, since most people whom post that kind of stuff do so almost immediately after the find it... they wouldn't take the time to check such a forum before doing so in 90% of cases.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 27th, 2003, 04:35:48 PM
I agree. Most of the time, it hasn't been a problem.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 27th, 2003, 06:31:28 PM
I'm thinking....

An archive forum...

Nope

Pierce Tondry
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:39:45 PM
Eh, this outcome is not surprising. Carry on then.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:46:28 PM
All such a thing would do is make things more difficult, both for the staff and the posters who actually do look up things to see if they have already been done.

For the staff it would mean trying to filter through posts and figure out which should be moved and then move them, whilst missing some that would be considered either part of the classification or so near the edge of it that its hard to determine.

For the poster that does look to see if the topic already exists, they would then need to check in more than one place.

Most people don't even check, they just get carried away by the heat of the moment and post without looking. Implementing an idea such as this is not going to change people's posting habits, just give the staff more work to do, and the few posters that do check a more complicated aspect to their process.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:31:37 AM
I didn't mean move reposts only. I meant take threads with those tag types and simply archive them when they don't have people posting to them. It would be a bit like having a joke database for online material, and people could go through that forum to see what all it has in it at their leisure.

But I can see the idea is not seen as either popular or feasible.

So. As I said. Carry on then.

Gav Mortis
May 1st, 2003, 05:48:16 AM
I like the idea personally. We have so many "Friday Funnies" and "Today's WTF is..." and "....mmm catbread..." threads now that it would be nice to have a little joke database. But perhaps the best way to go about this is instead of having another forum/subforum, how about we just have one single thread dedicated to it. Say a number of us hunted down all the joke threads and funnies and what have you and provide a mod or admin with the link and they could if possible add the post to the thread. The joke thread would be closed to avoid clutter. It's doable. I think.

Charley
May 1st, 2003, 07:10:37 AM
What about having a separate forum for funny threads (Not threads that incidentally become funny, but ones that are funny attempts outright)

Marcus Telcontar
May 1st, 2003, 07:12:33 AM
Quite a few of those are in Arcan IV / GJO.

Personally, the only time I get even a touch miffed if it's a pathetic link. But that doesnt happen often so....

If you really want to tho, I can run the WTF's in a single thread, if you think it's too clutterly. But not have it closed - half the fun of a WTF thread is the reaction.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 1st, 2003, 06:36:03 PM
You mean, like run one huge thread for all of them (I'm assuming we're only referring to the OOC forum, not the OOC forums on the group boards as well), but leave it open...sort of like the Pic Request thread is?

I think that's doable.

imported_Eve
May 1st, 2003, 08:15:49 PM
What about the miscellaneous forum? Wouldn't this all fit there?

AmazonBabe
May 1st, 2003, 10:32:03 PM
I dunno. Maybe just keeping it where it is would be better so as not to cause confusion and more work for the mods/admins.

Pierce Tondry
May 2nd, 2003, 09:23:51 AM
What, people are still discussing this? It's pretty clear that nothing will happen on this until people either grow tired of the status quo, or a real problem develops.

Until that time I'm just gonna confine my humor related postings to Arcan IV. That seems reasonable enough to me.

So. These are not the droids you are looking for. Move along.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2003, 03:59:23 PM
What you start a discussion and then we're not allowed to continue discussing it? o_O

:mneh

Evil Hobgoblin
May 2nd, 2003, 04:23:32 PM
The issue simply seems quite settled already. Most of Ogre's reasoning applies to the general problem of humor congestion, too. People won't suddenly change the way they post arbitrarily, and there really isn't a good solid reason for them to do so right now.

But you can discuss it all you like. I'm not stopping anyone from doing that, if that's what they want to do. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2003, 06:31:35 PM
:mneh